PDA

View Full Version : ALMS TV package

cameraman
01-03-11, 02:57 PM
Tape delayed coverage on ABC and ESPN2

All races "live and fully produced" on ESPN3.com.
will deliver nearly 60 hours of live coverage including 60-minute qualifying shows from each event along with pre- and post-race content.

Looks like I need to Google this one...
The network is currently available in more than 65 million households nationwide in the U.S. at no additional cost to users who receive their Internet connection of cable TV video subscription from an affiliated provider. Customers of an affiliated service provider will also be able to watch the Series live via an ESPN3.com pop-off player on americanlemans.com and Xbox LIVE Gold.

Documentaries too
The 2011 ESPN telecast package also includes a two-hour documentary-style broadcast from the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix in September – a race through the city’s inner harbor area – to be produced by Intersport’s Emmy-award winning production team. ALMS’ association with Intersport began in the 2010 season. Intersport produced two docudrama-style race broadcasts which told the story of the Series’ events at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and Mid-Ohio, and highlighted its many storylines and colorful personalities.

American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón Schedule

Sebring
Friday, March 18 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, March 19 ESPN3.com 10:15 a.m.-11 p.m.
Sunday, March 20 ABC 12:30-2 p.m.

Long Beach
Friday, April 15 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, April 16 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, April 17 ESPN2 5-7 p.m.

Lime Rock
Friday, July 8 ESPN3.comLive Qualifying
Saturday, July 9 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, July 10 ESPN2 1-3 p.m.

Mosport
Saturday, July 23 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Sunday, July 24 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, July 24 ESPN2 10 p.m.-12 a.m.

Mid-Ohio
Friday, August 5 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, August 6 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, August 7 ESPN2 10 p.m.-12 a.m.

Road America
Friday, August 19 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, August 20 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, August 21 ABC 4:30-6 p.m.

Baltimore
Friday, September 2 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, September 3 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, September 11 ABC 4-6 p.m.

Laguna Seca Mazda Raceway
Friday, September 16 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, September 17 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, September 18 ESPN2 1-3 p.m.

Road Atlanta
Friday, September 30 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, October 1 ESPN3.com Live Race Coverage
Sunday, October 2 ABC 4-6 p.m.

cameraman
01-03-11, 03:01 PM
Seems ESPN3.com is a cable tv station available on providers listed here:

http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList

Conspicuously absent are Dish Network and DirecTV:irked: (Ignore this)

Also available if you are an Xbox Live Gold member.

I guess it is you ISP not your TV provider that matters. Your ISP has to be on that affiliate list not your TV provider. Unless you have the couple that demand that you get both you TV and your ISP from them. My isp isn't on the list so it looks like I don't get to see any of the live ALMS coverage.

Looks like Canada is just plain screwed - it seems that they get no coverage at all:shakehead

TrueBrit
01-03-11, 03:20 PM
Brilliant! I won't be able to watch ANY live ALMS on the telly this year...that's just effin' marvelous...the only real racing worth a damn and I'm going to have to watch it streaming on the putey...

GREAT move...:rolleyes:

extramundane
01-03-11, 03:27 PM
I'm glad someone was finally able to use Champ Car's 2008 TV package. :\

cameraman
01-03-11, 03:41 PM
Brilliant! I won't be able to watch ANY live ALMS on the telly this year...that's just effin' marvelous...the only real racing worth a damn and I'm going to have to watch it streaming on the putey...

GREAT move...:rolleyes:

Or maybe you won't be watching it on the computer. Is you ISP on that list I linked?

Methanolandbrats
01-03-11, 03:44 PM
ESPN.3 works well. I watch some Big Ten Hoops on it. I have not done it, but can't you hook the puter up to a big tv with HDMI?

Andrew Longman
01-03-11, 03:55 PM
Trevor and I have CenturyLink (former Embarq former Earthlink).

SOL

It is all we can get for high speed ISP in these wilds 60 miles west of Manhattan. Unless I switch to Service Electric (the first and oldest cable company in America -- with the equipment to prove it :gomer::thumbup:) for cable and internet.

Just an excuse to see more races in person I suppose. Just like when I was a youngster.

extramundane
01-03-11, 05:06 PM
ESPN.3 works well. I watch some Big Ten Hoops on it. I have not done it, but can't you hook the puter up to a big tv with HDMI?

It was my experience during the World Cup that ESPN3(60)'s quality varied wildly. At times, it was really good; other times, not so much. And that was over a 20Mbps fiber connection; I suspect over DSL or entry-level cable, it's not pretty.

The ESPN3 bit is great as a supplemental service, but as the primary means of race delivery? We're not quite there yet. At this rate, by the time we are there, ALMS may not be anywhere.

pchall
01-03-11, 05:37 PM
That's not a TV package. That is a tiny little Hershey's Kiss wrapped in foil.

Mazda will get spec Miata more visible air time.

chop456
01-04-11, 02:20 AM
The first time in a long time I won't be going to Sebring and there's 90 minutes of TV coverage? Sweet.

Rogue Leader
01-04-11, 02:02 PM
I read one article where an ALMS official called this new package a "game changer" or something like that.

Yeah the game is gonna change quite a bit when the team sponsors realize they get barely 90 minutes of TV time at odd hours. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Here we go - "Groundbreaking" "a game changer"

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110103/ALMS/110109994

cameraman
01-04-11, 02:13 PM
The folks that run the ALMS are trying mightily to put lipstick on a pig and I can't fault them for that, it is their job. The sad thing is this is the best that they could come up with because without major series sponsorship there is no money to put on anything better.

