PDA

View Full Version : race scanner frustrations

rosawendel
03-05-11, 02:00 PM
Once a year or so, I update the frequencies on my Uniden SC230 in preparation for a race (this time for Sebring), and I am reminded of what a pain it is to do. It's just not intuitive. I easly lose an hour every time I have to re-learn how it works, and I only get the frequencies I can scrounge around online for (I'm a cheap bastard, and can't bring myself to buying a subscription - maybe that's my problem).

Anyone else suffer like this? I'd consider jumping to another system like RACEceiver if I knew it was intuitive and easy to use.

devilmaster
03-05-11, 02:29 PM
Once a year or so, I update the frequencies on my Uniden SC230 in preparation for a race (this time for Sebring), and I am reminded of what a pain it is to do. It's just not intuitive. I easly lose an hour every time I have to re-learn how it works, and I only get the frequencies I can scrounge around online for (I'm a cheap bastard, and can't bring myself to buying a subscription - maybe that's my problem).

Anyone else suffer like this? I'd consider jumping to another system like RACEceiver if I knew it was intuitive and easy to use.

It was always a pain whenever I went to a track... I guess I always just accepted the fact that i'd pay 5 bucks for a piece of paper from the racing radios trailer (or go halves on it with whomever I knew who also had it) for the freak list.

The thing for me was, I usually just stuck to TV broadcast for the race, but would check out teams during practice and quals...

SteveH
03-05-11, 02:54 PM
Same here. Have a Radio Shack unit. Almost not worth the bother to program it. And usually I end up listening to the TV broadcast anyway. Can still recall Memo Gidley's crash at RA and hearing the Speed announcers while at commercial. I was ready to leave at that point.