PDA

View Full Version : Two-Car "Packs" Too Small?

NismoZ
02-15-11, 11:27 PM
Daytona. Not good for the "show" so NASCAB mandates less air through the grill, maybe a smaller restrictor AND a lower temp "popoff" for the radiator?? The incredible technical innovations just keep on coming! Go for clean air, boys...or blow up! And they thought the new pavement was a GOOD thing?:laugh:

racer2c
02-15-11, 11:57 PM
Sad. They're grasping at straws. I'm surprised they don't mandate chitwood style 2 wheel ramps and rings of fire.

dando
02-16-11, 01:22 PM
Plates restricted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=6127656

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-16-11, 02:15 PM
Well, I did watch the Bud Shootout... when I wasn't dozing off, and it pretty much sucked. No amount of cheerleading by Larry Mac, Darryl and Mike Joy was going to make it eggziting. The two car packs were just weird.

Now that they slowed them down more, what will they say to pump us up?

If they can't run packs without overheating will it simply be a matter of which driver can actually run fast laps over and over?

Or will this become about as eggziting as watching traffic on the interstate?

dando
02-16-11, 02:42 PM
what will they say to pump us up?

Stay tuned for the Big One..... :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-16-11, 03:08 PM
Very simply - during the shootout my wife asked "How is this better?" :gomer:

Steve99
02-16-11, 03:08 PM
a lower temp "popoff" for the radiator
Hmmm, I wonder who will get the "special" popoff valve for this race.

dando
02-16-11, 03:27 PM
Hmmm, I wonder who will get the "special" popoff valve for this race.

Jr. Just like the Pepsi whatever in July after Big E died. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-16-11, 04:22 PM
Jr. Just like the Pepsi whatever in July after Big E died. :saywhat:

-Kevin

No doubt. When are we getting the "face palm" smilie?

Andrew Longman
02-16-11, 05:37 PM
Jr. Beat me to it. He and Jeff are already on the front row. Their careers needed a little revitalization. Great way to kick off the new season.

How many times during the shootout and qualifying did we hear that E was NASCAR's most popular driver? (OK I admit I had quals on while installing a counter top last weekend)

dando
02-16-11, 06:13 PM
Jr. will need it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=6128841

:rofl:

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-16-11, 06:26 PM
All part of the script - come from behind win > from the pole. :rolleyes:;)

BarillaGirl
02-16-11, 07:20 PM
Scripts, questionable inspections, "special" rules, goodguy/badguy storylines, short straws.....

Wait, it's "reality" television! :laugh:

NismoZ
02-16-11, 07:23 PM
Yes, but I think sad, not funny. I have absolutely nothing against Jr. I don't think he is among the very best in 'CABS but he sure is on the right team, then. When he got pole first thing that came to mind was, 10th anniversary, longshot to win, ratings, the "fans",...The SHOW! Think about it...100% more coverage than Sebring.

High Sided
02-16-11, 08:00 PM
didn't want to practice dale got caught up in a little robby gordon blunder so he'll be starting in the rear with backup car. with juniors lack of desire i think it'll be hard for nascar to get him this win.

wcImVm2Tgj4

NismoZ
02-16-11, 11:07 PM
Trying to get up to speed....in the middle of the track? Great move, guys. Certainly not Jr's. fault. Fine those guys! Who's the visiting retired old guy ex-'CAB steward for this event!?:gomer:

devilmaster
02-17-11, 09:28 PM
So i'm out for a late lunch during pizzeria shopping today.

Caught the first 30 laps or so of the first race....

My god, this was embarassing.

Forgive the analogy, but this was like gay ballroom dancing. You found a partner, who you pretty much stuck with the entire time, and you went on your merry way. Sometimes one would lead, then because of the new rules where the 2nd car starts to overheat after a few laps of running behind another, they would switch and the other would lead for a few laps.

If your 'team' of two cars were hooked up well, you were near the front. If you weren't, you were at least a third of a lap back. This tandem crap meant that cars were literally together. There was no space between the two cars in a pairing.

As much as I hate pack racing, I'd rather have that then what i saw today. This is shockingly bad. Nascar continues to screw the pooch on how to make it good. this wasn't racing of course, but it wasn't even good entertainment. This so called race was literally groups of two all over the place.

I hadn't followed anything of speedweeks until I happened to be at a restaurant with tv's. I didn't know how bad bad was until i saw it today.

racermike
02-18-11, 04:16 AM

Forgive the analogy, but this was like gay ballroom dancing. You found a partner, who you pretty much stuck with the entire time, and you went on your merry way. Sometimes one would lead, then because of the new rules where the 2nd car starts to overheat after a few laps of running behind another, they would switch and the other would lead for a few laps.

