PDA

View Full Version : Rear wing rules

cameraman
03-25-11, 11:19 PM
Thanks to Will Buxton for this

Here is a very simple guide to how the new DRS wings will be used this weekend in Australia.

DRS can only be used if car A is within a second of car B at the timing beam on the run in to Turn 14, which is noted by a line across the track.

Between Turn 14 and the beginning of the overtaking / activation zone at Turn 16, the driver of car A will be notified that he can use the DRS in the overtaking zone.

If car A is within a second of car B at the timing zone, but driver B pulls into the pits at the end of the lap, the driver of car A can still use DRS in the overtaking zone.

If car A has been lapped by the driver of car B, but car A is still within a second of car B at the timing zone, the driver of car A can use the DRS in the overtaking zone.

If the track is declared wet, the DRS cannot be used.

DRS can be used at any point around the track in all practice sessions (including qualifying) unless otherwise stated by race control.

For reference, the detection point for the gap between drivers is 13 metres before Turn 14, and the activation point for DRS is on turn in for Turn 16, 867 metres before Turn 1.

See it's simple:rolleyes:

Indy
03-26-11, 12:08 AM
Ridiculous.

devilmaster
03-26-11, 12:21 AM
wow. I'm going back to something easier to comprehend.

My taxes.

Insomniac
03-26-11, 01:38 PM
My only question is, how are they notified?

devilmaster
03-26-11, 01:53 PM
My only question is, how are they notified?

Well, once i'm finished the taxes, I usually submit it electronically directly to the Canada Revenue Agency. Best that way because you get the return usually within a couple weeks.

Elmo T
03-26-11, 02:10 PM
Shouldn't the whole track be an "overtaking zone"? It would be in a real race. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
03-26-11, 02:18 PM
Shouldn't the whole track be an "overtaking zone"? It would be in a real race. :rolleyes:

Since they refuse to deal with the aero issues they have to find an artifical way to make the car that is behind faster.

Since we're in this stupid place, they should simplify the system and let them use it anytime they are within XYZ milliseconds of the car in front. Let the driver decide whether it's the right time or not.

nissan gtp
03-27-11, 10:25 AM
didn't seem to make much difference.

let 'em use it anywhere or take it off the car

Insomniac
03-27-11, 12:48 PM
didn't seem to make much difference.

let 'em use it anywhere or take it off the car

At the beginning of the race, I envisioned a Fontana/Michigan kind of effect for the trailing car. Barely any advantage for this race.

TrueBrit
03-27-11, 06:02 PM
Thanks to Will Buxton for this

Here is a very simple guide to how the new DRS wings will be used this weekend in Australia.

DRS can only be used if car A is within a second of car B at the timing beam on the run in to Turn 14, which is noted by a line across the track.

Between Turn 14 and the beginning of the overtaking / activation zone at Turn 16, the driver of car A will be notified that he can use the DRS in the overtaking zone.

If car A is within a second of car B at the timing zone, but driver B pulls into the pits at the end of the lap, the driver of car A can still use DRS in the overtaking zone.

If car A has been lapped by the driver of car B, but car A is still within a second of car B at the timing zone, the driver of car A can use the DRS in the overtaking zone.

If the track is declared wet, the DRS cannot be used.

DRS can be used at any point around the track in all practice sessions (including qualifying) unless otherwise stated by race control.

For reference, the detection point for the gap between drivers is 13 metres before Turn 14, and the activation point for DRS is on turn in for Turn 16, 867 metres before Turn 1.

See it's simple:rolleyes:

Bloody stupid if you ask me...let 'em use it where they want to, or don't bother with the bloody things to start with...

Insomniac
03-28-11, 03:31 PM
Bloody stupid if you ask me...let 'em use it where they want to, or don't bother with the bloody things to start with...

The only rule should be that the trailing car has to be within 1 second. I also agree with the delay to when it is turned "on", but I think at the end of lap 1 before the S/F straight should be when it gets turned "on".

Hard Driver
03-29-11, 01:14 PM
Stupid rule.

All cars should be equal at all times per the rules. Sure both cars are equal to the rules at the start. But get in one particular circumstance (blah blah above) and your car is better than the others according to the rules. That's BS.

Elmo T
03-29-11, 02:26 PM
I'd almost rather they have a limit on the number of activations - regardless of when or where it is used. Similar to the PtP system.

More contrived rules and artificial racing.

Maybe a real time voting system during the race - log in to a website and vote during the race. Whoever wins the most votes gets a big HP boost for the last 10 laps. ;)

Insomniac
03-30-11, 03:59 PM
Stupid rule.

All cars should be equal at all times per the rules. Sure both cars are equal to the rules at the start. But get in one particular circumstance (blah blah above) and your car is better than the others according to the rules. That's BS.

I agree, unfortunately this is where we're at trying to make passing possible.

BarillaGirl
03-30-11, 04:36 PM
If you're better on race day than at qualifying, then pass the car in front of you and gain a position. If not, drive fast and stay out of trouble. And drive your best at qualifying so you can start in the front.

Who needs rules to eliminate passing under certain circumstances, and rules to encourage passing under certain other circumstances? RACE!

racermike
03-31-11, 02:07 PM
Maybe a real time voting system during the race - log in to a website and vote during the race. Whoever wins the most votes gets a big HP boost for the last 10 laps. ;)

Koboyashi would then vault into the lead, wherever he is in the standings

Elmo T
03-31-11, 02:39 PM
Koboyashi would then vault into the lead, wherever he is in the standings

I'd watch that! :thumbup::rofl: