PDA

View Full Version : GPS Nav

Elmo T
02-04-11, 09:28 AM
In-dash GPS in our 2007 Subaru Tribeca. The nav data is getting dated and it is really time for an update.

The Kenwood Subie disc (http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?id=186) is $238 :saywhat:. The built-in system has its pluses, but the biggest drawback is that you can't enter or change on the move. Yea, I know, safety blah blah blah. ;)

Is it time to buy a portable GPS for the Subie rather than shell out the money for the disc? The portability would be an advantage - a 2 for 1 as we have no GPS for the minivan. I really like having the GPS in the dash - no wires or suction cups.

dando
02-04-11, 09:53 AM
We have a Tom Tom, which I believe uses Navteq for maps. It's a couple of years old, and we've had mixed results with it. For example, if we drive down 33 to 77 when we head to Hilton Head and/or WDW, it gets lost along the way despite the fact that the road hasn't changed in ~10 years. :saywhat: It also doesn't have a clue where Saratoga Springs is in The World. We've also had some issues going to other destinations where it had us turn the wrong way, etc. :irked: I used the GPS on my Android during our last trip down in December, and it knew where the resort was located.

-Kevin

KLang
02-04-11, 10:09 AM
We use a Garmin for travel and like it a lot. They sell a bean-bag like mount that sits on the dash which is a little easier to set up. Still plugs in though. Latest model is about the size and weight of an iPhone. If you have an iPhone there are apps to make it a decent nav.

Our vehicles all have built in hard disk systems. We lease so updating hasn't been an issue for them.

Andrew Longman
02-04-11, 10:37 AM
I have a free app that came with my Verizon Droid. Works just fine as far as I can tell. Needs no updates either.

Elmo T
02-04-11, 10:52 AM
I am Nextel-bound for both of my mobile phones. Just like the commercials, we do love our push-to-talk :gomer:. Problem is Nextel data is not 4G, it is 0.00001G. :saywhat:

AAA keeps sending me literature on their version of the Magellan. It includes all of the AAA information.