PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Pork

High Sided
03-15-11, 05:27 PM
just getting back from my local Dickey's Bar B Q with a bag full of tuesday special $2 pulled pork sandwiches and i must say i crave these things even more than bacon. a local bar grill serves a mean pizza topped with wing sauce, pepper bacon, pepper cheese, jalapeno's and pulled pork, my stomach hates it but i love it! also pulled pork in salad, omelets. in the new show americas next great restaurant pulled pork was in several menu items in yesterdays show.

just curious where you guy's/gal's rank pulled pork and what you like it on or with???

KLang
03-15-11, 05:58 PM
Second only to ribs coming out of my smoker. :D

We've been making a cider vinegar based sauce to mix in. I usually make some potato salad to go with.

Ankf00
03-15-11, 06:15 PM
love pulled pork sammies, especially w/ slaw & georgia mustard sauce. KLang if you ever get to Little Big's on Montrose, grab the pork sliders.

I'd end myself before stepping foot in a Dickey's, though. :D Order of preference probably goes Brisket, Ribs, Sausage (centex german/czech-style), then Pork, though.

extramundane
03-15-11, 06:28 PM
love pulled pork sammies, especially w/ slaw & georgia mustard sauce.

The state of South Carolina would like a word with you, sir.

Smoked and pulled, with a vinegar, tomato & pepper sauce (something akin to Eastern & Western NC sauces mixed together) is about as good as it gets.

KLang
03-15-11, 06:49 PM
From Jamison's Smoke & Spice:

Carolina Red

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Combine and stir.

Ankf00
03-15-11, 07:18 PM
The state of South Carolina would like a word with you, sir.

the other carolina can take it up w/ oddlycalm's ghost: http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=68573&postcount=12 :)

Dvdb
03-15-11, 08:22 PM
Can't go wrong with $2 Dickey's sandwiches.

Local favorite http://www.supersmokers.com/

Good friend of mine is going to park his smoker rig at the local farmer's market this summer. I volunteered to be the money guy, in return for ribs and brisket.

dando
03-15-11, 08:32 PM
Yo, where is the love?

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/

:gomer:

Srsly, I am so jonesing to fire up the smoker, which just recently thawed out with our grill, but the wind and rain has not been friendly the past couple of weeks. :saywhat:

As far as my prefs, I'm not a hardliner either way b/w Kansas, Carolina or Tejas BBQ. I usually don't sauce mine, but sometimes some Stubb's or sauce from the local BBQ joint (City BBQ, which is quite good). And I don't add slaw either. Pulled pork and brisket are pretty much even in my book....I prefer my sausage in the form of brats or keilbasa. Of course the girls got hooked on Sweet Baby Ray's this past summer due to the BIL.

-Kevin

Elmo T
03-15-11, 08:37 PM
Of course the girls got hooked on Sweet Baby Ray's this past summer due to the BIL.

-Kevin

That's the favorite in our house.

My lazy version of pulled pork has the pork in the crock pot with some liquid smoke. I drain off the liquid, add the Sweet Baby Ray's, and return enough of the liquid to loosen it all up. Again, the lazy method, but it works.

nrc
03-15-11, 08:39 PM
Local joint called City Barbeque (http://www.citybbq.com/). Pork + smoke + sauce = mmm good

Gnam
03-15-11, 08:42 PM
w/ sweet potato fries on the side. mmm... messy goodness.

From the Manwich wiki page:

Manwich Heat & Serve was introduced in 2004. It contains both seasoned baby souls and ground beaver's ball sack in a microwavable bowl.

:D

dando
03-15-11, 09:01 PM
Local joint called City Barbeque (http://www.citybbq.com/). Pork + smoke + sauce = mmm good

Hard to believe they got their start converting a donut, lottery ticket, gun shop, etc. behind the former CompuServe campus on Henderson Road circa 1998. You have no idea how hard it was to smell the meat smoking while going into work each day. :eek: Just a couple of buddies who decided to go in together. :saywhat: Now they have almost two dozen stores. :thumbup:

-Kevin

extramundane
03-15-11, 09:44 PM
the other carolina can take it up w/ oddlycalm's ghost: http://offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=68573&postcount=12 :)

That's the kind of talk that could start another Civil War. Them SC'ers is all kinds of possessive about that sauce (and they can keep that vile yellah crap :D ).

My favorite local joint (http://buzandneds.com/#/menu/) was always busy, but has been slammed 24/7 ever since they gave Bobby Flay a pork rib beatdown a couple years back. The pork is smoked just right, the sauce is just enough, the sweet potato fries and mac & cheese hit the spot, and there's a large bourbon selection. I'm not sure a man could ask for much more.

Ankf00
03-15-11, 10:43 PM
sounds like a badass spot.

same happened to a bbq trailer (now in a storefront as of this week) opened about 2 years ago in central austin, Franklin (http://www.franklinbarbecue.com/), ribs & brisket every bit as good as the top CenTex places oddlycalm and I have mentioned here, but it's popped up in a bunch of foodie blogs and is absolutely slammed now.

cherry on top: really good pulled pork & dublin dr. pepper (and big red in bottles)

dando
03-15-11, 10:54 PM
I heart Rudy's.

Fixerated. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-16-11, 08:32 AM
w/ sweet potato fries on the side. mmm... messy goodness.

One of our local restaurants serves a baked sweet potato with cinnamon honey butter on top. Yum, yum, yum.

I don't do slaw on top of the pulled pork. The whole "cold slaw with mayo on top of hot food" thing freaks me out. Just give me slaw on the side and I'm a happy camper.

extramundane
03-16-11, 08:40 AM
I don't do slaw on top of the pulled pork. The whole "cold slaw with mayo on top of hot food" thing freaks me out. Just give me slaw on the side and I'm a happy camper.

Western NC does a "Red Slaw" traditionally- it's made with vinegar and ketchup (often just their BBQ sauce) rather than mayo. It's a much better fit, I think...and not just because mayonnaise freaks me the hell out.

racer2c
03-16-11, 09:01 AM
I only went one place for a pulled pork sandwich...Allman's in Fredericksburg VA. Opened in '54, Allmans is old school VA BBQ.

Don Quixote
03-16-11, 09:58 AM
When we make them at home, we do the Carolina style sauce and lots of creamy cole slaw. Buttered and toasted bun is also required. Also, here's another vote for that City BBQ in Columbus. Perhaps the best I have ever had. Columbus is not known for its BBQ, but it is known for its fat people. :D

High Sided
03-16-11, 10:57 AM
Can't go wrong with $2 Dickey's sandwiches.

Local favorite http://www.supersmokers.com/

Good friend of mine is going to park his smoker rig at the local farmer's market this summer. I volunteered to be the money guy, in return for ribs and brisket.

SuperSmokers is another great bbq. We had one in rock hill but something went wrong a few years back and all the supersmokers went under except the eureka location. i think the owner over expanded and didn't pay taxes or something, the employees were left clueless until closing. Since then we have had a Bandana's and plush pig move into the neighborhood neither of which are any good in my opinion, plush pig is just nasty dirty.
Dickey's opened up in brentwood 5 minutes from my house in December and i've been making a weekly visit ever since. the brentwood location was added to applegates deli and offers the $2 sandwiches every tuesday. they also offer free Dill pickles and free soft serve ice cream to their customers. they serve rootbeer from the fountain so it's hard not to create a rootbeer float when eating at the store.

what farmers market???

Dvdb
03-16-11, 12:05 PM
Yep. Dad and I walked into Applegates's a few months ago for our monthly lunch and were surprised by the Dickey's shop. Hell, all I was looking for was a bowl of soup. It has since been added to the rotation.

Apparently we're neighbors. Kirkwood Farmer's market.

PS. Plush Pig wasn't too bad when they first opened in Clayton but went downhill as time went on.
Ever hit Straub's in Clayton when they have the smoker out on weekends?

Ankf00
03-16-11, 01:04 PM
doesn't seem much different from a burger off the grill w/ fresh lettuce & tomato?

Western NC does a "Red Slaw" traditionally- it's made with vinegar and ketchup (often just their BBQ sauce) rather than mayo. It's a much better fit, I think...and not just because mayonnaise freaks me the hell out.
vinegar slaw person here too, except for fish tacos, those need a half vinegar half mayo-y slaw.

TKGAngel
03-16-11, 01:13 PM
doesn't seem much different from a burger off the grill w/ fresh lettuce & tomato?

But the lettuce & tomato act as a buffer between the hot burger & the mayo. Maybe I'm just odd.

Ankf00
03-16-11, 01:26 PM
oh ok, I see what you're saying now. thought you meant you didnt care for hot w/ cold in food.

High Sided
03-16-11, 02:48 PM
i remember ordering a bbq sandwich to go as a hung over teen and not familiar with putting slaw or potato salad on the sandwiches i took a bite, grossed out, took the bun off and noticed a vomit pile on the meat, grossed out again threw it away. later in life i realized that vomit looking stuff must have been potato salad.:gomer:

Dvdb....
Hello neighbor,
never been to the clayton straubs or the kirkwood market. shafly's has a good farmers market but just driven by usually coming back from www.3monkeysstl.com
three monkey's has the "fire in the hole" pizza with pulled pork. their nachos have the pulled pork also. you can't top the half price happy hour "lobster rangoon w/sweet chili sauce" that gets us there at least once a week.

let me know if you help your friend in kirkwood and i'll come try it.

Dvdb
03-16-11, 03:04 PM
Will do.

Like every good american male, he thinks his bbq is the best. Will give him credit, he has taken some awards at the competition in Wildwood. But he uses Rendevous (too much) as his rub and his sauce is a bit bland. Made him a batch of Alton's rub to try. And gave him a bottle of http://www.blueshog.com/website/main.html

I'kk have to try three monkey's. Menu looks damn good

Ankf00
03-16-11, 03:31 PM
thing about competition bbq is that so much more goes into it beyond just making the best pork/brisket/etc