Jets at Colts
Ravens at Chiefs

NFC:

Saints at Seahawks
Packers at Eagles

extramundane
01-04-11, 04:45 PM
Jets, Ravens, Saints, Pack*

*Contingent upon Clay Matthews activating Vick's AFLAC plan.

racer2c
01-04-11, 04:50 PM
Saints over Seahawks is written in stone.

As much as I don't think they are an overall threat, It's hard to win in Arrowhead when it counts...I'll go with the Chiefs.

I'll go out on a limb and take the Colts over the Jets.

Hmmm Eagles losing at home for a Wild Card playoff game? Probably not...but I'm picking the Packers for the upset.

The answers above were obtained using pure scientific analysis.

racer2c
01-04-11, 04:59 PM
:)

Saints = 8
Seahawks = 0
Jets = 2
Colts = 5
Chiefs = 3
Ravens = 5
Packers = 5
Eagles = 3

Gnam
01-04-11, 05:58 PM
The Chiefs are doomed. Ravens win 6-3.

The Seahawk fans' reward for a 7-9 season is watching their team get destroyed at home. Mercy at halftime 42-14.

If the Eagles were playing in Green Bay I would choose them. They're not, so I won't. Packers 30-27.

Picking Jets or Colts is like trying to pick a winner at a choking contest.

nrc
01-04-11, 06:16 PM
Colts, Ravens, Saints, Eagles

JLMannin
01-04-11, 07:54 PM
Colts, Ravens, Saints, Green Bay

Methanolandbrats
01-04-11, 07:59 PM
Green Bay, I don't care about the rest of them. :D

Insomniac
01-07-11, 11:19 AM
Colts (I want the Jets to win)
Chiefs
Saints
Packers

stroker
01-07-11, 09:03 PM

what he said.

Gnam
01-07-11, 09:25 PM
Hope at least one goes to overtime. I'd like to see how the new goofy overtime rules work out.

patski
01-08-11, 03:20 PM

What he said 11 !

JLMannin
01-08-11, 09:05 PM
Well, we all picked the first game wrong. For round two, I pick the Bears over Seattle.

stroker
01-08-11, 10:23 PM
Well, we all picked the first game wrong.

Guess that's why they call them Wildcard games...

JLMannin
01-09-11, 12:19 AM
I'm 0-2 with the Jets win. I was really hoping for a 2006 Superbowl rematch. Oh, well, I guess I will have to settle for a redo of 1986. :-)

WickerBill
01-09-11, 01:32 AM
I'm 0-2 with the Jets win. I was really hoping for a 2006 Superbowl rematch. Oh, well, I guess I will have to settle for a redo of 1986. :-)

Giants/Broncos?

Insomniac
01-09-11, 11:25 AM
I knew I should've gone Seahawks/Jets (like everyone else). I have a real shpt at 0-4. Isn't that just as hard as 4-0? :D

Jim Caldwell made some real bad decisions. I found it odd he chose to receive (why would you want the Jets to get the ball to start the 3rd quarter as people are getting back to their seats?). The challenge was bad and that timeout was a horrible clock management decision.

Terrible tackling by New Orleans and an awesome run by Lynch.

stroker
01-09-11, 11:56 AM
Call me a hopeless romantic but I'm still pulling for Packers/Chiefs in The Big One.

Ed_Severson
01-09-11, 02:41 PM
Jim Caldwell made some real bad decisions.

Welcome to Indianapolis.

<credentials>

I think I can be a pretty neutral observer on this point. I'm a Colts season ticket holder and I see more of them than any other team in the NFL, but the word that best describes my attitude towards the Colts is "apathy". I am not and never will be a Colts fan, but hold no animosity towards them either.

</credentials> :p

Caldwell is a reasonably bad coach. His clock management skills are dodgy. He generally wastes at least one challenge per game, sometimes both. Third-and-short playcalling has been completely WTF all season long. Red zone playcalling hasn't been much better. They get outschemed a lot, and don't make many effective mid-game adjustments.

