PDA

View Full Version : Lotus

Elmo T
11-19-10, 10:17 AM
I came looking for amusing comments about the Lotus news, but leaving disappointed. ;)

What's next? McLaren??

Well, actually a chance according to RM -

RM Bloggy comment thing (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-millers-mailbag-1117)

McLaren might still be an aero player in 2012 but, as far as other engines, I would guess Fiat and Ford but not before 2013.

Methanolandbrats
11-19-10, 10:56 AM
Not that I GAF, but do they have enough cars to use all those engines? How many teams can afford to go a la "CART" shopping for tubs, turbo lumps and little nifty bits for decoration?

pchall
11-19-10, 11:40 AM
Not that I GAF, but do they have enough cars to use all those engines? How many teams can afford to go a la "CART" shopping for tubs, turbo lumps and little nifty bits for decoration?

Probably only Penske and Ganassi.

Remember when the CART chassis and engine regs were open source for everybody who wanted to play?

As for the Kiwi guys, somebody will probably figure out how to license the color and livery details...

Hard Driver
11-19-10, 06:35 PM
IMO, Lotus getting involved is a good thing. I like the idea of having a price limited spec tub, an open aero package that is price limited and open to all teams and a price limited engine too.

This is better than spec racing.

Look, I still hold a grudge against indycar too. But Tony is gone. The all oval plan is gone. They are adopting good CART tracks, turbo engines, manufacturer competition and have some good drivers. Get some interest building in the series so that sponsors show up and the result could be full fields of good drivers at some decent tracks... May not be the glory years of CART, but I will take that over the old IRL anyday.

So in other words, this is the right direction for Indycar.

KLang
11-19-10, 07:36 PM
Except there are only a handful people worldwide that GAF anymore.

Al Czervik
11-19-10, 08:53 PM
IMO, Lotus getting involved is a good thing. I like the idea of having a price limited spec tub, an open aero package that is price limited and open to all teams and a price limited engine too.

Except its not that. You can build an engine cover and upper sidepods, but the aero is fixed. The engines (2.4L, twin turbo) have a target HP of ~700 for the twisties, less for the ovals. They could have written a good spec. Common tub, open aero, room for engine development. Instead, it looks like more of the same.

It will be funny watching people, err, defend WhatsAHelio winning #5 in a Penske owned, government subsidized Dallara powered by a Government Motors lump.

Chief
11-20-10, 02:44 PM
Look, I still hold a grudge against indycar too. But Tony is gone. The all oval plan is gone. They are adopting good CART tracks, turbo engines, manufacturer competition and have some good drivers.
I want to like the new stuff, I really do. The new direction can be a positive one.

However, I feel like I witnessed a murder. I have indisputable evidence that a certain entity is the perpetrator, but there is no judge or jury and law enforcement will not bring this criminal to justice. Grudge? Maybe...but I think they got away with murder. And, until they take responsibility for their actions, personally, they can rot in H E double-hockeysticks. :yuck:

stroker
11-20-10, 09:47 PM
IMHO the word we're all searching for is "contrived".

The whole thing is now "contrived". It used not to be. Until they get it back to NOT "contrived" then they can go F themselves.

Unfortunately it's beginning to look like any "first tier" racing series is pretty frikkin' contrived these days.

NismoZ
11-21-10, 11:17 AM
They should contrive a stronger economy first. Ground up, ya know!?:)

Indy
11-21-10, 06:46 PM
IMHO the word we're all searching for is "contrived".

The whole thing is now "contrived". It used not to be. Until they get it back to NOT "contrived" then they can go F themselves.

Unfortunately it's beginning to look like any "first tier" racing series is pretty frikkin' contrived these days.

Ding, ding, ding. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: