PDA

View Full Version : How Does the Comcast-NBC Merger Affect the Future of the irl?

racer2c
01-21-11, 11:17 PM
With Comcast and NBC merging, INDYCAR is in a position of power to gain new fans and new revenue opportunities.

Bill Potter
Writer
Born and raised in Indianapolis, Bill Potter grew up believing that the racing world centered around 16th and Georgetown. He attended his first Indianapolis 500 in 1993, promptly booed Emerson Fittipaldi for drinking orange juice in Victory Lane and was hooked. In the last 17 years, Potter has missed the Greatest Spectacle in Racing one time (1997 - don't get him started), and doesn't plan on missing another any time soon.

:gomer::gomer::gomer:
http://http://indiana.sbnation.com/racing/2011/1/19/1943806/indycar-how-does-the-comcast-nbc-merger-affect-the-future-of-the (indiana.sbnation.com/racing/2011/1/19/1943806/indycar-how-does-the-comcast-nbc-merger-affect-the-future-of-the)

cameraman
01-21-11, 11:50 PM
Ummm no. More like
:gomer::gomer::gomer::gomer: to infinity & beyond

Methanolandbrats
01-21-11, 11:55 PM
More coiled snake.

Don Quixote
01-22-11, 11:44 AM
With Comcast and NBC merging, INDYCAR is in a position of power to gain new fans and new revenue opportunities.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :gomer:

TKGAngel
01-22-11, 12:07 PM
There is so much wrong with that blog entry that it makes the baby indycar jesus cry.

1. The NBC Olympics contract only runs through 2012. There's rumors that the peacock might not want to pony up the large amount of cash that is going to be needed in order to secure the rights to the Games for infinity and beyond. The Games are a ratings behemoth, I won't argue that, but are such a cost sucking vacuum that I believe NBC loses money on the deal.

2. If there's going to be a sport promoted by the almighty Comcast/NBC behemoth, it's going to be the NHL. The league is already televised on both Versus and NBC, and Comcast owns the Philadelphia Flyers. The NHL does decent in ratings on both networks, the new Comcast/NBC should not be dumb enough to squander this opportunity. What loyalty does the network have to the folks at 16th & Georgetown?

3. Versus is not true "network" television. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox: those are networks. Versus is cable. There's a big difference in ad pricing for events that appear on the former as opposed to the latter, both on a local & national level.

4. If Indycar representatives have so far sat on their hands with the butchering of drivers names during broadcasts, why would they step up to the plate and insist now that names be pronounced correctly and broadcasts be done with a quality standard?

Andrew Longman
01-22-11, 12:23 PM
Bill Potter grew up believing that the racing world centered around 16th and Georgetown. Admitting your life has become unmanageable is the first step. ;)

eiregosod
01-22-11, 01:56 PM
oh man, we have a bidding war for the Indy 500!

gentlemen start your checkbooks!

If NBC retain the olympics and acquire Indy 500, the gomers will be pissed because NBC will use the 497.5 as a marketing tool for the Olympics. :laugh:

cant wait when the gomers get pizzled over NBC's coverage of the US olympic qualifiers in Indianapolis compared with an outdated and insignificant motor race.

Elmo T
01-22-11, 02:30 PM
I've read it twice - I think he was using the same logic as applied by the Chewbacca defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense). :gomer:

For those unfamiliar, allow me:

Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

G.
01-22-11, 02:41 PM
If NBC retain the olympics and acquire Indy 500, the gomers will be pissed because NBC will use the 497.5 as a marketing tool for the Olympics. :laugh:

Wrong demo.

I'm sure NBC would want to market the Oly's to sports fans.

Insomniac
01-22-11, 03:11 PM
Aren't NASCAR ratings down? Who's going to get into a bidding war (unless it's a dutch auction)?

SurfaceUnits
01-23-11, 03:27 AM

what event is Danica in?:gomer: if a beefarts in the wind....

eiregosod
01-23-11, 09:06 AM
what event is Danica in?:gomer: if a beefarts in the wind....

danica runs in the hotair event with extra tinpot medal for '4th'

NismoZ
01-23-11, 10:33 AM
Wow, an Indycar fan since '93!? That dude goes waaaay back! Gives him a real clear picture of what's been goin' on. We need more like him to lead us into the future.:shakehead

Ziggy
01-23-11, 11:30 AM
The dumb get dumber

by the day I tell ya'. :tony:

gjc2
01-23-11, 06:12 PM
Wow, an Indycar fan since '93!? That dude goes waaaay back! Gives him a real clear picture of what's been goin' on. We need more like him to lead us into the future.:shakehead

He got the see a couple seasons of American open wheel racing at its best. He then got to live through its downward spiral. He saw what it could be; he sees what it is now (I hope).

Chief
01-24-11, 12:24 PM
Word out of Indy is NBC dumped Keith Olbermann to make a primetime slot for Randy Bernard's new talk show "Primetime for Indy: The Most Important Race in History".

This Comcast merger is paying dividends already... :p

SurfaceUnits
01-24-11, 02:48 PM
What??? NBC doesnt have enough .2 shows already

pchall
01-24-11, 08:42 PM
3. Versus is not true "network" television. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox: those are networks. Versus is cable. There's a big difference in ad pricing for events that appear on the former as opposed to the latter, both on a local & national level.

NBC has an HD over the air side channel that puts on about 18-20 of canned sports a day. Right now their main programing is Winter sports. FIS World Cup dominate (on a 4-5-6 hour tape delay from Europe), there is also ski jumping, figure skating, sledding, and some non PBR bull riding in the wee hours.

I wonder what NBC's Universal Sorts has in market penetration and kind of ratings the IRL would get on that? The gomers would probably crowd that at least the IRL ia on an over the air network. ;)