PDA

View Full Version : Quake video. *Graphic*

Kiwifan
02-26-11, 04:06 PM
Hi Team, I don't want to go on and on but this particular video really hit me.

The video has been approved by nrc but does play automatically so please be warned.

The young lass being carried away with blood on her face was thrown to the ground, her brother dived on top of her but was killed by falling rocks trying to protect her. What amazed me was the Samoan Kiwi pulling out huge blocks like they were made of paper. Even though there were aftershocks he went back trying to save Jamie.

When I heard the whole story last night it really hit home and it made we think we don't tell our loved ones how special they are.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/videos/4699283

More clips here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/videos/

Take care everyone and go and give someone a hug, you never know what is around the corner.

Thanks Richard.

TravelGal
02-26-11, 05:51 PM
This is so true Rusty. One minute you're talking with someone and the next minute.....you're not.

About halfway through there is a glance of a dark haired woman looking back, dazed, in shock. That's the face of things like this. The action is the way everyone is rushing to help. If anything, disasters restore your faith in humanity.

There was one headline here in the US about a couple in Christchurch. She had been trapped for six hours and they got her out. Her friends encouraged them to continue with the wedding plans so they were married on time, two days later. She had her dress but the groomsmen had lost their suits so were in shirtsleeves.

Kiwifan
02-26-11, 06:24 PM
If that's the wee lass with blood on her face she was the one who lost her brother. They interviewed their parents and they said they were the lucky ones as at least they had a body, many families didn't and their thoughts were with those folk.

Live each moment like it's your last eh?

Take care TG.

TravelGal
02-26-11, 08:28 PM
That's rough. Really. It's hard to imagine the anguish.

The woman I meant is at 1.24. Three seconds, literally. Her face haunts me. I can almost hear her gasp.

Big article in today's LA Times about how we must continue retrofitting buildings or we will be in the same situation Christchurch found itself in. In CHC they didn't have time between the quakes. Here we've had 17 years so far. It should be finished but "budget crisis" etc. etc. blather blather blather.

Elmo T
02-28-11, 10:34 AM
I want to watch, but I won't. Based on your descriptions, I know what I am going to see. Life is fleeting and death is random, cold, and indiscriminate.

My heart aches - and it is especially hard when you are used to being able to do something when bad stuff happens. Every time I see a tragedy like this I want to jump into the TV to help.

My thoughts are with everyone there.

Kiwifan
02-28-11, 01:25 PM
Thanks Elmo, it's not 'too' bad, more showing the horror on peoples faces as well as buildings falling down.

A week later and we have 151 confirmed dead, 50 still missing, 20% of the entire city without either power/water/sewage, a third of the CBD will have to be leveled, 42,000 people who cannot get back into the CBD for work or to their businesses.

The cost to rebuild and repay is estimated to be between 15 to 20 Billion $NZ. That's divided by a population of just 4 million.

I would like to thank the International Community for stepping up to help esp the Aussies, US and Japanese rescue teams.

Cheers................

Elmo T
02-28-11, 01:32 PM
it's not 'too' bad, more showing the horror on peoples faces

And therein is the hard part :( - graphic images aren't really this issue.

dando
02-28-11, 02:39 PM
The cost to rebuild and repay is estimated to be between 15 to 20 Billion $NZ. That's divided by a population of just 4 million.

:eek:

Any easy fix: build a track for F1 or IRL. ;) (a bit of levity for a srsly sad thread)

Local anchor guy this weekend was talking about friends of his that were due to deliver their first not long after the quake hit. :eek: They were fortunate and got out in time. :thumbup:

-Kevin