If your 'team' of two cars were hooked up well, you were near the front. If you weren't, you were at least a third of a lap back. This tandem crap meant that cars were literally together. There was no space between the two cars in a pairing.

As much as I hate pack racing, I'd rather have that then what i saw today. This is shockingly bad. Nascar continues to screw the pooch on how to make it good. this wasn't racing of course, but it wasn't even good entertainment. This so called race was literally groups of two all over the place.

I hadn't followed anything of speedweeks until I happened to be at a restaurant with tv's. I didn't know how bad bad was until i saw it today.

Nascar just gave me my first good mid-day nap of the year.

dando
02-18-11, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I caught the first race...just so sad. Big E is rolling in his grave. :shakehead :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

dando
02-18-11, 01:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=6134932

Pop-off gate redux. :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
02-18-11, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I caught the first race...just so sad. Big E is rolling in his grave. :shakehead :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

Big E's going to be spinning all weekend, it's only going to get worse from here. I have a feeling the pre-race show is going to be all Big E, all the time. Mikey W's been pimping out his new book about what happened 10 years ago. (And said book is on the NY Times Bestseller List, too.)

Driving back from lunch, our local country station was even playing a version of the Diamond Rio song "One More Day" interspersed with audio from fans and NASCAR drivers saying how sad they were. I was :yuck: most of the ride back at what they did to such a beautiful song.

racer2c
02-18-11, 02:15 PM
Darby said the average speed Thursday was between 191 mph and 195 mph, with speeds nudging just past 200 in crunch time.

200 degrees doesn't sound like an overheating engine to me. Modern production GM engines run that hot on purpose. :confused:

cameraman
02-18-11, 02:37 PM
200 degrees doesn't sound like an overheating engine to me. Modern production GM engines run that hot on purpose. :confused:

How do you convert 200 mph to 200 degrees? All the values in that quote were MPH.:saywhat:

High Sided
02-18-11, 02:47 PM
200 degrees, now that's fast :gomer:

racer2c
02-18-11, 03:00 PM
How do you convert 200 mph to 200 degrees? All the values in that quote were MPH.:saywhat:

Its easy...simply glance at an article you didn't want to click on in the first place, insert yourself into a thread you care nothing about......click 'submit reply'. Done. :gomer:

Gnam
02-18-11, 03:17 PM
No more Shake and Bake?

Gnam
02-18-11, 03:18 PM
200 degrees, now that's fast. :gomer:
:D

Don Quixote
02-18-11, 05:19 PM
Mikey W's been pimping out his new book about what happened 10 years ago. (And said book is on the NY Times Bestseller List, too.)

Must be a picture book. :rimshot:

Andrew Longman
02-19-11, 09:31 AM
Well the truck race looked more interesting (I checked out the last 13 laps). No twin pack racing.

Better that is until all but four cars wrecked in a big one and Mikey W won "ten years to the day he won the 500 and Big E died" DW couldn't believe it.

Can you believe it? :p

High Sided
02-19-11, 12:38 PM
i can't believe they let this win stand considering 50% of the rear wing was laying flat???
http://twitpic.com/419vpy

RusH
02-19-11, 06:59 PM
Do the NeCKs even know what a Tango is?.

Might as well take down some grandstands right now. :shakehead

Michaelhatesfans
02-19-11, 07:50 PM
i can't believe they let this win stand considering 50% of the rear wing was laying flat???

Wow, some of those comments are like reading something of Bif's, but without sarcasm. Those people can vote and breed. Just think about that.

Andrew Longman
02-20-11, 01:07 PM

Can't believe? DW said in the moment that "he guarenteeeed the win would stand, Maybe a fine but the win will stand"

See top comment in you link to understand :
So whata the spoiler broke somewhere in 3 racing laps. Let it go this sport has gotten so screwed up with so many rules. I dont guess youve ever anybody has ever seen a car finish a race all beat up with srtuff missing.

The France's rule #1 is they don't want the fans confused one bit about who won once they leave the track.

The PT Barnum in me gets that, and I get it is hard to sell 250,000 tickets to people who actually know and care about rules -- and the technology of something as complex as a spoiler, but you and I agree it is just BS.

That means that this race fan will never become very invested in NASCAR or really care one way or the other who wins and why.

