PDA

View Full Version : Kate and Bill

Methanolandbrats
11-19-10, 12:49 PM
Do the British Taxpayers have to foot the bill for the big day?

chop456
11-19-10, 01:21 PM
You suck. I thought this was going to be news about Clinton and that hosebag with 20 kids.

Gnam
11-19-10, 01:59 PM
:laugh: I feel her pain. [/bubba]

How much could a royal wedding cost? They already own the church and castle. Throw a couple shrimp on the bar-be and call it a day. :p

Don Quixote
11-19-10, 02:17 PM
How much could a royal wedding cost? It adds up. For example, renting unicorns to pull the carriage is a big cost item.

TrueBrit
11-19-10, 03:35 PM
I heard an estimate of $75 million quid. ($120 in US Monopoly money)...At the moment it will come out of the public coffers..but I'm sure Liz will kick in a few quid to soften the blow...maybe buy the first round down the boozer?

opinionated ow
11-19-10, 04:19 PM
According to our news last night, Aunty Lizzy was going to pay for it to the tune of something like 60 million pounds.

datachicane
11-19-10, 11:45 PM
It adds up. For example, renting unicorns to pull the carriage is a big cost item.

They can recoup some of that by BBQing the unicorns for the reception dinner.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/other/canned_unicorn_meat_zoom.jpg

emjaya
11-20-10, 12:45 AM
The real money is in the TV right's and the merchandising. :gomer:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50005000/jpg/_50005009_williamkatemug.jpg

FTG
11-20-10, 12:05 PM
How else are you going to get tourists to go to a godforsaken piece of rock where it rains 385 days a year?

opinionated ow
11-20-10, 05:39 PM
How else are you going to get tourists to go to a godforsaken piece of rock where it rains 385 days a year?

I know the poms are backward but I had no idea that it was as much as 20 days a year!

Gnam
11-23-10, 01:25 PM
Date set for Friday, April 29. (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3241841/Kate-and-Williams-wedding-date-revealed-as-Friday-April-29-2011.html#ixzz167uMP0sY)

Downing Street announced today workers WILL get an extra day off for the nuptials, which will follow the Easter Monday Bank Holiday on April 25.

Let the countdown begin...

TrueBrit
11-23-10, 04:48 PM

I'm sorry, but I take affront to that comment. It completely neglects the fact that the rain is nice and warm during the summer months...

Don Quixote
11-23-10, 05:14 PM
I'm sorry, but I take affront to that comment. It completely neglects the fact that the rain is nice and warm during the summer months... And it saves on laundry and bathing costs.

opinionated ow
11-23-10, 05:15 PM
I wonder if we can have it too. He's our future head of state also. That'd give us the 22nd (Good Friday), 23rd (Easter Saturday), 25th (ANZAC Day), 26th (Easter Tuesday) and then the 29th (royal Wedding0. :D

Gnam
04-18-11, 04:50 PM
T-minus 11 days

:goose bumps: :p

stroker
04-18-11, 05:58 PM
Unless somebody's got naked pictures of her put me in the WGAF column.

TKGAngel
04-18-11, 06:33 PM
T-Mobile's satire ad focusing on the big day. :D

Kav0FEhtLug

chop456
04-19-11, 01:38 AM
Bank holidays on 4/25, 4/29 and 5/2. Who do they think they are, Spain or Italy?

Slackers.

If/when they get divorced, the whole country should have to work 2 7-day weeks. :D

IlliniRacer
04-21-11, 09:24 PM
I'm assuming this will be the standard mostacholi and roast beef in the chaffing dishes Wedding Reception while the DJ blast "Proud Mary" and "Old Time Rock n Roll" as drunk overweight white people act like they can dance.

devilmaster
04-21-11, 10:02 PM
You suck. I thought this was going to be news about Clinton and that hosebag with 20 kids.

Ummmmm..... Why would you:

Think that.
Be interested in hearing about that.
Give me a damn visual that I can't get out of my freakin head!

Methanolandbrats
04-21-11, 10:16 PM
The new first bitch is cute in a girl nice next door bend over kind of way. THe prince is an epic douche just like daddy. the queen.......does that old nazi bitch ever smile? Why do the English people/guvmint suppost this **** during austere times?

opinionated ow
04-21-11, 10:41 PM
The new first bitch is cute in a girl nice next door bend over kind of way. THe prince is an epic douche just like daddy. the queen.......does that old nazi bitch ever smile? Why do the English people/guvmint suppost this **** during austere times?

Spoken like a true American...

Methanolandbrats
04-21-11, 11:15 PM
Spoken like a true American...

We kicked those inbred parasites out of here a couple of centuries ago :rofl:

TravelGal
04-28-11, 01:50 PM
So the urgent question of the day is, which channel has the least irritating hosts? That is, which one should I tape to see all the festivities and avoid the worst of the ingratiating voiceovers?

Gnam
04-28-11, 02:04 PM
Is Speed covering the ceremony?

Ankf00
04-28-11, 02:18 PM
Bank holidays on 4/25, 4/29 and 5/2. Who do they think they are, Spain or Italy?

:rofl:

dando
04-28-11, 02:19 PM
So the urgent question of the day is, which channel has the least irritating hosts? That is, which one should I tape to see all the festivities and avoid the worst of the ingratiating voiceovers?

D none of the above. :saywhat: When I watch the AM 'news' shows, I tend to watch the Today Show. Although the past two weeks have been unbearable due to the build to the wedding. :irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
04-28-11, 02:35 PM
Rumor has it that this thing may destroy youtube:rolleyes:

It is estimated that over 2 billion people will watch the royal wedding on television, a further 400 million viewers are expected to watch the event live on YouTube, and yet more will watch live internet streams provided by broadcasters like the BBC and CNN.

William and Kate's Royal Wedding Will Require 800,000,000Mbps of Bandwidth and Break the Internet (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2384565,00.asp)

TravelGal
04-28-11, 03:01 PM
D none of the above. :saywhat: When I watch the AM 'news' shows, I tend to watch the Today Show. Although the past two weeks have been unbearable due to the build to the wedding. :irked:

-Kevin

"Unbearable" was my thought. I think I'm going with BBC America with a back up of our local KCET, which will be BBC World News. This is why G-d created the mute button.

Failing that, I plan to join in breaking the internet. :D

G.
04-28-11, 04:31 PM
Is Speed covering the ceremony?

Since it's not about actual racing, I'd guess "yes".

dando
04-29-11, 08:11 AM
It's almost over...this is absolutely insane. :saywhat: Of course I'm surrounded by females, so I'm stuck watching this shizzle. :irked: :shakehead I need to get another male dog to balance things out. :gomer:

EDIT: they actually have a Countdown to the Kiss on the Today Show. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-29-11, 09:13 AM
I thought her dress was beautiful and thought that they looked very much in love. I really do wish them the best.

However, it is kind of sad that all of our news networks were focused on a wedding taking place in a country that we fought a war to get away from. Way to completely downplay everything that happened in Alabama and what's going on with the shuttle today. :rolleyes:

opinionated ow
04-29-11, 10:01 AM
That was absolutely amazing. The uniforms, the cars, the church, the music, the carriages, the soldiers, the aeroplanes, the kiss, the palace, the crowds. It was other worldly but oh so amazing...

Ankf00
04-29-11, 10:39 AM
However, it is kind of sad that all of our news networks were focused on a wedding taking place in a country that we fought a war to get away from. Way to completely downplay everything that happened in Alabama and what's going on with the shuttle today. :rolleyes:

panem et circenses

we get the govt we deserve.

dando
04-29-11, 10:51 AM
That was absolutely amazing. The uniforms, the cars, the church, the music, the carriages, the soldiers, the aeroplanes, the kiss, the palace, the crowds. It was other worldly but oh so amazing...

I agree that it was an elegant affair and a throwback to days of old with pomp and circumstance. The hype here leading up to it just buggered me to no end....and I've spoken with folks across the pond that our coverage was way over the top compared to the coverage over there. :confused: Oh, and the Spitfire/Lancaster flyover was just awesome to see.

-Kevin

G.
04-29-11, 10:54 AM
C'mon! No spoilers! Wife DVRd it.

:gomer:

opinionated ow
04-29-11, 11:10 AM
just as an aside...was that the first time both Queens of England were under the same roof?

Indy
04-29-11, 11:15 AM

Dude, they have a spat and break it off. She runs from the altar, trips on the rug, and as she falls all her clothes are ripped off leaving her naked and angry.

So don't bother, you didn't miss anything.

dando
04-29-11, 11:20 AM

I hope she got the whole shindig on DVR. The NBC coverage was split from 4-7AM and then from 7-10AM ET. I had to scramble to DVR the second part once I realized the first part was done. :saywhat: The flyovers happened ~8:20AM ET. Would have been nice if they could have launched the shuttle @ the same time. :gomer: There's gonna be a bunch of drunk peeps in the UK this weekend. :D

-Kevin

cameraman
04-29-11, 11:22 AM
#QILF is trending on twitter:rofl:

dando
04-29-11, 11:33 AM
#QILF is trending on twitter:rofl:

I'd hit that.

</FARK>

:D

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-29-11, 01:51 PM
just as an aside...was that the first time both Queens of England were under the same roof?

Giggle.

Watching Kate wave from the carriage, I kept thinking that she has obviously not seen The Princess Diaries. She was not following the "elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, wipe a tear, blow a kiss" style of waving.

we get the govt we deserve.

What does government have to do with anything? It's the MSM that made the call to focus on the royal shenanigans.

nrc
04-29-11, 03:48 PM
Dude, they have a spat and break it off. She runs from the altar, trips on the rug, and as she falls all her clothes are ripped off leaving her naked and angry.

Oh, she tries to cover up, but it's too late - I've seen everything.

Fg_cwI1Xj4M

dando
04-29-11, 04:09 PM
Watching Kate wave from the carriage, I kept thinking that she has obviously not seen The Princess Diaries. She was not following the "elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, wipe a tear, blow a kiss" style of waving.

What is it with you chicks and this waving shizzle? My wife mentioned her poor waving earlier, too. :confused: :p

-Kevin

Gnam
04-29-11, 05:30 PM
I think I know how Kate & Bill will be spending their wedding night...

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1902/36422188.png Watching the Rock chase Vin Diesel. :gomer:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/795/fastfivemovieposter2011.jpg

http://www.fastfivemovie.com/

:D

opinionated ow
04-29-11, 05:48 PM
Giggle.

Ahhhhhh a perfect opportunity for a James May reference:
DI6FMvRpNnA

racer2c
04-29-11, 08:35 PM
I'm just surprised they scheduled their wedding day on crazy hat day. :confused:

devilmaster
04-29-11, 09:07 PM
I'm just surprised they scheduled their wedding day on crazy hat day. :confused:

Yer just talkin crazy talk....
http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/gty_royal_wedding_hats_ss12_110429_ssh.jpg

datachicane
04-29-11, 09:20 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_2Yptu8g36aI/TbtkR0i2ZPI/AAAAAAAADqE/7dYhglsuNA8/s800/brazil09.jpg

racer2c
04-29-11, 09:24 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_2Yptu8g36aI/TbtkR0i2ZPI/AAAAAAAADqE/7dYhglsuNA8/s800/brazil09.jpg

I never noticed that was a shoe!!! Lol

Anteater
04-29-11, 09:30 PM
Call me an incurable romantic, but I got up at 1:00 am PT and watched the whole event. :D Everything was beautiful!

Yes, there are a lot of terrible things going on in the world right now--but it was lovely to have a tiny respite from them for a few hours.

TrueBrit
04-30-11, 01:30 PM
I thought it was a lovely day all round, bride and groom quite obviously fancy each other, the crowds were immense, the pomp and ceremony was top notch, very proud Brit here....i wish the newly weds all the luck in the world....

gjc2
04-30-11, 05:42 PM
Isn’t population of England going to be over 50% Muslim twenty years from now? What happens to the monarchy then?

datachicane
04-30-11, 05:47 PM
Isn’t population of England going to be over 50% Muslim twenty years from now? What happens to the monarchy then?

What the heck does that have to do with the Monarchy? :saywhat:
http://www.careerrocketeer.com/wp-content/uploads/red-herring-resumes.png

gjc2
04-30-11, 06:01 PM
What the heck does that have to do with the Monarchy? :saywhat:
http://www.careerrocketeer.com/wp-content/uploads/red-herring-resumes.png

Is an Islamic population going to embrace (support) a royal family who practice the Anglican religion?

opinionated ow
04-30-11, 06:21 PM
Is an Islamic population going to embrace (support) a royal family who practice the Anglican religion?