The Colts, when healthy, are good enough to mask a lot of their coaching issues, but they are poorly managed in a lot of ways.

WickerBill
01-09-11, 03:44 PM
I try to find someone to compare Caldwell to. The only thing I can think of is Art Shell, during his second stint with the Raiders. He sits there under his headset and looks like a Disney animatronic. Wide eyes, staring vacantly toward 'King Peyton, programmed to give coach-speak in postgame pressers. He is a perfect coach for Bill Polian, who cannot stand dissenting opinions. If we had a real coach, or even Tony Dungy, Polian would have been told that not re-signing Ryan Lilja would be a monumental mistake.

Of course, Polian now admits that it was a huge "oops", Pey-Pey has a horrible case of the happy feet due to a crappy O line, they can't run the ball, etc.

Colts needs: Offensive line revamp, change-of-speed back (currently Colts have three similar backs in Addai, Brown, and Rhodes), defensive line revamp, and a nasty, every-down MLB.

Considering those needs, it's fairly impressive they got to the playoffs at all. But you can't win by scoring 16 at home.

/frustrated

Ed_Severson
01-09-11, 04:11 PM
I try to find someone to compare Caldwell to.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__19/ept_sports_nfl_experts-182542548-1261959941.jpg?ymG8YbCDSQtFQbhH

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Chicago+Bears+v+Green+Bay+Packers+-I-CcgFfHIMl.jpg

You're welcome.

Insomniac
01-09-11, 04:54 PM
Caldwell is a reasonably bad coach. His clock management skills are dodgy. He generally wastes at least one challenge per game, sometimes both. Third-and-short playcalling has been completely WTF all season long. Red zone playcalling hasn't been much better. They get outschemed a lot, and don't make many effective mid-game adjustments.

I thought Peyton Manning was the offensive coordinator/playcaller? Someone needs to tell the media. :D

I'm going to be 0-3 soon. I apologize now to all the cheeseheads here.

WickerBill
01-09-11, 05:11 PM
I'm going to be 0-3 soon. I apologize now to all the cheeseheads here.

Hey, I'm 0-3 and picked the Eagles. You and I are going to have a "loser is no longer allowed to gamble" faceoff in about 20 minutes. :)

Insomniac
01-09-11, 09:08 PM
Hey, I'm 0-3 and picked the Eagles. You and I are going to have a "loser is no longer allowed to gamble" faceoff in about 20 minutes. :)

I suppose I win? All that I ask is you don't pick the Pats next week. ;)

You know, I didn't realize how much I dislike the Jets until I kept catching myself rooting for the Colts/Manning yesterday.

JLMannin
01-09-11, 09:32 PM
Giants/Broncos?

1987. Bears/Patriots. I always forget the Superbowl for a given season is actually played the next calendar year.

JLMannin
01-09-11, 09:37 PM
For round two, I will take:

Bears over Seattle
Atlanta over GB

NE over the Jets
Pittsburgh over Ravens

WickerBill
01-09-11, 10:24 PM
I suppose I win? All that I ask is you don't pick the Pats next week. ;)

You know, I didn't realize how much I dislike the Jets until I kept catching myself rooting for the Colts/Manning yesterday.

First, I'm never gambling on the NFL. Second, the Patriots are much stronger than my hex; I'm picking them by 24. Third, I can't understand why NE fans hate the Colts anyway... you're *supposed* to hate the Jets.

racermike
01-10-11, 03:21 AM
I was at the game saturday, and what an incredible win that was.

If there were ever a group of 68k fans in complete euphoria in an upset win at home, this was it.

Funny video of the "beast mode" TD scamper

ueR1TFFEt3g

racermike
01-10-11, 03:24 AM
BTW ... The Hawks already beat the Bears earlier this season, at Soldier Field.

So the Hawks winning next weekend, is not out of the question. (and if the Packers can upset the Falcons, the Seahawks would HOST the NFC championship in Seattle)

TKGAngel
01-10-11, 09:48 AM
Funny video of the "beast mode" TD scamper

I almost choked on my drink after reading a Canadian writer on Twitter describe Marshawn's TD run as treating the Saints D like a bunch of fat Canadian women in the middle of a crosswalk.

dando
01-10-11, 10:59 AM
Bears, Dirty Birds, Pats, Stealers.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-10-11, 05:29 PM
First, I'm never gambling on the NFL. Second, the Patriots are much stronger than my hex; I'm picking them by 24. Third, I can't understand why NE fans hate the Colts anyway... you're *supposed* to hate the Jets.

I think it's pretty simple. Peyton Manning. Even when Brady had won 3 Super Bowls, he wasn't the best QB in the NFL. I'd also add Bill Polian as #2. Whined about the Pats beating up Colts WRs, got the illegal contact emphasis the next season. The recent late comebacks didn't help.

JLMannin
01-10-11, 05:52 PM
I think it's pretty simple. Peyton Manning. Even when Brady had won 3 Super Bowls, he wasn't the best QB in the NFL. I'd also add Bill Polian as #2. Whined about the Pats beating up Colts WRs, got the illegal contact emphasis the next season. The recent late comebacks didn't help.

Then there was the 2006 AFC championship game when the Colts overcame a 21 point deficit and won the game, then went on to win the Superbowl.

Gnam
01-10-11, 07:01 PM
Ravens - Steelers is always a brutal game. They just pound on each other.
I don't care who wins, I just want everyone to have a nice time.

Watching Aaron Rodgers almost throw the Packers' win away brought back memories of his career at Cal. Just enough offense to make it interesting, then let the defense win the game.

Insomniac
01-11-11, 12:27 AM
Then there was the 2006 AFC championship game when the Colts overcame a 21 point deficit and won the game, then went on to win the Superbowl.

Don't remind me. Pats collapses = back-to-back Manning brother super bowls.

Insomniac
01-15-11, 01:27 PM
After a lot of trash talk, I'm going with the Steelers, Packers, Bears and Patriots.

nrc
01-15-11, 01:57 PM
Steelers, Pats, Bears, Falcons

Don Quixote
01-15-11, 02:19 PM
Ravens, Pats, Seahawks, Falcons

WickerBill
01-15-11, 02:34 PM
I'm going chalk.

Andrew Longman
01-15-11, 03:51 PM
This time a year gets tough for me to guess because I often haven't seen much of the teams remaining.

Pat's, definitely the Pat. Jets have to run the ball and play keep away. Don't see that happening for 60 minutes.

I've barely seen the Falcons but I've known the Ryan kid since he was in HS. I worked with his uncle. Beyond that Green Bay seems to have some destiny thing going and great defense. Might take them through another week. I'll say Green Bay.

Ravens/Steelers? I predict they both forfeit sometime in OT because too many players have died to field a team. Ravens win on a coin flip.

Seahawks/Bears? Who care? They both suck. I'll go with Seattle because that will probably piss more people off.

cameraman
01-15-11, 03:59 PM
I'm not much into football or TV. When & where are these games on?

dando
01-15-11, 04:53 PM
4:30 on CBS, 8 on Fox. That's normal time, not Utard time. :p

-Kevin

cameraman
01-15-11, 10:05 PM
Sweet Jesus, what is the deal with that dancing Fox transformer robot thing?

stroker
01-15-11, 11:15 PM

at least it's not a goddammed animated gopher...

dando
01-15-11, 11:22 PM

You need to watch more NASCAB. :gomer: :saywhat:

In other news, the Dirty Birds are crashing to the Earth epically. 13-3. Srsly? :eek:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
01-15-11, 11:29 PM
You need to watch more NASCAB. :gomer: :saywhat:

In other news, the Dirty Birds are crashing to the Earth epically. 13-3. Srsly? :eek:

-Kevin

Ain't the bird. The Packers are really, really good. They are missing their best runner (the whole season) and their best receiver. They are deep as hell. They lost most of their games by a couple points.

extramundane
01-15-11, 11:31 PM

Watch Fox enough and you'll be so busy self-trepanning to relieve the buildup of Buck/Aikman idiocy stuck in your brain that you won't even notice the robot.

cameraman
01-15-11, 11:40 PM
Damn near all the tv I watch is via a dvr. I haven't seen this many commercials in ages. My brain is melting.:shakehead

Methanolandbrats
01-16-11, 12:16 AM
Atlanta = Ned Beatty :D

stroker
01-16-11, 12:23 AM
Ain't the bird. The Packers are really, really good. They are missing their best runner (the whole season) and their best receiver. They are deep as hell. They lost most of their games by a couple points.

not trying to make excuses, but the Packers should have won every game they lost that I was able to see. I just hope they didn't use up all their Mojo tonight...

Gnam
01-16-11, 02:52 AM
Ravens/Steelers? I predict they both forfeit sometime in OT because too many players have died to field a team. Ravens win on a coin flip.

:laugh:

almost

cameraman
01-16-11, 02:56 PM
So how often do you miss entire plays to commercials on Fox?:flame:

dando
01-16-11, 04:29 PM
So how often do you miss entire plays to commercials on Fox?:flame:

No idea. I just watch for the commercials...them Coors Light spots are just plain awesome. :gomer: :saywhat: If you think this is bad, you should have watched the BC$ messes they televised. :saywhat: x 11

In other news...welcome back to the NFL, Petey. Down 28 and goes for a FG with ~2 minutes left in the 3rd. Brilliant! :laugh:

-Kevin

dando
01-16-11, 04:56 PM

I give the Pack props, but that pick 6 @ the end of the first half was about as dumb as :tony: on toast. In other news, y'all are going to visit Da. Bears. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
01-16-11, 04:57 PM
In other news...welcome back to the NFL, Petey. Down 28 and goes for a FG with ~2 minutes left in the 3rd. Brilliant! :laugh:

Completely chicken****. That's the kind of thing you do only so you can boast about not getting shutout.

Hard to believe next week's matchup will only be the second Bears/Packers playoff meeting in history.

cameraman
01-16-11, 05:04 PM
This game sucks and we were going for the Bears...

SteveH
01-16-11, 05:06 PM
This game most definitely does not suck. :D

WickerBill
01-16-11, 05:09 PM
This is a horrendously boring playoff game. That's what happens when you know the outcome 15 wall-clock minutes into the game.

cameraman
01-16-11, 05:17 PM
The wall clock stopped moving quite a while ago. Just wondering if the Bears can manage to screw it up with two to go.

cameraman
01-16-11, 05:20 PM
Out of to's. And a fight... Farking idiots

Methanolandbrats
01-16-11, 05:29 PM
Can the Bears ground crew paint the frozen mud green for next weeks game? It would look much better on TV.

edit...are those two players with head/neck injuries ok? :(

cameraman
01-16-11, 06:05 PM
Judging by the motion of his arms, Trufant suffered some serious shock to his nervous system. Seems he has feelings in all his parts though.

Methanolandbrats
01-16-11, 06:22 PM
Judging by the motion of his arms, Trufant suffered some serious shock to his nervous system. Seems he has feelings in all his parts though.

Carlson's looked worse, he landed on his head after flipping and didn't move at all, he looked dead. A news report said he has feeling too.

WickerBill
01-16-11, 06:55 PM
Carroll says they're both expected to be OK but will spend the night in hospital.

cameraman
01-16-11, 07:17 PM
Carlson was knocked out cold. At least both those guys have an entire off season for their brains to recover. You know they would force the issue of how soon to return if there was a bowl game in three weeks.

extramundane
01-16-11, 08:15 PM
"We've secretly swapped Jay Cutler and Tom Brady. Let's see if anyone notices!"

WickerBill
01-16-11, 09:46 PM
Whew, no more "Brady is so much better than Manning" talk for another year, at least. I can't even conceive of Manning with that kind of protection, having 5-6 seconds to throw the ball.

Brady has lost his last three playoff games.

dando
01-17-11, 11:34 AM
Whew, no more "Brady is so much better than Manning" talk for another year, at least. I can't even conceive of Manning with that kind of protection, having 5-6 seconds to throw the ball.

