PDA

View Full Version : So the HSP is back on....

dando
02-23-11, 02:45 PM
:tony:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/news/story?id=6147966

LAS VEGAS -- The IndyCar Series is putting up $5 million for any driver who thinks he or she can beat the open-wheel professionals at their own game in their championship race in Las Vegas.

IndyCar Series CEO Randy Bernard issued the invitation Tuesday as the series announced its season-ending world championship would be held at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Oct. 16.

-Kevin

devilmaster
02-23-11, 03:45 PM
So if they didn't get Vegas to be the finale, then the season ender was at Fontucky? Where was the banquet to be held, the waffle house?

dando
02-23-11, 04:34 PM
So if they didn't get Vegas to be the finale, then the season ender was at Fontucky? Where was the banquet to be held, the waffle house?

Hofbrauhaus, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin <=== craves some now :(

devilmaster
02-23-11, 04:58 PM
Hofbrauhaus, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin <=== craves some now :(

L to R Peter (pchall), my buddy mike, me and my buddy rick. :)

But that aside, do you really think the IRL and its leaders even know what HB is about?

racer2c
02-23-11, 05:01 PM
What a joke. Ropin Randy would get more press buzz if he saved the Sisters $5 mill and paid some rodeo clowns $1000 each to dodge the cars coming in pit lane. The winner gets a big belt buckle.

TKGAngel
02-23-11, 05:41 PM
How would you feel as an IndyCar driver/owner knowing that if you won the race you would only wink the usual $35k, but some Joe Schmoe off the street would win $5 mil? I know they're trying to get Stewart, Gordon, Gordon, Montoya, etc to come back, but how many would in the middle of the NASCAR chase?

Gnam
02-23-11, 06:02 PM
What a joke. Ropin Randy would get more press buzz if he saved the Sisters $5 mill and paid some rodeo clowns $1000 each to dodge the cars coming in pit lane. The winner gets a big belt buckle.

:laugh:

I see an image of a clown saving Danica's pit crew by jumping in front of her car and leading her away from the pit box.

racer2c
02-23-11, 06:05 PM
How would you feel as an IndyCar driver/owner knowing that if you won the race you would only wink the usual $35k, but some Joe Schmoe off the street would win $5 mil? I know they're trying to get Stewart, Gordon, Gordon, Montoya, etc to come back, but how many would in the middle of the NASCAR chase?

and how will the regular season drivers feel when the press gives the one off all the attention...or if the championship battle comes down to the last race and the media, (which is who...Curt cavin and Robin Miller?) focus on the one off?

it's all just a stunt though. If they are able to lure anyone it will be so underwhelming *cough*Scott Speed*cough* that no one will care.

They should invest the 5mill into something worthwhile. This also reeks of desperation.

racer2c
02-23-11, 06:05 PM
:laugh:

I see an image of a clown saving Danica's pit crew by jumping in front of her car and leading her away from the pit box.

LOL!!!!!!!:rofl:

Andrew Longman
02-23-11, 07:04 PM
OK, its a stunt. Some will call that promotion. I'll give them credit for trying.

What they are hoping for is a few NASCAR drivers will give it a go. That will only happen if it makes business sense without winning the $5M. Got to be able to sell sponsorship to the tune of $250-500K I figure to cover the cost of renting equipment and crew and make a reasonable profit.

That might happen if 3-4 Cup drivers can collectively sell themselves to their sponsors as a "happening". Not likely though.

A Grandam, Nationwide, Aussie V8, ALMS, anybody else won't be able to pull off the sponsorship.

What's really likely to happen? Chip will pull out a bunch of extra chassis he has laying around for JPM, Pruett and anyone else he can think of, sell Target some sponsorship and go out and take the money.

Or Penske could do the same thing with Hornish or who knows who.

And if that happens, the wouldn't the winner get more than if he won the I500? THAT would be a problem.

What he should do is what TG should have done in 1995 and that open up the purse for the 500 to such a level that NO ONE could resist. Or at least make it a hell of a lot more compelling for manufacturers, teams and drivers to be there. That raises the profile and value for everybody and supports the greatest strength they have (still).

patski
02-23-11, 10:14 PM
OK, its a stunt. Some will call that promotion. I'll give them credit for trying.