Why doesn't Speed just cover the whole thing? Because no one is willing to cover the costs.

Seems sponsoring a series is out of vogue and all advertising monies belong to Google & Facebook:rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
01-04-11, 04:21 PM
The folks that run the ALMS are trying mightily to put lipstick on a pig and I can't fault them for that, it is their job.I think that's true. I also think this deal is "groundbreaking" (not the word I'd use) in that it is done in the light of what "new media" really means.

NASCAR was growing when cable was growing in the number of households served. And it was a time when cable stations (esp. ESPN) were growing and looking for content to fill the time. That was a "get in cheap and ride the tide" time for NASCAR, sponsors, ESPN and cable in general. CART benefited at the time for the same reasons.

Now all that has changed. Forget 500 channels muddying up cable. That's old news. I've read stories now that much of the under 25 crowd is basically shunning cable/sat TV and going back to antennas. They watch all their TV over the internet and on their terms using hulu and youtube Cable stations are less concerned about the amount of content they have. They just run it over and over. The goal is to get people to record it more than it is to fill 24 hours in a day and keep people glued to the TV

Trevor watches NO TV live at all. He starts the DVR, plays GT5 and then zips through the commercials or watches it when he wants (usually 3 am when he should be sleeping :saywhat:)

And he only surfs the net maybe twice a week on a PC but he is on it constantly on his smart phone (watching TV shows there too)

I guess my point is that the paradigm of the big network TV package and series sponsorship pushed to millions of viewers who predictably watch it in a three hour window once a week is gone.

And hence the business model around it that supports racing needs to change. Don't expect NASCAR to get another bazillion dollar deal from Sprint (or ESPN or NBC or whatever). Same for the NFL btw while they debate labor contracts. The money is there, but it requires a different yardstick to measure and I don't think anyone has fully found it yet.

racer2c
01-04-11, 06:04 PM
Woah...I just had a major de ja vu. Weird.

With all of the garbage on tv and with the under 30 crowd still into cars (maybe not as much as generations past) I'm surprised that the ALMS isn't able to garner a better package. Historic races with state of the art cars that should appeal to a broad demographic....what's the deal!?! I'd hate to drag out the NASCAR gorilla because that ape is losing weight. I don't get it.

racer2c
01-04-11, 06:07 PM
Trevor watches NO TV live at all. He starts the DVR, plays GT5 and then zips through the commercials or watches it when he wants (usually 3 am when he should be sleeping :saywhat:)

And he only surfs the net maybe twice a week on a PC but he is on it constantly on his smart phone (watching TV shows there too)

That's my 20 year old daughter too minus the GT5. Makes one wonder where we are heading. Where ever it is...we're moving there fast.

extramundane
01-04-11, 07:38 PM
With all of the garbage on tv and with the under 30 crowd still into cars (maybe not as much as generations past) I'm surprised that the ALMS isn't able to garner a better package.

It's a time buy and the series wasn't willing to pay for a better package.

cameraman
01-04-11, 07:48 PM
It's a time buy and the series wasn't willing to pay for a better package.

Or more likely able.

extramundane
01-04-11, 08:00 PM
Or more likely able.

Yeah, that too.

Indy
01-05-11, 02:18 AM
So, can anyone 'splain to me how to get to ESPN3? I know my provider should grant me access, but have no idea how I make that happen.

cameraman
01-05-11, 04:22 AM
It should be as simple as going to:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index
and registering. You could also just try clicking on the blue "Watch" button and see what happens.

High Sided
01-05-11, 12:45 PM
espn3 powered by at&t

just one more reason to love my uverse!!!

Methanolandbrats
01-05-11, 12:51 PM
So, can anyone 'splain to me how to get to ESPN3? I know my provider should grant me access, but have no idea how I make that happen.

For hoops I just googled ESPN3, clicked on the first search link and then clicked on the game I wanted to watch. No registration for anything.

Indy
01-05-11, 10:12 PM
espn3 powered by at&t

just one more reason to love my uverse!!!

Yeah, apparently it knows you have uverse if you are using your home connection. Sweet.

NismoZ
01-07-11, 10:59 AM
:cool: "Docudrama Racing"! I can hardly wait! No spoilers, please!:shakehead

SurfaceUnits
01-22-11, 09:30 PM

yep, I just got a new video card with HDMI & HD Audio output to my 24" desktop screen..sweeet

Lux Interior
01-22-11, 10:29 PM
I dont get ESPN3. Is it online only? If so, that's a huge setback for ALMS.

cameraman
01-22-11, 11:10 PM
I dont get ESPN3. Is it online only? If so, that's a huge setback for ALMS.

Only available through your cable internet service provider.

If you go here:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

It will auto-magically decide if you are worthy.

G.
01-22-11, 11:27 PM
Wow, to get it streamed on xbox live you STILL need to be getting internet from their approved suppliers.

:shakehead

SteveH
01-23-11, 12:24 AM
I'll bet it will appear on some pirate web sites if you know where to look. I watched every F1 race live that was tape delayed on FOX over the innerwebs. Most of the time it was the BBC feed.

Might want to check these out
http://twentysport.blogspot.com/
http://www.justin.tv/

there's a few more like these

SurfaceUnits
01-23-11, 03:40 AM
Only available through your cable internet service provider.

my dsl service is a affiliate

extramundane
01-23-11, 10:41 AM
my dsl service is a affiliate

I think his point is that you have to have "landline" internet. No wireless providers are supported.

SurfaceUnits
01-23-11, 01:10 PM
I bet that QT Carly selling 4G can get it