In an hour I'm going to eat some kick ass Gumbo, home made bread and key lime pie with a few friends and family. We join every Feb for the 500 because it is Feb and we are sick of winter and a lack of racing. This is an excuse to eat well, enjoy company, and think about how much we enjoy real racing (or what it used to be). :D:thumbup:

dando
02-20-11, 04:11 PM
Dancing with the cars. Pathetic. :saywhat: :shakehead $10 Jr. gets the call with 2 to go. :irked:

-Kevin

Winston Wolfe
02-20-11, 06:14 PM
Remember folks, these are "some of the best drivers in the world".... :shakehead

Does DW really believe anything that he says ?:D

cameraman
02-20-11, 06:20 PM
Overtime:saywhat:? Your kidding me they have overtime?

This is just plain stupid.

trish
02-20-11, 06:30 PM
Was it good for you?

dando
02-20-11, 06:34 PM
Congrats to the Wood Bros., but that was one ****ed up race (from the bits and pieces I saw). :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
02-20-11, 06:39 PM
First time I've watched a cab race in about 10 years. It was pretty much boring as hell. Their foot to the floor for the whole lap. Yellows every few laps, just I don't know, it isn't something I'm like to do again for another ten years.

TKGAngel
02-20-11, 06:48 PM
Good on the kid and the Wood Brothers for winning.

Bad on NASCAR for creating the packs and wrecks and two car tango. Wreck, dance, wreck, dance, lather, rinse, repeat makes for a very boring race. I can't wait to see how the ratings shake out for this one.

dando
02-20-11, 06:51 PM
43 of the best drivers in the world.

:rofl: :saywhat: :shakehead :irked: :yuck: :thumdown:

-Kevin

racer2c
02-20-11, 08:38 PM
A NASCAR fan friend of mine posted this on facebook a few minutes ago; "what a fantastic race!!"
:gomer:

cameraman
02-20-11, 09:53 PM
Lord I hope that was sarcasm.

opinionated ow
02-20-11, 10:03 PM
I was going to get up at 4:30 this morning to give it a shot, but I couldn't be bothered. The showcase race they had the other week was interesting for about the first 10 laps with the two cars pushing thing but then it got very boring very quickly and I was waiting for the big one that never came :gomer:

racer2c
02-20-11, 10:04 PM
Lord I hope that was sarcasm.

Nope. :shakehead

BarillaGirl
02-20-11, 10:24 PM
Lord. My husband turned on Daytona almost by accident, waited eight seconds, and announced, "This is boring" before moving on to something else.

I taught him to like F1 and WRC, so he sometimes recognizes good when he sees it. Daytona was a race you could smell. :yuck:

G.
02-20-11, 11:30 PM
Two comments:

1). I watched a few minutes at the beginning, and I caught the last 19. They should just pair up 2 cars and chain dem sumnabitches together. That was really stupid.

2). BarillaGirl is probably a damn fine wife. Kudos to BarillaGuy.

Andrew Longman
02-21-11, 10:07 AM
Carl Edwards said at the first caution he looked at the scoring pylon and thought it had to be wrong. It said 22 laps complete. He thought they had to have run 300 miles already. His arms and hands were aching, his heart racing, soaked in sweat. Totally spent because it was so stressful. Far worse than the old pack racing he said because there was so much more to deal with.

OK, I guess I appreciate that. Still is that much better if better than all than the old pack stuff -- which sucked.

J Johnson said it best that this is what it is so long as they use the plates.

JohnHKart
02-21-11, 03:07 PM
First time I've watched a cab race in about 10 years. It was pretty much boring as hell. Their foot to the floor for the whole lap. Yellows every few laps, just I don't know, it isn't something I'm like to do again for another ten years.

I slept through most of it, so yeah it was boring. At least I woke up a few laps before the end. I hate it when I sleep, then wake up in Victory Lane.

TravelGal
02-21-11, 03:10 PM
Very simply - during the shootout my wife asked "How is this better?" :gomer:

An exact quote of what TravelGuy said.

I hadn't followed anything of speedweeks .... I didn't know how bad bad was until i saw it today.

That'd be me too.

I'm home sick, so tired I can't do much so I flop in front of the TV and turn on the race with 72 laps to go. Twenty minutes and 3 yellows later, I turn it off. Only thing of interest I saw was Montoya ruining the lawn paintings by pit road.

trish
02-21-11, 03:51 PM
The announcers sure did talk about Trevor Bayne a lot during the race broadcast. I'm watching the race now and it seems ok.

High Sided
02-21-11, 05:10 PM
Nascar is a true tivo/dvr sport. add an hour to the time, wait at least an hr to start viewing. watch it untill you get caught up to real time then turn it off and take a nap, 45minutes should do. turn it back on and watch the rest. have a supercross race or something else on backup for when your not nappy. :gomer: