PDA

View Full Version : SuperBowl Ads....

devilmaster
02-07-11, 12:55 AM
Couple thoughts....

Favorite comedy one for me was the doritos ad with grandpa
VW Darth Vader was a nice cute one
Chrysler Imported ad was amazing... but i might be a bit biased. ;)
You guys need a constitutional amendment banning godaddy ads from now on.
Groupon was a the biggest bomb.

Thoughts?

nrc
02-07-11, 01:54 AM
Overall a pretty thin crop this year.

Darth Vader kid was probably best.

Dorito Grandpa ad was pretty good.

Teleflora w/ Faith Hill - chuckle

Career Builder parking lot - entertaining.

Bridgestone reply all - entertaining

Audi Ad got my attention but I actually had to jump back to catch the punch line.

Mercedes ads - whiff

Groupon - grimaced at the Tibet ad and must have fast forwarded past the rest.

Oh, and I could take Chrysler's 'U.S.A.' themes more seriously if they weren't controlled by Fiat. I did like the ad but I was hoping for a stronger ending.

I also thought the 2012 Focus looked much better in the pre-game commercials than the photos. Bring on the Mondeo!

WickerBill
02-07-11, 07:14 AM
I enjoyed the Kenny G Audi spot. Also, watching Roseanne get flattened was pretty fun. I yelled "FINISH HER!" all Mortal Kombat-ish.

extramundane
02-07-11, 08:51 AM
Oh, and I could take Chrysler's 'U.S.A.' themes more seriously if they weren't controlled by Fiat. I did like the ad but I was hoping for a stronger ending.

While I agree, I think it was a VAST improvement over the "USA got cars & freedom right" ad featuring "George Washington" driving a car built in Canada.

Also: Richard Lewis is still alive? Who knew?

Andrew Longman
02-07-11, 09:00 AM
Oh, and I could take Chrysler's 'U.S.A.' themes more seriously if they weren't controlled by Fiat.I have a similar reaction to the Chrysler ad with Washington chasing the Red Coats in a Challenger (not a SB ad)... forgetting that the engine for that car in made in Mexico and the car is assembled in Canada (in Tory Ontario no less).

Trevor pointed out that the cost for the Audi as ran more than their entire year's spend on ALMS. And he spotted the Sauber LeMans car in the Mercedes commercial. That's wall that really matters. :gomer:

I liked the Beetle ad.

Mostly by brain goes bionic TiVo during commercials. I don't really remember many. I think I remember something about Joan Rivers in a Go Daddy commercial but based on that I don't want to risk injury by remembering anything else.

KLang
02-07-11, 09:26 AM
Darth Vader and Beetle were OK.

Overall, mostly forgettable.

TKGAngel
02-07-11, 09:34 AM
The VW Darth Vader kid ad already had 13 million YouTube views before the game. Ad folks are predicting it as the biggest success of the game.

I liked the Detroit Chrysler ad, and also enjoyed the Glee kids Chevy ad (http://www.youtube.com/chevrolet?x=us_showcase_409) that aired during the postgame Glee episode. Lea Michele really nailed "See the USA in your Chevrolet," but I have to question airing an ad like that during Glee. How many kids are aware of that old jingle?

racer2c
02-07-11, 10:02 AM
The VW Darth Vader kid ad already had 13 million YouTube views before the game. Ad folks are predicting it as the biggest success of the game.

I liked the Detroit Chrysler ad, and also enjoyed the Glee kids Chevy ad (http://www.youtube.com/chevrolet?x=us_showcase_409) that aired during the postgame Glee episode. Lea Michele really nailed "See the USA in your Chevrolet," but I have to question airing an ad like that during Glee. How many kids are aware of that old jingle?

The youtube version of the Darth Vader kid is the long version which is much more effective IMO, for those who haven't seen it.

Don Quixote
02-07-11, 10:10 AM
Overall, mostly forgettable. This sums it up best. Disappointing that imagination and new ideas seem to be things of the past.

Indy
02-07-11, 10:16 AM
This sums it up best. Disappointing that imagination and new ideas seem to be things of the past.

What is the cause of that? It is not just ads on the Superbowl, it seems to be something that exists throughout our society. It is like our creativity as a people has ground to a halt.