There is no way it'd be allowed to get that high...just ask David Cameron...

datachicane
04-30-11, 06:25 PM

Good grief. Why not ask the same question of the Catholics or Presbyterians?
There's around 2.4M Muslims in the UK right now- why would you assume that, as a nice, tidy, monolithic bloc, they are uniformly opposed to the Monarchy now?

A 2009 survey of the attitudes of British Muslims found them to identify more strongly with the UK than the rest of the population, with a much higher regard for the country's institutions (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/patriotic-respectful-and-homophobic-a-portrait-of-british-muslims-state-of-mind-1681062.html)

:rolleyes:

gjc2
04-30-11, 06:41 PM
Good grief. Why not ask the same question of the Catholics or Presbyterians?
There's around 2.4M Muslims in the UK right now- why would you assume that, as a nice, tidy, monolithic bloc, they are uniformly opposed to the Monarchy now?

A 2009 survey of the attitudes of British Muslims found them to identify more strongly with the UK than the rest of the population, with a much higher regard for the country's institutions (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/patriotic-respectful-and-homophobic-a-portrait-of-british-muslims-state-of-mind-1681062.html)

Instead of Anglican, I should have said "a religion other than Islam"

I hope the results of that survey are correct.

gjc2
04-30-11, 06:45 PM
I hope this guy is wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7232661.stm

SteveH
04-30-11, 09:31 PM
I hope this guy is wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7232661.stm

Dr Rowan Williams told Radio 4's World at One that the UK has to "face up to the fact" that some of its citizens do not relate to the British legal system.

So each demographic gets to determine it's own legal system?

Yeah, that should work well.

datachicane
04-30-11, 09:38 PM
Father Coughlin was 'worried', too.

opinionated ow
04-30-11, 11:46 PM

So each demographic gets to determine it's own legal system?

Yeah, that should work well.

Rowan Williams is an idiot...

cameraman
05-01-11, 12:54 AM
Poached from wikipedia. That whole Sharia law deal is three years old and was blown out of proportion and taken out of context.

Williams was the subject of a media and press furore in February 2008, following a lecture he gave to the Temple foundation at the Royal Courts of Justice on the subject of 'Islam and English Law'. He raised the question of conflicting loyalties which communities might have, cultural, religious and civic and argued that theology has a place in debates about the very nature of law 'however hard our culture may try to keep it out' and noted that there is in a 'dominant human rights philosophy' a reluctance to acknowledge the liberty of conscientious objection. He spoke of 'supplementary jurisdictions' to that of the civil law. Noting the anxieties which the word Sharia provoked in the West he drew attention to the fact that there was a debate within Islam between what he called "primitivists" for whom, for instance, apostasy should still be punishable and those Muslims who argued that Sharia was a developing system of Islamic jurisprudence that such a view was no longer acceptable. He made comparisons with "Orthodox Jewish practice" (Beth Din) and with the recognition of the exercise of conscience of Christians.
His words were critically interpreted as proposing a parallel jurisdiction to the civil law for Muslims (Sharia), and was the subject of demands from elements of the press and media for his resignation. He also attracted criticism from elements of the Anglican Communion.
In response, Williams stated in a BBC interview "... certain provision[s] of Sharia are already recognised in our society and under our law; ... we already have in this country a number of situations in which the internal law of religious communities is recognised by the law of the land as justified conscientious objections in certain circumstances in providing certain kinds of social relations" and that "we have Orthodox Jewish courts operating in this country legally and in a regulated way because there are modes of dispute resolution and customary provisions which apply there in the light of Talmud." Williams also denied accusations of proposing a parallel Islamic legal system within Britain. Williams also said that Sharia, "In some of the ways it has been codified and practised across the world, it has been appalling and applied to women in places like Saudi Arabia, it is grim."
On 4 July 2008 Sharia again became a topic of media interest, following comments by Lord Phillips, the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales. He supported the idea that Sharia could be reasonably employed as a basis for "mediation or other forms of alternative dispute resolution". He went further to defend Williams's position from earlier in the year, explaining "It was not very radical to advocate embracing sharia law in the context of family disputes, for example, and our system already goes a long way towards accommodating the archbishop's suggestion." and "It is possible in this country for those who are entering into a contractual agreement to agree that the agreement shall be governed by a law other than English law."

