PDA

View Full Version : Any golfers here?

G.
12-08-10, 12:24 AM
Is something like this worthwhile (http://www.golfbuddyglobal.com/)? (GPS course layout and range estimater)

I'm looking for a gift for a golfer.

Are these useful for the game?

Is this a good one?

I was looking at laser rangefinders and saw that they had GPS units. Looks cool if it A). has a purpose and 2). is any good.

TIA

Ed_Severson
12-08-10, 12:42 AM
I can't tell you anything about this particular device, but in general these things are somewhat helpful.

My dad has one called Sky Caddie (priced similarly); I have an app on my iPhone. Either way, they're most helpful when you're playing an unfamiliar course. Having driving distances to carry hazards and being able to see placement of bunkers etc. that may be blind from your lie is helpful. My experience with them is that they're generally good to no more than 5 yards. One drawback is that yardages to the green will be to the center, and if you're playing a course that doesn't give you pin locations you can play to the center of the green for safety but find out you should have hit a different club to get it close.

I find I don't use mine much on courses I play frequently, simply because I know where everything is and how accurate the on-course yardage markers are. But every now and then I end up somewhere I've never hit it before, and then it comes in handy.

Just saw that you're buying this for someone else, not for yourself. I'd say that if the person you have in mind plays at least 30 rounds a year then it's probably justifiable if it's in your price range. If they don't play that frequently you're spending a lot of money on something that will only save them a couple strokes per round in all likelihood -- you should just buy them a putting lesson or two instead.