PDA

View Full Version : Thank GOD!

NismoZ
03-22-11, 03:38 PM
New oil source! "We" have just announced our intention to "invest" heavily in Brazil's deep water oil drilling technology and industry, and when they start to sell big-time we want to be their best customer! Huh, I wonder where all those guys from the Gulf headed when the permits were pulled? Must be "good" foreign oil and "bad" foreign oil?...or Brazil isn't foreign? Seems to fit a few theories out there.

cameraman
03-22-11, 04:06 PM
What on earth are you on about?

This and... (http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/17/dispelling-the-petrobras-loan-myth-as-obama-heads-to-rio/)

This? (http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/21/how-the-wall-street-journal-set-off-a-firestorm-against-petrobras/)

That shining example of internet/talk radio abject stupidity is rather on the political side for this place.

racer2c
03-22-11, 04:11 PM
What on earth are you on about?

This and... (http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/17/dispelling-the-petrobras-loan-myth-as-obama-heads-to-rio/)

This? (http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/21/how-the-wall-street-journal-set-off-a-firestorm-against-petrobras/)

That shining example of internet/talk radio abject stupidity is rather on the political side for this place.

Be that as it may... blogs as references are like no touch lap dances. ;)

NismoZ
03-22-11, 04:44 PM
No and no...seems the Man hisself dispelled those "myths" rather forcefully today. Your political warning here is well taken but I was thinking this was more of an economic issue. Just trying to get a take on the idea that shifting our oil imports from the Mid East to a more friendly neighbor is a good idea? Foreign oil is good or bad depending on where it comes from? My guess is most will think the price is the difference between good and bad.

Gnam
03-22-11, 04:58 PM
Economically speaking, I think Brasil would invest the oil revenue more wisely than the Middle East has.

* F1 drivers vs terrorists
* supermodels vs burqas
* Interlagos vs Bahrain GP
* sandy vacations vs sandy war zones

Ankf00
03-22-11, 09:16 PM
No and no...seems the Man hisself dispelled those "myths" rather forcefully today. Your political warning here is well taken but I was thinking this was more of an economic issue. Just trying to get a take on the idea that shifting our oil imports from the Mid East to a more friendly neighbor is a good idea? Foreign oil is good or bad depending on where it comes from? My guess is most will think the price is the difference between good and bad.

you seem to have as good a grasp of the industry as a fireant

Tifosi24
03-22-11, 09:29 PM
Without looking at the blog sources, I will go off my previous knowledge of Petrobras' big offshore oil finds. Clearly, it isn't the best to go after more foreign oil, but aiding Petrobras, which is arguably one of the world's best developers of deep water resources, could pay serious dividends in the future. The US has a great deal of potential deep water resources, and having a quality partner in Petrobras could help us get to many finds in the future, without having more Deep Water Horizons. As was also noted earlier, I trust Brazilians more than the Gulf states.

nrc
03-22-11, 09:39 PM
you seem to have as good a grasp of the industry as a fireant

Please share your own thoughts, opinions, and knowledge on the topic rather than insulting that of others. I am prepared to be dazzled.

Michaelhatesfans
03-22-11, 09:41 PM
I am prepared to be dazzled.

You poor bastard.

cameraman
03-22-11, 10:43 PM
The US has a great deal of potential deep water resources, and having a quality partner in Petrobras could help us get to many finds in the future, without having more Deep Water Horizons.

Google Petrobras P-36...

Ankf00
03-22-11, 11:23 PM
Please share your own thoughts, opinions, and knowledge on the topic rather than insulting that of others. I am prepared to be dazzled.
alot of this

[QUOTE=Michaelhatesfans;290383]You poor bastard.

and wee bit of this:
I highly doubt you would be dazzled by the fact that there is no "us," "we," or "good foreign/bad foreign" in an open and free global market for commodities. Only cash here or money there. The middle east does not supply anywhere close to a majority of our crude, Nigeria supplies us as much as Saudi/Aramco does, that middle east controls such a great quantity of the world's supply and can choke everyone economically is the issue (more psychological than real, now), not that we can't get our hands on supply. We have corporations, the rest of the world has state oil, while there is no "we," there is certainly a "them," and a lot of different "thems" who all like money.

What's there to respond to when it's a typical NismoZ post w/ no link? I'm not the only one thinking "wtf?"

The development of the Lula fields is not something that was just announced, as if the industry had a joint press release or the like. By 2020 Petrobras is predicting their production to hit 4m b/d, not even half Saudi/Aramco's current production level. Currently Petrobras is pumping 2m b/d. "All those Gulf guys" are bankrupt or spread around the world, if they were the local supplier base they're belly up by now, all their men laid off, if they're skilled labor they're in Nigeria, Malaysia, Russia, etc. with their operator or services firm. They didn't all pack up and head to Brasil except for maybe the folks already with Petrobras

Tifosi:
Lula's a huge hit for Brasil, and Petrobras has more expertise than your typical operator since they've eschewed services companies to keep things in house as much as they can, which is great to help build their domestic o&g industrial base. They received one of the first new Gulf permits along with Noble and a couple others, but Lula fields are supposedly a far greater challenge than the Gulf due to the depth + geology. Another big plus is their safety initiatives after their own failures in the recent past, which cameraman has pointed out

nrc
03-23-11, 12:44 AM
Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

It's ok to say, "What are you talking about and can you supply a link?" btw.

cameraman
03-23-11, 01:45 AM
And by the way if Obama is conspiring to enrich George Soros by pushing this deal with Petrobras why did Soros dump all of his Petrobras holdings last August.

Aug. 17 2010 (Bloomberg) -- Billionaire George Soros’s fund management firm sold all of its Petroleo Brasileiro SA stock, dumping its biggest company holding ahead of a planned $25 billion offering by Brazil’s state-controlled oil producer.

Soros Fund Management LLC, which oversees $25 billion, sold 9.1 million American depositary receipts representing Petrobras common stock and 5.88 million ADRs corresponding to preferred shares in the second quarter, according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission yesterday.

The rest of the story (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-08-17/soros-sells-petrobras-dumps-biggest-company-holding.html)

devilmaster
03-23-11, 01:49 AM
Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

It's ok to say, "What are you talking about and can you supply a link?" btw.

Niz never listens though.... he's been asked by many people many times...

KLang
03-23-11, 08:09 AM
And by the way if Obama is conspiring to enrich George Soros by pushing this deal with Petrobras why did Soros dump all of his Petrobras holdings last August.

The rest of the story (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-08-17/soros-sells-petrobras-dumps-biggest-company-holding.html)

The OP didn't mention Soros. :confused:

NismoZ
03-23-11, 09:59 AM
Well, I was hoping...but I guess it's just all about me. I was merely commenting on a TV news video yesterday of a speech given by The President Of The United States while in Brazil. Do you think he'll repeat it in prime time on all the major networks here? Sorry, I can't link the channel. Maybe you can check Youtube?

Andrew Longman
03-23-11, 10:13 AM
Economically speaking, I think Brasil would invest the oil revenue more wisely than the Middle East has.

* F1 drivers vs terrorists
* supermodels vs burqas
* Interlagos vs Bahrain GP
* sandy vacations vs sandy war zones

I think this thread could/should have stopped right there. Nothing really more to say.

G.
03-23-11, 12:06 PM
Well, I was hoping...but I guess it's just all about me. I was merely commenting on a TV news video yesterday of a speech given by The President Of The United States while in Brazil. Do you think he'll repeat it in prime time on all the major networks here? Sorry, I can't link the channel. Maybe you can check Youtube?

This is causing all the fuss? (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/03/19/remarks-president-ceo-business-summit-brasilia-brazil)

The second place we want to partner with Brazil is on the issue of energy, which is why President Rousseff and I also agreed to launch a Strategic Energy Dialogue. By some estimates, the oil you recently discovered off the shores of Brazil could amount to twice the reserves we have in the United States. We want to work with you. We want to help with technology and support to develop these oil reserves safely, and when you’re ready to start selling, we want to be one of your best customers. At a time when we’ve been reminded how easily instability in other parts of the world can affect the price of oil, the United States could not be happier with the potential for a new, stable source of energy.

Now, even as we focus on oil in the near term, we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that the only long-term solution to the world’s dependence on fossil fuels is clean energy technology. And that’s why the United States and Brazil are deepening our cooperation on biofuels -- (applause) -- and why we’re launching a U.S.-Brazil Green Economy Partnership, because we know that the development of clean energy is one of the best ways to create new jobs and industries in both our nations.

Already, more than half of the vehicles in Brazil run on biofuels. Nearly 80 percent of your electricity comes from hydropower. In the United States, we’ve jumpstarted a clean energy industry and we’ll soon have the capacity to produce 40 percent of the world’s advanced batteries. If we can start sharing these new technologies, and leverage private investment from businesses like the ones in this room, we can grow our economies and clean our environment by making, using, trading, selling clean energy products all over the world. That is a win for both our nations.

Ankf00
03-23-11, 01:44 PM

my frustration mainly came from this

sorry for being an ass, Niz

cameraman
03-23-11, 02:14 PM
And my frustration came from trying to figure out what Niz was talking about and finding myself mired in Rush/Beck commenting on the same subject.

my frustration mainly came from this

sorry for being an ass, Niz

G.
03-23-11, 03:18 PM
"What are you talking about and can you supply a link?"

Enable signatures and make this Niz's. ;)

NismoZ, do you know how to include links, quotes, etc.? We can explain if needed (not trying to pile-on here, seriously asking.).

nrc
03-23-11, 03:24 PM
I never thought that responses here were encumbered by having to know what a poster was talking about. :gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
03-23-11, 06:21 PM
I never thought that responses here were encumbered by having to know what a poster was talking about. :gomer:

no ####! this is a sea change right here!:laugh:

NismoZ
03-23-11, 07:58 PM
G...Yeah, that's it, no fuss here...and he said it, "a new more stable source of energy" (Brazil) Sounds like "good" oil to me. And the rest of you guys?...."You love me,:cry: you really, really love me!":cry: I do worry and wonder where the "investment" money will come from, however, no matter the lofty goal. Now, about the ladies who made that Libya no-fly decision...:p

Ankf00
03-24-11, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't take my industry cues from a politician's mouth, not even regarding public policy