PDA

View Full Version : I never thought I would say this....

Pages : [1] 2

dando
03-09-11, 01:30 PM
but Tressel is a dumbass.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/web/index.html

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/03/09/11/Hooley-Are-You-Kidding/landing_ohiostate.html?blockID=436437&feedID=3724

Personally, I think he should have been canned. :irked:

-Kevin

High Sided
03-09-11, 01:39 PM
never thought to delete the emails??? :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
03-09-11, 01:47 PM
I was going to say something yesterday when I saw this, but... :gomer:

In reality, they rules are, at this point, stupid.

That said, breaking the rules to get a free tattoo is stupid. If you are going to take a risk, go large.

But when Tressel found out about it, it was such a minor thing he should have reported it. Why not? Why risk it? Stupid.

IMO Tressel/tOSU football is a probably pretty clean -- especially compared to others. I don't think he should have been fired, but I hoped it. He irritates me, but I respect his approach to the game. Better than many these days.

There. That's pretty big of me. No?

Actually not hard as badly as the UofM program is these days. :gomer:

Don Quixote
03-09-11, 02:14 PM
When I read the emails, I just shook my head. How could he not have taken these to legal counsel upon receipt? 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing to have, but his story just isn't cutting it with me. Part of me thinks that he did kick the memos upstairs, and the school sat on them. That would mean that Tressel is taking one for the team. This is all making me sick.

dando
03-09-11, 02:16 PM
I was going to say something yesterday when I saw this, but... :gomer:

In reality, they rules are, at this point, stupid.

That said, breaking the rules to get a free tattoo is stupid. If you are going to take a risk, go large.

But when Tressel found out about it, it was such a minor thing he should have reported it. Why not? Why risk it? Stupid.

IMO Tressel/tOSU football is a probably pretty clean -- especially compared to others. I don't think he should have been fired, but I hoped it. He irritates me, but I respect his approach to the game. Better than many these days.

There. That's pretty big of me. No?

Actually not hard as badly as the UofM program is these days. :gomer:

What gets me about this is WTF is an attorney who meets with a 'client' doing sending e-mails about the investigation and after his meeting with a 'client'? Tress did wrong, but this jacktard should be investigated as well. :shakehead

And yes, I can take my lumps as well as give them out. :gomer: I am sickened and disgraced by this, especially after reading the details about it after watching the clown show they held last night. :saywhat: :irked: :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
03-09-11, 02:18 PM
never thought to delete the emails??? :saywhat:

Public records. Many corps and all government entities require that e-mails be stored for a period of time...if not by the user, but my the IT department. No more shredding the evidence ala Iran-Contra.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-09-11, 02:24 PM
Tress did wrong, but this jacktard should be investigated as well. -Kevin Will this jacktard be disbarred and perhaps charged with leaking info from a federal investigation?

dando
03-09-11, 02:31 PM
Will this jacktard be disbarred and perhaps charged with leaking info from a federal investigation?

Wasn't awesome that they redacted the 411 about the lawyer (among other details), and left Tress' e-mail address in the e-mails? :saywhat: Even more sad is that OSU has been educating fans about 'booster' activities and how to report them over the past several seasons, and this idiot 'reports' them to the coach. Again, not defending anything on the part of OSU, but the 'lawyer' was unethical as well, and should be investigated and sanctioned or disbarred.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-09-11, 02:46 PM
School newspaper editorial says he should be fired.

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/give-tressel-the-boot-1.2083500

dando
03-09-11, 02:52 PM

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/give-tressel-the-boot-1.2083500

Jim O'Brien. :irked:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-09-11, 02:53 PM
Will there be more sanctions from the NCAA? Wouldn't proper disclosure have affected the 2010 season?

dando
03-09-11, 02:56 PM
Will there be more sanctions from the NCAA? Wouldn't proper disclosure have affected the 2010 season?

1. I'll wager there will be more penalties coming. The fat lady hasn't sung yet by far. :saywhat:

2. Hard to tell w/o knowing who was involved initially. The e-mails show 2 players, but the names were redacted. One can one assume that TP was one that was mentioned.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-09-11, 03:13 PM

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/give-tressel-the-boot-1.2083500Wow. Good for them. srsly.

tOSU and people of Ohio will never be among the mopes in Alabama, Texas, SoCal, etc. who would never fire a cheat on principle alone (IMO)

Well, maybe not tOSU muckattymucks. They already said they won't fire him.

I hear Rich Rod is looking for work. ;)

Don Quixote
03-09-11, 03:17 PM
Jerk. :p

dando
03-09-11, 03:17 PM

He's going to Big Red R after Schiano leaves for the PSU job. :p :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-09-11, 03:25 PM
tOSU and people of Ohio will never be among the mopes in Texas, SoCal, etc. who would never fire a cheat on principle alone (IMO)

f'ing A. you call that cheating? I'll show you cheating... :gomer:

Gnam
03-09-11, 03:51 PM
serious. A tattoo? Better call the Feds. ;)

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7929/cheatforever.jpg

Don Quixote
03-09-11, 03:56 PM
True, Carroll never stood up in front of the hot lights and had a painfully awkward press conference.

dando
03-09-11, 04:02 PM
serious. A tattoo? Better call the Feds. ;)

Yes, U$C cast a blind eye to the Bush, Mayo, McKnight, etc shenanigans. But the point with Tress is that he lied/mislead the investigators when he clearly could have come clean multiple times. The more I hear about this makes me more sick to my stomach. Oh, and the local press is going after this like rabid dogs. No homer press here. Funny thing is that I read a letter to the sports editor in the paper Sunday calling for fans not to be so critical. :laugh: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-09-11, 04:16 PM
ncaa couldn't do anything about the tattoos after they let the $180K slide, and if they do anything about it now they have to get on Oregon's $25K to Lyles

devilmaster
03-09-11, 04:16 PM
So let me get this straight....

