PDA

View Full Version : Kindle For Android

devilmaster
12-07-10, 01:35 AM
So I know its been mentioned by a few people already, but I've had a chance now to dload kindle for android and started going through the amazon kindle shopping list....

And wow. :eek: Goodbye Angry Birds, I think I now have a new love.

On the home page of kindle's shop, there is a link for Free Classics. All these cost nothing from amazon. Here's a smattering of their top 50 in this list. (and the list -isn't- limited to 50.)

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Christmas Carol
Dracula
Treasure Island
Gulliver's Travels
Legend of King Arthur and His Knights
Legend of Sleepy Hollow
The Odyssey
The Illiad
Oliver Twist
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Frankenstein
Phantom Of The Opera
Crime and Punishment
Beauty and The Beast
The Jungle Book
Anna Karenina
Midsummer Nights Dream
White Fang
Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
The Prince
The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci Complete
The Religion of the Samurai
The Communist Manifesto
Ethics
Civil Disobedience
The Invisible Man
Island of Doctor Moreau
Life on The Mississippi
Last of the Mohicans
The Man Who would be King
The Misterious Island

So later! Off to re-read some old stories and a few new ones to boot. :)

G.
12-07-10, 02:15 AM
don't forget that you can do the same with your computer, and you can sync it up to continue where you left off on the other device, transfer highlighting between devices, etc.

TrueBrit
12-07-10, 11:04 AM
Love my Kindle. On the fone too.

Don Quixote
12-07-10, 11:12 AM
[old man mode] I refuse to be assimilated, and I like the feel of paper in my hands. After the EMP goes off I will still have my books. You folks will have to live in the woods like the book people in Fahrenheit 451.

KLang
12-07-10, 01:49 PM
I was very skeptical when I first got a Kindle. Love it now. :cool:

My wife has an iPad but she still has a Kindle for the beach.

G.
12-07-10, 02:44 PM
[old man mode] I refuse to be assimilated, and I like the feel of paper in my hands. After the EMP goes off I will still have my books. You folks will have to live in the woods like the book people in Fahrenheit 451.

http://lolsnaps.com/upload_images/real/776.png

:p

Don Quixote
12-07-10, 09:09 PM
^^ I could be convinced that is real.

dando
12-07-10, 10:21 PM
You folks will have to live in the woods like the book people in Fahrenheit 451.

Yeah, but you'll be on the front lines fighting back the invasion.

Wolverine!

[/Red Dawn]

:gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-08-10, 12:14 AM
Pretty :cool:, but one word: battery. :irked:

-Kevin

devilmaster
12-08-10, 12:26 AM
Seems to be doing ok on my phone battery wise. Prob no bigger drain than any game or surfing.

TravelGal
12-08-10, 03:43 AM
LOL @ lib rar y. TravelGuy gets about 10 books a week at our local branch. Easily saved us more than $1,000 a year when it opened. I asked him about a Kindle but he wasn't interested. I figure not this year but next I'll buy him one anyway. ;) Tablet that is, not for the 'droid.

WickerBill
12-08-10, 08:19 AM
That's just the thing, TGal, Amazon has a Kindle app for every device out there, where Apple is doing the same damn thing they did with music for years -- making books in a semi-proprietary format that only works on their devices. Last year Apple finally started selling unencrypted music, but still in an Apple format, making it a tedious task to turn the files into MP3s so they can be played on other devices.

So, everyone, boycott iBooks until they dump the Apple-only format! Pitchforks and torches!

Meh, probably not that important. Just annoys me.

Napoleon
12-08-10, 08:44 AM
[old man mode] I refuse to be assimilated, and I like the feel of paper in my hands.

I am with you on that.

Plus a question for those of you who use Kindle like devices. I know if I take my lap top outside to use while sitting in a lawn chair it is often very hard to read. Since much of my summer reading is outside in the sun do those readers have that same issue?

KLang
12-08-10, 08:47 AM
Pretty :cool:, but one word: battery. :irked:

-Kevin

Battery on a Kindle or a phone? I read a couple hours a day and the charge on my latest generation Kindle lasts a couple weeks. No idea how the apps effect phone battery power. Phone is too small to read on for long in my opinion. I've done it for a few minutes waiting at the carwash or barber but that is all.

KLang
12-08-10, 08:50 AM
I am with you on that.

Plus a question for those of you who use Kindle like devices. I know if I take my lap top outside to use while sitting in a lawn chair it is often very hard to read. Since much of my summer reading is outside in the sun do those readers have that same issue?

The E Ink displays on the Kindle and Nook work great outdoors. That was what I meant with my comment about my wifes iPad. LCD's are mostly unreadable in the sunlight.

Methanolandbrats
12-08-10, 09:40 AM
Can ya read newspapers on the innerwebs with a Kindle?

Don Quixote
12-08-10, 09:48 AM
Can ya read newspapers on the innerwebs with a Kindle?What is a newspaper? :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
12-08-10, 10:02 AM
What is a newspaper? :gomer:

A lump of woodpulp they used to throw at peoples houses everyday. It was the only way to make sure the current lies were well distributed until the innerweb came along. I cancelled my woodpulp long ago and read the lies online, wondering if I can go mobil....

KLang
12-08-10, 10:05 AM

You can subscribe to Newspapers and Magazines for the Kindle. Pictures would not look very good though. If I were wanting that content I think I would use an iPad or other tablet.

dando
12-08-10, 10:12 AM
Battery on a Kindle or a phone?

Phone. The iPad and Kindles have decent battery length from what I've seen. If I play Angry Birds on my Android for an hour or so, half the battery gets drained. :irked: I'm sure reading a b&w book won't have the same affect, tho.

-Kevin

dando
12-08-10, 10:15 AM

Major papers like the NY Times, WSJ, Washington Post, SF Chronic, USA Today, etc. are available via the Kindle. But who needs a paper when you have the OC? :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-08-10, 10:16 AM
[old man mode] I refuse to be assimilated, and I like the feel of paper in my hands.

Yer just afraid you'd wipe yer ass with your phone. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

devilmaster
12-08-10, 01:00 PM
Phone. The iPad and Kindles have decent battery length from what I've seen. If I play Angry Birds on my Android for an hour or so, half the battery gets drained. :irked: I'm sure reading a b&w book won't have the same affect, tho.

-Kevin

Kindle is definitely better than angry birds on the battery. Noticed that right away...

TrueBrit
12-08-10, 02:32 PM
Reading in full sunshine no worries, battery lasts forever, Amaxon backs up all of your purchases so as long as they are not impacted by the same EMP you will still be able to get your books...

oddlycalm
12-08-10, 07:11 PM
Best thing about the kindle is travel, hospital stay, etc. where you can have hundreds of titles stored. If you don't use the 3G connection the batteries will last weeks. We have a 1st gen, 2nd gen and both have been solid.

I agree on photographic content though, the iPad is the way to go. I also like it in front of the TV while I'm watching to look up IMDB references. :thumbup:

oc