What they are hoping for is a few NASCAR drivers will give it a go. That will only happen if it makes business sense without winning the $5M. Got to be able to sell sponsorship to the tune of $250-500K I figure to cover the cost of renting equipment and crew and make a reasonable profit.

That might happen if 3-4 Cup drivers can collectively sell themselves to their sponsors as a "happening". Not likely though.

A Grandam, Nationwide, Aussie V8, ALMS, anybody else won't be able to pull off the sponsorship.

What's really likely to happen? Chip will pull out a bunch of extra chassis he has laying around for JPM, Pruett and anyone else he can think of, sell Target some sponsorship and go out and take the money.

Or Penske could do the same thing with Hornish or who knows who.

And if that happens, the wouldn't the winner get more than if he won the I500? THAT would be a problem.

What he should do is what TG should have done in 1995 and that open up the purse for the 500 to such a level that NO ONE could resist. Or at least make it a hell of a lot more compelling for manufacturers, teams and drivers to be there. That raises the profile and value for everybody and supports the greatest strength they have (still).

Yea right, that's going to happen!

Chief
02-24-11, 01:07 AM

But that aside, do you really think the IRL and its leaders even know what HB is about?
Ahhhh, the good old daze! :thumbup::p:D

cameraman
02-24-11, 02:48 AM
Explain something to me. October 16 is a Sunday. On Saturday there is a Nascar race at Charlotte, no cab driver is going to miss one of their races so when is qualifying for this IRL race? It isn't like a flight from Vegas to Charlotte is quick. Grand Am & ALMS will be done for the year but given how much those guys love highbank oval racing:saywhat: I don't see them lining up for the opportunity. And the F1 circus in in Korea that weekend so we won't be seeing Schumi either:rolleyes:

So what are they going to do, have qualifying and the race on Sunday or were they just too stupid to look at a calendar when they came up with this brilliant idea?:shakehead

devilmaster
02-24-11, 03:02 AM
and you're using logic against the IRL why???

;)

Andrew Longman
02-24-11, 08:06 AM
Yea right, that's going to happen!You don't see Montoya flying in, red eyed, fresh from a top 30 finish at Charlotte, getting in a spare TCGR car that was qualified by Scott Pruett, and winning more money than the I500 winner or season's champion (who will also hopefully be crowned that day)? Proving once and for all to NASCAR fans and the general public that Indy car racing is stupid. :gomer::gomer:

stroker
02-24-11, 10:28 AM
What about Kanose? If he is in the truck series, can HE make it?

TKGAngel
02-24-11, 10:40 AM
And what if Vasser decides to try the off the couch tour again? Is he eliminated from consideration because he's an owner? Would be PT be eliminated from potential consideration if he drove earlier races in the series?

Why am I thinking about this idea when it has more holes than a block of good Swiss cheese?

extramundane
02-24-11, 10:56 AM
From the linked article:

Up to five outside drivers can compete in the race if they're picked by a selection committee and qualify on the track the weekend of the race,

Somehow I doubt Montoya or anyone else with a reasonable chance of winning would pass the committee's muster. But Trevor Bayne, Mikey Waltrip or whatever distant relative of Dale Earnhardt they can scrounge up? GOLDEN.

Andrew Longman
02-25-11, 07:52 AM
Upon some more thought, I'm saying the most likely way for this to work is to have no one show interest and the ICS community can then beat their chest and say. "See, they're all too chickenshat to even try it". Mission accomplished and it didn't cost anything.

Elmo T
02-25-11, 08:50 AM
..."See, they're all too chickenshat to even try it"....

Well, who would want to show up only to get their doors blown off? :gomer: :rolleyes:

Fio1
02-28-11, 04:33 PM
Arturo Merzario is in for sure; so now there are 4 entries left. :thumbup:

DagoFast
02-28-11, 05:44 PM
as the series announced its season-ending world championship

:cough :cough A "world" championship? For the great 'merican all oval series? Well, hellsbelles, no wonder toeknee is staging a comeback! :tony:

Chief
02-28-11, 05:47 PM
OUCH....Tony Kanose (and all other IRL legends) just took one in the cannolis!

