PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

RaceGrrl
03-23-11, 01:08 PM
:) :)

Peter Jackson started filming the two part story this week. I thought he did a good job with LOTR. Emo-Frodo Elijah Wood is back, along with Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom and Ian McKellen. /geeked

Don Quixote
03-23-11, 01:48 PM
Just saw this yesterday:

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/post/711153/the-hobbit-has-begun-filming-a-plot-point-revealed/

[/end nerd]

racer2c
03-23-11, 02:01 PM
:) :)

Peter Jackson started filming the two part story this week. I thought he did a good job with LOTR. Emo-Frodo Elijah Wood is back, along with Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom and Ian McKellen. /geeked

I read that with great excitement yesterday! Can't wait!!:thumbup: I'm also Glad that Jackson is directing.

TravelGal
03-23-11, 02:17 PM
Agreed. Peter Jackson is what makes it. These films are SO well done and bring such positive attention to New Zealand, I was thrilled to see the announcement. Confess that my heart did a little pitter pat when I saw they still had Orlando Bloom on board.

This time they will probably have the sense not to strike all the sets. "Hobbiton" on the North Island (from LOTR) was the only bit left standing (besides those spectacular mountains of course. :D ) and still draws busloads of tourists every day.

cameraman
03-23-11, 02:18 PM
Damn, Jackson's lost the better part of half his body weight.:eek:

Gnam
03-23-11, 03:02 PM
Martin Freeman as Bilbo.

He was good as Arthur Dent in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy playing an exasperated Englishman. I guess a hobbit walking through Middle Earth for the first time is comparable to a human roaming the known universe. In most of his comedy roles he's a trouble maker with a healthy disregard for authority and the rules. That is a fairly accurate description of Bilbo.

Plus he can make a lot of funny faces.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4984/tumblrlfire5sdh21qd6cp8.png

racer2c
03-23-11, 04:53 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the world of the Dwarves come to life also. Not part of the LotR series.

nrc
03-23-11, 05:31 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the world of the Dwarves come to life also. Not part of the LotR series.

Bearded women fetish?

stroker
03-23-11, 07:42 PM
never read The Hobbit. Looking forward to the movie a BUNCH.

WickerBill
03-23-11, 08:27 PM
Two parts! The critics will hate the detail he is going to go into... but it should be amazing

Indy
03-23-11, 08:55 PM
Nerds. :laugh:

racer2c
03-23-11, 09:04 PM
Bearded women fetish?

Lol!

RaceGrrl
03-24-11, 12:55 PM
Two parts! The critics will hate the detail he is going to go into... but it should be amazing

One thing I didn't care for with the LOTR movies was the lack of what I considered to be important detail. (Tom Bombadil and the return to the Shire) I don't think I'll be complaining about additional detail in these movies. :)

dando
03-24-11, 01:05 PM
never read The Hobbit. Looking forward to the movie a BUNCH.

:saywhat: Dude. Srsly. Read it.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-24-11, 01:08 PM
One thing I didn't care for with the LOTR movies was the lack of what I considered to be important detail. (Tom Bombadil and the return to the Shire) I don't think I'll be complaining about more detail in these movies. :)Exactly. I could understand why he left Tom Bombadil out of the LOTR. It would have added an hour to the movie to do it right. Also, maybe Robin Williams wasn't available to play the part. :D But the return to the Shire was my favorite part of the whole series, and they could have done it in another 30 minutes, and taken out some of the sappy stuff at the end.

indyfan31
03-24-11, 01:23 PM
Martin Freeman as Bilbo.

. . . In most of his comedy roles he's a trouble maker with a healthy disregard for authority and the rules. That is a fairly accurate description of Bilbo. . . .

That's actually the opposite of what Bilbo was in era of The Hobbit. He only got mischievous after he came back from his adventure. [/nerd]

racer2c
03-24-11, 02:28 PM
One thing I didn't care for with the LOTR movies was the lack of what I considered to be important detail. (Tom Bombadil and the return to the Shire) I don't think I'll be complaining about additional detail in these movies. :)

I've wasted more brain cells pondering how I felt about variances between the books and the movie that it's embarrassing...I think at least they could have included a scene with Tom in the extended version, but since Jackson et al made the command decision to eliminate that from their telling...I recall reading that when they were writing the script and story boarding, it was debated long and hard to include the Bombadil sub story but came to the conclusion that if they included just one piece, they would have felt compelled to include it all and there just wasn't enough time and since it really didn't effect the over all plot they left it out.

Tolkien himself modified aspects with each re-printing in order to make a more cohesive story line.
What makes the LotR's film so astounding to us fans of the books, is that Jackson and company accomplished the tall task of bringing Tolkeins incredible descriptions of people/places/events to life in film. How many of us while watching the film said "yep..that was the Shire in my mind", or Rivendel, or Helms Deep or Minas Tirith or Mordor etc, etc.
Would any of us hard core fans changed this or that? Probably, but would it have affected the overall production? Probably not. Personally, I would have scaled down the Arwen/Aragorn scenes (that Jackson turned to the appendices to stitch that story line together) in order to dive deeper into the dramatic experience of Merry and Pippins capture by the Uruk-hai.

We know what is coming with the Hobbit due to the precedence of the LotR's. I'm confident of the imagery, but hope that the film retains what I feel is a much more intimate story than the full blown epic LotR.

Wow, I just realized I'd rather talk Middle Earth over politics any day of the week!!!

Gnam
03-24-11, 02:48 PM
Compared to what Will Smith did to Asimov's I, Robot, LotR nerds have nothing to complain about. Besides if Jackson put everything in the movie, they'd lose the "book was way better" argument. ;)

WickerBill
03-24-11, 08:27 PM
Before Fellowship came out, I told some people (non LoTR people) that I thought he could make three movies just out of Fellowship. And I feel that way for all three books.

Indy
03-24-11, 08:56 PM
I was wrong. Not nerds, mega-nerds! :rofl:

RaceGrrl
03-24-11, 08:57 PM
WB, I agree with that... but then does Jackson and the studio get into the same problem George Lucas did when he made the more recent Star Wars films? Answering my own question: no, because the source material of LOTR is so much better...but you get my point. I'm not sure that the average viewer would have had the patience to go to that many films and we dorks can't support them on our own. :tony:

Indy
03-24-11, 08:58 PM
Of course, that is why I love you guys. You know stuff about stuff I would never bother to learn. :laugh:

stroker
03-24-11, 09:20 PM
:saywhat: Dude. Srsly. Read it.

-Kevin

I tried in High School. Put me to sleep. Maybe I can squeeze it in between changing diapers...

TravelGal
03-25-11, 12:20 AM
Of course, that is why I love you guys. You know stuff about stuff I would never bother to learn. :laugh:

Isn't that why we're all here? 'Splains it for me. :cool:

Kiwifan
03-25-11, 12:32 AM
What's this Hobbit thing that you speak off? :gomer:

nrc
06-01-11, 02:08 AM
New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. and MGM announced Monday that "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" will be released Dec. 14, 2012. The sequel, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," is to be released Dec. 13, 2013.

Only 18 months to go. Better get in line. :gomer:

emjaya
06-01-11, 08:21 AM
Forget that Tolkien rubbish, this is much more interesting; Jackson owns a company that builds replica WW1 aircraft.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Oberuresel UR.2 rotary engine reproduction running (http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/oberursel-engine/urii-action)

racer2c
06-01-11, 09:40 AM
Forget that Tolkien rubbish, this is much more interesting; Jackson owns a company that build replica WW1 aircraft.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Oberuresel UR.2 rotary engine reproduction running (http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/oberursel-engine/urii-action)

I read about that in an issue of Practical Photography last year. Great pics with Jackson flying a few bi-planes.

Oh, and I'm posting this camped outside my favorite theater. :D