PDA

View Full Version : Farewell

Pages : [1] 2

oddlycalm
12-13-10, 06:12 PM
As I get ready to depart this plane of existence I would like to let you all know what a pleasure it has been to have been here. Richard & Missy have created a wonderful environment and deserve some serious gratitude….:thumbup:

As for the rest of you, it’s been great to have some real race to hang with. Since I first went to a road course in 1962 at Waterford Hills (http://www.waterfordhills.com/) I fell in love with spoert car racing and never looked back. The fact they are still racing there makes me happy.

I don't have long (days maybe) and I've probably waited a bit long to post this as the morphine and atavan make typing next to impossible. It's been fun and I've really enjoyed it. My best to all of you :thumbup:

oc

devilmaster
12-13-10, 06:28 PM
OC, i've enjoyed your posts over the years. I don't think we've ever met at a track, but i'm sure we would have had a good time over pints.

So alright then, its not a farewell. We'll see you down the road. Keep a keg of Guinness cellar cool for me. :)

racer2c
12-13-10, 06:29 PM
NOOO! OC, I'm in shock and words are not coming. Please know how much I respect you and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

datachicane
12-13-10, 06:40 PM
A heartfelt farewell to one of my favorite contributors here. This will be a less interesting planet without The Most Interesting Man in the World gracing us with his presence. Rest assured that you're in our thoughts, oc...

Kiwifan
12-13-10, 06:48 PM
Mate, words fail me. I've always had you pegged as a "good bugger" and that will never change. Our thoughts are with you oc.....

Russell.

High Sided
12-13-10, 06:59 PM
OC,
so sorry to hear your struggling so hard right now. i'm at a loss of words on how to respond. you are such a strong contributor to this board and just the thought of your absence brings me sadness. i wish you the very best during your time remaining and surely hope you keep an eye on us from the heavens above.

Sincerely,
Thane

dando
12-13-10, 07:02 PM
Oh ****. This one hit me like the bad news race fans thread. :cry: :cry: :(

EDIT: it's been an honor reading and posting with you. Damn.

-Kevin

mapguy
12-13-10, 07:12 PM
Taildragger, You will be missed. I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Whether it be racing related or not.

Godspeed td.

Cheers,
David

Gnam
12-13-10, 07:40 PM
Off Camber and oddlycalm go together like peas and carrots, like Ferrari and red, like Bonneville and salt, like BE and money...

I feel lucky to have knowed you oc. :thumbup:

:(

Ankf00
12-13-10, 07:52 PM
Thank you for all the invaluable advice these past years and inspiring me to get back on track with my original career aims. You'll be missed.

extramundane
12-13-10, 08:40 PM
Damn. Just...damn.

You've never ceased to amaze, amuse and inform on just about any topic at hand. Godspeed, sir.

RaceGrrl
12-13-10, 08:44 PM
Sir, you will most definitely be missed in these forums, but thank you for allowing your friends here to tell you how important you are to them. We feel fortunate that you joined this little group, and that you've stayed with it through so many changes. Our thoughts are with you and your family. We'll see you someday; at the finish line.

stroker
12-13-10, 08:51 PM
God bless you, OC. It's been a privilege. Wish I'd have had the chance to tip a pint together.

Trevor Longman
12-13-10, 08:55 PM
I don't post here nearly as often as some of the Offcamber legends around here (you included of course) but ever since my Dad introduced me to this forum and all the interesting people here I have always made a point of checking up on the happenings over here. The small group of people here are some of the most intriguing people I have had the pleasure of chatting with. None more than you.

I have always considered you to be representative of that entire community. You've always been the one leading the charge into all the hilarious offbeat discussions we've all enjoyed here (e.g. The infamous weinermobile crash (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15815)) :laugh: You've brightened my day many a time and I can remember on many occasions I've laughed with my dad over something you've said on these forums. :thumbup:

And I think thats what I'll miss the most. The consistent laughs you've provided to me and all the others in our little community. It pains me to say goodbye to someone who has been the source of so much laughter over the years. You've meant so much to everyone here on these forums. Godspeed. I'm sure wherever you go from here will be a better place, an FTG free place. :)

cameraman
12-13-10, 08:56 PM
I'm at a loss for words. I've got "damn it" looping in my head right now. You've been an integral part of Off Camber since the beginning. You will be sorely missed.

Don

TKGAngel
12-13-10, 09:01 PM
Godspeed, oc. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

EDwardo
12-13-10, 09:05 PM
Thank you for your wit and wisdom.

Elmo T
12-13-10, 09:10 PM
Words fail me and they never seem to be enough in these circumstances.

A hug - and not just a bro hug - so consider it done.

I am not one for Bible quotes, but this is appropriate in so many ways:

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

:(

trish
12-13-10, 09:20 PM
God bless you, oc.

Don Quixote
12-13-10, 09:39 PM
Damn, you are on the short list of people that I have never met but I feel like you are my brother. You are also on the list of people that I would like to meet in the hereafter. Thanks for all the great words over the years, the sense of humor, the sage advice on all things from meat smoking to ammunition to tires to bbq sauce and of course philosophy. God bless, and I mean it!

nrc
12-13-10, 09:44 PM
OC, thank you for all that you have contributed to our community here. This place has kept us together in spite of the loss of so many of the people and things that we love, and you have been an important part of it. It has been our pleasure to share this forum with you. Your wit and wisdom have made it a better place than it would have been - or will be - without you. You will be deeply missed.

We wish you peace and comfort.

Methanolandbrats
12-13-10, 10:20 PM
Thanks Man.

TrueBrit
12-13-10, 10:57 PM
I'm gobsmacked...peace..

Brickman
12-13-10, 11:39 PM
With much respect, you are already missed.

Andrew Longman
12-13-10, 11:53 PM
I've been stunned since I saw this earlier this evening.

You have always showed great grace. Nothing was ever about you. You have always been a humble reliable source of wisdom, insight and (at times obscure :)) knowledge. Everyone, it seems, comes away from a chat with you just a little bit better off.

Somehow I bet that's been true your entire life.

I hope more than a little rubbed off on me.

Peace.:thumbup:

Cam
12-13-10, 11:57 PM
Godspeed Jim.

grungex
12-14-10, 12:10 AM
Oh my. Words simply fail me. I wish you peace, you will be sorely missed.

KLang
12-14-10, 12:45 AM
If there is someplace on the other side I'll bet there is great Q.

Good bye Jim, You will be missed.

SteveH
12-14-10, 01:26 AM
Damn.

oc, we are better for having you amongst us. It has been a pleasure and a privilege.

Peace, my friend. Peace.

chop456
12-14-10, 02:13 AM
The best, brightest and funniest. You're the single poster that's taught me the most and made me laugh the hardest. Always something worth reading, which says a lot.

Thank you.

swift
12-14-10, 02:16 AM
Godspeed oc.

TravelGal
12-14-10, 03:30 AM
So I can't stop sobbing (I know you'd hate that), so I'll just say my uninspired "Ditto" to what they said:

Damn, you are on the short list of people that I have never met but I feel like you are my brother. You are also on the list of people that I would like to meet in the hereafter. Thanks for all the great words over the years, the sense of humor, the sage advice on all things from meat smoking to ammunition to tires to bbq sauce and of course philosophy. God bless, and I mean it!

The best, brightest and funniest. You're the single poster that's taught me the most and made me laugh the hardest. Always something worth reading, which says a lot.
Thank you.

Godspeed oc.

Napoleon
12-14-10, 07:16 AM
Taildragger/Oddlycalm/Jim

There is nothing I can say that others haven't said better already, but from reading you over the years I have come to think of you as a friend, and wish you peace and serenity.

Mark

sadams
12-14-10, 09:00 AM
Godspeed Taildragger,

I too have enjoy your commentary on all topics.
You were always the voice of reason.

Steve

tllips
12-14-10, 09:51 AM
Godspeed OC. You will be missed.

We have never met, but I have always looked forward to your words of wit and wisdom. You will truly be missed.

Insomniac
12-14-10, 10:10 AM
That's a stomach punch. :(

My thoughts are with you and your family. As many have said, words can't explain how much you will be missed here.

Opposite Lock
12-14-10, 10:26 AM
I've long been a fan of your wit, and amazed at your breadth of knowledge across so many subjects.

Thank you for all your contributions over the years, oc.

Peace.

opinionated ow
12-14-10, 10:29 AM
Godspeed OC

Corner5
12-14-10, 11:31 AM
You did it your way, you will be missed.

comfort and peace OC.

rosawendel
12-14-10, 12:28 PM
I am again reminded that there are real people behind all these threads. Usually though, we tend to find these things out after the fact. As sad as it is to have seen this one, I feel fortunate that I can say the following:
Thank you for your entertaining and informative posts. Godspeed in peace and comfort.

dando
12-14-10, 12:55 PM
To add a bit of levity to this somber thread, this is how I've always pictured OC:

http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/wilson-wilson.jpg

:)

Godspeed, my friend.

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
12-14-10, 01:28 PM
Very to sorry to hear this and your well thought out posts here will be missed even if I don't come here much anymore.

cameraman
12-14-10, 01:38 PM
+1

That sums it up perfectly.

WickerBill
12-14-10, 01:59 PM
oc.... I'm sorry. :(

G.
12-14-10, 02:08 PM
Jim,

The OffCamber lifecoach. :thumbup: :thumbup:

May you exit this stage the same way you entered OffCamber; oddly calm.

The beer will taste good again.

You've fought hard against the **** that life threw at you.

Buddy, you won. You won.

Hard Driver
12-14-10, 02:37 PM
Every time I saw an Oddlycalm post, I knew it was going to be good, either funny or interesting or informative. Now you had to go and ruin your perfect record, because this post sucks.

Seriously, I only knew you through this forum, but there is going to be a huge hole left here. And your posts show what kind of man you are and the world will be left with a huge hole when you go as well. Good Luck and Godspeed.

ChampcarShark
12-14-10, 03:23 PM
So sad to hear this.

OC, may the grace of God be with you and your family.

You are in my daily prayers.

Al Czervik
12-14-10, 06:26 PM
You will be missed. Peace.

FTG
12-14-10, 06:32 PM
May we all go out with so much peace and grace.

emjaya
12-14-10, 07:09 PM
Can I have your barbecue? (Australian black humour)

Goodbye, mate. I will miss you.

Indy
12-14-10, 09:40 PM
Funny how connections made on a racing forum can so touch our hearts. But they are real, despite this virtual world we use to share thoughts, and I think that speaks to the power of the human spirit, which trumps all physical limitations. Regardless, I can tell you something for sure -- the people of this forum love you very much, and so do I.

We are all going to be right there with you in the blink of an eternal eye, so chill some beer, put some brats on the grill, and tell them to spool up the turbos for us.

JLMannin
12-14-10, 09:46 PM
I don't know what to say.

My mother passed away this summer, and I had the opportunity to share with her how the strength and courage she showed near the end of her life taught us much about how to live.

You have a lot of strength, my friend.

Godspeed!

racermike
12-15-10, 01:15 AM
Wow, I am at a loss for words, but want you to know that everytime we have crossed paths online in the past, that you have always been such an exceptional human being, and have always enjoyed what you have had to say.

I only wish when my time comes, that I can accept my fate as peacefully as you seem to be, but I do know your hurting inside as well as I would be.

I sure hope your able to read this and know that you will truly be missed by all of us gearheads here.

TRDfan
12-15-10, 07:37 AM
OC,

Thank you for all that you've added to this little corner of the digital world.

May God's grace be with you.

Steve

Anteater
12-15-10, 09:00 PM
My dear friend, I'm so shocked and saddened to read your farewell, but am so grateful for the great pleasure of knowing you these past years. Godspeed to you, and may we meet again in a better place.

Racing Truth
12-15-10, 09:26 PM
So, it's been awhile since I've posted here. My racing sensibilities have diverged a bit from the majority of OCers, but I've still been coming here everyday (OC remains in my bookmarks).

