PDA

View Full Version : What ya cooking?

Methanolandbrats
12-24-10, 05:36 PM
Ok chefs and cheflettes, what ya whipping up for the big feast? Ham, scalloped spuds and green bean casserole with crumbled BACON :D on this end. I killed myself cooking at Thanksgiving, so I'm going easy and low intensity with this one.

Don Quixote
12-24-10, 06:14 PM
I use the hoidy toidy recipe by Alton Brown instead of the version on the can of onions. I love it either way. :thumbup:

TKGAngel
12-24-10, 06:18 PM
Tonight's meal consists of bone-in pork chops, roasted potatoes, veggies and ice cream for dessert. Tomorrow night at my grandmother's will be an unknown entree served with cheesy potatoes & chef salad (plus whatever else my grandma makes) plus bread dip & cheese & pepperoni for pre-dinner snacks.

ETA: i voted "heck no" on the poll question. I'm allergic to the mushroom portion of the casserole.

KLang
12-24-10, 06:27 PM
I'm roasting a smallish whole turkey breast tonight for the wife and I.

Christmas day is Prime Rib. :)

The green beans at the store this week didn't look so good so I'm skipping those.

stroker
12-24-10, 09:09 PM
Fish Chowder and crunchy bread.

Washed down with cold beer.

Standing Rib Roast tomorrow.

Yay!

G.
12-24-10, 09:38 PM
postponed the lamb leg for another day, had chili instead (time issue). Prime rib tomorrow.

Post your food pr0n!

Andrew Longman
12-24-10, 10:14 PM
For tonight (any minute) grilled butterflied leg of lamb stuffed with feta. Marinated in brown sugar. lemon juice and soy sauce . Steamed green bean and lemon rice too.

Tomorrow roast beef. Not exactly sure how I'll cook it yet.

Trevor's mom has a Greek bean thingy she does with mint and tomatoes. He's always loved it. Calls it "messy string beans". Now we all do.

cameraman
12-24-10, 10:40 PM
Tonight, nothing special as I'm cleaning/cooking for tomorrow. Never been a big Christmas Eve thing with my family, don't know why just the way it is.

For tomorrow afternoon I'm cooking up a New York Strip roast, probably with a simple garlic/sage/thyme rub. With that a butternut/acorn squash soup (chicken stock cooking right now), roasted baby golden beets, mashed potatoes, warm spinach salad with chevre, bacon & balsamic. There's some rolls that need to find some time in the oven too. Sprung for the E. Guigal Chateauneuf du Pape

My brother is bringing desert.

Ankf00
12-24-10, 11:19 PM
went down to the water today to pick up 12 pounds of fresh colossal jumbo gulf white shrimp (as big as from your wrist to the end of your fingers) and another 8 lbs of redfish filets (was too late to pick up any whole redfish or snapper, boo)

BBQ shrimp (NOLA style, ie sauteed in worcestershire-butter sauce) w/ baguette
Blackened redfish w/ cabbage & lemon butter sauce, and creole red beans & rice, couldn't find tasso but they had ham hocks and salt-cured jowls so i figured why the hell not.

this will require infinitely less time than last year's kogi taco-fest, and my mom's already bitching me out about not repeating last year's amount of leftovers

almost forgot, my stance on casseroles is that they, and America's love of them, are why the germans bombed pearl harbor. They belong at #1 on the Terrorist Watch List.

Methanolandbrats
12-24-10, 11:38 PM
went down to the water today to pick up 12 pounds of fresh colossal jumbo gulf white shrimp (as big as from your wrist to the end of your fingers) and another 8 lbs of redfish filets (was too late to pick up any whole redfish or snapper, boo)

BBQ shrimp (NOLA style, ie sauteed in worcestershire-butter sauce) w/ baguette
Blackened redfish w/ cabbage & lemon butter sauce, and creole red beans & rice, couldn't find tasso but they had ham hocks and salt-cured jowls so i figured why the hell not.

this will require infinitely less time than last year's kogi taco-fest, and my mom's already bitching me out about not repeating last year's amount of leftovers

almost forgot, my stance on casseroles is that they, and America's love of them, are why the germans bombed pearl harbor. They belong at #1 on the Terrorist Watch List.

Tasty fare, but the TSA should look in your butt for that comment about casseroles you un-american sumbitch :D

G.
12-24-10, 11:47 PM
Merry Christmas!

TrueBrit
12-24-10, 11:57 PM
Pork Crown Roast, sprouts au gratin, Ramsay's Pork Apricot and Pistachio stuffing, TrueBrit's cranberry and crushed-walnut stuffing, Bisto gravy, mashed taters and an angioplasty.

Beef Rib Roast and Yorkshire puds on Boxing day.

TrueBrit
12-24-10, 11:59 PM
For tonight (any minute) grilled butterflied leg of lamb stuffed with feta. Marinated in brown sugar. lemon juice and soy sauce . Steamed green bean and lemon rice too.

Tomorrow roast beef. Not exactly sure how I'll cook it yet.

Trevor's mom has a Greek bean thingy she does with mint and tomatoes. He's always loved it. Calls it "messy string beans". Now we all do.

Bloody hell that lamb sounds good!!

Andrew Longman
12-25-10, 01:21 AM
Bloody hell that lamb sounds good!!

It was. All gone.:D

Elmo T
12-25-10, 08:05 AM
Kids up at 0515. :saywhat:

Sticky buns just came out of the oven.

Two quiches ready to go in - one "plain" with bacon and onion; another "spicy" with peppers, onions, bacon, and taco seasoning.

Chocolate chip pancakes later when Grammie gets here.

First time we are having dinner out tonight. Mixed emotions on that one.

Merry Christmas!

dando
12-25-10, 08:48 AM
First time we are having dinner out tonight. Mixed emotions on that one.

Merry Christmas!

Frah rah rah rah, rah rah rah rah. :gomer:

Girls just now stirring. :gomer: :p

No cooking for me. Today and tomorrow are on the MIL..prime rib for the official unofficial IL Xmas tomorrow. Not sure about tonight.

Last night was just ziti and red sauce with fresh moz and some killer mac & cheese...and lots of beverage. :D

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-25-10, 02:37 PM
Youngest kid up at O'Dark:30. Caught Trevor up at 3am sniffing through the presents.

Apple cinnamon rolls and oranges and coffee for breakfast. Two apple pies in the oven now.

Roast beef wrapped in bacon went on smoker several hours ago. Will get it to near final temp then wrap it in foil and towel in a cooler for a few whiles, then top it off in a hot oven when we feel like eating.

Got a new bigger Kitchenaid mondo mixer from Santa. Thing looks like the Burlington Zephyr. Guess I'm making bread too. :D

dando
12-25-10, 03:04 PM
FYI, if I had my druthers since the entire family isn't in town yet, I'd be making a big batch of Halupke, which is cabbage rolls or meatballs in cabbage (or in our case rinsed sauerkraut). Our version is seasoned with a VERY dark roux, which takes over an hour to make...makes gumbo roux look pale. :eek: Most times you come across cabbage rolls they are served with tomato sauce, so our version is completely different than most (and much more tasty, IMO).

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-25-10, 03:41 PM
dando, that sounds good. I haven't had a good cabbage roll since my great-grandmother (she of the just off the boat Polish stock) passed.

I did a Starbucks run for my parents this morning and then we went through our giftapalooza.

dando
12-25-10, 04:31 PM
dando, that sounds good. I haven't had a good cabbage roll since my great-grandmother (she of the just off the boat Polish stock) passed.

You have no idea....get a big bowl of cabbage and gravy with a few meatballs and some rye bread. :thumbup: I cringe when I see cabbage rolls in tomato sauce. :yuck:

Sounds like our lineage is similar. My great grand parents emigrated from the Austria-Hungary area after the war to end all wars (WWI), so there is a major Czech-Slavic influence in our family recipes (including pirogi). We've managed to carry on a few of them, and I'd to think it's as good as my grandmother's, but that's unpossible. ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-25-10, 05:01 PM
so there is a major Czech-Slavic influence in our family

too bad none of the slavic good looks passed on to you:gomer:

:D

Cam
12-25-10, 07:42 PM

The feta I can see... But lamb is sweet enough and I just don't see the extras. Slather it with garlic and cook the poor little bastard that probably grew up on the South island.

JLMannin
12-25-10, 08:41 PM
Turducken.

G.
12-25-10, 08:56 PM
Anybody got a beef bouillon cube I can borrow?
:\

manic mechanic
12-25-10, 09:59 PM
Got to this one late, but Mrs. Manic (aka Thunder Rose) is rockin' this holiday:

Last night: Grilled lobster tails with cilantro butter, baked corn cake, red cabbage slaw and SoCal style fresh spinach salad with hot applewood smoked bacon dressing served with an Imagine Viognier.

Tonight we have prime rib, yorkshire pudding, fresh broccoli and apple tarts for dessert accompanied by a 2006 Chalone Pinot Noir. :D

What can I say; We have no kids, so I'm spoiled! :p

manic

Dvdb
12-25-10, 10:08 PM
Appetizers: Shrimp, Stone crab

Dinner: Lobster, beef tenderloin, veal with a morel sauce, lamb chop, baby new potatoes, and a caramel roll.

Passed on dessert.

Thank you country club buffet.

dando
12-26-10, 12:06 AM
too bad none of the slavic good looks passed on to you:gomer:

Fixed. :p

-Kevin

dando
12-26-10, 12:25 AM
OK, so we got to the MIL's a little after 5 and she needed some help with the rib roast since the timer was dinging. Add another 30 minutes she says. So I go upstairs to check it (while mayhem is breaking out whilst presents are being opened by the kids). Roast is measuring ~110, but the oven seems warm but not hot, while the top oven is cranking away @ 350. Hmmm, OK. So I go back down to ask her what goes on top...nothing but the 'taters she says. :confused: So I let it go for a few and then go back to check on the mayhem and then the roast, etc. Bottom oven is turned off. :saywhat: Go back down to tell her "Houston, we have a problem" and end up switching the roast to the top oven, which is already to temp. Dinner now delayed from "6:30" to 7:30 @ best and roast is barely measuring 130 by 7ish. Ended up nuking prime rib slices to make a few folks happy. :irked:

-Kevin

G.
12-26-10, 01:04 AM
Dinner now delayed from "6:30" to 7:30 @ best and roast is barely measuring 130 by 7ish. Ended up nuking prime rib slices to make a few folks happy. :irked:

-Kevin
That's what the ******* bouillon is for (which no one came through for me, I might add :irked:).

It's prime rib Visine ("gets the red out") for the nancy steak eaters.

:gomer:

Rib, yorkshire pudding, roasted asparagus with grape tomatoes and kalamata olives, apple pie, yum! Saving the roast end pieces for pizza topping Monday (oddlycalm suggestion).

Andrew Longman
12-26-10, 08:54 AM
The feta I can see... But lamb is sweet enough and I just don't see the extras. Slather it with garlic and cook the poor little bastard that probably grew up on the South island.Marinade is 1/2c soy sauce, juice of 1 lemon, a few tablespoons fo brown sugar, 4-5 cloves garlic and 1 yellow onion -- all zapped in a food processor.

Don't know what to say except I've done that with lamb and stuffed it with feta (sometimes add toasted pine nuts too) for years and it simply kicks ass. Cool with chops too, just hard on my wallet to feed chops to an army.

The letting it sit for a few hours in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels before bringing it up to final temp keeps it amazingly moist too. Did that last night for an eye round roast and it came out as most and nearly tender as prime rib.

Don Quixote
12-26-10, 11:10 AM
OK, so we got to the MIL's a little after 5 and she needed some help with the rib roast since the timer was dinging. Add another 30 minutes she says. So I go upstairs to check it (while mayhem is breaking out whilst presents are being opened by the kids). Roast is measuring ~110, but the oven seems warm but not hot, while the top oven is cranking away @ 350. Hmmm, OK. So I go back down to ask her what goes on top...nothing but the 'taters she says. :confused: So I let it go for a few and then go back to check on the mayhem and then the roast, etc. Bottom oven is turned off. :saywhat: Go back down to tell her "Houston, we have a problem" and end up switching the roast to the top oven, which is already to temp. Dinner now delayed from "6:30" to 7:30 @ best and roast is barely measuring 130 by 7ish. Ended up nuking prime rib slices to make a few folks happy. :irked:

-KevinClassic! Next time they will put you in charge from the get-go. You were minutes short of 7-11 roller hotdogs! Since I hate to brag (:gomer:), so I won't go on and on about my second straight perfect smoked turkey, but this time with a standing rib at the same time! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Corner5
12-26-10, 11:38 AM
Didn't cook, some of my family went to the Osthof in Elkhart Lake for Christmas Day brunch-

Christmas Day Buffet
Saturday, December 25, 2010
Menu

Osthoff Mixed Green Salad w/Assortment of Homemade Dressings
Classic Caesar Salad w/Herb Croutons and Parmesan Cheese
Yukon Gold Potato Salad w/White Truffle Oil Vinaigrette
Cannellini Bean and Duck Confit Salad w/Roasted Wild Mushroom Vinaigrette

Smoked Atlantic Salmon w/Traditional Condiments
Osthoff Signature Pâtés and Terrines
Classic Shrimp Cocktail
Seasonal Fresh Fruit Display w/Raspberry Yogurt Sauce
Vegetable Crudités w/Signature Herb Dip
Wisconsin Cheese and Sausage Display

Chef Prepared Omelets and
Fresh Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce

Chef-Carved Roasted Black Angus Prime Rib w/Bordelaise Sauce
Chef-Carved Apple Wood Smoked Ham w/Port Wine Currant Chutney

Roasted Pork Loin Roulade w/Sun- Dried Cherry, Fresh Herb Stuffing
and Port Wine Pan Jus
Sautéed Gulf Shrimp and King Crab w/Saffron Sauce, Ginger and Fresh Orange,
and Yukon Gold Potatoes w/Fennel and Tomatoes
Smoked Mozzarella Ravioli w/Braised Swiss Chard, Roasted Tomatoes
and Fine Herb Cream Sauce

Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes with Herb Gravy
Melted Leeks and Roasted Garlic Rice Pilaf
Clover Honey Glazed Root Vegetables

Chef’s Display of Home made Holiday Desserts

It was excellent!:thumbup:

dando
12-26-10, 11:42 AM
Classic! Next time they will put you in charge from the get-go. You were minutes short of 7-11 roller hotdogs! Since I hate to brag (:gomer:), so I won't go on and on about my second straight perfect smoked turkey, but this time with a standing rib at the same time! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sad part is that's one of the easiest roasts to cook. :saywhat: Doesn't help that the control pad layout for the wall ovens is just short of the space shuttle. :irked:

Looks like the weather is trending to favorable for NY's Day (we may actually be exiting the ice age of the past month). :thumbup: Might be time to break out the smoker and smoke some piggie while watching foosball.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
12-26-10, 11:46 AM
This site is FACEBOOK for old-timers who have substituted cooking for racing :laugh: Tonight it's roll out some pizza dough and and make some pies with leftover bits. Pies will include: Ham/pineapple, summer sausage/onion/jalapeno, chicken/tomato/black olive and of course cheese for the people who don't like anything on their pizza :confused: And I'm making a broccoli and cauliflower CASSEROLE for a side dish. :p

Don Quixote
12-26-10, 11:54 AM
This site is FACEBOOK for old-timers who have substituted cooking for racing Speak for yourself old man. If it weren't for this bad back I'd come over there and whoop your ass! :D

dando
12-26-10, 12:52 PM
This site is FACEBOOK for old-timers Sandy Lee....

Fixed. :gomer:

DQ, since you regale me with stories about driving back from Sparty in 1974 (when I was 8, BTW), you qualify. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-27-10, 05:44 PM
buncha geezers on this site

:tony:

Anteater
12-28-10, 04:21 PM
Ham, scalloped spuds and green bean casserole

Same fixin's here, but next year I think I'll go over to manic's for Christmas dinner instead. :cool:

cameraman
12-28-10, 04:25 PM
After much $$$ spent I can now wash the dishes from Christmas dinner...
:flame:

SurfaceUnits
02-03-11, 12:40 PM
the Eurosausage episode of the TV show “Yes Minister,” in which the minister in question is told that under new European rules, the traditional British sausage no longer qualifies as a sausage and must be renamed the Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tube.