High Sided
05-01-11, 08:18 AM
no talk of the aston martin that runs on royal wine?
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/29/prince-william-borrows-fathers-vintage-aston-martin-for-royal-w/

Mvausr3Bl1M

datachicane
05-01-11, 08:46 AM
L- plate.

gjc2
05-01-11, 08:52 AM
no talk of the aston martin that runs on royal wine?
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/29/prince-william-borrows-fathers-vintage-aston-martin-for-royal-w/

Mvausr3Bl1M

That is really cool.

Indy
05-01-11, 01:25 PM
Hey, just a thought, but maybe if we didn't fear each other so much, we might just be able to get along. It always seems like the fear causes the conflicts, and the fear is usually being stoked by someone who benefits from conflict.

Not trying to get political, but just sayin'...

nrc
05-01-11, 02:11 PM
Hey, just a thought, but maybe if we didn't fear each other so much, we might just be able to get along. It always seems like the fear causes the conflicts, and the fear is usually being stoked by someone who benefits from conflict.

I'm sorry, but there are people who should be feared. Anyone who seeks to eliminate basic freedoms and subvert human rights to theology should be feared.

That doesn't mean that we should lump entire religions, countries, or races into one big group and hate them. It simply means that we need to recognize and understand the dangers that threaten our freedoms.

datachicane
05-01-11, 05:48 PM
Anyone who seeks to eliminate basic freedoms and subvert human rights to theology should be feared.

That doesn't mean that we should lump entire religions, countries, or races into one big group and hate them. It simply means that we need to recognize and understand the dangers that threaten our freedoms.

Like David Barton? It's not the outrage that bothers me, rather the selective outrage.

Indy
05-01-11, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry, but there are people who should be feared. Anyone who seeks to eliminate basic freedoms and subvert human rights to theology should be feared.

I totally agree with that. We just need to be more educated and discriminating, and we need to recognise the manipulators of our fear for what they are, while upholding the principles of an open, tolerant society.

Gnam
05-01-11, 07:36 PM
L- plate.

An L-plate is a square plate bearing a letter L, for learner, which must be affixed to the front and back of a vehicle in many countries if its driver is a learner under instruction.

jolly good. :D

TrueBrit
05-01-11, 09:55 PM
Instead of Anglican, I should have said "a religion other than Islam"

I hope the results of that survey are correct.

Reminds me of a survey done recently in the UK which asked: 'Do you think there are too many foreigners in Britain'

18% answered yes
82% answered کریستین امان*پور

SurfaceUnits
05-02-11, 10:04 AM
why should anyone care what the freeloading decendents of genocidal tyrants do?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Flag_of_Acadia.svg/450px-Flag_of_Acadia.svg.png

cameraman
05-02-11, 10:50 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Flag_of_Acadia.svg/450px-Flag_of_Acadia.svg.png

So I take it that you're Cajun?

SurfaceUnits
05-02-11, 01:01 PM
no. That would be this flag

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_Acadiana.svg/415px-Flag_of_Acadiana.svg.png

Ankf00
05-02-11, 01:27 PM

without them, I wouldn't be awash in a sea of crawfish boils these past two months.

huzzah, genocidal tryants, I say. huzzah. (but be a good chap and give back the Kooh-i-Noor while yuo're at it please)

(and wtf happened on Page 3?)

SurfaceUnits
05-02-11, 02:12 PM
and repatriate those foreigners in northerm ireland while you are at it

TrueBrit
05-03-11, 01:23 PM
Reminds me of a survey done recently in the UK which asked: 'Do you think there are too many foreigners in Britain'

18% answered yes
82% answered کریستین امان*پور

Seriously...no-one got this? I think it's bloody funny you humourless bastards...:D

Ankf00
05-03-11, 01:25 PM
Seriously...no-one got this? I think it's bloody funny you humourless bastards...:D

I laughed but was distracted by the rest of the cluster**** of that page

Don Quixote
05-03-11, 03:35 PM
Seriously...no-one got this? I think it's bloody funny you humourless bastards...:DI laughed too, but didn't want you to know. :D

gjc2
05-03-11, 06:41 PM

I thought it was hilarious