PDA

View Full Version : Tire Advice Request

TedN
04-02-11, 12:09 PM
I'm about to replace the Goodyear OEM tires (very noisy) on my 2007 Honda Element SC. Size is 225/55R18. I prefer dealing with local tire shop who has offered the following options:

Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

Base price is nearly identical for both but the Goodyear's do have $80 mail-in rebate which would cover the installation.

I run separate winter rim/tire package, so these will only be on the vehicle in spring/summer/fall.

Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks .... Ted

Insomniac
04-02-11, 03:21 PM
I've found tirerack.com useful when comparing tires.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred)
Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P6+Four+Seasons+Plus)

Unfortunately, they don't have Surveys for the Pirelli, just customer reviews.

nrc
04-02-11, 03:22 PM
We had Pirelli P6s on our Merkur but I imagine by now it's an entirely different tire. In general I felt like they were less noisy and prone to wear patterns than the Bridgestones we ran on our Mazdas for a long time.

I haven't had Goodyears in so long that I can't say much about them. I swore them off a long time ago based on poor tread life and durability.

Elmo T
04-02-11, 05:20 PM
We have Pirelli P4's on the Odyssey. They are holding up far better than the Goodyear's and are quiet and smooth - but they don't seem to have the wet traction of the Bridgestone's.

opinionated ow
04-02-11, 06:53 PM
Don't know whether you can get them or not for what your after, but I ran Continentals for a while and they were by far the best I'd encountered having run Kumho, Falken, GT Radial, Silverstone Competition, Pirelli, Michelin and Hankook on both my sister's and my car in the last few years.

TravelGal
05-27-11, 07:37 PM
I figured I'd give you all your :laugh: for today. Gnam, you reading? :D

So, I need 4 tires.

Cliff Notes version: 2001 Acura TL still has original Michelins. Lotsa tread. Car has 39,785 miles on it but I've been worried about driving on such old tires for a couple of years now.

Two days ago, coming home from the Andaz AKA Riot Hotel, I hit the mother of all potholes on Sunset Blvd. Today, flaterooo. Tire is split and who would want to try to fix it anyway?

Checking www.tirerack.com I come up with replacing with Michelin MXV4 or Potenza (just shoot me now; already I can't get that dancing guy out of my head) or Dunlop SP Sport Signature.

Since I already bought a dishwasher (thank you all) and will buy a kitchen sink faucet (thank you all again) and a new TV (more thanks), I'm liking the idea of the Dunlops @ $456.00 installed. However, Costco with their Lifetime Maintenance pkg (rotation, inflation, flat repair, AND balancing) for the Michelins @ $570 (incl $70 rebate) is pretty attractive. Balancing alone might make it worth the difference. My question is, is the quality that much better?

To hijack my own question, TravelGuy wants to know if he should worry about the timing chain. The mileage is not a worry but the age is. Thoughts?

High Sided
05-27-11, 08:47 PM
hijacked from another forum...

steve
Timing Belt Replacement Interval
Own a well maintained 2003 Type S which is 7 years old this month and 82K miles. Do I wait for the 100-105K miles to replace the timing belt or get it done now?

ChampionFiyah
Wait until 105k miles, its been proven that it could last longer but many of us here advise against it. The 105k interval is in your service manual. Make sure you also change the other belts, water pump, tensioner, and thermostat while your at it, everything will basically be in the same area, it will save you more money down the road to do everythingrussianDude

russianDude
wrong, time is important too. If your car is 8-9 years old you should replace timing belt regardless of millage. It starts to crack up because of age, and also hydraulic adjuster is known to start leaking, and if that thing breaks -- say goodbye to your engine.

russianDude
Registered Member

steve, you probably be OK to wait another year, but I would not wait longer than that. I had my timing belt changed when my car had 65K miles and it was 8 years old, hydralic adjuster was badly leaking, it could fail any time, which would destroy the timing belt

Gnam
05-27-11, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your tire.

Check the owners manual for the maintenance schedule on the timing belt.
It will probably give a mileage limit, but it may also list a time limit.

For example: 105,000 miles/84 months

When you do replace it, might be a good time to replace all the belts & hoses.

I look forward to your next upgrade. ;)

TRDfan
05-27-11, 09:56 PM
I used to avoid Goodyear, but currently have ComforTred's on the 02 Camry and 00 Sienna. So far been very happy with them.

TravelGal
05-27-11, 10:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your tire.

Check the owners manual for the maintenance schedule on the timing belt.
It will probably give a mileage limit, but it may also list a time limit.

For example: 105,000 miles/84 months

When you do replace it, might be a good time to replace all the belts & hoses.

I look forward to your next upgrade. ;)

:laugh: Me: not--(looking forward to the next upgrade although guessing what might be is a bit of kick).

Yes, that's the problem. I've checked the owner's manual. They are read religiously in this house because TravelGuy used to be in charge of making sure every single of them was written, produced, and installed in the car for every make and model of a company who might best remain nameless. HE was hoping against hope that someone would tell us from experience that we could wait even though the CYA manual says to replace it because of age, regardless of low mileage. This is getting painful. :cry:

Andrew Longman
05-28-11, 12:40 AM
Bought a lot of Yokohamas over the years and liked them.

Mechanic friend recommended Hankooks and now have them on TL and Odyssey and really like them. FWIW.

cameraman
05-28-11, 06:53 AM
I went with the Michelin's from Costco, I like the ride.

For my Subi's 16th birthday I replaced every single fluid, filter and belt in the vehicle along with several boots and various seals. Had everything done the same day, it cost $900. Nothing was up to the mileage limit but all were up to or well past time limits. There was quite a bit of cracked rubber removed. Those maintenance schedules were not designed for those of us who average 7800 miles a year...

Napoleon
09-06-11, 03:38 PM
I will piggy back on this post.

I am now looking for replacement tires for my car, a 2009 Toyota Yaris. It came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92, size P185/60R15, which are the most expensive replacedment tires sold for it by Tire Rack.

Prior to the Yaris I had an Echo (which is really just an earlier generation Yaris with a different name in the US) and when I replaced the tires on that, which were also Bridgestones, I bought Michelins, which I really liked. Both sets of Bridgestones wore out quicker than I would have liked and I thought the traction was less than optimal.

Here is what is offered in the size I want linky (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=185/&ratio=60&diameter=15&sortCode=37500&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2009&autoModel=Yaris+Liftback&autoModClar=3-Door#86TR5HARMONYV2)

Anyone have any experience with any of these tires or have any suggestions?

Elmo T
09-06-11, 04:05 PM
We had the RE92's on the Odyssey and were reasonably happy with them - on the high side price-wise.

We still have the Pirelli P4's on the van now. Its getting much less use since the Mrs. is taking the train into the city. The tires are wearing well, but the lack the "all season" performance of the Bridgestone tires. They are "slippy" in the wet and lack real traction in the slush and snow.

DagoFast
09-06-11, 07:59 PM
I am a dyed in the wool Michelin guy so that is what we normally buy. However, that being said, my wife's car came with Hankook Optimo tires and they have been quite impressive. Excellent dry and wet traction, good ride and fairly quiet. They have 20k miles in just over a year now, and look pretty good. She should see at least 40-50k out of them. I just got home from having them rotated! (every 5k)

We always use Discount Tire because they offer excellent service and are all over the western US which usually keeps us covered. The first month she owned the car it got a puncture and Discount fixed it for free. They will also sell you the replacement certificates for the tires your new car came with which cover damaged tires and also entitles you to free rotations and lifetime balancing. She jumped at the $65 dollar cost that day and it already paid for itself when she got a screw in a sidewall about 9 months ago and they replaced the tire for free.

datachicane
09-06-11, 08:24 PM
Wow, Nappy, you really are dedicated to momentum driving. :gomer:

Indy
09-06-11, 10:01 PM
I have a question about tires!

You can go with low rolling resistance to maximize fuel mileage, but does that necessarily reduce traction?

Also, what should you look for if your top priority is quietness?

emjaya
09-07-11, 08:31 AM
Also, what should you look for if your top priority is quietness?

A bicycle.

And, not to any degree you would notice if you are just an average motorist, afaik.

Napoleon
09-07-11, 08:31 AM
Based on the reviews and surveys at Tire Rack and my prior experiance I bought the Michelins. My first priority is trackion, second is wear, and the last ones I bought were very good at both, and the reviews seem to be that what is offered now is very good at both. Plus $70 rebate if I buy before the end of today.

I am a dyed in the wool Michelin guy so that is what we normally buy. However, that being said, my wife's car came with Hankook Optimo tires and they have been quite impressive. Excellent dry and wet traction, good ride and fairly quiet.

I know nothing about those tires but the ones in the size I needed seem to get very good reviews and survey results.