PDA

View Full Version : Netbook or Laptop

Elmo T
03-29-11, 08:36 AM
My better half's full-time gig has her commuting into Philly via the train every day - at least an hour ride each way.

She has tasked me with researching a netbook for the commute. She has a Blackberry for mobile email and such, so mobile internet access is not a priority. Looks like they all come with wireless access for in the house. She needs decent document management and portability for on the train.

So - it is worth the portability of the netbook OR is an inexpensive laptop the better buy?

KLang
03-29-11, 08:59 AM
If she truly only needs a word processor a netbook might work. They are limited to 1 or 2 GB of memory and aren't very fast. Plenty for Word though. Bigger issue might be screen size and keyboard size. Netbook keyboard size might be too small for comfortable typing.

More $ but the new 11" MacBook Air has a full size keyboard and plenty of CPU.

racer2c
03-29-11, 09:31 AM
Small laptop > netbook

4x the money though.

I'd seriously consider a tablet too. Files kept on the cloud for easy access from multiple sources. I just picked up the ZaggMate bluetooth keyboard for my iPad, doubles as a case. Very pleased with it. My laptop has been untouched since I got my iPad.

WickerBill
03-29-11, 09:34 AM
What do you want to spend?

I'd suggest an ultraportable instead of a netbook, if you can afford it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/217388/lenovos_ideapad_u260_unexpected_style.html

Elmo T
03-29-11, 09:50 AM
What do you want to spend?

We are at the lower end of that spectrum - probably less than $500.

She wants it for very limited use - just on the train and just for word processing. Even then, probably limited typing: reading resumes and related documents, occasional reports. I don't see it getting any use beyond that.

I think she is less concerned about the extras and more concerned about portability, price, and covering the basics.

KLang
03-29-11, 09:56 AM
A netbook should do that but make sure you have her try out the size of the keyboard and display first.

I have no insight on brands or models but there should be lots of reviews online.

Edit:
An iPad would do the job as well and there are probably some deals on V1 right now. Hard to get more portable then an iPad.

dando
03-29-11, 10:04 AM
I just bought a ViewSonic Gtablet through Woot for ~$280, but I won't have it until later this week to give a review. The reviews I have read are good once the device is rooted and a better OS is installed (although the more recent reviews indicate the current OS is much improved). Also, check the Dell Outlet for deals on refurb netbooks and laptops. I have bought several laptops and desktops through the outlet w/o issues (other than the Windoze 7 upgrade on the most recent purchase, which I finally resolved).

-Kevin

Elmo T
03-29-11, 10:15 AM
I know she'd love the iPad, but I don't know if that would work for her - though with the bluetooth keyboard it might...

once the device is rooted

http://i51.tinypic.com/6xqhwk.jpg <- Me and Kevin talking Netbooks :laugh:

BarillaGirl
03-29-11, 10:52 AM
We are at the lower end of that spectrum - probably less than $500.

She wants it for very limited use - just on the train and just for word processing. Even then, probably limited typing: reading resumes and related documents, occasional reports. I don't see it getting any use beyond that.

I think she is less concerned about the extras and more concerned about portability, price, and covering the basics.

For that budget I'd say check out the clearanced netbooks at OfficeMax or Best Buy, or the iPad 1's at Target. But like others have said, let her try out the keyboard first. If it's too small to type on comfortably, it's going to be a frustrating experience.

dando
03-29-11, 11:18 AM
<- Me and Kevin talking Netbooks :laugh:

220, 221, whatever it takes. :gomer:

iX3kxAA2L4Q

-Kevin

nrc
03-29-11, 01:20 PM
I have a Dell Latitude 13N. Same basic design as their Vostro V13 and Vostro V130. Very thin and light but battery life is marginal (3 hours). I'm very happy with it for my needs, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to a daily commute. It has an aluminium body but the end caps are still plastic.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostro-v13/pd?oc=bqcwrmb&model_id=vostro-v13

To me, a 13 inch form factor is about the smallest for comfortable typing. Maybe lady-hands can go smaller but the keyboards on 10 inch netbooks are really challenging for most people.