Instead of finding this out before the sugar bowl like he claimed, he knew, because of emails from a federal drug investigation, he found out before the 2010 season or mid season....

Because he was so worried about the severity of this investigation, he chose not to tell his bosses or the compliancy officer? He let kids play that he knew were not in compliance. When push comes to shove last fall, he says he just found out(an apparent flat out lie), and that the 5 will be suspended.

During this time, it gets out TP gets pulled over a few times in nice new loaner cars, always because his car is in the shop. We also have to take at face value that threy only ever got tattoos and no money.

Now once the new revelation came out yesterday, a hastily arranged news conference the same day, he admits he knew all 2010, withheld it, and let the kids play.

Now a number of over 300 is being brandied about that is the number of violations OSU has had under tressell....

He should be gone, plain and simple. And Jim delaney goes too. Your actions to help defend osu so that the your precious bcs bowl didn't lose any money.

I hope the NCAA cleans house USC style. I know the truth though. :/

dando
03-09-11, 05:05 PM
So let me get this straight....

Instead of finding this out before the sugar bowl like he claimed, he knew, because of emails from a federal drug investigation, he found out before the 2010 season or mid season....

Because he was so worried about the severity of this investigation, he chose not to tell his bosses or the compliancy officer? He let kids play that he knew were not in compliance. When push comes to shove last fall, he says he just found out(an apparent flat out lie), and that the 5 will be suspended.

During this time, it gets out TP gets pulled over a few times in nice new loaner cars, always because his car is in the shop. We also have to take at face value that threy only ever got tattoos and no money.

Now once the new revelation came out yesterday, a hastily arranged news conference the same day, he admits he knew all 2010, withheld it, and let the kids play.

Now a number of over 300 is being brandied about that is the number of violations OSU has had under tressell....

He should be gone, plain and simple. And Jim delaney goes too. Your actions to help defend osu so that the your precious bcs bowl didn't lose any money.

I hope the NCAA cleans house USC style. I know the truth though. :/

Not sure how anyone came up with the 300 violations number. The major issues have been this one, the 6 players selling swag and T.Smith. The MC-13 allegations never resulted in a violation (probably should have, tho). There have been a number of issues involving DUIs and a few other arrests, but those aren't violations on the part of OSU. Also, the NC2A did not clean house @ U$C. Petey fled, and they dropped sanctions on U$C to lose 10 schollies per year for the next three years and the loss of bowl games last season and this season (for Bush and Mayo transgressions). Hardly the death penalty that was dealt to SMU in the 80s. This is hardly as bad, but deserves more than Tress received yesterday.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-09-11, 05:05 PM
But the Sugar Bowl was awesome. :D

dando
03-09-11, 05:16 PM
But the Sugar Bowl was awesome. :D

I have a T-shirt the wife gave me for Xmas that will soon be burned ala King Lame. :saywhat:

-Kevin

nrc
03-09-11, 07:13 PM
84zY33QZO5o

Insomniac
03-09-11, 07:23 PM

He could finally coach Pryor. :)

Indy
03-09-11, 09:03 PM
IMO Tressel/tOSU football is a probably pretty clean

You funny.

devilmaster
03-10-11, 01:55 PM
And to top it all off, the program had appealed the 5 game suspensions.

This isn't just about tattoos. Its obvious this shop owner is being federally investigated for drugs. He apparently had -alot- of signed swag of osu players.

He has more than likely spent time with the players. This is exactly what ncaa investigators look for. Everyone involved has claimed only tattoos, but can you be sure? It needs to be throughly investigated. Its now been proved and admitted that there has been one prerson who knew well in advance. If its found out the AD knew as well, or any proof that it was anything else given than tattoos, lookout.

For Wetz and yahoo, the other side of this is the BCS angle. OSU played a bowl game they honestly shouldn't have had. The BCS interference was disgusting, imho. Delaney needs to be gone as well. If this story gets worse, hopefullt it will be the catalyst to change or kill the bcs all together.

dando
03-10-11, 02:31 PM
And to top it all off, the program had appealed the 5 game suspensions.

Actually this came to light during the process of preparing the appeal, according to the local scribes. Agreed that F Jim Delaney needs to go, but that ain't gonna happen. Also, the BC$ isn't going away either unless a major conference restructuring occurs. BTW, there is ZERO support for Tress among the local media and the majority of the fans I have heard from the past couple of days. IMO, they should can his @ss, but they can't until the NC2A comes down with what I believe will be a MAJOR sanction....due to the Jim O'Brien situation where they canned him before the NC2A sanctioned the hoops program. OSU ended up paying him $3.3m + legal fees despite a huge breach of ethics/rules.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-10-11, 03:32 PM
BTW, there is ZERO support for Tress among the local media and the majority of the fans I have heard from the past couple of days.Wow. I'm really surprised. And some of this other crap coming out is damning but in hindsight not too surprising I guess.

I am in full schadenfreude aura glow.

Screw 'em

:)

Andrew Longman
03-10-11, 03:34 PM
He's going to Big Red R after Schiano leaves for the PSU job. :p :gomer:

-KevinNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

dando
03-10-11, 03:49 PM
Wow. I'm really surprised. And some of this other crap coming out is damning but in hindsight not too surprising I guess.

I am in full schadenfreude aura glow.

