PDA

View Full Version : Movies

nrc
03-26-11, 05:51 PM
Lots of people are claiming that it's possible to make a visually stunning movie where hot chicks with machine guns battle robots and dragons and have it suck. But I'm having a hard time believing it.

Anyone seen "Sucker Punch?" I must admit that when I saw the trailer that I thought it might be too much of a good thing.

How about "The Adjustment Bureau?" I love Phillip K Dick's books, but the trailer looks a lot like every other Matt Damon movie. Matt Damon is Matt Damon in "Matt Damon: The Movie".

stroker
03-26-11, 09:45 PM
Hollywood's gone to crap. They're lucky if the entire industry makes one good movie a year.

Ankf00
03-27-11, 02:28 PM
adjustment bureau was enjoyable enough, decent buildup throughout, the last 10 minutes are Matt Damon as Matt Damon, and the ending is Lost-esque in its letdown factor. it's also a sappy chick flick disguised as a sci-fi'ish manchurian candidate/inception type film.

Limitless was without any substance.

Hopefully the Lincoln Lawyer and Rango pay off.

datachicane
03-27-11, 02:40 PM
Hot chicks, machine gun battles, dragons, robots, and visually stunning special effects can no more make a bad movie good than mountains of catsup can make month-old salmon delicious. Some folks just like catsup.

Tifosi24
03-27-11, 04:29 PM
adjustment bureau was enjoyable enough, decent buildup throughout, the last 10 minutes are Matt Damon as Matt Damon, and the ending is Lost-esque in its letdown factor. it's also a sappy chick flick disguised as a sci-fi'ish manchurian candidate/inception type film.

Limitless was without any substance.

Hopefully the Lincoln Lawyer and Rango pay off.

The wife and I saw Lincoln Lawyer last weekend. Although it wasn't the greatest movie I have ever seen, it was more than worth the matinee price, which is better than I can say for most big studio pictures these days.

nrc
03-27-11, 05:20 PM
Hot chicks, machine gun battles, dragons, robots, and visually stunning special effects can no more make a bad movie good than mountains of catsup can make month-old salmon delicious. Some folks just like catsup.

Deep inside I know that you're right. <sigh>

TrueBrit
03-27-11, 06:08 PM
it's also a sappy chick flick disguised as a sci-fi'ish manchurian candidate/inception type film.

That's what I was worried about..thanks for the heads-up..i'll wait for the DVD...and then not rent it..

nrc
03-27-11, 07:43 PM

Ironic since the author of the original story is often accused of misogyny.

It sounds like it wouldn't lose much in translation to the small screen. The eye-candy festival, on the other hand... :gomer:

Ankf00
03-27-11, 08:22 PM
there was a fair share of CGI because of the plot, but not much that was unique or eye popping. the trailer makes the film to look more manchurian/inception than it turned out to be

nrc
03-28-11, 12:39 AM
I could not resist. Got what we paid for with Sucker Punch - two hours of breathtaking graphics and over the top fantasy. Not a great movie, maybe not even a good movie, but we were entertained. Honestly, where the movie really falls down is when it tries to be anything more than an escapist fantasy. The attempts at profundity just kind of fall flat or come off as cheesy.

At least it wasn't a remake, reboot, or re-imagining of anything.

KLang
03-28-11, 08:08 AM
but we were entertained.

For me that is the most important thing.

I'll probably catch it when it comes on HBO or whatever. Haven't been to a theater in years, besides my own.

Elmo T
03-28-11, 09:04 AM
Got what we paid for with Sucker Punch - two hours of breathtaking graphics and over the top fantasy.

I, on the other hand, spend two hours with my 10yo daughter, her friend, and everyone's favorite singing sensation Justin Bieber. In movie form at least.

Well, I was there but didn't watch or hear. As I don't have Beiber Fever, I watched a screening copy of the King's Speech on my portable player while I sat a row behind. No breathtaking graphics but still a great movie. :thumbup: