PDA

View Full Version : Top 40 Worst Cars Ever Built...

devilmaster
12-27-10, 03:33 AM
Yep, its another one of those pointless top whatever lists... ;)

Good for a quick gander... A couple of surprises in there, a couple not so...

http://www.windsorstar.com/worst+cars+ever+built/3368706/story.html

RaceGrrl
12-27-10, 01:12 PM
Not surprised to see the DeLorean in the group. I used to work for a surgeon who had a DeLorean. He was about 6'2" and it was funny to see him try to get out of that car. Unfortunately he was killed in a car accident about a year and a half after I started working for him. He was driving his Cadillac Allante at the time. No idea what happened to the DeLorean- I'm sure his widow sold it.

Elmo T
12-27-10, 01:30 PM
Grandmom had a Chevy Vega. :laugh:

That didn't make the list??

cameraman
12-27-10, 01:34 PM
It is a pretty lame list. Some of those British ones might have been maintenance nightmares but they are in no way some of the worst cars ever built.

extramundane
12-27-10, 01:36 PM
It is a pretty lame list. Some of those British ones might have been maintenance nightmares but they are in no way some of the worst cars ever built.

Agreed. I'd maybe name 10 of those in a "worst ever" list.

TrueBrit
12-27-10, 02:02 PM

Yeah, putting the Stag and an E-Type Jag on that list is a joke...Besides which, they were only supposed to run properly for as long as it took to get the bird you were pulling from the pub, into the car and home for some of the old 'How's your Father'?....anything after that, from the bird OR the car, was to be considered gravy..

nrc
12-27-10, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the criteria for "worst" seems vague at best. Whenever you start a description of a "worst" car with "not really bad, but" you know you're reaching.

Methanolandbrats
12-27-10, 02:34 PM
Pacers were cool and the Excursion, especially the diesel version is an excellent way to tow a huge trailer and stuff people and things inside.

gjc2
12-27-10, 03:21 PM
The worst thing about the Corvair is that it launched Ralph Nader’s career.
In the case of the MGA they’re talking about the twin cam version.
Did the Amphicar also make the “worst boat” list?

nrc
12-27-10, 04:46 PM
Along with the Vega, I'd suggest that the entire GM X-body line belongs on the list.

Don Quixote
12-27-10, 04:57 PM
I think we can all agree on the Vega. I would also be willing to bet that the Pinto would be a unanimous choice also.

Napoleon
12-27-10, 05:38 PM
Along with the Vega, I'd suggest that the entire GM X-body line belongs on the list.

Bingo - when I saw this list this morning the first thing I thought was if the first car I bought, a 1980 Chevy Citation was not on that list it was not worth squat. It was a truely bad car.

WickerBill
12-27-10, 06:17 PM

I'd also argue for the J platform's inclusion. I guess it was, with the Cimmaron, but the Cavalier, Sunbird, and Firenza deserve special treatment for how they hastened the demise of GM. Nobody who ever drove a Cavalier wanted another GM vehicle, ever.

devilmaster
12-27-10, 06:37 PM
I noticed that in this list some of the comments on certain cars almost echoed Jeremy Clarkson's remarks on them....

extramundane
12-27-10, 07:41 PM

But that Citation X-11....there was no better blend of style, value and torque-steering into a tree!

racer2c
12-27-10, 09:00 PM
But that Citation X-11....there was no better blend of style, value and torque-steering into a tree!

Lol!!

stroker
12-27-10, 10:09 PM
So the Renault "Le Car" misses the list? That's bogus.

datachicane
12-28-10, 01:09 AM
Hmmm, a few pretty damn nice cars on that list, and a bunch of others that seem more like criticisms of the class rather than the specific ride. Microcars are small and cramped! SUVs are big and thirsty! Whatever.

More like, Top 40 Cars That My Editor Told Me To Compile In A List, Of Which Most I Have No Idea Whatsoever, Except Some I've Heard Of And Others That Are Not In The Least Like The Beige Camry I Drive And Therefore Can't Be Much Good.

Don Quixote
12-28-10, 10:18 AM
Forgot about that one. Mark it down.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_leoGYAeiH44/TCQpoWsdFdI/AAAAAAAAKck/HXPrWmis4Lc/s1600/R5_LeCar_Canada.jpg

racer2c
12-28-10, 10:48 AM
Hmmm, a few pretty damn nice cars on that list, and a bunch of others that seem more like criticisms of the class rather than the specific ride. Microcars are small and cramped! SUVs are big and thirsty! Whatever.