Screw 'em

:)

Bite me. To paraphrase Sam Wyche..."you don't live in NJ!" :p

Here's a piece by one of the local talking heads who is within inches of going Howard Beale.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/03/09/11/Hooley-Are-you-kidding/landing_ohiostate.html?blockID=436437&feedID=3800

-Kevin

BarillaGirl
03-10-11, 04:26 PM
Somebody remind me again what Earl Bruce did that was so horrible he had to be fired before the Michigan game. In light of Tresselgate, I think I've lost all sense of proportion. :confused:

Ankf00
03-10-11, 04:31 PM
Not sure how anyone came up with the 300 violations number. The major issues have been this one, the 6 players selling swag and T.Smith. The MC-13 allegations never resulted in a violation (probably should have, tho). There have been a number of issues involving DUIs and a few other arrests, but those aren't violations on the part of OSU. Also, the NC2A did not clean house @ U$C. Petey fled, and they dropped sanctions on U$C to lose 10 schollies per year for the next three years and the loss of bowl games last season and this season (for Bush and Mayo transgressions). Hardly the death penalty that was dealt to SMU in the 80s. This is hardly as bad, but deserves more than Tress received yesterday.

-Kevin

smyu didn't get the banhammer for being caught cheating.

smyu got the banhammer for being caught cheating, then getting caught cheating again after that, then getting caught cheating again after that, and after that having the governor of Texas, Clements, saying "Ya we paid 'em and we're going to keep paying 'em long after this latest penalty passes, the **** you going to do about it?"

USC lost 40 scholarships and a bowl ban, easily the harshest anyone has received in over a decade, and it shocked everyone in CFB how severe the penalties were. But USC wasn't being caught and flaunting their transgressions after the fact time and again.

but, again, you call this cheating up there in yankeeland? lightweights. :gomer:

dando
03-10-11, 04:40 PM
Somebody remind me again what Earl Bruce did that was so horrible he had to be fired before the Michigan game. In light of Tresselgate, I think I've lost all sense of proportion. :confused:

He just rubbed the Trustees and University Prez the wrong way. Ed Jennings wasn't around for very long after Bruce was fired. There was some kvetching about how he dressed/looked on the sideline the year before (Bill Bellyache like), and he responded by wearing a suit and fedora for the Cotton Bowl when we beat Jackie Sherrill and A&M's @ss. So he kinda rubbed his critics' noses in it, and made more enemies. He just didn't look/act the part according to some. What really sucked is he lost some key players due to injury or other issues (Cris Carter, Vince Workman) heading into that season.

-Kevin

dando
03-10-11, 04:43 PM
smyu didn't get the banhammer for being caught cheating.

smyu got the banhammer for being caught cheating, then getting caught cheating again after that, then getting caught cheating again after that, and after that having the governor of Texas, Clements, saying "Ya we paid 'em and we're going to keep paying 'em long after this latest penalty passes, the **** you going to do about it?"

USC lost 40 scholarships and a bowl ban, easily the harshest anyone has received in over a decade, and it shocked everyone in CFB how severe the penalties were. But USC wasn't being caught and flaunting their transgressions after the fact time and again.

but, again, you call this cheating up there in yankeeland? lightweights. :gomer:

Well, in this day and age, lying several times is pretty major. And U$C lost 30 schollies and 2 bowls, which had Cowturd jumping up and down that it was too harsh. Of course now he's on the opposite side of the fence now that The OSU is implicated. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-10-11, 04:51 PM
Somebody remind me again what Earl Bruce did that was so horrible he had to be fired before the Michigan game. In light of Tresselgate, I think I've lost all sense of proportion. :confused:Earl got fired because he always had a 7-3 or 8-2 record. That's what happens when you precede Woody. He was fired later from CSU for grabbing a players face mask in practice and getting all up in his grille. I am pretty sure Woody never did that stuff. :gomer:

dando
03-10-11, 05:02 PM
Earl got fired because he always had a 7-3 or 8-2 record. That's what happens when you precede Woody. He was fired later from CSU for grabbing a players face mask in practice and getting all up in his grille. I am pretty sure Woody never did that stuff. :gomer:

Well, he was actually coach 9-3, which of course looked allsome after Cooper was hired until the early 90s. :shakehead There was a ton of discussion about him not getting along with Jennings, etc. and AD Rick resigned over the firing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Buckeyes_football

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earle_Bruce

-Kevin

nrc
03-10-11, 05:26 PM
As disappointed as I am in Tressell, I'm glad they haven't fired him and I hope that they don't. At least not now anyway.

Yes, Buckeye fans, I get it. You want to take the high road so you can continue to be outraged by everyone else. It's much easier to be outraged when Gee has already said that he's not going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

But overall Tressell has been good coach. Good for the school, good for the program, and good for the players. He screwed up badly. I think he'll learn from that and be better for it. I'd rather that he was better for it at Ohio State.

dando
03-10-11, 06:50 PM
As disappointed as I am in Tressell, I'm glad they haven't fired him and I hope that they don't. At least not now anyway.

Yes, Buckeye fans, I get it. You want to take the high road so you can continue to be outraged by everyone else. It's much easier to be outraged when Gee has already said that he's not going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

But overall Tressell has been good coach. Good for the school, good for the program, and good for the players. He screwed up badly. I think he'll learn from that and be better for it. I'd rather that he was better for it at Ohio State.

I hear ya, but the doubts mount. :(

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/631421-is-jim-tressel-dirty

-Kevin

BarillaGirl
03-10-11, 08:02 PM
Earl got fired because he always had a 7-3 or 8-2 record. That's what happens when you precede Woody. He was fired later from CSU for grabbing a players face mask in practice and getting all up in his grille. I am pretty sure Woody never did that stuff. :gomer:

Not Coach Hayes! Perish the thought! :eek:

(Go Clemson Tigers!)

nrc
03-10-11, 08:51 PM
I hear ya, but the doubts mount. :(

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/631421-is-jim-tressel-dirty

-Kevin

Nothing new in there. Just dredging up old news trying to put a new spin on it. What happened to Clarrett again? Oh yeah, he was disciplined and quit the team.

dando
03-10-11, 09:57 PM
Nothing new in there. Just dredging up old news trying to put a new spin on it. What happened to Clarrett again? Oh yeah, he was disciplined and quit the team.

Listen, I hear ya. I want to support Tress, but there is a pattern here. And the MC13 allegations stunk to high heaven. He was just version 1.0 of TPeezy wanting entitlement. :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-15-11, 07:30 PM
street agent-gate is going to make this Tressel business look like nothing.

Oregon, Auburn, LSU, A&M (one of these things is not like the other), Tennessee, USC all involved w/ Nelson, Lyles, Flenory, or any combination of them.

the head coach at Clear Springs (new high school where I'm from, classmate I've known since I first moved to Clear Lake was WR coach there when the school opened) is on the record saying that Lyles visited twice, first w/ an Oregon assistant, then w/ an LSU assistant (but the second time Lyles visited, w/ the LSU assistant, the Clear Springs HC told Lyles to leave the grounds and never come back since he looked up Lyles online after Lyles had visited the school w/ Oregon) when they would come around to look at this kid they had, Trevon Randle, really good LB prospect.

LSU shows at least 1 $6,000 payment to Lyles for "scouting services," Oregon has the famed $25K "National Championship Package" on record yet can't locate any of the scouting videos Lyles supposedly provided. Lyles being paid by the school and also being personally there to visit w/ recruits = booster involvement under NCAA rules.

they're furked.

A HS coach in Louisiana was questioned by the NCAA regarding Trooper Taylor recruiting some of his kids who were associated with Lyles to Auburn, coach saying it was shady.

Oklahoma St. is seriously dirty in the B12.

in conclusion, : popcorn:

Don Quixote
03-15-11, 08:53 PM
I'll believe it when I see it Ank. ESPN won't cover it due to their conflict of interest, i.e. being the official network of the SEC. NCAA's actions regarding Cam Newton and the Auburn mess give me little confidence that they really want to clean things up. According to ESPN talking heads a few tatoos is bigger than street agents, pay for play, etc. I would love to be proven wrong.

Gnam
03-15-11, 08:59 PM
Onion Sports Network...A New Hope. :p

Ankf00
03-15-11, 09:09 PM
I'll believe it when I see it Ank. ESPN won't cover it due to their conflict of interest, i.e. being the official network of the SEC. NCAA's actions regarding Cam Newton and the Auburn mess give me little confidence that they really want to clean things up. According to ESPN talking heads a few tatoos is bigger than street agents, pay for play, etc. I would love to be proven wrong.

ESPN published the first story on Lyles, Fox Sports (Thayer ****face Evans), and Yahoo! published almost simultaneously as well.

Thayer put together a 4 piece special on street agents, Lyles, Flenory, and Nelson including one story on Lache Seastrunk's recruitment from an hour north of Austin to Eugene, OR.

Yahoo! brought down USC & Reggie, Yahoo! + Fox Sports + ESPN.com are reporting this, and the NCAA's already been questioning a myriad of HS coaches and sketchy recruits around Lyles', Flenory's, and Nelson's activities. (Flenory says his 7 on 7 tournament is a TX corp., state AG or comptroller or one of the other elected chiefs said no such corp. exists for Flenory or by his co's supposed name of BadgerSports Elite 7 on 7 or whatever he calls it).

one of Yahoo!'s investigative writers said there's 2 more major pieces in the works, if Tresselgate is an 8/10, then one's a 6-7/10, and the other story is a 10/10

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jMeXBn6TQlY/TNzhB9ie4cI/AAAAAAAAATw/qIdiePTTrwo/s1600/BAD-BOYS.jpg

nrc
03-18-11, 12:55 AM
Tressell asks for and gets the same penalty as his players. He'll be out for the first five games.

"Throughout this entire situation, my players and I have committed ourselves to facing our mistakes and growing from them; we can only successfully do this together," he said in a statement. "I spoke with athletic director (Gene) Smith, and our student-athletes involved, and told them that my mistakes need to share the same game sanctions."

http://sports.myway.com/news/03172011/v5511.html

dando
03-18-11, 11:52 AM
What a joke.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/official-buckeye-station-cant-handle-the-truth-29567

Hooley did not go Howard Beale, and OSU deserved the criticism.

:shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-18-11, 12:00 PM
Tressell asks for and gets the same penalty as his players. He'll be out for the first five games.

http://sports.myway.com/news/03172011/v5511.html

well, tOSU always wanted to hang w/ the SEC, now they can

Ankf00
03-25-11, 12:39 PM

after Tressell was tipped off, he informed TP's "mentor" back home, but didn't inform compliance or the AD

Tressell doesn't survive this

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/03/25/tressels-emails-were-forwarded.html?sid=101

When Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel learned last spring that some of his current players were in trouble, he shared the information with someone he thought could help his star quarterback even though he said he didn't tell his bosses.

Tressel forwarded the information to Ted Sarniak, a mentor to Terrelle Pryor, after the coach received emails warning that Pryor and at least one other player had sold memorabilia to a local tattoo-parlor owner who was under federal investigation for drug trafficking, multiple sources have confirmed to The Dispatch.

Sarniak, 67, is a prominent businessman in Pryor's hometown of Jeannette, Pa. He befriended the quarterback years ago and accompanied him on recruiting trips to Ohio State and other universities.

During a news conference on March 8 to announce NCAA ethics violations by Tressel, the coach said he kept the information to himself to protect the confidentiality of the federal investigation and for the safety of his players.

But Tressel also nodded his head and said "um-hmm" when asked whether he had forwarded the emails to anyone.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith quickly intervened to prevent Tressel from answering that question about the matter currently under investigation by the NCAA. The university suspended Tressel for the first five games of the coming football season and fined him $250,000 for failing to report the information to Ohio State officials or the NCAA, but the NCAA could accept or increase the penalties when it issues a final ruling.

dando
03-25-11, 12:48 PM
Nope. He'll survive. Heck, he may fire Gee first. :gomer: :saywhat: :shakehead Expect the hammer to come down for repeat offender, tho. :irked:

I give him 2 years for Urban to get his **** together before the transition.

BTW, anyone who watched the clown show knew there was something more to this in regards to the notification. No surprise here.

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-26-11, 12:20 AM
the more he's caught in his lies, the more i think - why didn't you just come out with it.

Every media outlet is now going to look for any inaccuracy, any slip up whether real or coincidental.

'I was asked for confidentiality and gave it, but felt a need to also insure the well being of one of my players in the face of illegal drugs.' or something to that effect.

He's making it worse for himself and unfortunately, even worse for the program.

dando
03-26-11, 12:44 PM
the more he's caught in his lies, the more i think - why didn't you just come out with it.

Every media outlet is now going to look for any inaccuracy, any slip up whether real or coincidental.

'I was asked for confidentiality and gave it, but felt a need to also insure the well being of one of my players in the face of illegal drugs.' or something to that effect.

He's making it worse for himself and unfortunately, even worse for the program.

Agreed. He's digging/dug his grave. Sad, but IMO, we only know about 10% of the crap that goes on in college sports/AAU. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-26-11, 03:31 PM
he's a liar and a cheat.

while I've never liked tOSU, I came around on him, bought into him being one of the few principled, good men in that profession, not a two-faced **** like Saban or Carroll (another guy who I sadly once thought was of character).

in retrospect, he is like Carroll, while not a scumbag like Jackie Sherrill or Barry Switzer, he's a con artist w/ image, which makes him almost as bad. and I find that disheartening with the detrioration of college sport. basketball was lost a decade ago, and after the cleanup job of the 70's and 80's and 90's apparently football's heading that way

devilmaster
05-26-11, 07:40 PM
Wetz comes out and stirs the pot again, just to remind everyone what is going on...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_ohio_state_needs_to_get_serious_052611

On Dec. 23, 2010, Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith sat at a news conference announcing the suspension of five Buckeye players for selling memorabilia and declared the case was closed.

Yet Smith said the Buckeyes had checked it all out in 11 days flat.

No other NCAA violations …

Sitting next to Smith was coach Jim Tressel, who in fact had committed other NCAA violations all by himself. Eight months prior he’d been made aware of the memorabilia sales but stayed quiet and covered it up. He then knowingly played ineligible players for the entire 2010 season and then let his athletic director lie for him that December night.

We do not have a systemic problem …

At the time, Twitter spun with a number of former players detailing various deals and how the tattoo parlor had always taken care of Buckeye football players. “Cats been getting hookups on tatts since back in 01,” ex-player Antonio Pittman tweeted.

This is isolated to these young men …

Stories emerged of the jerseys of current players hanging in car dealerships around town. These same lots that the Columbus Dispatch would later report had sold around 50 cars to Buckeye players or family members. One of the lead salesmen had previously received free tickets and guest passes from players. The school has since said it’d look into it.

…isolated to this particular incident.

Smith’s 11-day investigation apparently didn’t go as deep as one run by The Lantern, the school’s student newspaper. Thursday it quoted former wide receiver Ray Small (2006-2010) who declared, “I had sold my things” and “it was definitely the deals on the cars” and “they have a lot [of dirt] on everybody cause everybody was doing it.”

While other Ohio State players have come out to challenge Smalls declaration of “everybody” the fact remains this was one more bit of proof that Gene Smith didn’t have any idea what he was throwing out there in December.

Wait, nobody talked to Small? Even though his name was in original email sent to Tressel over a year ago?

There are no other violations that exist …

Earlier this week, former Buckeye basketball player Mark Titus wrote on his blog that he’d long been curious of how football players kept driving cars beyond the means of most students, let alone scholarship athletes. “I’ll be shocked if the NCAA doesn’t find anything when they look into this car scandal,” he wrote.

Titus implied anyone paying attention would feel the same way.

“Anyone who spent any time on Ohio State’s campus while I was there (2006-2010) could tell you that there were an unusually high volume of brand new Dodge Chargers driving around on campus, and just about all of them had tinted windows and rims on the outside with Ohio State football players behind the wheel on the inside,” Titus wrote.

Andrew Longman
05-27-11, 12:51 AM
Yeah well Rutger slipped to #2 this year. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/05/rutgers_football_excels_again.html

Rutgers football finished No. 2 nationally in the latest Academic Progress Report (APR) rankings released today by the NCAA, a year after finishing No. 1. It marks the fourth straight year the football team has been ranked in the top three, making Rutgers the only Football Bowl Subdivision program to accomplish that.

:D

The program and school has some deep flaws, typical of just about anything associated with NJ state government, but Schiano seems to be the real deal and while less likely than Tressler to win a BCS bowl game, also less likely to do something so completely stupid and unethical.

WickerBill
05-30-11, 09:03 AM
Tressel resigns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999

dando
05-30-11, 09:38 AM
Tressel resigns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999

Not surprised. SI article coming out that apparently has some other issues detailed. :shakehead :o :saywhat:

BTW, Urban Meyer has also been reported locally to have purchased a house in Cbus. Fickell coaches for this season...new coach after 2011 season...

-Kevin

dando
05-30-11, 09:46 AM
My Twitter is melting down:

georgedohrmann George Dohrmann
by rollerCD
I'm told it is likely my SI mag story will be posted at SI.com later today/tonight. Timing of Tress dec. will make sense after you read it

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-30-11, 12:00 PM
even if there was no impending sanction for tOSU, highly doubt Urban would get back into coaching, he supposedly coached his final year w/ regular chest pains, his family revolted to have him quit for real the 2nd time around. multi-millionaire, has a cushy ESPN job that lets him stay involved while his family stays happy

dando
05-30-11, 12:14 PM
even if there was no impending sanction for tOSU, highly doubt Urban would get back into coaching, he supposedly coached his final year w/ regular chest pains, his family revolted to have him quit for real the 2nd time around. multi-millionaire, has a cushy ESPN job that lets him stay involved while his family stays happy

Well, according to Herbie, etc. his dream job is head coach @ tOSU and he did purchase a house in Upper Arlington (a high end Cbus 'burb near tOSU). His medical issue was revealed to be esophageal spams, which I can empathize with...it's not fun. :( We'll see...he's been rumored, Chuckie (Youngstown roots), and the TCU head coach.

-Kevin

WickerBill
05-30-11, 12:21 PM
SportsCenter reported on the supposed house buy and said it's false... (?)

SurfaceUnits
05-30-11, 12:37 PM
The BullCShit and the NCAA made sure they made their money before they did anything

dando
05-30-11, 12:45 PM
SportsCenter reported on the supposed house buy and said it's false... (?)

Local reporters confirmed it a few weeks ago, and Herbie mentioned it on The Turd this AM. Dunno. :confused:

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-30-11, 12:56 PM
when he was at Utah, ND was his dream job, and now it's tOSU?

dando
05-30-11, 12:59 PM
The BullCShit and the NCAA made sure they made their money before they did anything

The BC$ has nothing to do with penalties. Also, the NC2A does not profit from the BC$. OSU, the Big Ten+1 and Sugar Bowl lobbied the NC2A to allow them to play in the Sugar Bowl and OSU levied their own penalties on the players and Tress, pending the investigation and hearing on 12-August. More details were discovered in January and then came out in March that made it clear that further sanctions would follow (and I called for Tress to go back then...see first post on this thread). Compare this to the Reggie Bush/U$C 'investigation' and it is night and day on how quickly this is being resolved.

-Kevin

dando
05-30-11, 01:01 PM
when he was at Utah, ND was his dream job, and now it's tOSU?

Well, he turned down the ND job, yo. Who knows....I'm just going by the talking heads. Herbie has been pretty firm on this. :confused: Time will tell. I'm not wishing for this either way.

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
05-30-11, 01:04 PM
The BC$ has nothing to do with penalties. Also, the NC2A does not profit from the BC$. OSU, the Big Ten+1 and Sugar Bowl lobbied the NC2A to allow them to play in the Sugar Bowl and OSU levied their own penalties on the players and Tress, pending the investigation and hearing on 12-August. More details were discovered in January and then came out in March that made it clear that further sanctions would follow (and I called for Tress to go back then...see first post on this thread). Compare this to the Reggie Bush/U$C 'investigation' and it is night and day on how quickly this is being resolved.

-KevinThe BC$ has nothing to do with penalties - but stands to profit when there are no penalties or penalties are delayed a year so the BCS game goes on without one team's top players absent. Also, the NC2A profits from all bowl games - it's called a wink and a nod or collusion/one hand greasing another

Racing Truth
05-30-11, 02:20 PM
Well, according to Herbie, etc. his dream job is head coach @ tOSU and he did purchase a house in Upper Arlington (a high end Cbus 'burb near tOSU). His medical issue was revealed to be esophageal spams, which I can empathize with...it's not fun. :( We'll see...he's been rumored, Chuckie (Youngstown roots), and the TCU head coach.

-Kevin

I can confirm that the Meyer thing has been bandied about here on the Cleveland ESPN & OSU affiliate for weeks now.

nrc
05-30-11, 04:33 PM
Sad day in Buckeye land. I'd have rather he punched a player. Heck, it seems like some of them could have used it.

I hope that the folks in Central Ohio will remember the role of "Jack Max" and Auto Direct in this when they're shopping for a car.

I'm wondering if the next round of revelations will relate to Kniffin, the salesman at the center of the car scandal, and the fact that he's hugely in debt and has a half million dollar home in foreclosure. If your typical used car salesman can qualify fore a half million dollar home then I'm in the wrong business.

dando
05-30-11, 05:46 PM
Sad day in Buckeye land. I'd have rather he punched a player. Heck, it seems like some of them could have used it.

I hope that the folks in Central Ohio will remember the role of "Jack Max" and Auto Direct in this when they're shopping for a car.

I'm wondering if the next round of revelations will relate to Kniffin, the salesman at the center of the car scandal, and the fact that he's hugely in debt and has a half million dollar home in foreclosure. If your typical used car salesman can qualify fore a half million dollar home then I'm in the wrong business.

Indeed. SI article is supposed to be live ~9. Somewhere out there Mark May is dancing a jig. :saywhat:

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
05-30-11, 08:05 PM
maybe the team will forfeit its bowl win by the crooks

Ankf00
05-30-11, 09:56 PM

the car dealers weren't doing anything tOSU didn't approve of and help facilitate by ignoring it for a decade.

Now NCAA investigators and Ohio State are both looking into the use of cars by several current Buckeyes, including Pryor, who, a source close to one of the investigations told SI, might have driven as many as eight cars in his three years in Columbus. (Ohio State declined to make Pryor available for comment.) Former Buckeyes basketball player Mark Titus posted on his blog on May 24 that it was common knowledge among students that football players were driving cars too pricey for their means. "You'd have to be blind to not notice it," he wrote. Former wide receiver Ray Small confirmed last week to The Lantern, the Ohio State student newspaper, that he got a "deal" on a car from a Columbus dealer, but he did not provide the terms.

and one of my housemates in Boulder was a doctoral candidate, living off fellowship, and had a 400K house that he rented out in Broomfield. mortgage brokers don't gaf, they just want to offload the note to the investing bank

devilmaster
05-30-11, 11:15 PM
SI article out...

Wetz says its more damning to Gee and Smith....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

A failure to disclose potential violations is considered one of the NCAA's cardinal sins and almost always leads to a coach's dismissal or resignation. Yet Ohio State supported Tressel and continued backing him despite weeks of negative press and calls by prominent alumni for him to be replaced.

That support crumbled suddenly over Memorial Day weekend. Tressel was forced out three days after Sports Illustrated alerted Ohio State officials that the wrongdoing by Tressel's players was far more widespread than had been reported. SI learned that the memorabilia-for-tattoos violations actually stretched back to 2002, Tressel's second season at Ohio State, and involved at least 28 players -- 22 more than the university has acknowledged. Those numbers include, beyond the six suspended players, an additional nine current players as well as nine former players whose alleged wrongdoing might fall within the NCAA's four-year statute of limitations on violations.

One former Buckeye, defensive end Robert Rose, whose career ended in 2009, told SI that he had swapped memorabilia for tattoos and that "at least 20 others" on the team had done so as well. SI's investigation also uncovered allegations that Ohio State players had traded memorabilia for marijuana and that Tressel had potentially broken NCAA rules when he was a Buckeyes assistant coach in the mid-1980s.

Last Friday, SI informed Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch of the new allegations and asked that Tressel be made aware of them. Lynch said the school would have some comment by the end of the day. No comment came, and on Saturday, Lynch told SI to contact Tressel's lawyer, Gene Marsh, for any response from the coach; Lynch also said he could not confirm that Tressel had been apprised of the new allegations. The implication was clear: Ohio State was distancing itself from Tressel. (E-mails from SI to Tressel and to Marsh and multiple phone messages for Marsh went unanswered.)

chop456
05-31-11, 01:24 AM
Great to see SI doing the NCAA's job for them. :tony:

nrc
05-31-11, 01:29 AM
the car dealers weren't doing anything tOSU didn't approve of and help facilitate by ignoring it for a decade.

That doesn't excuse the dealer of their role. If they gave special deals they were wrong and they know it. They denied the deals were special at the time, they deny it today. Not excusing anything from Ohio State, just saying that the community should keep it in mind.

SurfaceUnits
05-31-11, 01:37 AM
THE Ohio State university - where student athletes become professional criminals

Wonder what UM, PS, and IU fan boards are talking about

nrc
05-31-11, 03:04 AM
THE Ohio State university - where student athletes become professional criminals

Wonder what UM, PS, and IU fan boards are talking about

All I've seen are NCAA violation allegations. Who is alleging anything criminal?

Napoleon
05-31-11, 08:19 AM
All I can say is wow. I admit I haven’t been following closely but it really didn’t seem to me that he had done something that he really should go for.

Well now maybe he will go back to coaching at my Alma Mater, Youngstown State.

dando
05-31-11, 08:36 AM
Well now maybe he will go back to coaching at my Alma Mater, Youngstown State.

I'm guessing the NC2A will throw a show cause sanction on him, which will require any college that wants to hire him to go before the NC2A and justify hiring him. They tagged former OSU hoops coach Jim O'Brien with that back in 2005, and he just now got a head coaching job in DIII.

-Kevin

Indy
05-31-11, 09:50 AM
If you guys weren't such a bunch of cheaters we would have kicked your butts. :gomer::gomer::gomer::gomer::gomer:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4178/capturewen.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/capturewen.jpg/)

Don Quixote
05-31-11, 09:53 AM
Rumor has it Pryor is going to be done. Something about cars. Lots of cars. :thumdown:

dando
05-31-11, 09:56 AM
Rumor has it Pryor is going to be done. Something about cars. Lots of cars. :thumdown:

Amen, brother. He's a cancer. I hope the Browns or Browncos draft him. :gomer: :D

BTW, here's a linky including a video of yer boy Mark May.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6608432

:p

EDIT: Oh, and it was reported (with video) that TPeezy left the meetings yesterday driving a Nissan 350Z. WTF?!? :saywhat:

-Kevin

devilmaster
05-31-11, 10:02 AM
The SI article, which SI is thumping their chest that they brought sweatervest down, really isn't that shocking unless they have follow up articles coming.

Wetz was right. This article is more damning on Gee and Smith.

Tressel, we can probably all agree on, went with the 3 monkeys line of defense. As long as he didn't officially know it, as far as he was concerned it didn't happen.

Its funny that a DOJ lawyer who used to play for OSU, thinking he was doing the right thing for the program, started a paper trail that brought Tressel down.

Why is this article so damaging to OSU? Because it exposes Gee and Smith for their incompetence and failure to properly investigate it when they had the chance. (and lets not forget, they are the highest paid Pres and AD, according to sources) Hell, their own student paper did a better job investigating than the school did. And when they came out and said stuff like "No other NCAA violations; We do not have a systemic problem; This is isolated to these [6] men; isolated to this particular incident" they shot themselves and their school in the foot.

Forcing Tressel to resign now smacks of desperation, because you know the NCAA investigators now have more to look at every time some writer finds something new, no matter how 'thin' the info may be. (and lets be honest here, the SI article does have a bit of hearsay and former disgruntled employee whistleblower to it.)

Rife was a drug dealing slimeball. He's pleaded to marijuana dealing and laundering and the DOJ is happy he's off the street. It sounds like (if SI has good info) he was a good friend of the players who profited from their friendship. The only players the NCAA can probably punish now are the ones still around.

And since the story broke of the resignation, the one guy being followed is Terrelle Pryor. And the student paper tweeted yesterday that he showed up to the athletic center driving a 350Z with temp tags. This is car 8, or 9? I've lost count.

Make no doubt about it, show me a clean program and i'll show you a program that doesn't compete for national championships. But this is all coming about because the leaders of OSU and its football program decided that not knowing was better than knowing and having to do something about it.

dando
05-31-11, 10:13 AM
Bitchen ride, dude.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/buckeyextra/index.html

http://www.dispatch.com/wwwexportcontent/sites/dispatch/buckeyextra/2011-photos/0531-pryor-car-290.jpg

:saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-31-11, 11:11 AM

he showed up to a team meeting yesterday in a 350Z w/ dealer temp tags according to local writers on twitter. the glaring omission is the adrian peterson style "2 week test drive," where TP supposedly has 3 tickets w/ 3 different vehicles

The SI article, which SI is thumping their chest that they brought sweatervest down, really isn't that shocking unless they have follow up articles coming.

and this, we already knew 95% of the info in that article, it just laid it all out in one piece

devilmaster
05-31-11, 11:31 AM
and this, we already knew 95% of the info in that article, it just laid it all out in one piece

The one thing that caught my eye, but they didn't seem to follow up on it, is that Rife signed over a Tahoe to the running back for bowl tix. Where was the follow up investigation on that? In ontario, a transfer of vehicle requires the ownership signed by both parties and usually for tax purposes, a price tag attached.

Couldn't a FOI request get that info? That could have had its own article. You're investigating and writing a piece all based on Rife. Why didn't you follow up on your leads? You have great starting info here. You should have naturally had more.

Thats the difference between the Yahoo reggie bush piece and this SI piece.

Ankf00
05-31-11, 12:00 PM
hell, yahoo tracked down private hotel, airfare, etc. receipts that coincided w/ USC games and other events w/ Michael Ornstein's CC and Reggie's name or that of his family members.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-bushprobe

SurfaceUnits
05-31-11, 01:06 PM
All I've seen are NCAA violation allegations. Who is alleging anything criminal?

well, there are certain tax issues. If someone gives you major bling or use of equipment, in this case cars and such

Maybe OSU should change to UNLV

Insomniac
05-31-11, 02:10 PM
Make no doubt about it, show me a clean program and i'll show you a program that doesn't compete for national championships. But this is all coming about because the leaders of OSU and its football program decided that not knowing was better than knowing and having to do something about it.

I hear this a lot and I don't doubt the truth of it. But I think if you're getting busted, you're doing it a lot worse than everyone else.

devilmaster
05-31-11, 03:16 PM
I hear this a lot and I don't doubt the truth of it. But I think if you're getting busted, you're doing it a lot worse than everyone else.

This all happened because the former OSU player lawyer decided to email his concerns to tressel - which when the paper trail is followed, caught tressel in a lie. If there wasn't a paper trail, we all still might not know anything about it.

They probably could have easily got away with a few games for players, self-reported and no one says boo to it.

But the paper trail proved he lied. And then every media outlet wanted to be yahoo/reggie bush...

The one thing I'm loving in all of this is the fact that the Lantern, OSU's own student newspaper, is one of the strongest in finding some of these damning facts.

devilmaster
05-31-11, 03:24 PM
and wetz's latest article confirms what you and I are commenting on, Inso...

It’s why the entire story was stunning.

It grew even more stunning, however, when Smith and Gee spent the March 8 press conference allowing Tressel to continue to lie, shutting down follow-up questions about the absurdity of his confidentiality excuse and praising the coach for all sorts of unrelated matters (no one was claiming he wasn’t a good man with a commitment to charity work).

The moment called for solemn acknowledgement of a mistake and the promise to the university that the truth would be gathered. Instead it was a pseudo pep rally. My phone was flooded with calls and texts from administrators at other schools and conferences who couldn’t believe what they’d just witnessed.

For Gee and Smith, the unforeseen consequence of their blase handling of the story was that they all but begged the media to conduct the investigation into the program they were unwilling or incapable of doing.

That day Smith ridiculously declared “this is isolated to these young men, isolated to this particular incident. There are no other violations that exist.”
Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith shares the blame with his blase handling of this story.

His proof was a comically brief 11-day investigation; a red flag warning that there had to be more to the story.

It was that day that Yahoo! Sports started to look at Ohio State. It was the March 8 press conference that brought in the Columbus Dispatch, an army of bloggers, the school’s student newspaper (when was the last time a program got dinged by the student newspaper?), a host of Ohio media and Sports Illustrated, which was set to publish a major, and presumably damning, story this week that may have been the tipping point.

dando
05-31-11, 05:29 PM
The irony in all of this is that Gee was anti-athletics @ Vandy, and made some bold statements as well as restructuring the AD into the education side of the school. And now this. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
05-31-11, 05:33 PM
And to add insult to injury, as local news station just reported that TPeezy is driving with a suspended license. You just can't make this stiff up. :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-31-11, 05:37 PM
some good farks out the past couple of days

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/SarjJmHTSJI/AAAAAAAABVs/H-YGShJd_Ek/s400/CouchBurning.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/624650/TresselSuicide.gif

TKGAngel
05-31-11, 06:56 PM
I know every fanbase has their own particular brand of crackpots, but surely we all can agree that threatening a 21-year-old student journalist (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/110531&sportCat=ncf) is a little much?

Ankf00
05-31-11, 07:56 PM
sounds about right for c-bus :gomer:

nrc
05-31-11, 09:23 PM
sounds about right for c-bus :gomer:

As opposed to Austin where they skip the threats and get straight to the shooting? :gomer:

Don Quixote
06-01-11, 11:17 AM
So now I am hearing that not only did Pryor drive up to the team meeting in a 350 Z with dealer tags, but he did so on a suspended license. Without insurance. If he enters the supplemental draft this summer we will never know his wonderlic score.