Ankf00
03-29-11, 02:54 PM
It's all ball bearings these days

BarillaGirl
03-29-11, 05:21 PM
It's all ball bearings these days

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/1/1242698526_3.jpg

Indy
03-30-11, 07:51 PM
^^^ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But seriously, I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10-3 (a netbook with Windows 7 Starter, Intel Atom N455 @ 1.66 GHz, 1 GB Ram), and I run Office Professional Plus 2010 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 on it. The best thing about the netbook is the keyboard. I am on the road all the time, and I frequently use it to type long documents. The tablets I have seen lack the software and the usability to do this at a pro level, so I suppose it depends on how serious she is.

I picked up the netbook on Black Friday for $150, but it is easily worth the $250 or whatever it would normally cost. It is a bit slower than my full size notebook, but it is like carrying a feather in comparison. I frequently rest it on the palm of my left hand and type with my right as I walk, no problem.

racer2c
03-30-11, 08:09 PM
The tablets I have seen lack the software and the usability to do this at a pro level, so I suppose it depends on how serious she is.

:confused::laugh::rofl: pro level??? :rofl:

The atom is useless for anything without at least 2gb of ram and even then i thought it was a DOG! the Dell netbook I paid $550 2 years ago was such a POS I gave it to my 10 year old nephew as a toy.

Indy
03-31-11, 01:06 AM
My point is that the iPad is not sufficient to effectively create, edit and manage documents for work purposes. And my netbook is totally sufficient to do exactly that. She should buy the iPad if she wants to play, and the netbook if she wants to work. The BEST solution, IMO is the $999 MacBook Air, which is almost as small as a netbook and far, far more powerful. But it is not the best value for a utilitarian purpose, compared to a $250 netbook.

cameraman
03-31-11, 03:59 AM
I've had an iPad for quite some time now and I can't imagine using it for work. Hauling around a keyboard and mouse for it sounds ridiculous too. The iPad is great for reading a pdf or the paper. It is okay for email and quite nice for playing angry birds.

It really depends on what you do for a living and what kind of horsepower your job requires. My work runs best on a fully loaded 17" Macbook Pro.

Elmo T
03-31-11, 06:19 AM
Her iPad envy is mostly about reading news and watching movies on the train.

As a nurse recruiter, she is constantly reading resumes, reports, and screening documents. She then has to generate her own paperwork back out. She definitely needs a keyboard for typing.

Program-wise, it is mostly the MS Office products.

Explaining the tiny keyboard issue, she wants to test out a few netbooks to see if that is even practical for use on the train.

KLang
03-31-11, 08:24 AM
My point is that the iPad is not sufficient to effectively create, edit and manage documents for work purposes. And my netbook is totally sufficient to do exactly that. She should buy the iPad if she wants to play, and the netbook if she wants to work. The BEST solution, IMO is the $999 MacBook Air, which is almost as small as a netbook and far, far more powerful. But it is not the best value for a utilitarian purpose, compared to a $250 netbook.

There are several word processing apps for the iPad that produce documents just like Word. Have you actually tried one?

Insomniac
03-31-11, 02:54 PM
:confused::laugh::rofl: pro level??? :rofl:

The atom is useless for anything without at least 2gb of ram and even then i thought it was a DOG! the Dell netbook I paid $550 2 years ago was such a POS I gave it to my 10 year old nephew as a toy.

The CPU has no RAM requirement. Perhaps you mean Windows 7? However, I don't see why Windows 7 couldn't run with MS Office without any issues. It shouldn't even need VM.

racer2c
03-31-11, 03:42 PM
The CPU has no RAM requirement. Perhaps you mean Windows 7? However, I don't see why Windows 7 couldn't run with MS Office without any issues. It shouldn't even need VM.

Wasn't talking "requirement", the point was usability and Atom based netbooks aren't worth the plastic and silicon their made of. Your mileage may vary. I spit my coffee out when I read the "pro" comment. ProTools HD on a netbook, bahahahahahah!!!

I thought this was about the need to do some word processing on the train with maximum portability.

So...duh...if I'm a trash man, I can't do my job on an iPad. Since I'm an IT guy and they won't let me ride on the back of the trash truck , I frequently remote into various work servers, create/modify Office documents, synch with our Exchange servers for email and calender, all on my lil' ol' iPad, imagine that! Heck, I'm typing this on my iPad from my kitchen while eating white mini donuts...mmmm.

A small, powerful laptop would be ideal, however there is the price premium, larger form factor and the possible need to dock to a monitor/keyboard. Not to mention that no company I've ever worked for allowed personal laptops.

The iPad/iPad2/Xoom tablets kill two birds with one stone, fun and functional. Just my 2cents.

extramundane
03-31-11, 06:27 PM
...and just in time for this thread: Photoshop for iPad demo'ed by Adobe (http://www.webpronews.com/photoshop-for-ipad-demoed-by-adobe-2011-03).

If the sorry VPN client didn't suck like a black hole, the iPad would permanently replace my Dell Mini 12 for all off-campus use.

cameraman
03-31-11, 09:14 PM
That I do not understand. An iPad has at most 64 Gb of space on it, professional photos are ginormous files. Getting files on and off via iTunes is a pain in the ass and slow at best. Printing to anything but a supported HP inkjet is also a pain. And why on earth would you want to put the full version of photoshop on a device where you can't profile the monitor? Your fingertip does not in any way replicate the accuracy of a mouse much less a Wacom tablet. Unless it is a free add-on to my CS5 license it just doesn't make sense.

Insomniac
04-01-11, 02:14 PM
Wasn't talking "requirement", the point was usability and Atom based netbooks aren't worth the plastic and silicon their made of. Your mileage may vary. I spit my coffee out when I read the "pro" comment. ProTools HD on a netbook, bahahahahahah!!!

I thought this was about the need to do some word processing on the train with maximum portability.

So...duh...if I'm a trash man, I can't do my job on an iPad. Since I'm an IT guy and they won't let me ride on the back of the trash truck , I frequently remote into various work servers, create/modify Office documents, synch with our Exchange servers for email and calender, all on my lil' ol' iPad, imagine that! Heck, I'm typing this on my iPad from my kitchen while eating white mini donuts...mmmm.

A small, powerful laptop would be ideal, however there is the price premium, larger form factor and the possible need to dock to a monitor/keyboard. Not to mention that no company I've ever worked for allowed personal laptops.

The iPad/iPad2/Xoom tablets kill two birds with one stone, fun and functional. Just my 2cents.

Atom based netbooks are unusable? Unusable for what? Your company allows iPads but not a personal laptop?

I'm glad that you are able to make so much use out of your iPad, but there are others who struggle to use their smart phones/tablets for a lot more than "read only" activities.

Gnam
04-01-11, 02:59 PM
But seriously, I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10-3 (a netbook with Windows 7 Starter, Intel Atom N455 @ 1.66 GHz, 1 GB Ram), and I run Office Professional Plus 2010 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 on it.

How does Windows 7 perform with 1GB of memory?

I don't want the other kids teasing me, "Uh oh-Too slow-Lenovo."
;)

extramundane
04-01-11, 03:06 PM

On my 2 year old Dell Mini 12 (w/ original generation Atom and 1GB RAM), it's fine. Office 2010 works well enough (unless you're editing a massive slide deck, in which case you should just step in front of a bus anyway) and web apps are fine.

Indy
04-02-11, 02:41 PM

I don't want the other kids teasing me, "Uh oh-Too slow-Lenovo."
;)

It's not that bad. I am not sure how to express it, but my regular notebook has 3GB using a P6200 2.13 GHz processor, 64 bit. My netbook is 1GB with an Atom N455 1.67 GHz, 32 bit. The difference in speed for everyday use is just a little bit annoying, like something opens in three seconds instead of one. Also, too many applications running simultaneously are not a good idea. But for my purposes it is a remarkably useful and somewhat amazing little device.

Like I said, I would rather have a MacBook Air, but I would REALLY like my kids to have $850 worth of food, clothing, etc. rather than reward Apple's stockholders for making their "American" device at a slave camp in China.

Insomniac
04-02-11, 03:38 PM
Like I said, I would rather have a MacBook Air, but I would REALLY like my kids to have $850 worth of food, clothing, etc. rather than reward Apple's stockholders for making their "American" device at a slave camp in China.

It's "Designed by Apple in California". ;)