Randy Bernard said Friday that it will take being a legend for a former IndyCar driver to be eligible for the $5 million challenge in October at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

In other words, Michael Andretti or Al Unser Jr. would be approved by the selection committee were they to pursue a ride.

"(They) would sell tickets . . . create viewership," Bernard said. "I don't want anybody holding out (on the season) just to do this. Like Tony Kanaan. He wouldn't be eligible. I've had several calls from guys like that. There's no chance of that (happening).

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110226/SPORTS0107/102260315/Andretti-Unser-could-compete-5M-challenge?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Fever|p

devilmaster
02-28-11, 06:20 PM
OUCH....Tony Kanose (and all other IRL legends) just took one in the cannolis!

Damn. how dumb can you be? I mean this idea was silly to begin with....

But why on earth, this early on, announce a cutoff example for who qualifies?!?!?

Holy cow! Say anything but that... "will someone like Kanaan qualify? That will be up to the selection committee, but our goal is simple. Attract the top drivers in the world to strap into our world class cars and race our series finale in the entertainment capitol of the world, Las Vegas. It harkens back to the good old days where drivers came, helmet in hand, and strapped in to race any car they could."

You don't answer the question they ask, you give them the answer you want to give. Classic PR. And in the meantime and through August, work with teams to offer rides so that you maybe have more than 5 guys to choose from. Then you can pick and choose and someone like Kanaan can be pushed out.

Andrew Longman
02-28-11, 06:38 PM
Um. How many IRL championships did Jr or Mickey have?

Oh, IRL championships don't make you a legend? Only CART championships.

How many I500s did Mickey win?

That's not the criteria?

The entrant has to be approved by our star studded all star American Legend sparkley judging panel. I hear Steve Tyler is going to me on it.

:rolleyes:

I'm no lawyer, but isn't there a need to have some pretty clear criteria for eligibility or you risk a lawsuit?

And yes, they just took out the small gasp of fresh air that was in this idea in the first place.

pchall
02-28-11, 06:51 PM
That was a fun day. :)

Gnam
02-28-11, 07:24 PM
But why on earth, this early on, announce a cutoff example for who qualifies?!?!?

Lockout! :D

manic mechanic
03-01-11, 02:51 AM
The last line in the article says it all:

"The last thing I want to do is give away the integrity of the race or the integrity of the drivers we have," Bernard said.

Hard to give up what was already surrendered, isn't it? :laugh:

manic

Chief
03-01-11, 11:04 AM
The Speedway continues to be the prime example of life stranger than fiction. :rofl:

Winston Wolfe
03-01-11, 11:46 PM
What a great place this is ! :thumbup:
Here, the genius brain trust running the leege and responsible for the future of major league open wheel racing in America comes up with a $5million idea, and a bunch of innernet jockey fans like us poke all kinds of holes in it in just a few days....
Clearly, the collective brains controlling the next 100 years of Indy history are in serious need of a brain transplant. This is as weak as some very bad circus lemonade.
But I know when I need a good chuckle, I just spend a few minutes searching various leege "ideas" and its clear they are without a clue !

TedN
03-02-11, 07:37 AM
Racing legend Mario Andretti told Motorsport.com reporter in a recent exclusive interview that he is tempted to make a sensational comeback and compete in the 2011 IndyCar Series season finale at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in October for a chance of winning the $5 million purse that is on the table.

Source (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=401655)

Ted

:eek:

extramundane
03-02-11, 08:41 AM
^^^ Someone needs to put this on infinite loop in Mario's house.

kMeE9NAh60I

Chief
03-02-11, 10:59 AM
http://www.loiterink.com/photos/products/129_795_500x500.jpg

chop456
03-02-11, 01:09 PM
Mario was the Orville Wright of crapwagons. :gomer:

NismoZ
03-12-11, 08:37 PM
Can you believe JV...or Peter Solberg? Peter says, "I've tested an F-1 car so I don't think an IndyCar would be too much of a driving challenge for me." Autosport. Indy, pretty similar to World Rallye. Who's next, Jeremy McGrath?

opinionated ow
03-19-11, 05:07 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110319/SPORTS0107/103190345/1052/SPORTS01

Zanardi gets a phone call apparently.