PDA

View Full Version : Instruction Manuals

Elmo T
01-03-11, 10:37 AM
Yes - I actually read them, but only after pushing all the buttons. The actual instructions can be trying at times. :rolleyes:

I received a Sony HD camcorder from Santa this year. Most of the instructions make sense - don't take it to the beach, it might get sand in it; don't get it wet, etc. But then I read this:

Do not wrap your camcorder with a towel, for
example, and operate it. Doing so might cause
heat to build up inside.

Obviously, this was important enough to justify its own line. Why would I want to wrap my camera in a towel, especially while it was running? :confused:

Methanolandbrats
01-03-11, 11:04 AM
Rain protection, sound proofing, makeshift tripod, shock absorption....

Andrew Longman
01-03-11, 11:13 AM
Obviously, this was important enough to justify its own line. ...Because undoubtedly someone did once and sued. Perhaps it caught fire and burned their house down with great loss of life. Or just some emotional trauma. Lots of lost files of weddings, and 2 year olds with ice cream cake in their hair.

Regardless, it prompted a memo from Sony Legal to Sony Engineering Support along the lines of, "You are hereby directed to at the next reprinting of any owners manual include the following disclaimer..."

Insomniac
01-03-11, 12:19 PM
Clearly it's a warning to the hidden camera crowd. :D

Andrew Longman
01-03-11, 12:30 PM
Clearly it's a warning to the hidden camera crowd. :DWe may have a bingo. A flaming towel in a locker room is a dead giveaway.

Elmo T
01-03-11, 12:56 PM
Regardless, it prompted a memo from Sony Legal to Sony Engineering Support along the lines of, "You are hereby directed to at the next reprinting of any owners manual include the following disclaimer..."

That was my guess - but the whole towel thing threw me - at least until the hidden camera thing popped up. :saywhat:

It seemed so out of place with the other do's and don'ts. :laugh:

racer2c
01-03-11, 01:03 PM
This reminds me of the first gen xbox 360 red ring o' death towel fix. Wrap it in a towel for an hour while on and an internal reset would trigger due to heat build up. :)

TKGAngel
01-03-11, 07:41 PM
My new toaster has a note in the instructions that it is forbidden to operate the toaster with a remote control or other manipulative device.

WickerBill
01-04-11, 08:31 AM
Way back in the day, at my first job (food service), the industrial size box of toothpicks had a warning: "Do not ingest. Not for internal use."