More like, Top 40 Cars That My Editor Told Me To Compile In A List, Of Which Most I Have No Idea Whatsoever, Except Some I've Heard Of And Others That Are Not In The Least Like The Beige Camry I Drive And Therefore Can't Be Much Good.

Exactly. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
12-28-10, 12:46 PM

A guy I know bought one of those ****boxes. It only had a few thousand miles on it and on a trip from Madison to Green Bay, both inner CV joints fragged. :rofl:

Andrew Longman
12-28-10, 02:02 PM
The Vega didn't make the list but the Chevette did, which is probably appropriate since the Chevette replaced the Vega. GM should have known better by then.

I remember reading an article about the LeCar and comparing it to the Pinto. While the Pinto might have caught fire in a rear engine collision the LeCar would simply break into a thousand small flying pieces. I guess that was on purpose to "dissipate the energy", right?

Had a friend with a Yugo... well, for a while. He drove it almost brand new from NYC to NC. About halfway the head gasket blew. The dealer pointed out where in the owners manual it said you weren't supposed to drive it that long in one stretch.

Re Prowler, according to a friend at Chrysler, it had the worst initial quality of any Chrysler... ever. Killed due to warranty costs more than anything.

Gangrel
12-28-10, 02:08 PM
No Fiero? Not a single Korean car on the list? If I were a caveman, I think my response would be, "C'mon Man!!!"

Methanolandbrats
12-28-10, 02:10 PM
Had a friend with a Yugo... well, for a while. He drove it almost brand new from NYC to NC. About halfway the head gasket blew. The dealer pointed out where in the owners manual it said you weren't supposed to drive it that long in one stretch....

:rofl: Damn, that's funny. There were fun times at the Chicago Auto Show. My friends and I liked to openly critique the exhibits. I remember walking past the Yugo and one of them opens the door and says "the door panels are ****ing cardboard". We all roared with laughter and moved on to the next car. Walking past the Saturn we wondered aloud if the doors would pop back out if we kicked them in. The Saturn people would not let us do the test.

Don Quixote
12-28-10, 02:16 PM
I remember walking past the Yugo and one of them opens the door and says "the door panels are ****ing cardboard".
In the early 80's the secretary for the company I worked for, who was a bonafide hot item, was attracted to this guy who drove a Yugo. Apparently there was some sort of mystique about a man who drove an eastern european car. Imagine driving that car up I-70 west of Denver. :D

Andrew Longman
12-28-10, 02:25 PM
Best resting place for a Yugo http://www.crookedbrains.net/2007/12/yugo-art.html

Artist Kevin O'Callaghan, a Manhattan School of Visual Arts professor, saw something of beauty in the car that the public has turned its back on. He bought 39 Yugos & asked his students to make objects of functional art from them.
Twelve of these recycled Yugos were displayed at the '97 auto show hosted by the St. Louis auto dealers association.
"What do you do when a Yugo don't go? It's about taking a useless product and giving it a new life," said O'Callaghan, also the exhibit's curator.

My favorite http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NpINLHeo8rM/R15IwQHiHOI/AAAAAAAAK4o/VjcHUdNV5qM/s1600/15.jpg

grungex
12-29-10, 03:49 AM
Forgot about that one. Mark it down.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_leoGYAeiH44/TCQpoWsdFdI/AAAAAAAAKck/HXPrWmis4Lc/s1600/R5_LeCar_Canada.jpg

I beg to disagree. It took them a while but they eventually got it right...

http://image.sportcompactcarweb.com/f/8944116/0308_05z%2B1986_renault_r5_turbo2%2Bfront_left_vie w.jpg

cameraman
12-29-10, 06:15 AM
http://image.sportcompactcarweb.com/f/8944116/0308_05z%2B1986_renault_r5_turbo2%2Bfront_left_vie w.jpg

http://www.motorator.com/videos/372 :D

Don Quixote
12-29-10, 11:08 AM
^^^ I like the one at 1:09 :D

devilmaster
12-30-10, 08:45 PM
I think the big problem with this list is that it didn't keep itself to one point...

Make a list of the worst designed cars.... (aztec) or the worst built cars.....(anything I helped build) or the worst maintenance cars.... (see 2nd point)

racermike
12-30-10, 09:16 PM
My first car was a 1978 Chevy Chevette, so I was not too far off that list.