PDA

View Full Version : It could be worse than Bernie...

cameraman
04-19-11, 04:18 PM
Oh lord, as if the mutant troll wasn't bad enough...

News Corp is in the early stages of exploring a potential takeover bid for Formula One motor racing, Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009115975636) has learned. City editor Mark Kleinman said the media group had held preliminary discussions with Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, the world's richest man, about forming a consortium. People connected to at least one of F1’s big car manufacturers had also been in talks with News Corp in recent weeks, he added. The creation of a consortium that would buy F1 is understood to be only one of several options that News Corp is examining.

Replacing Bernie with Rupert Murdoch, that just can't be a good thing.

datachicane
04-19-11, 04:55 PM
:yuck:

Michaelhatesfans
04-19-11, 05:06 PM
:yuck:

Gnam
04-19-11, 06:39 PM
* All F1 races tape delayed on Fox
* Speed crew replaced with female News bunnies
* Fair & Balanced racing = HRT Wins!
* No more races in the Middle East
* Australian GP safe forever and ever
* American Idol style voting to choose the drivers
* Best chance for an American team/driver?

Let the magic begin... :cool:

NismoZ
04-19-11, 07:51 PM
FINALLY! Things looking up for F-1:rofl:

datachicane
04-19-11, 08:48 PM
Footage from random sporting events inserted without comment when necessary to bolster producers' theme d'jour
Most crazy and annoying driver always in the hunt
(in very small print during credits) Outcome determined by competition results with input from the producers.
Races edited to improve storyline
Constant non-sequitor tie-ins with other News Corp properties
Drivers must embellish livery with items from BlueFly.com accessory wall

Indy
04-20-11, 12:30 AM
Oh for ****'s sake. :saywhat:

mueber
04-20-11, 08:56 AM
Foxified Formula One. I can see it now:
Viewers vote for whom they want to win. Danica Patrick gets a Formula One ride, and a car with 300 more horsepower than anyone else, after doing a bikini shoot for a hard-hiting expose Fox News expose, followed by "At Home With Lewis Hamilton and Nicole Scherzinger." I can't wait.

Elmo T
04-20-11, 09:34 AM
Who is Digger's replacement? :rolleyes:

mueber
04-20-11, 10:08 AM
I forgot about Formula One exspurt Larry McReynolds' commentary, not to mention his insightful interview with, "The first African-American World Champion, Lewis Hamilton."

Gnam
04-20-11, 03:01 PM
"The first African-American World Champion, Lewis Hamilton."

:D

Also looking forward to some Formula 1 jokes on 'Family Guy'. :gomer::thumbup:

EDwardo
04-20-11, 09:26 PM
"The Stewards decisions were fair and my car was well balanced."

mueber
04-21-11, 03:22 PM
A little political intrigue from the Guardian newspaper: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/apr/20/bernie-ecclestone-formula-one

BarillaGirl
04-21-11, 07:29 PM
"Meet the new boss..... same as the old boss......"

Or should it be "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't?"

:confused::confused::confused:

SteveH
04-21-11, 08:34 PM
F1 won't be sold unless it is at a profit which means even less dependence on legacy venues in favor of emerging nations that want to write big checks.

Methanolandbrats
04-21-11, 10:26 PM
Well **** me, that means a Tea Party Team if FOX noos buys Formal ONe. BErnie would halft to be deader than a smelt to allow that chickensmoocher to buy F1

gjc2
04-22-11, 08:56 AM
F1 won't be sold unless it is at a profit which means even less dependence on legacy venues in favor of emerging nations that want to write big checks.

That’s the only legitimate argument against the idea from a fans point of view. Is Mr. Murdoch a patron of the sport? Has he been seen at any in the past races? Then again I think Mr. Ecclestone long past any love of the sport, it’s all about the money to him.

EDwardo
04-22-11, 04:15 PM
Bernie Ecclestone insisted Wednesday that Formula One is not for sale, brushing off reports that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. is interested in taking over the sport...."It is all rubbish," Ecclestone told British newspaper The Times on Wednesday. "Formula One is not for sale. And anyway, we would not sell to a media company because it would restrict the ability to negotiate with other broadcasters."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110420/ap_on_sp_au_ra_ne/car_f1_ecclestone

Mary
04-23-11, 07:35 PM
Who is Digger's replacement? :rolleyes:

Le Diggier?

Mary

Don Quixote
04-24-11, 10:24 PM
:rofl::rofl:

pchall
04-27-11, 05:34 PM
Carlos Slim is in this deal? That should worry us all.

opinionated ow
04-27-11, 06:46 PM
Carlos Slim is in this deal? That should worry us all.

A rather ironic name that. Does he smoke cheroots?

pchall
04-28-11, 01:47 PM
I forgot about Formula One exspurt Larry McReynolds' commentary, not to mention his insightful interview with, "The first African-American World Champion, Lewis Hamilton."

Thanks for the memory jolt. Almost forgot that moment of idiocy.

cameraman
05-03-11, 01:11 PM
Hmmm:saywhat:

An investment firm linked to the Italian carmaker Fiat is joining forces with News Corporation to assemble a bid for control of Formula One motor racing, I can exclusively reveal.
News Corp is working with Exor SpA, which is headed by John Elkann, chairman and chief executive of Fiat (the owner of Ferrari, F1's most important car manufacturer) on putting together a consortium to bid for F1.
Exor is one of the largest investment companies in Europe, owning stakes in automotive, media, sports and other assets.
I'm told that Exor is likely to say in a statement to be issued this evening that it has formed a partnership with News Corp to explore a potential bid for F1.
I understand that the two companies will begin conversations with potential partners in the coming months as well as with key stakeholders in the sport. People close to the situation tell me tonight that talks remain at a very early stage.

Sky News Blogs (http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/Post:136c391f-c0e8-4b9b-9ddf-f10810dc0366)

Trevor Longman
05-03-11, 03:09 PM
As if the series wasn't already extremely biased towards the red team, now it will be owned by them too!? Between them and News Corp I can see all the rational decisions now

racer2c
05-03-11, 03:23 PM
As if the series wasn't already extremely biased towards the red team, now it will be owned by them too!? Between them and News Corp I can see all the rational decisions now

How so? How can a European autoracing organization be 'aligned' with the political ideology of US parties? How would their bias be any different to any other media outlet? MSNBC would be 100 times worse in my opinion...of course that's the rub right? Opinion. The proverbial 'they' maintain that the US is still right of center. But of course that view changes the closer you live to the city. ;)

cameraman
05-03-11, 03:49 PM
I think Trevor was referring to Fiat joining the buyout group.

racer2c
05-03-11, 04:18 PM
I think Trevor was referring to Fiat joining the buyout group.

Opps! Now I get it! Sorry! :(

mueber
05-03-11, 06:15 PM
BBC Report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/13274848.stm

gjc2
05-05-11, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the memory jolt. Almost forgot that moment of idiocy.

I once heard Geraldo Rivera make that same mistake when talking about a Brit who was a black man.

Why do we find it necessary to refer to people by their race?

I find it funny when a white guy and a black guy are in a boxing match and the announcers describe them by the color of their trunks.