Fun listening to The Turd back peddle on his Brady > Manning trash talk today. :D

-Kevin

Gnam
01-17-11, 02:40 PM
Completely chicken****. That's the kind of thing you do only so you can boast about not getting shutout.
That's what it looked like to me. Mr. USC didn't want to look stoopid. :tony:

Was Fox using some new cameras? Some of the shots looked different.

Insomniac
01-18-11, 12:48 AM

I begged you not to pick them! Full credit to the Jets, they kept making one more play. 5-6 seconds is easy to get with a 3 man rush AND 6 person protection. Doesn't help with finding anyone open.

Brady's clutch has seemed to wear off. I'm hopeful one more draft finally fixes the defense.

Manning has lost his last two. :p

I'm on the Packers bandwagon now.

WickerBill
01-18-11, 07:16 AM
Let me backtrack.

Brady isn't responsible for the Patriots loss any more than Manning was responsible for the Colts loss. While it is the most important position in the game, it doesn't mean the W or the L completely rely on that one person. In the case of Sunday's game, Brady did fine. He made a mistake, Belichick made a couple, the defense isn't that good and wore down, etc. In Colts/Jets, Manning made some bad adjustments at the line, Caldwell was Art Shell, and special teams messed up several times.

So, unless it's Jake Delhomme in the playoffs a couple years back when he threw 15 interceptions in a game (estimated), it rarely is only the fault of the QB. But talk radio will forever yap about Brady's record vs. Manning's. Three Super Bowls to one! Manning is only 9-10 in the playoffs! He sucks!

I want them to shut up, mainly because I saw this same thing happen with Elway. "Can't win the big one." Personally, I think you put Elway behind that SFO offensive line, give him Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, and Roger Craig, and he wins plenty of Super Bowls. Likewise, you put Manning on those Patriot teams of the early 2000s and he will win plenty, too. But all the talking heads say is "this quarterback chokes." Because his best running back is Sammy Winder? Because his defense can't get off the field? How, tell me, is that Elway's/Manning's responsibility?

chop456
01-18-11, 07:39 AM
I'd like to point out that Matt Forte has thrown more career playoff interceptions than Jay Cutler.

I realize I'll probably be eating this on Sunday, but sometimes you just need to make hay while the sun shines. :D

Don Quixote
01-18-11, 09:17 AM
If Cutler throws a bunch of picks this weekend, I promise to try not to get all up in your face. :D

Napoleon
01-18-11, 09:26 AM
I am looking forward to the Chicago/Green Bay game. I am not a fan of either team but I like it that two old rivals get to play for the honor of representing the conference which represents the old NFL. The Jets/Steelers will be fun to watch also. Where I grew up was 1/2 between Cleveland and Pittsburgh so the fan base was split more or less equally between the teams, and this was during the Chuck Noll glory years so the Steelers are as close as I can get to having my team in the playoffs without Cleveland being in it.

Napoleon
01-19-11, 04:02 PM
I am looking forward to the Chicago/Green Bay game.

Below is an interesting story on the rivalry. They have meet only once in the playoffs, one week after the Pearl Harbor attack in a game played at Wrigly Field.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/19/sports/football/19rivalry.html?src=me&ref=general

http://graphics.nytimes.com/images/global/backgrounds/transparentBG.gif

Insomniac
01-19-11, 05:07 PM
I'm picking earlier this week. Packers and Jets.

Don Quixote
01-19-11, 05:29 PM
Below is an interesting story on the rivalry. They have meet only once in the playoffs, one week after the Pearl Harbor attack in a game played at Wrigly Field.
I'm picking the allies over the Japanese.

WickerBill
01-19-11, 08:32 PM
Packers and Steelers.

dando
01-19-11, 09:57 PM
Packers & Stealers. I just wish #4 was playing. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

TKGAngel
01-19-11, 10:09 PM
I'm picking the allies over the Japanese.

I thought the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? ;)

Seriously though, Packers (James Starks is a local guy) and Steelers.

