PDA

View Full Version : Turbos anyone?

mueber
12-04-10, 06:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm

devilmaster
12-04-10, 06:53 PM
although I agree with him on the point, anything that bernie doesn't like is probably ok by me..... ;)

Methanolandbrats
12-04-10, 07:06 PM
Seeing the words "wasteful with resources" and "greenhouse gases" in an article about F1 makes me want to puke. Dust off the V10s and turn up to 22k revs and 900 HP.

Indy
12-04-10, 08:22 PM
Now that it is the offseason and I am no longer wrapped up in the enjoyment of the championship, I find the whole thing to be increasingly silly. Seriously, why should I be excited about Formula Prius? What does it have to do with racing?

I can see it working if they had simple restrictions, like restricted fuel flow and capacity, but then left the engine specs wide open to encourage innovation. But, given the many restrictions that are already in place, plus these and no doubt more to come, this series is looking more and more like the IRL.

You want to know the sad thing? If CART had somehow made it, this would not be possible. Or if F1 were foolish enough to do this, CART would have become the true world championship.

racer2c
12-04-10, 09:35 PM
Seeing the words "wasteful with resources" and "greenhouse gases" in an article about F1 makes me want to puke. Dust off the V10s and turn up to 22k revs and 900 HP.

:thumbup:

opinionated ow
12-05-10, 03:02 AM
This sustainability bs has gone on too long.

Insomniac
12-05-10, 01:21 PM
I don't think it's a big deal to go "green". The cars keep getting faster overall at the end of the day.

I do think the way they go about change is dumb. It's time they did something different in my opinion. They need more options, not less. If they want to regulate fuel flow, then provide a fixed amount of fuel for a race and let teams build whatever engine they want. If they want to make use of electricity, then offer a formula that trades engine capacity for battery capacity and let the teams find a balance.

Let's see some design competition. (And simplify the aero!)

stroker
12-05-10, 09:56 PM
(And simplify the aero!)

BAN the aero. Get rid of it all, wings, tunnels, everything. The whole aero thing has turned racing into nothing more than an exercise in balancing downforce/drag and hp/expense.

mueber
12-06-10, 12:51 PM
Most of it's fine with me.

This part I hate:

"a series of checks and balances have been written into the regulations...to ensure it should be impossible for one manufacturer to steal a march on the others in terms of performance."

If I wanted NASCAR, I'd watch NASCAR.

Methanolandbrats
12-06-10, 01:32 PM
Most of it's fine with me.

This part I hate:

"a series of checks and balances have been written into the regulations...to ensure it should be impossible for one manufacturer to steal a march on the others in terms of performance."

If I wanted NASCAR, I'd watch NASCAR.

That is disturbing. I don't care if a team finds something that makes them 5 seconds a lap faster. It's up to the other teams to catch up.

NismoZ
12-06-10, 05:45 PM
Yeah? Well I liked it when a team finding a few seconds on the competition could give credit to the fact they had a better DRIVER!:irked:

Steve99
12-06-10, 05:59 PM
Dust off the V10s and turn up to 22k revs and 900 HP.
Only Ferrari gets to do that. Everyone else will get to have 1.6-litre four-cylinders. ;)

emjaya
12-22-10, 06:42 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9307861.stm

Formula 1 cars are set for more radical changes in time for 2013 as bosses look to make the sport more efficient and potentially more exciting.

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

Wha?

SteveH
12-22-10, 07:42 AM
Wha?

this

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

I can't imagine the percentage will be that high, but I like the concept. Reduce the downforce, require less speed on entry, lower speeds within the turns, slower exit speeds.

Of course, it will never happen that way. ;)

Methanolandbrats
12-22-10, 10:01 AM
When they yaw they will turn into frisbees. This was already tried during the ground effects era.

Cam
12-22-10, 10:26 AM
To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels.

So can we wear skirts again?

STD
12-22-10, 10:42 AM
Doubtful, not even kilts.

stroker
12-22-10, 02:14 PM
Cigars are the solution.

cameraman
12-22-10, 02:39 PM
When they yaw they will turn into frisbees. This was already tried during the ground effects era.

They'll just mandate the fins like LMS. Or have they already:confused:

Indy
12-23-10, 01:20 AM
/Rant On

Do you remember when racing circuits were high speed, scary, and very, very exciting? Funny thing about that high percentage of full throttle at a track -- it limited downforce naturally without requiring silly rules. Old Monza, old Hockenheim, old Spa, old Nurburgring, these tracks were exciting because they were not modern, chicane filled, slower than **** "technical" tracks.

Maybe the problem is that FIA guys whose business it is to write silly rules like their job security.

/Rant off

Insomniac
12-23-10, 12:32 PM
/Rant On

Do you remember when racing circuits were high speed, scary, and very, very exciting? Funny thing about that high percentage of full throttle at a track -- it limited downforce naturally without requiring silly rules. Old Monza, old Hockenheim, old Spa, old Nurburgring, these tracks were exciting because they were not modern, chicane filled, slower than **** "technical" tracks.

Maybe the problem is that FIA guys whose business it is to write silly rules like their job security.

/Rant off

Or the GPDA insisting on safer courses because of high cornering speeds? They responded by altering tracks instead of changing rules to reduce cornering speeds?

pchall
12-31-10, 07:16 AM
So can we wear skirts again?

Only if you go commando.

TrueBrit
12-31-10, 02:18 PM

You know, it's no secret that I am a screaming leftist greenie, but one thing that drives me nuts is that F-1 uses less fuel in an entire season than a 747 uses carrying Al Gore's lard arse between London and Kyoto one-way.

Methanolandbrats
12-31-10, 04:49 PM
You know, it's no secret that I am a screaming leftist greenie, but one thing that drives me nuts is that F-1 uses less fuel in an entire season than a 747 uses carrying Al Gore's lard arse between London and Kyoto one-way.

Correct. F1 is entertainment and their fuel use has no impact on Global anything.