But I had to visit when I read this awful news. Like many, I'm guessing, I first read oc/td via the old 7G. And I think that the one thing that everyone can agree on (inc. those of us who never had the privilige of meeting him) is that he truly LIVED, in his own way. As Ank said, his advice and wisdom was second-to-none, something that one can only attain by living a very full, diverse life.

I don't think I'm breaking any rules by simply noting that he was once a self-professed Goldwaterite who came to have decidedly negative views on today's Republican Party. If that makes him an iconoclast or an enigma, well, we should all strive for that.

I say that not out of a specific ideological POV (after all, plenty of people switch from left to right), but because we should all be willing to challenge ourselves and our assumptions in multiple aspects of our lives. Oc clearly did that, which gave him a REAL self-confidence and understanding.

I never met the man. And for that, I am surely worse off.

Godspeed, oc. Your final checkered flag is in the air.:(

Indy
12-15-10, 10:00 PM
Well said, Racing Truth.

Thinking about you again today, OC. Sending love and prayers your way.

Michaelhatesfans
12-15-10, 10:34 PM
First, my thanks to Anteater to calling my attention to this thread.

Second, I feel terrible that I didn't see this until today.

For those of you that never had the pleasure, let me say that Oddlycalm's online persona is no alter ego. The depth in intellect, humor, and life experience that you see in his posts are obvious characteristics that you see from the moment you meet him.

Sadly I can't say that I knew him well, I only met him a few times and had a few conversations on the phone, and now I'm kicking myself that it wasn't more. We tend to see life as a big wheel that spins in front of us, and we think that if we don't grab something when it comes by, we'll just get it the next time around. Sadly it doesn't always work out that way.

Jim, we'll continue to enjoy the Audi that at ten years old still looked like it had just rolled off of the showroom floor. I can't say that it's as well looked after as when you had it, but my family has had so many great trips and memories in it, that I'm sure that you would forgive the lack of trips to the detail shop;). On the upside, those little surface scratches on the top of the bumper that bothered you so much? Well, some punk kid bumped into the back of me last summer, so I was able to have that painted - I thought of you!

When Susan called, I had a bad feeling that it was about you. I'm not sure if this arrives too late, but for my own piece of mind, I wanted to pass this note along, just in case. You will be horribly missed, but at the same time, I know what a great effect you had on everyone around you - either in person or online.

I'm extremely grateful that we were able to meet up, albiet briefly. I'm extremely grateful for your insights, your humor, your wisdom, and your varied life experiences that you were willing to share without a hint of boastfulness. Funny, I always took great pride that you live here in Portland, a kind of warped perspective for the rest of the world that everyone here is as cool as you are. You really carried the curve, and it looks like we'll have to pick up our game a bit now.

I mean this with all sincerity when I say that I have felt honored to know you.

Your friend,

Brian

cartcanuck
12-15-10, 11:40 PM
Cheers! to an old 7thGear'ite.

May sleep come easy,
May comfort be yours,
May peace rest deep within your soul,
Eternity is yours.

Farewell to one of the guys who first inspired me to start posting on a CART/Champ Car racing forum to start with.

No tears.

Just a big :thumbup: to you. And regrets for never meeting you face to face.

Anteater
12-16-10, 12:58 AM
Jim, we'll continue to enjoy the Audi that at ten years old still looked like it had just rolled off of the showroom floor. I can't say that it's as well looked after as when you had it, but my family has had so many great trips and memories in it, that I'm sure that you would forgive the lack of trips to the detail shop;).

Oh, the Audi! Memories of a September day come flooding back, when Oddlycalm drove me and a friend through the Willamette wine country in that car. We had such a delightful time! Thank you for that memory.

Words still fail me in the face of your news, OC, but I’m thankful that you posted your farewell to the forum. The words you once posted on a similar occasion are so apt:
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=70696&postcount=53

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers…

JoeBob
12-16-10, 11:33 AM
Godspeed, my friend...

pchall
12-16-10, 03:29 PM
Farewell, old friend. :(

Kahauna Dreamer
12-16-10, 10:48 PM
aloha

RusH
12-16-10, 10:55 PM
God bless OC, wherever you are going, we`ll be there someday.

Dougrun
12-17-10, 06:56 PM
I havent posted here in years maybe, but when one of ours departs, it affects us all. Heres to you and to all the others we dont hear about that have made a difference in someone elses life. Thats the real reason any of us are here.

DjDrOmusic
12-18-10, 01:10 AM
Peace....

JohnHKart
12-18-10, 06:38 PM
Goodbye OC, I am sad to hear this news. I have enjoyed your posts. Thank you for the memories and all the best to you.

dando
12-18-10, 07:12 PM

Cam
12-18-10, 07:56 PM
Not him.

TravelGal
12-18-10, 08:04 PM
deleted as Cam says it's not him.

dst
12-19-10, 03:58 AM
aah..........damn.

Easy
12-20-10, 05:31 PM
Didn't see this until today. Godspeed to you.

pineapple
12-20-10, 10:48 PM
Peace and farewell.

BigIrlFan
12-21-10, 11:22 AM
IT's bEiN GRate

WickerBill
12-28-10, 10:39 AM
Can't stop thinking about oc during this festive season.

racer2c
12-28-10, 10:51 AM

Yep. For someone I never met in person, it has really stayed with me. My thoughts go to his family.

Don Quixote
12-28-10, 11:04 AM
Same here. Peace to him and his family.

TravelGal
12-28-10, 02:38 PM

Yep. For someone I never met in person, it has really stayed with me. My thoughts go to his family.

Yes, same here. He always had so much to say, even when just making a joke. He shared so much with us. Yet, when I think of him, I myself feel oddly calm, so I hope he is at peace now.

dando
12-28-10, 02:56 PM
Amen.

-Kevin

Anteater
12-28-10, 04:30 PM

Yes--even in the midst of Christmas joy, I kept wondering: has oddlycalm's suffering ended; is he finally at peace? How is his family? I half-expected to see a witty comment from him in the Christmas food thread until reality came back. :(

cameraman
12-28-10, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know him or his family who might have the answer to those questions?

devilmaster
12-28-10, 04:40 PM
I had been holding off on this post as I didn't want to jump the gun.... through a whole bunch of pm's with him and the bosses, we have his personal info, and we had been waiting for an orbit, but since he's not been here, we can unfortunately start this conversation....

devilmaster
12-28-10, 04:50 PM
He's never mentioned it himself, so its prob not my place, but it is probably cancer, which I think has been multiple attacks. There is a reference to jim having to use oxygen for a couple years.....

The last email exchange with him asked for a photo I could post. He responded that he would send one shortly. Sadly I have had no response sinve then.

There is no info that he has passed yet. Its believed that he may be debilitated, ergo no more posting.

We(bosses, me a few others) have discussed a donation to charity of xhoice if there is an obit, and another member here has offered to personally deliver anything as he lives close by.

We were waiting for word... but this is prob the time to ask.... So the question is open to the gang.....

dando
12-28-10, 04:58 PM
We(bosses, me a few others) have discussed a donation to charity of xhoice if there is an obit, and another member here has offered to personally deliver anything as he lives close by.

We were waiting for word... but this is prob the time to ask.... So the question is open to the gang.....

Indeed...which is why I erroneously posted what I thought might be his obit last week. I checked Oregon Live again today and found nothing that would lead me to believe Jim had passed. For those in the know, please let us know. I definitely want to contribute to payback what Jim provided us over the years.

FYI, he was still kicking it around here on 12/17 according to his profile 411.

-Kevin

devilmaster
12-28-10, 05:08 PM
Indeed...which is why I erroneously posted what I thought might be his obit last week. I checked Oregon Live again today and found nothing that would lead me to believe Jim had passed. For those in the know, please let us know. I definitely want to contribute to payback what Jim provided us over the years.

-Kevin

A few of us are checking then. afaik, I'm sure we'll know when it happens. :(

WB had made a good point that it could be some time before we get word. Jim had said himself the pain made it impossible to surf the web.... and he had said to me he didn't expext to make it past xmas... but he may hold on for some time before he succumbs.

Anteater
12-28-10, 05:12 PM

racer2c
12-28-10, 05:12 PM
He's never mentioned it himself, so its prob not my place, but it is probably cancer, which I think has been multiple attacks. There is a reference to jim having to use oxygen for a couple years.....

The last email exchange with him asked for a photo I could post. He responded that he would send one shortly. Sadly I have had no response sinve then.

There is no info that he has passed yet. Its believed that he may be debilitated, ergo no more posting.

Didnt he mention that he had cancer in a post in '04?

devilmaster
12-28-10, 05:15 PM

Perhaps, I don't know.

I have good info that it is cancer, and he's faced it multiple times, but thatt info is not 100% confirmed to my satisfaction.

dando
12-28-10, 05:22 PM

He posted that his son was diagnosed with COPD a couple of years ago, and inferred that he had a similar (if not the same) condition. Someone also posted a link in the oc thread to a post where he mentioned running into a PITA owner of a gym he once used where he said he had had cancer three times since they had last met (which left her speechless), and joked that he was married to the 19-yo daughter of a neighbor that was with him @ the time. I wasn't sure if he was 100% serious, half serious or making it up (especially after I spit beer on my screen after reading the post). Not sure if that deserves a :D or :( or :cry:. :\

-Kevin

devilmaster
12-28-10, 05:30 PM
Obviously, I don't want to speak for the bosses, so I will defer to them when they arrive.

Our PM's came to the mutual agreement that we don't don't want to make a situation worse... and so we have waited for official word. So ill leave that part of the conversation there.

I'm in to chip in for the usual stuff when you read an obit, and so I'm more comfortable talking about that going forward - any ideas the gang has......

cameraman
12-28-10, 05:43 PM
The meds he talked of are a classic cancer hospice pairing. As long as people have the info, I just don't feel right leaving things to just a thread.

Don Quixote
12-28-10, 05:44 PM
Hole in the wall camp is a good one, and I know we have done it in the past. We should try to find out what he wants.

dando
12-28-10, 05:44 PM
any ideas the gang has......

Depends on the request in the obit, but Hole in the Wall, Jimmy V or Live Strong would be my initial suggestions.

-Kevin

TravelGal
12-28-10, 06:01 PM

I am absolutely positive that I read that he once wrote that he had beaten it back five times. I've looked for that intermittently but can't seem to put my hand on it. Maybe he thought the better of it and replaced it with a "."

In fact, until the thread on his best posts, which contained his answer to how we chose our screen names, I thought that was the somewhat ironic reason his name was "oddlycalm." The aforementioned quote about 3 times was from several years back.

I'm in for anything the group decides. Hole in the Wall, Jimmy V, Live Strong, they all resonate.

Ankf00
12-28-10, 07:39 PM
it is his heart. side-effects of a chemo drug, no longer available for good reason, he was prescribed back in the day. there was a heart attack a few years ago, and now, well... :\

G.
12-29-10, 02:49 AM
I can confirm some of the posts here, he has beaten cancer several times (and was cancer-free, AFAIK), but the chemo trashed his lungs (hence the oxygen tanks) and heart.

I too am thinking of him a lot these past few weeks. I dearly hope he is comfortable.

I'm watching this thread closely ( :( ), so please let us know any news. I'm in for a memorial donation.

dando
12-30-10, 12:31 PM
DQ spotted this on OregonLive:

http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/oregon/guestbook.aspx?n=payson-fleming&pid=147489726&cid=full

Fleming, Payson James 'Jim' 78 3/3/1932 12/25/2010 Payson James Fleming, 78, a resident of the Gladstone community, died Dec. 25, 2010, at his home surrounded by his family, following a courageous battle with cancer.

-Kevin

Napoleon
12-30-10, 12:50 PM
Never mind!

nrc
12-30-10, 01:14 PM
No, that's not OC.

KLang
12-30-10, 01:28 PM
Wrong last name and I don't think he was that old either.