PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 4

racer2c
04-01-11, 04:34 PM
I've been using the new Firefox 4 since it's official release (I don't do beta versions anymore) and I have simply a one word review: FAST.

:thumbup:

Insomniac
04-01-11, 04:48 PM
I've been using the new Firefox 4 since it's official release (I don't do beta versions anymore) and I have simply a one word review: FAST.

:thumbup:

Simple upgrade from 3.6? (I switched to Chrome for speed, may have to consider going back.)

TravelGal
04-01-11, 05:15 PM
I read quite a few reviews of it and they were almost all complaining about the tool bar and/or the crispness of the image. Any issues?

RaceGrrl
04-01-11, 05:35 PM
I hate the toolbar. :irked:

RusH
04-01-11, 05:36 PM
It does appear faster. Although I did disable many add-ons at install.;)

I`m using it now again. I actually like using different browsers every few weeks so as to not be bored. Safari, Opera, Chrome and........ie :gomer:

I use the black theme and Foxy Tunes...that`s it.

nrc
04-01-11, 07:00 PM
I hate the toolbar. :irked:

Try going to View->Toolbars to enable the normal menu bar and turn off "Tabs on Top."

Why do people want their tabs on the top? Unless you turn off all the other toolbars then you have to navigate past them to get to your tabs.

Other than that and the fact that my favorite themes haven't been updated, I like it.

KLang
04-01-11, 07:24 PM
What about add-ons?

I looked last week and most of what I use weren't supposed to work correctly with 4.

TravelGal
04-01-11, 07:43 PM
What about add-ons?

I looked last week and most of what I use weren't supposed to work correctly with 4.

Oh right. That was another one of the complaints. Ergo, I'm not upgrading. Racer2c must be the lucky one. I don't do nuttin' til the OC consensus is :thumbup:

nrc
04-01-11, 09:02 PM
I was actually surprised to find that all but one of my add-ons had been updated. The only one not updated was a dictionary look-up tool and I found a better one to replace it anyway.

High Sided
04-01-11, 09:26 PM
Try going to View->Toolbars to enable the normal menu bar and turn off "Tabs on Top."

Why do people want their tabs on the top? Unless you turn off all the other toolbars then you have to navigate past them to get to your tabs.

Other than that and the fact that my favorite themes haven't been updated, I like it.

thanks, i like my tabs on the bottom :thumbup:

devilmaster
04-02-11, 10:47 AM
It took a few days to get used to the new toolbar, and some of the new features of it...

But i like how the status bar is gone, allowing for more page space.

G.
04-02-11, 11:33 AM
The only one not updated was a dictionary look-up tool and I found a better one to replace it anyway.

Oooo. Which one?

Kids like the toolbar clutter of olde, I'll have to muck with the views.

nrc
04-02-11, 02:32 PM
It took a few days to get used to the new toolbar, and some of the new features of it...

But i like how the status bar is gone, allowing for more page space.

Yeah, very helpful for laptops and smaller screens.

Oooo. Which one?

Kids like the toolbar clutter of olde, I'll have to muck with the views.

The aptly named "Dictionary Lookup Extension." I like that it puts the definition in the drop-down instead of opening a new browser tab.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dictionary-lookup-extension/

mapguy
04-02-11, 05:58 PM

No 'view' option.... These toolbars are pissing me off...

mapguy
04-02-11, 06:00 PM
No 'view' option.... These toolbars are pissing me off...

duh... never mind...

nrc
04-02-11, 06:08 PM
duh... never mind...

Just because they hide it from you doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to find it. :gomer: Dumbest user interface tweak since MS changed the "File" menu to a meaningless icon. :irked:

dando
04-05-11, 01:10 PM
My advice: don't upgrade yet if you use add ons/extensions. I've run into a number a add ons that don't work with FF 4. And yes, the UI tweak is about as dumb as M$ Bob. Change for the sake of change. :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

racer2c
04-05-11, 01:26 PM
My advice: don't upgrade yet if you use add ons/extensions. I've run into a number a add ons that don't work with FF 4. And yes, the UI tweak is about as dumb as M$ Bob. Change for the sake of change. :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

I spent a few minutes searching in vain for the quick jump history selection drop down that was part of the back button on 3. Then it dawned on me to simply hold the back button down for a few seconds and there was my history. Pure luck. :)

nrc
04-05-11, 01:43 PM

Yes, there's this trend, which I attribute to Apple who pioneered it, of making things less user friendly in order to be more sleek and cool. It sucks.

Elmo T
04-05-11, 02:05 PM
I lost my weather and, most importantly, the Woot Watcher. Otherwise, it seems like a seamless upgrade for me.

KLang
04-05-11, 02:12 PM
Yes, there's this trend, which I attribute to Apple who pioneered it, of making things less user friendly in order to be more sleek and cool. It sucks.

I thought Microsoft invented that. :)

I do have a short history with Apple though.

dando
04-05-11, 03:01 PM
and, most importantly, the Woot Watcher.

What he said. :gomer:

I also lost a few developer tools as well. They moved my cheese. :saywhat:

-Kevin