Don Quixote
02-07-11, 10:18 AM
What is the cause of that? It is not just ads on the Superbowl, it seems to be something that exists throughout our society. It is like our creativity as a people has ground to a halt. Agreed, hence all the sequels and remakes of movies. Did they really need to remake True Grit???

racer2c
02-07-11, 10:42 AM
What is the cause of that? It is not just ads on the Superbowl, it seems to be something that exists throughout our society. It is like our creativity as a people has ground to a halt.

Because the younger generations are too busy texting their friends (hey...I'm txting you, txt me back...K?) and playing Angry Birds. :D

Wait a sec...I just described myself. Never mind (nm). :)

Indy
02-07-11, 10:59 AM
Yes, r2c, I am guilty of that as well. I mean, I remember when I used to read books.

I think that partly this is all a result of a market driven society chasing an increasingly dull witted customer. The Superbowl was essentially a five hour presentation targeted to a third grade mentality. If you watch, not caring about the game itself, the whole thing is truly insulting to anyone of intelligence and taste.

But I am not convinced that is all that is going on. Somehow we have lost some magic.

Andrew Longman
02-07-11, 11:05 AM
The Superbowl was essentially a five hour presentation targeted to a third grade mentality.Third graders are getting smarter I guess. I understand there was only one ad featuring a shot to the groin. The year of the wardrobe malfunction I think there were three and four ads with fart references. That was pretty funny stuff when I was in third grade.

nrc
02-07-11, 11:05 AM
And oh, by the way, the national anthem performance sucked as did the half time show.

racer2c
02-07-11, 11:13 AM
And oh, by the way, the national anthem performance sucked as did the half time show.

Yep. The worst I can recall.

Indy
02-07-11, 11:16 AM
I think that screeching sound at halftime was actually was the death rattle of the recording industry.

TKGAngel
02-07-11, 11:19 AM

So much so. I can understand a little kid screwing up the national anthem, but a trained professional should have no excuse.

Andrew Longman
02-07-11, 11:41 AM
So much so. I can understand a little kid screwing up the national anthem, but a trained professional should have no excuse.Probably make them go back to lip synching it.

Halftime show too. The mic levels kept shifting. I think they were turning up and down the levels as the lead switched singers but were several seconds behind again and again.

I thought the NFL learned their lesson about these "ensemble" performances. They always suck. They had a run of a few good years (forced by the Janet Jackson/Timberlake thingy), but they fell back to their old ways.

Springsteen was still best all time IMO. No need for Rhinestone Cowboy outfits or cameos or dancers :D

IYWcwsczcm8

indyfan31
02-07-11, 11:46 AM
So much so. I can understand a little kid screwing up the national anthem, but a trained professional should have no excuse.

My thought on this has always been that these "singers" are so concerned about showing off what they can do, that they forget what they're doing.
It's the national anthem, not an audition.
Just because you can hit a high C, doesn't mean you have to. :thumdown:

TKGAngel
02-07-11, 11:50 AM
Probably make them go back to lip synching it.

Halftime show too. The mic levels kept shifting. I think they were turning up and down the levels as the lead switched singers but were several seconds behind again and again.

I thought the NFL learned their lesson about these "ensemble" performances. They always suck. They had a run of a few good years (forced by the Janet Jackson/Timberlake thingy), but they fell back to their old ways.

Springsteen was still best all time IMO. No need for Rhinestone Cowboy outfits or cameos or dancers

If they have to lip sync the anthem to get a great, no-run, beautiful performance, then have at it. Whitney Houston's outstanding performance at SB XXV was lip-synced, but she did it so well that no one knew until well afterwards. Or, better yet, break it up and let the crowd sing along. If Canadians can pull it off at sporting events, why can't Americans?

Regarding halftime, the problem wasn't that it was an ensemble, it was that it was an ensemble that relies heavily on AutoTune, and without it, they start shrieking in order to compensate.

And it was pre-Nipplegate, but U2 at the 2002 Super Bowl was one of the best.

dando
02-07-11, 12:06 PM
Also: Richard Lewis is still alive? Who knew?

You said the same thing last year about Abe Vigoda. :gomer: Rosanne getting hammered. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

extramundane
02-07-11, 12:10 PM
You said the same thing last year about Abe Vigoda. :gomer:

See Indy's post above re: creativity grinding to a halt. It's True!

dando
02-07-11, 12:17 PM
See Indy's post above re: creativity grinding to a halt. It's True!

No doubt. You see it in Hollywood, TV and business strategies. Wash, rinse, repeat. We've become a nation of followers. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-07-11, 12:19 PM
And it was pre-Nipplegate, but U2 at the 2002 Super Bowl was one of the best.Absolutely!

And no faux dancers, trapeze, or LED pantsuits, or flaming hair.

Just great performers performing great.

It's one game a year. Shouldn't be hard to pull this off.

G.
02-07-11, 01:42 PM
Lea Michele really nailed "See the USA in your Chevrolet," but I have to question airing an ad like that during Glee. How many kids are aware of that old jingle?

But the kids will search out that jingle with gleeful fervor. Kinda brilliant, IYAM.

WickerBill
02-07-11, 01:53 PM
Pearl Jam next year, please.

racer2c
02-07-11, 02:10 PM
I'll place my bet on Ms Swift for 2012.

nrc
02-07-11, 02:12 PM
ELO with full orchestra - segway to Metallica with full orchestra - close with Roll Over Beethoven.

Epic.

nrc
02-07-11, 02:16 PM
Springsteen was still best all time IMO. No need for Rhinestone Cowboy outfits or cameos or dancers :D

Still disagree.

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/music/files/2009/01/prince.jpg

Insomniac
02-07-11, 02:19 PM
I agree that the full VW Dart ad is infinitely better:

R55e-uHQna0

I thought the halftime production was horrible, not sure if it was another Jerry World fail or FOX. It was nice to finally skew younger (IMO, Paul McCartney through The Who all stunk) but The Black Eyed Peas don't have enough of a catalog. Two minute ADD songs are a bad idea.

Christina Aguilera should be embarrassed. Supposed to be a professional. How does that affect the prop bets? :)

racer2c
02-07-11, 02:27 PM
Still disagree.

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/music/files/2009/01/prince.jpg

Yeah...I've never purchased a Prince album in my life but his halftime show was awesome!

WickerBill
02-07-11, 03:31 PM
nrc, how you gonna set up an entire orchestra, and mic them up, in that short of a window? Otherwise, it sounds awesome. I would love to see them skew to some harder stuff.

nrc
02-07-11, 05:14 PM
nrc, how you gonna set up an entire orchestra, and mic them up, in that short of a window? Otherwise, it sounds awesome. I would love to see them skew to some harder stuff.

Good question. I'm envisioning something with gimbals and pulleys. :D

Seriously, I'm thinking that if they're already doing these enormous sets for the show they could do some sort of sectional stand for the orchestra that would have the mics and sound in already in place.

You're right though, the difference between awesome and disaster would be sound production which has been very hit and miss.

indyfan31
02-07-11, 05:26 PM

Wireless. :)

stroker
02-07-11, 05:38 PM
I think that screeching sound at halftime was actually was the death rattle of the recording industry.

It could be worse. They could move the Superbowl back to the Metrodome in Minneapolis and bring back the break-dancing elves...

TrueBrit
02-07-11, 05:43 PM
ELO with full orchestra - segway to Metallica with full orchestra - close with Roll Over Beethoven.

Epic.

:D:thumbup::rofl:

Andrew Longman
02-07-11, 09:50 PM
Still disagree.Same back at ya, but I have never gotten the Prince thing. Must be a genetic defect I have. But IIRC his act also seemed prerecorded and dubbed.

But it was far better than that mess yesterday. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
02-07-11, 10:15 PM
Just scrap the halftime show. Halftime is for taking a piss and getting some more beer and snacks.

stroker
02-08-11, 12:41 AM
Did Dave Matthews Band ever do the SB Halftime show?

Insomniac
02-08-11, 01:17 AM
MTV and Mike Judge need to bring back Beavis and Butthead for alternate half times again.

Whatever happened to alternate halftime shows?

Gnam
02-08-11, 03:00 AM
Did no one else see the ad for 5 Fast 5 Furious?

Just when you think the movie industry can't sink any lower, they pull something like this...
...and TOTALLY redeem themselves. :gomer::thumbup:

chop456
02-08-11, 03:38 AM
Just scrap the halftime show. Halftime is for taking a piss and getting some more beer and snacks.

No lie. You guys watch the halftime show? SRSLY? :D

dando
02-08-11, 09:23 AM
Did Dave Matthews Band ever do the SB Halftime show?

Nope. Matthews is kind of odd in that most folks I know either love them or hate them. I like them, but I couldn't drag my wife to a show.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-08-11, 09:34 AM
...either love them or hate them...Kinda like Prince.

Speaking of like. I've been in a Black Keys mood lately.

dKXlgISd3iA

TIn1NECpV10

They'd be cheap. Only two members :gomer:

WickerBill
02-08-11, 12:06 PM
If it's John Mellencamp next year, I'm watching the Puppy Bowl.

I've changed my mind -- I now agree with nrc, I want Metallica. Except let's make it a spectacle... Ulrich Hetfield Newsted and Mustaine.

Don Quixote
02-08-11, 01:07 PM
I would only watch Mathews if they reinacted their "dumping of the tour bus sewage holding tanks on tourists heads" episode.

Corner5
02-08-11, 03:43 PM
Agree, half time show was awful. I'd rather watch a marching band!

How about some love for the Eminem/Chrysler ad...

a5xPOr0R4hg

cameraman
02-08-11, 04:13 PM
Ya know, I'd rather they had a best of the collegiate bands than any of this other crap.

racer2c
02-08-11, 04:25 PM
Ya know, I'd rather they had a best of the collegiate bands than any of this other crap.

Yeah...I'd vote for that too. Marching bands and football just go hand in hand to me. throw in some fireworks and BAM! its a show!

Don Quixote
02-08-11, 05:20 PM
Yeah...I'd vote for that too. Marching bands and football just go hand in hand to me. throw in some fireworks and BAM! its a show! A battle of the drum lines! Now we are talking!

Gnam
02-08-11, 05:26 PM
I'm surprised they didn't shoe horn an American Idol episode in there.

Andrew Longman
02-08-11, 06:03 PM
How about some love for the Eminem/Chrysler ad...Ad yeah. I have a certain love for Detroit City, even if almost everyone I've ever known there moved away.

Interesting take on Chrysler today. And what took a guy from an Italian car company to accomplish. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_earns_chrysler
Engineers were encouraged to make a case for new technology or designs, something that didn't happen under Chrysler's previous owners. As a result, the 200 has new features such as LED headlights and a quieter engine mounting system, a big improvement in quality that its predecessor, the Chrysler Sebring, didn't have.

"The answer used to be no," Verley said.

Along with quality, Marchionne pushed the 200 to come out faster. He personally approved the car's interior in three days, far faster than the two weeks it took under previous CEOs.I read somewhere else last week that he held up release of the new Durango until a leak in the door handle design was fixed. He was getting hourly updates from engineers for several days until the cause was proven fixed. From my experience, that NEVER would have happened five plus years ago.

I wish Detroit well. They have a hard time over coming an image if they want people to buy their cars... even if many, many are now made in Mexico, Canada and elsewhere.

racer2c
02-08-11, 06:28 PM
Ad yeah. I have a certain love for Detroit City, even if almost everyone I've ever known there moved away.

Interesting take on Chrysler today. And what took a guy from an Italian car company to accomplish. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_earns_chryslerI read somewhere else last week that he held up release of the new Durango until a leak in the door handle design was fixed. He was getting hourly updates from engineers for several days until the cause was proven fixed. From my experience, that NEVER would have happened five plus years ago.

I wish Detroit well. They have a hard time over coming an image if they want people to buy their cars... even if many, many are now made in Mexico, Canada and elsewhere.

As the resident life long Mopar nut, I really like what I'm seeing from Sergio Marrichone (sp) (and Francios Castiang (sp) also). They have brought a personal approach to managing the business with emphasis on focusing on what they are doing...manufacturing automobiles.
Mark Phelan, auto columnist at the Detroit Free Press, recently called the 2011 300 the “best car in Chrysler’s history” and wrote that it’s equipped to “compete with more expensive luxury models like the Acura RL, BMW 550i, Cadillac STS and Mercedes E550.”.

I shocked my cousin recently who stopped for a visit to FL in his new 2011 VW Routan when I broke the news to him that it was a re-badged Town and Country built by Chrysler. He honestly did not know...they never mentioned it at the VW dealer. Classic scene.

I hope Chrysler continues to keep to a small product line, continue quality improvements and get to a point where people are actually proud of their products, not defending them because "they got a good deal" etc.

The initial plan from Sergio was simply to rebadge a bunch of Lancia's and sell them in the US as Mopars. He was so impressed with what he saw that they are actually reversing that mission in some cases.