PDA

View Full Version : New Dishwasher Time

TravelGal
03-28-11, 03:20 AM
This is apparently our "water year." TravelGuy managed to repair the kitchen sink faucet I asked about a few months ago. He also managed to repair the washing machine timer. The sewer backed up (twice) but with wash rinse water not the ugggg stuff and that's been tended to. There is a leak under one of the bathroom sinks that's been there for a while so since we found a good plumber.... And it looks like the copper joints under the house are all about to let go. But I digress.

So we both knew the dishwasher was leaking. For a while now. Dead giveaway was the cracking floor tiles. :rolleyes: Finally pulled the front off and see lots of water pouring out of some plastic thingy (not a hose but a large plastic part) at the bottom. Combine that with a half a dozen other quirks and we're ready for a new DW.

Question is what to buy and where? I like it simple. Wash and rinse the dishes please. Don't need no stinkin delayed start, wash and hold, super duper whatever. Do I avoid the big box stores? Is Sears a big box store?

Thanks for any insights.

WickerBill
03-28-11, 06:15 AM
According to my appliance repair friend, a basic Whirlpool is about the most reliable low-to-moderate dishwasher available, although not nearly as good as they were 10 years ago. In the higher end, get a Bosch or Miele (very quiet, fairly reliable, but parts are harder to come by than Whirlpool or Maytag). Avoid Electrolux, she says.

Andrew Longman
03-28-11, 10:00 AM
Do not get a Frigidaire.

Bought one from Lowes when we put on the addition a few years back. The steam/heat vent basically went straight up under the counter and ruined it. The steam also cooked the motherboard, twice.

After multiple repairs and waits for parts, Lowes manager told my wife to pick out whatever she wanted as a replacement. And spent about 90 minutes of his time helping her sort through options. Wound up with a Kitchenaide she (and I ) love.

Ruok
03-28-11, 10:04 AM
I have had a Bosch for 3 years now. My thoughts:
- Is it running? Are you sure? Seriously? I can't hear it.
- I never knew that dishes could look like new, they get that clean
- I would recommend it all day long, zero issues, clean design, worth the extra $

SteveH
03-28-11, 10:33 AM
I have had a Bosch for 3 years now. My thoughts:
- Is it running? Are you sure? Seriously? I can't hear it.

That might be the sole criteria for our next dishwasher purchase.

racer2c
03-28-11, 11:21 AM
Quite is nice but I also insist on a disposal.

I also swear by Finish Quatum detergent. huge difference with anything else I've used...ever.

Don Quixote
03-28-11, 11:27 AM
We have been having good luck with LG appliances (fridge, washer, dryer), so you might give that a look. The GE dishwasher that came with our house was a total piece of junk.

dando
03-28-11, 11:57 AM
We have a Jenn Aire....not by choice, but it has worked well for the past 8+ years. I have friends that have Bosch and it's awesome and VERY quiet. When ours dies (and I'm assuming that will be soon due to the craptastic cooktop and wall ovens we have that are also Jenn Aire), Bosch will be the choice. We replaced the cooktop with a Kenmore and it has been awesome for the past ~2 years. (knocks on head) And yes, I would consider Sears big box.

-Kevin

KLang
03-28-11, 12:06 PM
Quite is nice but I also insist on a disposal.

I also swear by Finish Quatum detergent. huge difference with anything else I've used...ever.

I'm going to give the Finish Quatum a try. I've been underwhelmed with our 4 year old Kitchenaid but I think the issue may be the Cascade pouches we use.

Article in the WSJ a few months ago talked about changes to detergents forced by the government over the years. According to the article laundry detergent manufacturers have figured out how to get our clothes clean under the new rules but dishwasher detergents have lagged behind.

Haven't had any problems with the Kitchenaid dishwasher, just doesn't clean as well as I'd like.

Elmo T
03-28-11, 12:24 PM
We had a Kenmore, but it was troublesome. A few warranty repairs and a few home repairs - but when it puked out on the floor we were done with it.

Replaced with a Maytag that is serving us well. It is a bit noisy and I've had to dismantle the innards once to clean out the drain/grinder area. Otherwise all good.

G.
03-28-11, 01:15 PM
Got a Bosch for half price at a Sears outlet store.

I would have paid full price.

Only "issue" with it is the drying technique doesn't work well on plastic. I knew this when I bought it, so no biggie.

(the Bosch doesn't use a heating element, so no "top-rack-only" issue. It just super-heats the final rinse, then condenses the steam to the drain output.)

Come to think of it, I need to go home and hug my Bosch.

I love you Bosch.

TravelGal
03-28-11, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much.

I'll look for the Bosch at the Sears Outlet first. Quality is important but so is QUIET.

Appreciate the Frigidaire comment. We have a Frigidaire Elite so might have tended in that direction again. Purchased date is lost in antiquity (meaning a file folder in TravelGuy's office) but definitely prior to the Northridge earthquake in 1994.

As you can tell, I hate buying new stuff. :)

chop456
03-28-11, 02:06 PM
Funny contrarian advice here...

Our '04 Whirlpool crapped out and I called our appliance repair guy. He asked what we had, then told me he wouldn't even work on it - they were junk. Asked him what to buy and he suggested Frigidaire. After a couple weeks of research and asking friends, I got a Bosch. 15% off sale at Lowe's and you can get another 10% if you're moving soon. Just sign up for the mover's kit on their website and they e-mail you the coupon. *wink wink*

Once thing to beware of - the interior of the Bosch IS smaller than most others. I have cutting boards and a stovetop grill pan that won't fit.

I was also warned by numerous people to stay away from the low end plastic tub Bosch stuff. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but I bought the stainless.

KLang
03-28-11, 02:33 PM
Reliability ratings from CR:

SteveH
03-28-11, 03:11 PM
FWIW Whirlpool now owns Maytag.

Don Quixote
03-28-11, 03:25 PM
Reliability ratings from CR:Dang, LG on the bottom of that list! Oops. :gomer:

KLang
03-28-11, 03:38 PM
Chart is supposed to cover purchases from 2006 - 2010. Maybe LG had one bad model year in there someplace.

dando
03-28-11, 04:16 PM
Dang, LG on the bottom of that list! Oops. :gomer:

My mom went through hell with an LG fridge down in Hilton Head. Finally ended up with a Samsung from Lowe's after trying to get service on the island, etc. Keep in mind this is the woman from which I learned the word ludicrous after her 'vette had the 721s from Firestone that pealed apart circa 1975. I can only imagine what those conversations were like. :gomer: :saywhat: :eek:

-Kevin

dando
03-28-11, 04:18 PM
FWIW Whirlpool now owns Maytag.

Correct. And Maytag repair is much more busy these days. :shakehead We actually cancelled and order from BBY back in 2002 after reading some reviews on their fridges. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-28-11, 05:58 PM
When in doubt,
Always go kraut.

TravelGal
03-30-11, 04:08 AM
Trip to Sears tonight to see the major brands. They have "Kenmore" made by Whirlpool and "Kenmore" made my Bosch.

The Bosch models were stainless steel interior but not nearly as nice as the Whirlpool choices. Also $$ cheaper.

As we believe in buy it once and forget it, we'll probably shell out the extra dough to get the Whirlpool. When you open it, run the racks back and forth, feel the heft of the door, etc., it's just so much better made. Presumably I wasn't looking at the same Bosch models you guys have but it's all I could find. Even online at the Sears Outlet.

Might try Loews and check the wink wink discount as we have to see what they've got in mini-blinds. I hear (from the guy at Sears) that they cut them to your size for free, which might mean serious savings for us.

To be continued.

TravelGal
04-09-11, 07:56 PM
After another two weeks of looking at dishwashers, I finally understand all the comments. I realized I'm with Racer2c in that I needed a disposal model, even if it eventually has to be cleaned out (a la Elmo T).

I learned:

Bosch has a zillion model levels "The 200, 300, 400, 500 series" But try finding them all in one place. :rolleyes:

As noted here Whirlpool makes Maytag
Whirlpool also makes Kenmore and Kenmore Elite for Sears
Whirlpool and makes KitchenAide

Lowe's sends you the moving discount coupon "in 3 or 5 days" and we haven't got it yet.

Sears price matches anything anywhere if they can find the same model number on the net for less. Plus 5% of the difference, which is basically bupkis.

Went with KitchenAide near top of the line from Sears because:

Disposal model
Interior upper rack changes position without having to remove it from the machine and set it back in again
Larger in interior than the Bosch models (we have very large dishes). Thanks Chop for pointing that out at the beginning
Same 49 decibel rating as any Bosch model
Racks feel sturdier with a hand grip to pull out the upper one
Extra silverware holder in bottom rack is closer to the door. That sounds silly but I am sure it will keep me from dropping things on the door innumerable times.
Other features like adjustable interiors to upper and lower racks and super zoom power wowee jets at the bottom rear. Will use the former. Will not use the latter. :)

We bought it from Sears. Yes, a big box. We always get the extended warranty because there is no charge for service calls and they come every year for *preventive* maintenance if you remember to request it. They threw in no interest for one year. It comes next Tuesday. THEN I'll know if we are truly happy campers or not.

TravelGal
05-18-11, 03:08 PM
Have been using the new dw for a month and, overall, love it. I never knew the dishes they show all sparkly on TV could be that way in my own home. Glassware, in particular, is amazing but everything shines, nay, gleams. :thumbup:

We find this is even more economical than touted because we use this one even less often because it holds more on the top rack where we put lots of glasses and mugs. Got used to using the 1 hour wash with manual open for air dry. The 3-hour full cycle made me crazy. Turns out the hand grip on the top rack was even more important than I thought. It forces you to put it out correctly straight forward, ensuring the health of the side rails/wheels. The "extra" silverware basket is actually for long kitchen utensils, which is invaluable. We've also recalibrated our ears so we can hear it when it finishes (much quieter than the last one).

Any down side? Very dark inside. Sometimes hard to see what you're putting where. No extra wide spaces for larger pots. Seems to be made for the traditional kitchen where the dw is to the right of the sink which allows you to lean across the front of the dw and easily drop the silverware in the holder on the right side. Ours is the other way around with dw on the left of the sink. Instead of leaning across the dw, I've had to learn a few contortions to get stuff in the holder which is basically right next to the sink.

Happy I bought it? You betcha (in my best "Marge" voice). Thanks guys.

Andrew Longman
05-18-11, 03:16 PM
I think you will continue to love it. We love our Kitchenaid

mapguy
05-18-11, 03:45 PM
Whirlpool also makes Kenmore and Kenmore Elite for Sears

Every appliance manufacturer makes Kenmore and Kenmore Elite. The first three digits of the model # indicates the manufacturer. 161 is Whirlpool, 363 is GE. Can't remember the others.

I'm a former refrigeration/HVAC tech for Sear's Home Repair.

Napoleon
05-18-11, 03:55 PM
I love my Bosch which is about a year old. Best I have ever had, by far.

TrueBrit
05-18-11, 05:25 PM
Come to think of it, I need to go home and hug my Bosch. I love you Bosch.

:rofl::D:laugh:

dando
05-18-11, 06:08 PM
Happy I bought it? You betcha (in my best "Marge" voice). Thanks guys.

Congrats. I currently have a $2500 29 sq foot French-door Samsung fridge in the garage taking up my parking spot since they didn't include an adapter for the water line. :saywhat: They also put a manual for a GE fridge in it as well. :irked: :mad: I had to berate another sales rep @ Sears this AM to go look for the proper adapter, which they managed to find this afternoon (I don't care about the manual since those are available online). Oh, and Sears has outsourced appliance delivery to a contractor. :shakehead

-Kevin

mapguy
05-18-11, 06:20 PM
Congrats. I currently have a $2500 29 sq foot French-door Samsung fridge in the garage taking up my parking spot since they didn't include an adapter for the water line. :saywhat:

To connect the line to the water valve? IIRC Samsung requires a 1/4" compression with sleeve. Please don't tell me you are using a soft copper line...

TravelGal
05-18-11, 07:26 PM
Congrats. I currently have a $2500 29 sq foot French-door Samsung fridge in the garage taking up my parking spot since they didn't include an adapter for the water line. :saywhat: They also put a manual for a GE fridge in it as well. :irked: :mad: I had to berate another sales rep @ Sears this AM to go look for the proper adapter, which they managed to find this afternoon (I don't care about the manual since those are available online). Oh, and Sears has outsourced appliance delivery to a contractor. :shakehead

-Kevin

Sheehs! Sears outsourced everything out here at least 15 years ago so that wasn't a surprise to me. The guy who came was fantastic. We took his card to avoid Sears in the future. ;) Sorry about your pain though. It really is the luck of the draw.

dando
05-19-11, 12:14 PM
To connect the line to the water valve? IIRC Samsung requires a 1/4" compression with sleeve. Please don't tell me you are using a soft copper line...

No. The line to the water supply is some sort of reinforced vinyl tubing. We had an issue with the old clear vinyl tubing, which I replaced years ago after it sprung a leak. The issue is the connection to the fridge tubing, which requires a 'nipple' to connect to the water supply tube. :confused: :saywhat: I bought a closeout floor model ($1900 vs. $2700), so I got what I asked for in some respects. :(

-Kevin

dando
05-19-11, 12:19 PM
Sheehs! Sears outsourced everything out here at least 15 years ago so that wasn't a surprise to me. The guy who came was fantastic. We took his card to avoid Sears in the future. ;) Sorry about your pain though. It really is the luck of the draw.

Delivery guys were great. Sales guys not so much. :saywhat: It took me like 2 minutes to notice that the manual was for a GE. :irked: :shakehead I bought a cook top from Sears just a couple of years ago, and the delivery and install was great.

-Kevin

Napoleon
05-19-11, 02:04 PM
Please don't tell me you are using a soft copper line...

That is what I have on my fridge icemaker - why?

dando
05-19-11, 02:15 PM

I think it has to do with the connector/adapter for the Sammy fridge and the water supply line.

-Kevin

cameraman
05-19-11, 02:31 PM
I've seen enough major water spills from failed 1/4 plastic and 1/4 copper lines that I'm using braided stainless shielded tubing.

dando
05-19-11, 02:43 PM
I'm using braided stainless shielded tubing.

That's what I have as well. Although I never had a problem with copper @ our previous homizzle.

-Kevin

cameraman
05-19-11, 03:02 PM
I've seen two cases where the copper failed at the compression ring due to a combination of poor installation and kinking over the years from people moving the refrigerator too much/far/wrong. Stupid is stronger than copper.

mapguy
05-19-11, 05:38 PM
No. The line to the water supply is some sort of reinforced vinyl tubing. We had an issue with the old clear vinyl tubing, which I replaced years ago after it sprung a leak. The issue is the connection to the fridge tubing, which requires a 'nipple' to connect to the water supply tube. :confused: :saywhat: I bought a closeout floor model ($1900 vs. $2700), so I got what I asked for in some respects. :(

-Kevin

Never seen a nipple needed to connect a water line to a fridge. Any threaded connection to a water valve is a compression type thread. Which is incompatible to pipe thread. I have never seen a compression thread nipple. Don't even think that they exist.

Post an image of where it connects and I'll let you know what you need.

mapguy
05-19-11, 05:39 PM

I am looking at it from a technician's point of view. Having to pull out the fridge and work on it requires more delicacy when there is soft copper because one wrong move and you have a leak.

mapguy
05-19-11, 05:41 PM
We had an issue with the old clear vinyl tubing, which I replaced years ago after it sprung a leak.

Simple fix. 1/4" quick connect coupling. Cut out the leak and pop it on. Done.

dando
05-19-11, 06:26 PM
Post an image of where it connects and I'll let you know what you need.

Page 19.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200807/20080707134950375_DA68-01737D-EN.pdf

-Kevin

mapguy
05-19-11, 07:36 PM
Page 19.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200807/20080707134950375_DA68-01737D-EN.pdf

-Kevin

1/4" compression union. Any Lowe's or HD will have them. Make sure they have a compression insert.

Al Czervik
04-16-12, 03:01 PM
Bump for my kitchen remodel. Any new suggestions / horror stories? I'm looking at a new fridge, dishwasher, stove (electric) and micro-hood.

Elmo T
04-16-12, 03:14 PM
Replaced with a Maytag that is serving us well. It is a bit noisy and I've had to dismantle the innards once to clean out the drain/grinder area. Otherwise all good.

Last month, I had to rip the door apart of this Maytag to replace the door sensor switch. I've also had to clean out that grinder again.

Seems like the Maytag might be trouble. :saywhat:

Napoleon
04-16-12, 03:36 PM
I still love my Bosch.

TravelGal
04-16-12, 04:48 PM
Last month, I had to rip the door apart of this Maytag to replace the door sensor switch. I've also had to clean out that grinder again.

If you buy the exorbitant maintenance contract from Sears, they will come and clean out that trap for you once a year. :gomer:

We still :heart: :heart: our KitchenAid from Sears, as mundane as that sounds.

Methanolandbrats
04-16-12, 05:15 PM
Go to your local appliance store, ya know, the little guy and see what he has on closeout. If it's $400, offer him $325. I buy all my appliances that way :D Just got a HE Whirlpool washer and a Frigidaire dishwasher that is damn near silent for about $750 total. :thumbup:

mapguy
04-16-12, 05:43 PM
I still love my Bosch.

So it wasn't a May to December relationship?

mapguy
04-16-12, 06:08 PM
Bump for my kitchen remodel. Any new suggestions / horror stories? I'm looking at a new fridge, dishwasher, stove (electric) and micro-hood.

Don't limit yourself to buy all your appliances to one brand. Like all Whirlpool. A good place to start is a site like Lowes.com. They have customer reviews. The only thing that Consumer Reports is good for is to line a bird cage.

For the fridge I would definitely recommend getting a service contract. Ice makers can go at any time and they are a minimum of $350 to replace. Also they offer a food replacement protection if your fridge poops the bed. When I worked there 6 years ago it was $350. Plus with the agreement you pay nothing for repairs and get one checkup/cleaning once a year.

I have mixed emotions here. I work for Lowe's but I did work for Sear's Home Repair. Lowe's no longer gives employees commission so you are likely to get better advice. Sears is totally commission based so the sales person is going to push the appliance with the best 'spiff'. Sear's Home Repair offers the best service for appliances. I guess the best thing is to buy your fridge from Sear's and get the service agreement. Then buy the rest of your appliances elsewhere.

From my personal experiences with appliances:

- stay away from Whirlpool/KitchenAid side by sides with the ice maker that goes from left to right. Notorious for the water line freezing.

- stay away from Whirlpool top mount freezers. Notorious for their drains clogging and causing water to leak into the fridge and freezing the freezer.

- stay away from anything Frigidaire. Period. When I worked in the field we called them F****ingaires....

- KitchenAid is a pimped Whirlpool. Electrolux is a pimped Frigidaire.

- GE. For their fridges, if there is a 'blister' on the back it is an LG.

- LG. 6 years ago they were crap. Haven't heard anything bad lately.

- Samsung. I have a dishwasher made by them. Silent. Awesome.

- Bosch. Bulletproof, expensive but bulletproof. But when they do break. Cha-ching!

dando
04-16-12, 06:25 PM

Maytag hasn't bee the same since Gordon Jump passed away. :gomer: They've seriously gone from best to worst over the past decade. I originally had planned to buy a Maytag fridge when we bought are house, but got home, read the reviews and made a bee line back to BBY to nix that order. :saywhat:

Say what you want about Sears, but Kenmore generally gets high marks for major appliances.

-Kevin

cameraman
04-16-12, 06:44 PM
Well my Maytag gas range just lost the oven. There are two bits which combine to turn the oven on & off, one went south but I don't know which. Either way the part is over $120 on line and I'm not really interested in tearing apart a gas oven myself. This isn't going to be inexpensive. The ranges is out of warranty but it isn't that old that the valve should be failing. Clearly built with crap components. After an extremely expensive motor replacement on a front loading washing machine and now this, I don't think I'd recommend a Maytag to anyone.

Don Quixote
04-16-12, 07:45 PM
Maytag hasn't been the same since Gordon Jump passed away. As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. :D

emjaya
04-16-12, 07:52 PM
We have an Electrolux dishwasher, a Dishlex.

It is quiet and washes very well, although, the letters Electrolux sent me saying it could catch fire were a bit worrying and I probably won't buy another one. :gomer:

mapguy
04-16-12, 08:19 PM
Say what you want about Sears, but Kenmore generally gets high marks for major appliances.

-Kevin

Kenmore doesn't make jack. They throw their label on everyone else's stuff. Under license. Look at the first three digits of a model #. That will tell you who made it. IIRC 161 is Whirlpool, 363 is Maytag and ****ingaire starts with a 7.

