PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pump Question

racer2c
03-04-11, 02:25 PM
Any insight/opinions on a two stage compressor vs single stage? How about reciprocating vs scroll compressors? Local HVAC company has a good deal on a 19 SEER (up to) Carrier Infinity System and a 16 SEER (up to) Carrier Infinity system both with their humidity/temperature control interface (what I use to call a thermostat!). The 19 SEER has a scrolling compressor that doesn't require it to stop/start to go to the second stage like the 16 SEER needs to do. The 16 is also a reciprocating compressor if that matters.

For $2700 less they will sell me a single stage 'base' Carrier 14 SEER without the humidity control. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Don Quixote
03-04-11, 02:46 PM
These things are very site specific. You need to find out what you neighbors have and find out what works and doesn't work in your specific climate.

Ankf00
03-04-11, 03:58 PM
psychrometrics, how does it work?

Don Quixote
03-04-11, 04:02 PM
Its just like a dadburned frigerator.

G.
03-04-11, 04:19 PM

Uses magnets.

racer2c
03-04-11, 04:33 PM

Wikipedia explains that (now I know more about psychrometrics than I ever wanted :irked:) but it wont tell me what AC to buy. :)

I should have asked what heat pump is best to convert into a smoker. :D

Ankf00
03-04-11, 04:34 PM
now we're talking.

Ankf00
03-04-11, 08:56 PM
on a srs note, not well informed on the dehumidifier equipped hvac units, as the old man from Golden, CO says, dehumidification is very location dependent, and his advice of finding out what kinda systems are commonly going into new construction homes in your area of Broward/Dade/PalmBeach/OldRetiredNewYorkJewishPerson County would be a good start.

also w/ SEER efficiency and different units and costs, your home's construction, insulation,etc. is as big a difference maker as the unit itself in your power bill, if you're in a 50 yo place w/ mediocre insulation and sealing, no point in taking on the capital outlay of a top efficiency unit since everything you gain on the HVAC end is immediately lost, at that point an avg 14 seer unit would be perfectly serviceable in the long run, similarly w/ a new place w/ great insulation, construction, sealing, windows, etc. a nicer unit would go further for you w/ ROI

I'm now going to drink 2 mickeys in celebration of moving back to tejas. good night.