PDA

View Full Version : 10 American Companies That Will Disappear in 2011

Pages : 1 [2]

gjc2
01-06-12, 02:13 PM
Saab and Borders are gone. I think the rest are still around in some form.

I think Saab USA is still around

TKGAngel
01-06-12, 02:24 PM
my sis & her lawyer bff tried to lecture me on "liquid cup" vs "solid cup" because in the world of private school lawyers a unit of volume is measured different within the liquid world, it's different you see, and that same unit of volume for a solid is something else entirely, even though it's a unit of volume...

Mind...blown.

KLang
01-06-12, 02:29 PM
I think Saab USA is still around

While that might be technically true what use is Saab USA if Saab is no more? :gomer:

cameraman
01-06-12, 02:42 PM
...tried to lecture me on "liquid cup" vs "solid cup" because in the world of private school lawyers a unit of volume is measured different within the liquid world, it's different you see, and that same unit of volume for a solid is something else entirely, even though it's a unit of volume...

You've damaged my brain with that sentence, now I need to get another cup of coffee to try and fix it:saywhat:

Andrew Longman
01-06-12, 03:04 PM
Mind...blown.Yes.

I know ounces aren't always the sames as ounces, but I thought a cup was always a cup.

But I seem to be able to cook quite well without knowing this.

Time to make cookies this afternoon anyway. :D

cameraman
01-06-12, 03:46 PM
The word ounce needs to be banned from the planet. The US bureaucrats who decided than an ounce on a food label should be different from the ounce on your measuring cup need to be lined up against a wall and shot.

Ankf00
01-06-12, 04:05 PM
The word ounce needs to be banned from the planet. The US bureaucrats who decided than an ounce on a food label should be different from the ounce on your measuring cup need to be lined up against a wall and shot.

true, but it's only 1/2 mil difference, ~29.6 vs 30. the bureaucrats could've ****ed it up much, much worse.

Methanolandbrats
01-06-12, 04:10 PM
true, but it's only 1/2 mil difference, ~29.6 vs 30. the bureaucrats could've ****ed it up much, much worse.

Ya, that's close enough unless youre running a meth lab or some other precise operation.

Kiwifan
01-06-12, 04:33 PM
Kodak? :(

cameraman
01-06-12, 04:40 PM
You're talking to someone who routinely measures things in attomoles/microliter, half a mil might as well be the Atlantic Ocean...

Ankf00
01-06-12, 05:17 PM
wait, you have to use usda labelled foodstuffs for your lab? wut?

cameraman
01-06-12, 05:25 PM
On occasion. The critters gotta eat too.

It is more the principle of the thing.

gjc2
01-06-12, 07:17 PM
While that might be technically true what use is Saab USA if Saab is no more? :gomer:

I work in the vehicle leasing business and I didn't know that Saab is all but gone. We haven’t had to quote one in years.

Napoleon
01-06-12, 07:57 PM
I work in the vehicle leasing business and I didn't know that Saab is all but gone. We haven’t had to quote one in years.

There are ads on TV for the local Saab dealership's going out of business sale.

gjc2
01-06-12, 08:20 PM
There are ads on TV for the local Saab dealership's going out of business sale.

I haven't seen any.

Gnam
01-06-12, 09:46 PM
Hey, WB should buy a Saab. ;)

Dvdb
01-07-12, 12:07 AM
This may explain why my amateur meth lab keeps exploding

Methanolandbrats
01-07-12, 12:16 AM
Once GM mated with Saab, it was all over becasue bits of Delco splooge invaded all aspects of the car rendering them little more than Nordic *****oxes.

Andrew Longman
01-07-12, 01:36 AM
Once GM mated with Saab, it was all over becasue bits of Delco splooge invaded all aspects of the car rendering them little more than Nordic *****oxes.It was worse than that. I think that it was an entire Cavalier that was re-chromed and rebadged as a SAAB. WTF is that?

SAd thing is SAAB had been hurting a few years prior to the GM takeover and they did research to discover that for many people their was a whole lifestyle component to owning a SAAB. They consciously built and advertized a brand around that and having a SAAB, more than ever. was a cool thing and they built a nice profitable niche around that. (I know this because I know the people well who did the branding work for them). Really could have gone places to continue to be the real smart car for smart people.

GM bought them and in that act all by itself the brand went poof and it was not cool to be a SAAB owner.

Rex Karz
01-07-12, 08:46 AM
Maybe the American LeMons series ought to have a special class for cars that are no longer being manufactured. Imagine a Saab having a door handle to door handle duel with an AMC Pacer.

extramundane
01-07-12, 10:30 AM
Maybe the American LeMons series ought to have a special class for cars that are no longer being manufactured. Imagine a Saab having a door handle to door handle duel with an AMC Pacer.

Such a ride would be welcomed with open arms. I understand it's a goal to one day stage The 12 Hours Of Sebrings.

MoCartt
01-07-12, 11:30 AM
Once GM mated with Saab, it was all over becasue bits of Delco splooge invaded all aspects of the car rendering them little more than Nordic *****oxes.

:laugh:

Ankf00
01-07-12, 04:39 PM

word

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Ankf00
01-07-12, 04:41 PM

word

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

gjc2
01-07-12, 05:39 PM

Delco provided alternators, batteries, starter motors, ignition modules, etc. I hardly think those items are what give a car its character.

Methanolandbrats
01-07-12, 06:21 PM
Delco provided alternators, batteries, starter motors, ignition modules, etc. I hardly think those items are what give a car its character.

When they fail they have lots of characther.

KLang
01-07-12, 06:26 PM
It must be tough to be a Saab fan these days.

gjc2
01-07-12, 07:40 PM
When they fail they have lots of characther.

Do you think Delco components fail more often than any others?

I used to be the sales manager of a Buick dealership. Back in, I think, 1984 or 85 we got the first generation of the front wheel drive Park Avenue. For the early production cars the fuel pump was sourced from Nippondenso, because the Delco unit wasn’t ready. We all thought that’s cool they make good stuff. Well, we had a huge amount of fuel pump failures; we had customer’s new cars coming in on the back of roll backs every day.

nrc
01-11-12, 11:53 AM
Now Hostess!? What is wrong with this country! :gomer:

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20120111/D9S6OPPO1.html

TravelGal
01-12-12, 02:10 AM
I just came to post that! ACK! Raid the stores! I'll have to find some room in my light bulb bunker for those sugar shockers. Although I realize Hostess is just trying to jettison some Texas retirees but, still, one can't be too careful.