Andrew Longman
04-16-12, 10:03 PM
I have a Fridgidare. Hate it.

Almost as much as the matching Fridgidare dishwasher we bought that crapped in less than year.

Upside was the Lowes manager spent endless time with the wife to help her pick a replacement... Which turned out to be a considerably more expensive Kitchenaid that he did not charge us for.

Worst part of the fridge is that the freezer shelves are sized right and constantly fall out of the racks. And the ice dispenser can't seem to keep from shooting ice all over the kitchen.

mapguy
04-16-12, 10:14 PM
Worst part of the fridge is that the freezer shelves are sized right and constantly fall out of the racks. And the ice dispenser can't seem to keep from shooting ice all over the kitchen.

For the freezer shelves. Take a (large) level and check the top and sides of the cabinet. Those straps that the delivery people use to move fridges have been known to warp the cabinet. Do you have frost buildup in the cabinet?

As for the ice dispenser. It could be something as simple as the spring for the flapper or the control board opening too long. My hunch is the spring.

Al Czervik
04-17-12, 08:58 AM
Thanks to all for the info.

indyfan31
04-17-12, 10:33 AM
I'll be replacing everything next year along with a kitchen remodel but for now:

Washer and Dryer, both Kenmore Elite (both Whirlpools). Had then since the late 80s. Every couple of years the washer breaks some little plastic cams called "dogs" in the agitator, they're $4; the parts guy shakes his head when I tell him I throw my running shoes in the washer. The dryer got noisy a few years ago so I replaced the belt and idler. Otherwise, both bulletproof.

Fridge is also a Kenmore (probably a Whirlpool), it's about 15 years old. sure enough the ice maker failed, the fan also failed once. Maintenance agreement took care of both. BTW, when the fan starts making a funny noise, vacuum the dog hair out of the radiator ;).

Dishwasher, Maytag. About 10 years old, not a lick of trouble. The maintenance agreement on that continues to mock me on a yearly basis.

I'm going to hate getting rid of those.

dando
04-17-12, 11:26 AM
Kenmore doesn't make jack.

Yup, I get that they badge, but they badge good stuff (our cooktop beats the hell out of the Jenn Air downdraft model it replaced by far). Their prices also beat Lowe's and HD, and I don't do BBY any longer.

-Kevin

dando
04-17-12, 11:48 AM
For future reference...we replaced a GE fridge (Artica) that was a POS in less than 10 years with a Samsung french door model last year and couldn't be happier other than the ice maker size. Doesn't really bother us until my mom and step dad visit and trips to the store for bags of ice ensue (how they survive trips to Europe is beyond me...they serve beverages with little to no ice over there). We have a Jenn Air double wall oven and dishwasher still after 10 years. Dishwasher is noisy, but is still doing fine. The wall ovens lost the LED display (dimmed to unreadable) a couple of years ago, but otherwise work well with temps ~25 degrees low (oven thermometers are your friend). GE over the cooktop microwave was hit once with a power spike of sorts that also look out some outlets and under cabinet lighting a few years. Repaired and works fine except for the turntable that went toes up a couple of years ago (grinding noise if the turntable is turned on...by default...when it starts, hit the turntable button to turn it off and voila no noise). Jenn Air Cooktop was total crap. Burners were under powered (took forever to boil a pot of water for pasta, and the downdraft exhaust just made the temp issues worse. To the curb it went ~2 years ago (and that's $1200+ retail, folks). Washer and dryer are Whirlpool Elite models, and we've had two service calls to fix a problem with the grommet seal and then a power issue on the washer. Otherwise good stuff.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-17-12, 12:00 PM
Map guy: No it is square. The shelves and baskets are just too narrow. And the ice maker is just a mystery. Put a glass under the dispenser and about 2 in 10 cubes will fall sideways and miss the glass. Thankfully the dog likes ice cubes and gobbles them up.

Dando we had the same experience with a jennair stovetop. We bought it for the downdraft because our kitchen layout would not make an overhead hood practical. Weak sauce heat wise.

datachicane
04-17-12, 01:15 PM
Bought all new appliances when we moved into this house back in '96, starting to work through round 2. After much shopping around I ended up buying all of them at Sears, much to my surprise.

GE top-freezer fridge has been near flawless, icemaker choked with a $200 repair tab in '01 or so, not a whimper since.

Kenmore cheapie washer & dryer, top case of washer has totally rusted out around the bleach dispenser like a Fiat 850 in Michigan, literally a 6" hole. Bit of a fiberglass bodge and it's working but ugly. Not a whimper out of either otherwise.

Whirlpool stove with radiant cooktop and convection oven. I swear the sales guy got his tags mixed up on this one, I paid $299 delivered (considerably less than my coffee grinder, as my wife would point out). No issues, although the paint is oddly failing above the oven vent.

Bottom-of-the-line Bosch dishwasher. I absolutely loved this thing, dead silent, little water use, worked beautifully as long as you kept Jet-Dry in it and emptied the food trap (no grinder in these Bosches). $400 board crapped out last year, no apologies after a stellar 15-year run. I replaced it with a mid-line Bosch that frankly is nowhere near as nice as the old one, but does the job.

The replacement Bosch came from Best Buy, first non-Sears major appliance purchase in umpteen years, and it turned out to be a hideous mistake. Sears had the same unit for $75 more and were two weeks out on a delivery, Best Buy promised delivery on Friday for a Monday purchase. They gave me an 8AM-5PM window, so I took the day off and waited for the delivery guy to show. 4PM rolls around and I start to get nervous, call to verify everything's still cool, Best Buy rep assures me everything's fine. 5:15 and no delivery, wife is home so I drive down to the store and collar the first unlucky slob who crosses my path.

She gets my file and right on top is a message from the outsourced delivery contractor dated Tuesday saying that there's a problem with the order and requesting a call from Best Buy. Turns out the delivery contractor was under the impression that, per their contract, Best Buy should deliver the unit to his location, while Best Buy believed the contractor should pick it up at their warehouse. Nice. :flame: She grabs the store manager, whose name I had seen on the nastygrams with the contractor. I asked him why he hadn't called me in the last week to let me know that there was a problem with the delivery, since he had known since Tuesday morning. His defense was that it was the contractor who wasn't living up to their end of the contract, so the contractor should have called me. :flame::flame: I told him that that was their internal problem, not mine, and to kill the deal immediately so I could go across the street and buy the same unit from Sears.

He offered me a $150 gift card and promised me delivery by 10AM the next morning. I told him that if it wasn't delivered by 10AM to cancel the order, and he said I could keep the gift card either way. I immediately spent the gift card. I had to work Saturday so my wife was there, and she called to let me know that the delivery guys showed at 8AM. I went home for lunch, and saw that the delivery guys had put a 6" tear in the vinyl flooring in front of the dishwasher. :flame: Better yet, when I opened the dishwasher it tipped out onto its door. The installers had stripped out all four of the screws that secure it to the cabinets, and three were laying in the bottom of the dishwasher. Out of paranoia I pulled apart the food trap and found the last screw laying in the pump inlet :flame::flame:. Needless to say, when I called the contractor they flatly denied tearing the floor, but offered to send a tech out to reinstall the screws in a 8AM-5PM window the following Friday :flame: but warned that there could be a problem getting the parts :saywhat: from Best Buy.

If there's a more idiotic idea than outsourcing your customer service, I don't know what it would be. Customer service is expensive, but so is advertising, and I can't imagine what kind of advertising budget it would take to offset a few stories like mine.

chop456
04-17-12, 01:27 PM
If you can build a goddamned MP3 car deck, I'd think you could have just built a dishwasher, too. :D

datachicane
04-17-12, 01:38 PM
The wife is too picky.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5061/5683102111_b6785f6bd1.jpg

Rex Karz
04-17-12, 02:05 PM
I have only one word to add to this discussion: Plastics.

When purchasing a dishwasher, make sure the interior is stainless steel. If it is not stainless steel, that means the interior is made out of plastic.

If you wash something like a plastic fork and it happens to fall to the bottom of the dishwasher and the drying cycle comes on, the plastic fork will partly melt and cause a hole in the liner.

We had this happen to us. I was in the basement when the water started coming through the ceiling. Not only did we have to fix the damage to the ceiling tiles, but we had to get a new dishwasher.