PDA

View Full Version : Why....

cameraman
12-11-10, 02:34 AM
Why did my roof choose today to start to leak? It's been snowing and raining and all sorts of wetness has been going on and all has been fine. All of a sudden and for no good reason (beyond the geriatric condition of the roof) I have water dripping into a bucket as I type this. To top it off the bit that is leaking is in the best condition of the entire roof.

The roof needs a full tear off and re-decking and you can't do that in Utah in December, not that I really can afford it at the moment anyway...

****:flame:

SurfaceUnits
12-11-10, 03:35 AM
you can\'t do that in Utah in December....

and it doesn\'t need it in the summer

oddlycalm
12-11-10, 04:45 AM
Sorry to hear it. That sucks.

oc

racer2c
12-11-10, 11:29 AM
Ugh! I hate leaking roofs. I've dealt with one this past year myself. I was able to fend it off for a few weeks until the roofers could make it out by getting up there and using roof tar (from a caulk tube/gun) to fill some of the splits shingles. Is yours a shingle roof? Do you know if there is damage from a high wind storm? I had that happen at my last house.

Methanolandbrats
12-11-10, 12:13 PM
Do you rake the snow off your roof back past the soffit? Do you have ice dam problems? You many have water backing up under the ice dam and finding a way into your house. If so, the solution is a roof rake and some quality time on a ladder with a hammer and chisel.

If it's not ice dams, you can roof in the winter. It sucks, but it can be done.

Don Quixote
12-11-10, 01:44 PM
It sucks, but it can be done.Just to clarify, roofing sucks in the summer also, and in the spring and fall. It is a year round suckage. :gomer:

TravelGal
12-11-10, 01:49 PM
My condolences. We just had a roofer here for a couple of days this week ripping, repairing, redoing in hopes that we can get another 5 yrs or so out of the entire roof. Lots of goop removed from around the fireplace and air conditioner base. Apparently the first guys thought the more layers of shingles and goo the better, which only worked for so long.

I sympathize. I've been in the 'water pouring through the ceiling onto the couch' scenario and I wasn't amused. Not one bit. :mad:

cameraman
12-11-10, 03:44 PM
The leak is at the top corner of a skylight.
The question "why" was of a metaphysical nature.

The only "good" thing, actually very, very good thing was the water came down in a very narrow stream directly in the center of a little open spot framed by an eight month old MacPro, a Xerox Phaser, a very large APC backup and a stack of eSATA drives. Right down the center, not a drop on any of the gear:eek:

So is that bad luck with very good karma or bad karma with ample good luck?

Gnam
12-11-10, 03:49 PM
The question "why" was of a metaphysical nature. So is that bad luck with very good karma or bad karma with ample good luck?

Do any of the water stains look like Jesus? ;)

Methanolandbrats
12-11-10, 04:50 PM
The leak is at the top corner of a skylight.
The question "why" was of a metaphysical nature.

The only "good" thing, actually very, very good thing was the water came down in a very narrow stream directly in the center of a little open spot framed by an eight month old MacPro, a Xerox Phaser, a very large APC backup and a stack of eSATA drives. Right down the center, not a drop on any of the gear:eek:

So is that bad luck with very good karma or bad karma with ample good luck?

Get up there with some BlackJack and seal the flashing.

WickerBill
12-11-10, 04:57 PM
You could also just have some bent flashing, perhaps from ice getting under it, and the flashing is redirecting water opposite where it should. It's all about what you find when you get up there...

cameraman
12-11-10, 07:00 PM
Looks like a cracked shingle just uphill from the skylight. It is supposed to be clear & dry for the next few days, I'll let things dry out and then seal every possible in sight on Tuesday. At least this house has relatively friendly roof pitches, my previous place had a 12:12 hip roof that started 24' up:eek:

Mebbe I'll start getting quotes on the whole job too. Ah the joys of a "new" house. I counted five different ages of roofing up there. Wildly different thicknesses too, from one layer to four+ (!?!). Suspect/stupid flashing everywhere (except that skylight which has factory flashing in perfect shape give or take the whole leaking thing:saywhat:) The oldest part seems to have many layers of asphalt shingles laid down on top of the original (1880's) skip sheathing:irked: Guess decking it would have cost more:shakehead but then again they did manage to get 70+ years out of it. Better lucky than good I suppose.

emjaya
12-11-10, 07:32 PM
Next time you are balanced precariously on the roof, take a couple of photo's for me.

We don't have shingles over here, just concrete tiles or corrugated iron sheets and it sounds interesting.

TravelGal
12-11-10, 08:43 PM
Next time you are balanced precariously on the roof, take a couple of photo's for me.

We don't have shingles over here,

At least you don't need the vaccine.
badda bing. Can't never stay serious for long. :D

cameraman
12-11-10, 08:44 PM
Concrete roof tiles would probably flatten my house:rolleyes:. If I can afford it I'd like to put a standing seam metal roof up there but I'm thinking that it would cost far more than the highest end asphalt shingle installation. American home construction tends towards the quick and cheap especially when compared to that of the rest of the western world. Personally I draw the line at vinyl. No part of any home I own will be made out of vinyl. That and hollow-core doors. And Pergo.....

cameraman
12-11-10, 08:46 PM
badda bing. Can't never stay serious for long. :D

That crossed my mind but I resisted the temptation:rofl:

High Sided
12-11-10, 10:09 PM
you can get 45+yr shingles now, i have 35yr with copper valleys and flashings. pay a few pennies more and use 30lb basefelt vs the standard 15lb. your roof is only as good as your flashings so stay away from anyone that uses roof cement (tar)!

G.
12-11-10, 10:26 PM
Do any of the water stains look like Jesus? ;)

:laugh::rofl::laugh:

Methanolandbrats
12-11-10, 11:35 PM
Concrete roof tiles would probably flatten my house:rolleyes:. If I can afford it I'd like to put a standing seam metal roof up there but I'm thinking that it would cost far more than the highest end asphalt shingle installation. American home construction tends towards the quick and cheap especially when compared to that of the rest of the western world. Personally I draw the line at vinyl. No part of any home I own will be made out of vinyl. That and hollow-core doors. And Pergo.....

Metal about 3 times the cost of shingles.

TKGAngel
12-12-10, 12:00 AM

Now you tell me there's a vaccine after I get them! :)

extramundane
12-12-10, 12:56 AM
Metal about 3 times the cost of shingles.

And, at least around here, metal sinks property value because nitwits want shingles or nothing. :irked:

cameraman
12-12-10, 04:41 AM
Nitwits to be sure:shakehead

High Sided
12-12-10, 04:53 AM
howze about metal shingles?

http://www.custombiltmetals.com/products-shingles-vail-select.php

cameraman
12-12-10, 01:36 PM
That's just cruel, sending me to a site where they sell natural copper standing seam roofing.

And gutters too.

So, so cruel...

TravelGal
12-12-10, 03:27 PM
At least it's not the Minneapolis Metrodome roof. :shakehead