Methanolandbrats
01-19-11, 10:42 PM
Packers. Only thing I'm worried about is Rodgers scrambling on that s***** field. Escaping the blitz and getting creative is a big part of his game.

WickerBill
01-20-11, 06:58 AM
Packers & Stealers. I just wish #4 was playing. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Yeah, Vinatieri was back to his old reliable self this year.

Methanolandbrats
01-20-11, 08:36 AM
Rothelsplooger and Green/Gold/Purple Jeebus have a lot in common. :yuck:

chop456
01-20-11, 09:00 AM
Favre, however, was a believer in working remotely while Roethlisberger preferred a more hands-on approach.

extramundane
01-20-11, 09:47 AM
Favre, however, was a believer in working remotely while Roethlisberger preferred a more hands-on approach.

Ben was much more impressive out of the pocket.

stroker
01-20-11, 03:25 PM
Packers. Only thing I'm worried about is Rodgers scrambling on that s***** field. Escaping the blitz and getting creative is a big part of his game.

The Falcons might have been trying to arm-tackle him and overshoot, but the Bears aren't going to be doing any of that crap. He'd best be nimble...

chop456
01-20-11, 03:28 PM
^

"I'm not gonna' touch it - you touch it."

"Poke it with a stick."

http://images.tmcnet.com/featurestory/ap/2010M12d23/Bears-Vikings-Football-JPEG-3.jpg

TKGAngel
01-20-11, 09:01 PM
I know they're in bad taste, but your BF/BR comparisons are pretty funny.

And he's tempting the wrath of the football gods, but POTUS has already said that if the Bears make it to the Super Bowl, he's attending the game. Can you imagine what a fustercluck that would make security?

Insomniac
01-20-11, 09:05 PM
I know they're in bad taste, but your BF/BR comparisons are pretty funny.

And he's tempting the wrath of the football gods, but POTUS has already said that if the Bears make it to the Super Bowl, he's attending the game. Can you imagine what a fustercluck that would make security?

I believe security at the Super Bowl has been significantly increased since 9/11. Metal detectors, pat downs and lots of security. Plus the bevy of flight restrictions.

TKGAngel
01-20-11, 09:29 PM
I believe security at the Super Bowl has been significantly increased since 9/11. Metal detectors, pat downs and lots of security. Plus the bevy of flight restrictions.

I'm aware of that. I probably should have phrased it better. POTUS' presence combined with the usual precautions against crackpots and whackjobs is going to make for a more tense environment security-wise.

WickerBill
01-21-11, 07:58 AM
I'm aware of that. I probably should have phrased it better. POTUS' presence combined with the usual precautions against crackpots and whackjobs is going to make for a more tense environment security-wise.

Agreed. "Hey Jerry, do your suites have bullet-proof glass? No? Well, make it happen in the next two weeks."

Andrew Longman
01-21-11, 09:01 AM
My limb: Packers, Steelers.

I have and will go against the Jets all the way to my total humiliation. It's not that they are punks, I just don't think loudmouth punks CAN win.

extramundane
01-21-11, 01:29 PM
A Fat People's History of the Packers-Bears rivalry (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/01/a-fat-peoples-history-of-the-packers-bears-rivalry.html).

1959: Sepia tone ban allows quarterbacks to distinguish team uniform colors. Interception rate drops dramatically.

1992-2007: FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VRE

2003: Soldier Field reopens after officials were finally able replace playing surface with even stronger concrete.

Don Quixote
01-21-11, 01:30 PM
Going with my heart: Packers, Jets.

dando
01-21-11, 01:34 PM
Jets.

Admit it....you have a foot fetish, waterboy. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

cameraman
01-21-11, 01:42 PM
I was a Jets fan once upon a time. Jets vs Colts. They even had a special prayer for the Jets at church that day...

Don Quixote
01-21-11, 01:47 PM
Admit it....you have a foot fetish, waterboy. :gomer: :p

-KevinHey bungle boi, look at who they are playing. I can't help it, I was raised this way.