PDA

View Full Version : Online Storage

TravelGal
01-21-11, 04:08 PM
I'm looking at Carbonite ($59.99 a year) and Dropbox ($9.99 a month). Not sure about Carbonite but Dropbox seems also to allow networking within the office, which would be a huge help in my situation.

My main question is about security. So far I have resisted putting any client data online anywhere. Very old school but a lot of my clients are old school folks. I realize that anything can be hacked but is either of these better than the other?

Does anyone have a different favorite online option for secure storage that is inexpensive? Are "secure" and "inexpensive" mutually exclusive terms?

Insomniac
01-21-11, 04:43 PM
I use Dropbox to sync some files between my Mac and PC more easily. I'm using the 2 GB free service and have no complaints with the service. The drawback in my opinion is that you can't combine that with something like TrueCrypt where you can encrypt the files and keep that synced easily.

I think you're accurate in your observation that anything can potentially be hacked, but I'd say that something on a local network vs the Internet is less likely to be hacked if you have a secure home network simply because of visibility.

I don't think cost and security are mutually exclusive. The unfortunate thing is you will not hear about how good the security is until someone breaks it.

As an example, I don't think anyone expected the Gawker Media people to store user passwords so weakly in their database. If they were more concerned about security, they could've protected those passwords better at any time without more cost. No one found out until after the fact though.

The biggest question you want to ask yourself is, what would happen if your files are stolen. Assume it's a real possibility.

Edit: After I wrote this, I did some checking about using TrueCrypt and file synchronization and I guess it is possible. I'll need to try it out to be sure.

Elmo T
01-21-11, 04:49 PM
I've been very happy with Dropbox.

It has made my life so much easier - transferring files from work to home, swapping files with co-workers, online storage of files for when I am on the road teaching classes.

Drop and drag - simple and fast.

That said, security isn't really an issue for me.

aportinga
01-21-11, 06:20 PM
I'm looking at Carbonite ($59.99 a year) and Dropbox ($9.99 a month). Not sure about Carbonite but Dropbox seems also to allow networking within the office, which would be a huge help in my situation.

My main question is about security. So far I have resisted putting any client data online anywhere. Very old school but a lot of my clients are old school folks. I realize that anything can be hacked but is either of these better than the other?

Does anyone have a different favorite online option for secure storage that is inexpensive? Are "secure" and "inexpensive" mutually exclusive terms?

Why not vault it to Iron Mountain?

FTG
01-21-11, 06:24 PM
Also consider the cost if your office catches fire, or water pipe bursts or.... and your physical storage is destroyed.

TravelGal
01-21-11, 09:33 PM
Hadn't really thought too much about it being stolen but it's a possibility if anyone breaks into the house. Another reason for an online backup.

Personally, I think they'd slip and break their neck somewhere between the office door and the desk (on the hundreds of travel brochures artfully scattered all over the floor) but that's another story. Of greater worry is fire, earthquake, etc. as FTG said.

I'm looking up Iron Mountain looks like a Jag when I need a Focus. Insomniac mentioned that Dropbox has 2 GB free and that may be all I need. Elmo's had good luck. That works for me.

I'm much more comfortable with whole idea after getting everyone's comments.