PDA

View Full Version : Old computer help

TravelGal
01-13-11, 02:50 AM
TravelGuy is helping an old relative with an old computer. He got the thing working again but wonders if you can tell us whether adding an additional 512 memory would appreciably speed this creature up.

Currently: Compaq Presario with Windows Vista, Intel Celeron D, CPU 3.46 gHz, 512 MB, with 106 GB hard drive (87.2 GB free), 32 bit operating system.

Basically she plays mahjong and looks up recipes but even that is slow on this baby.

Thanks.

chop456
01-13-11, 03:45 AM
No way should Vista be running on a machine with 512mb, even if MS tells you differently. Another 512 won't hurt, but it should really have at least 2GB. Hopefully the motherboard allows for enough.

I'm assuming this thing started life w/XP?

cameraman
01-13-11, 05:04 AM
As much ram as the machine can support would be a good idea. "Downgrading" to XP wouldn't hurt its performance either.

Methanolandbrats
01-13-11, 09:41 AM
Can you come up with an XP system disk? If so, format the machine and reinstall. Then install Microsoft Security Essentials AV (it's free, but will only work on a legal copy of OS). And as said, max out the RAM. Should be a screamer then :). If you can find a small computer shop, you might be able to buy XP cheap and even trade in your RAM if you only have two slots and need two bigger sticks.

WickerBill
01-13-11, 09:48 AM
What they said. As much memory as you can shove into it.

That being said, yes, 512 additional megabytes *will* make a difference. 1536 additional megabytes will allow it to function like a normal computer.

KLang
01-13-11, 12:20 PM
I just went through this last weekend with my father-in-law's PC.

Adding memory will help. Changing the virus scanner to Microsoft Security Essentials may help. Run the MSCONFIG command and see if there are any start-up items or services running that aren't needed anymore.

racer2c
01-13-11, 12:37 PM
Of course more RAM, but even then it sounds like it's past due for a reformat/fresh install. My mom's 2 year old Dell with 2GB RAM was a freekin dog until I wiped it...presto! New PC!

TravelGal
01-13-11, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys. A huge help.

This is probably the only extant computer that began life with Vista. I think she got it for her 87th birthday (she's now 91). Knowing who gave it to her, I'm pretty sure it was a closeout at the time.

We're gonna take it into Office Depot where it began life and see how much RAM can be packed into it.

Edit: Just saw racer2c's comment. Agreed about the fresh install. The only thing that got it going was choosing door number 4, which was "return computer to its original configuration." Once that was done and all the updates since then installed, it is functioning okay. Just sloooooooooowly.

Indy
01-13-11, 01:18 PM
My Netbook has 1 gig of Ram, and it runs Office 7 Starter plus various software including Office with no problem. It only bogs down when I forget and leave too many programs open simultaneously.

TravelGal
01-13-11, 01:48 PM
My Netbook has 1 gig of Ram, and it runs Office 7 Starter plus various software including Office with no problem. It only bogs down when I forget and leave too many programs open simultaneously.

Very impressive! I'm also glad to read it because TravelGuy concluded that 1 gig would be enough for mahjong and recipe hunting. He's off getting it installed now. I know it's simple to swap stuff but neither of us has ever learned and since this is not our computer, it's not the time to start. :)

dando
01-13-11, 01:57 PM
Very impressive! I'm also glad to read it because TravelGuy concluded that 1 gig would be enough for mahjong and recipe hunting. He's off getting it installed now. I know it's simple to swap stuff but neither of us has ever learned and since this is not our computer, it's not the time to start. :)

Dudette, even Longman can install RAM. :gomer: :p

Also, if she's just playing mahjong online (not an installed program), Ubuntu might be an option. Vista is just a resource pig and very problematic.

-Kevin

KLang
01-13-11, 02:34 PM
Of course more RAM, but even then it sounds like it's past due for a reformat/fresh install. My mom's 2 year old Dell with 2GB RAM was a freekin dog until I wiped it...presto! New PC!

That would have been my preference on my father-in-law's PC but the software to re-install everything was nowhere to be found.

Andrew Longman
01-13-11, 05:15 PM
Dudette, even Longman can install RAM. :gomer: :pYes. Yes I can.

Now figuring out my new Android phone thingy and getting it to synch with Outlook and all that is impossible. And this week I am in Montreal and everything I thought I got working now doesn't.

I hadn't even figured out 90% of my Blackberry Storm after three years before I lost it.

Apparently, that's why I got married and had Trevor. My wife and Trevor are my tech support. My daughter just sighs and yells at me that I'm an idiot.

Insomniac
01-13-11, 05:40 PM
Way late, but generally adding RAM is the simplest and most gain in performance for a computer. A solid state drive is probably next on the list.

KLang
01-13-11, 05:51 PM
I bet Vista can even slow down an SSD. :D

dando
01-13-11, 07:04 PM
Yes. Yes I can.

Now figuring out my new Android phone thingy and getting it to synch with Outlook and all that is impossible. And this week I am in Montreal and everything I thought I got working now doesn't.

I hadn't even figured out 90% of my Blackberry Storm after three years before I lost it.

Apparently, that's why I got married and had Trevor. My wife and Trevor are my tech support. My daughter just sighs and yells at me that I'm an idiot.

All you need to know about Android phones is Angry Birds. :D Of course, our 4 yo is quite the expert at that already...as well as flipping through the screens, etc. :saywhat: And yes, synching with Outlook on our corp e-mail system has been an issue for me as well since the new regime are APPL fanboys (that came from GOOG, BTW), and IT only officially supports the iPhone and crackberry for e-mail access. :saywhat: Of course I did an unofficial Froyo update on my Captivate (tired of waiting for AT&T and Samsung to push the update), so some of my features are somewhat hobbled. :mad:

-Kevin

devilmaster
01-13-11, 07:05 PM
My wife and Trevor are my tech support. My daughter just sighs and yells at me that I'm an idiot.

Save this little nugget when she wants to borrow the car, daddy.

TravelGal
01-13-11, 08:43 PM
All you need to know about Android phones is Angry Birds. :D Of course, our 4 yo is quite the expert at that already...as well as flipping through the screens, etc. :saywhat: And yes, synching with Outlook on our corp e-mail system has been an issue for me as well since the new regime are APPL fanboys (that came from GOOG, BTW), and IT only officially supports the iPhone and crackberry for e-mail access. :saywhat: Of course I did an unofficial Froyo update on my Captivate (tired of waiting for AT&T and Samsung to push the update), so some of my features are somewhat hobbled. :mad:

-Kevin

Are you speaking English? :confused:

dando
01-13-11, 09:04 PM

Unfortunately I am. English 2.011. :saywhat:

And just for future reference, the next Android updates are Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich (someone has a sweet tooth @ GOOG). Refer to the GOOG vs. APPL vs. MSFT thread for more geekness. :gomer:

-Kevin

KLang
01-13-11, 09:04 PM

That would be geek. :gomer:

Cam
01-14-11, 09:20 PM
Vista on a celery!?!?!? I'm surprised it even installed. How long did that take? A week??? :eek: :saywhat:

devilmaster
01-14-11, 11:24 PM
Vista on a celery!?!?!? I'm surprised it even installed. How long did that take? A week??? :eek: :saywhat:

Cam, the thread was about old computers.... not old computer helpers.... :runs: ;)

it was a stretch, meh, i'm tired.
:)

TravelGal
01-15-11, 02:33 AM

Since you ask.......... the return to factory specs wasn't so bad but the 103 (not joking) updates took the best part of 5 hours.

We delivered it tonight back to its owner who was as delighted as can be. We only added the 512 but it works quite nicely now. She immediately noticed the difference in speed. Those mahjong games are going to go a lot quicker. :D

Thanks to all of you and your suggestions. There's a big difference between thinking you know what to do and moving forward with confidence because you actually know what to do after getting good advice.

Andrew Longman
01-15-11, 11:59 AM
There's a big difference between thinking you know what to do and moving forward with confidence because you actually know what to do after getting good advice.Yeah, but what's the sport in that? As my daughter would say, "Booooring!" :gomer:

TravelGal
01-15-11, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but what's the sport in that? As my daughter would say, "Booooring!" :gomer:

LOL LOL. I'm pretty much a hacker and slasher myself but TravelGuy adds a little leavening of common sense to the mix. Especially when it comes to tinkering with someone else's stuff. LOL LOL!

SurfaceUnits
01-17-11, 10:50 PM
Social media keyboard

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Random/aim-keyboard.jpg

TravelGal
01-18-11, 01:26 AM
Ank has his own key?