PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Ford Mini-Van...?

racer2c
04-01-11, 04:07 PM
It's now called the Explorer. :D

ok - seriously, the 2011 Explorer isn't built on a minivan chassis (actually its the Freestyle/500 chassis, the underpinnings of the Ford Taurus, Ford Flex and Lincoln MKS and MKT) but I was rather surprised that they went front wheel drive on this large SUV. It was no secret that Ford and Dodge were turning to a car/light SUV chassis, but front wheel drive? Hmmm.

The new 2011 Dodge Durango is now built on the award winning Grand Cherokee platform (unibody) and still retains rear wheel drive with an optional V8 while the third domestic competitor, the Chevy Traverse sports a FWD/V6 platform.

In the exterior looks department, I think the Ford is quite handsome, with the Dodge taking a close second and I'm not much for the looks of SUV's of any size. the Chevy falling waaaay back in the looks department in my opinion.

Interior shots I've seen also shows the Ford to be quite attractive. For what its worth the entire Chysler/Dodge/Jeep lineup have had their interiors refreshed. They couldn't retool in time to meet Marchionne's deadlines for new sheet metal so they focused on interiors across the lineup and the critics have been impressed. probably the nicest interiors Chrysler group has had since the 60's.

Like I said, I've never been an SUV guy, always opting for the functionality of a pickup bed. But I do like the looks of the new Explorer/Durango. If they made a version with a half bed like the Dakota/Sport Trac it might replace my aging Dakota for towing my boat.

WickerBill
04-02-11, 01:44 PM
IMO the new Explorer (and the whole Taurus family) is really gonna be top-notch. Of course, as I've said before, I want Ford to do well because they didn't borrow any of my money to survive... they just made better products.

The Taurus cabin is whisper-quiet, more so than any other American car I've ever been in. The Explorer is a little louder but still calm (by all accounts). The Eco Boost engines are great, and I'd imagine the 237hp I4 is going to be a huge success in the Explorer.

NismoZ
04-02-11, 03:30 PM
So, when does it go on sale? You mean the C-Max, right? (only Ford MINIvan) You can get a 1.6 turbo, 180 hp. Just what Mazda has been asking for, a little competition so the 5 isn't a single vehicle category anymore.:D The Ford will be a bit taller, wider and longer, and a 7 seater ( 6 in the Mazda) but I couldn't wait...got the Mrs. a copper red Metallic Mazda5 GT a couple of weeks ago!:thumbup: She LIKES it!

nrc
04-02-11, 03:48 PM
So, when does it go on sale? You mean the C-Max, right?

That's what I was thinking. :) Or maybe the Transit, which I'm happy to see appearing around town.

Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to like the new Fiesta I found the seats to be unsupportive and the center stack was more off-putting than I'd hoped. The seats and dash on the Mazda 2 where much nicer. Hopefully Ford will remedy that in an ST version.

nrc
04-02-11, 06:04 PM
IMO the new Explorer (and the whole Taurus family) is really gonna be top-notch. Of course, as I've said before, I want Ford to do well because they didn't borrow any of my money to survive... they just made better products.

As a former (and I suppose in some ways current) "Ford guy" I'm with you on that. Some say that it was luck that Ford mortgaged everything before the bust, but the Ford family saw that they were on the road to bankruptcy years before everything hit the fan. That's why they brought in Mulally who was able to have their "One Ford" plan in place before the recession hit.

The Taurus cabin is whisper-quiet, more so than any other American car I've ever been in. The Explorer is a little louder but still calm (by all accounts). The Eco Boost engines are great, and I'd imagine the 237hp I4 is going to be a huge success in the Explorer.

The Taurus is much larger than anything we'd normally consider but Grrl was admiring one the other day. I find them quite handsome from some angles and kind of homely from others.

NismoZ
04-11-11, 11:33 AM
BTW, Ford still owns 11% of Mazda (down from 34%) and that new C-Max IS a Mazda...sort of. Uses a Mazda platform and a few other pieces. Wish I had that little turbo from the Max in the "5" though!

chop456
04-11-11, 12:18 PM
I wish we could get the S-Max w/a 2L diesel...

Andrew Longman
04-11-11, 12:37 PM
The single reason to make a minivan Front Wheel Drive is to eliminate the driveshaft hump to get a flat-floor interior without having to "step up" into the vehicle -- making it more car like.

The former Renault guys who brought FWD to Chrysler in the early 80s (K Car, Omni, all that) were also the ones who pushed first for the minivan concept. Iacocca hated the idea and did all he could to kill it, but they backdoored development mostly without his knowledge.

Good for Ford. I like to see things turn out well for companies that do the right things

Ankf00
04-11-11, 06:18 PM
but the Ford family saw that they were on the road to bankruptcy years before everything hit the fan. That's why they brought in Mulally who was able to have their "One Ford" plan in place before the recession hit.

Mulally ftw. [/boeing]

nrc
04-11-11, 06:58 PM
BTW, Ford still owns 11% of Mazda (down from 34%) and that new C-Max IS a Mazda...sort of. Uses a Mazda platform and a few other pieces. Wish I had that little turbo from the Max in the "5" though!

My understanding was that the the Focus and C-Max use Ford's new global C platform, which is from Ford of Europe. The 3 and the 5 still ride on the previous generation C1 platform.

cameraman
04-11-11, 08:12 PM
All you have to do is take a quick glance at the new C-Max to know beyond any shadow of a doubt that Mazda designers were involved:saywhat:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/c-max.jpg

Indy
04-11-11, 08:35 PM
Mazda & Ford take ugly to a new level, don't they.

nrc
04-11-11, 10:18 PM
All you have to do is take a quick glance at the new C-Max to know beyond any shadow of a doubt that Mazda designers were involved

Nah, that's the latest evolution of Ford's "kinetic" design language (big frown). It's completely unrelated to Mazda's current Nagere styling (giant silly grin) or future Kodo (sucker fish) styling.

I quite like the Fiesta (outside), Focus, and Mondeo. As vans go the C-max doesn't even move the needle on the ugly meter.

nrc
04-20-11, 10:04 AM
Speaking of which, the Taurus gets some 'kinetic' cues and I quite like it.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/galleryimage/CA/20110419/NY_AUTO_SHOW/429009998/PH/1/1/PH-429009998.jpg&Maxw=615
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=CA&Date=20110419&Category=NY_AUTO_SHOW&ArtNo=429009998&Ref=PH

dando
04-20-11, 11:25 AM
Speaking of which, the Taurus gets some 'kinetic' cues and I quite like it.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/galleryimage/CA/20110419/NY_AUTO_SHOW/429009998/PH/1/1/PH-429009998.jpg&Maxw=615
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=CA&Date=20110419&Category=NY_AUTO_SHOW&ArtNo=429009998&Ref=PH

But do the mirrors work? :gomer:

-Kevin

devilmaster
04-20-11, 11:42 AM
I'll still say it. I saw a fully loaded taurus at the naias for 45 grand...

Perhaps a rebrand is called for.... cause i can't imagine the general public swallowing a 45 grand taurus...

chop456
04-20-11, 12:58 PM
Why not? The VW Phaeton was $80K and that....nevermind.

nrc
04-26-11, 10:52 AM
I'll still say it. I saw a fully loaded taurus at the naias for 45 grand...

Perhaps a rebrand is called for.... cause i can't imagine the general public swallowing a 45 grand taurus...

I said the same thing when the SHO model was first priced at nearly $40k. But then there's this:

The average price of a Ford vehicle increased $260 to $30,463 in the first quarter, according to Edmunds.com.
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20110426/D9MRC77G0.html

That's the average price which includes a bunch of Focus and Fiesta models. I think Ford benefited from the big SUV binge which got a lot of consumers comfortable with the idea of a $40k Ford.

Ford's bigger problem right now is getting people to pay a premium for the Lincoln branded MKS.

racer2c
04-26-11, 11:02 AM
Ford Hits The Gas, Best Q1 Since ‘98 (http://blogs.forbes.com/steveschaefer/2011/04/26/ford-hits-the-gas-best-q1-since-98/)

manic mechanic
04-28-11, 12:15 AM
Funny thing about most of the better Ford platforms: They were designed by companies that Ford bought, then had to sell.

The "fiyhunnert"/Taurus/Flex et al is the grandchild of the Jaguar S type (from when Ford had a big stake in the company). The Fiesta/Focus platform was originally designed by Mazda, as was the Fusion platform.

Show me one Vehicle in their current lineup besides the Mustang and F-Series/Expedition (and larger) platforms that was designed "over here", and I'll be impressed. :p

Remember, I'm a Ford fleet mechanic.

manic

JohnHKart
04-28-11, 12:57 AM
Not an SUV guy, the Explorer didn't drive too good on the autocross course that GM set up in Irvine last month (one of their test drive days) but we liked the Taurus. I'd rate the Taurus at the top with other favorite vehicles on that day we enjoyed (like the Cruze, Camaro, Equinox, Malibu, Volt etc...). Also the My Touch system is terrible, couldn't figure out how to do anything, I guess you have to sit there with the manual figuring it out. If I get a Focus, I'm putting my own Pioneer Stereo in.

nrc
04-28-11, 01:04 AM
Funny thing about most of the better Ford platforms: They were designed by companies that Ford bought, then had to sell.

The "fiyhunnert"/Taurus/Flex et al is the grandchild of the Jaguar S type (from when Ford had a big stake in the company). The Fiesta/Focus platform was originally designed by Mazda, as was the Fusion platform.

That's the point of the "one ford" program. Let the different divisions take the lead on what they do best and share it across the world.

But the B and C platform (Fiesta and Focus) were jointly developed by Ford and Mazda in Europe. The current Fusion uses the CD3 platform which is mainly Mazda, but will likely switch to the EUCD platform which was primarily Volvo's evolution of that platform.

All of those platforms evolve and intertwine. The origin doesn't matter to me as much as the result. For example, Ford North America took a perfectly good platform in the original Focus and allowed it to devolve into a ladder day Topaz. It doesn't really bother me if they're relegated to designing the American plate bracket.