PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual CART Champ Car Friends meeting Jan 8 2011

TravelGal
11-14-10, 02:42 AM
Sorry this is so long. It's how I got it from Dapix. I attended in 2009 but have a "must attend" wedding in Texas in 2011 so I'll have to miss this one. It's a great event, even though it's Detroit in January.

The 7th Annual Winter Meeting of CART Champ Car Friends will be held on Saturday, January 8, 2011 at the Sheraton Detroit-Novi Hotel in Novi, Michigan. Fans, volunteers and former employees will gather that weekend to share memories and honor contributions to open wheel racing made during the29 years that the CART/Champ Car series operated.

Two years ago 56 of us from 12 states and Canada, including both the east and west coasts, honored Billy Kamphausen for his years of service to the series (and friendship to us all) at a dinner at the Motorsports Hall of Fame. Some of us arrived in Detroit on Friday evening and had dinner together at the Sheraton. Then about 30 of us gathered informally at the Sheraton on Saturday for lunch in the restaurant and around the bar late in the afternoon before moving to the Motorsports Hall of Fame for dinner and the presentations to Billy.

The intention this year is to have a similar, perhaps larger, event honoring the safety team and medical staff from the CART and Champ Car years for their actions in protecting the drivers and pit lane crews, and for their innovations in safety and race track medical procedures. The main event will be a dinner and program at the Sheraton on Saturday evening. Some of us will gather informally on Friday evening, January 7, 2011, at the Sheraton and others will have lunch together at the Sheraton on Saturday. For those who wish, an excursion to the Motorsports Hall of Fame on Saturday can be arranged. Among the many exhibits there is the McDonald's sponsored Newman Haas car driven by Sebastien Bourdais to a 4th consecutive Championship in 2007.

Starting around 5 PM on Saturday we'll gather at the bar for cocktails before dinner at 6:30. Dinner will include a choice of four entrees plus salad, desert, coffee, tax and tip, served in a private room at $35 per person. The program will include recollections of safety related events we all remember, insight into those occasions from those who participated in them, first hand stories you may have heard before and some you've never heard, and a presentation to the safety team and medical staff who are with us that evening.

If you were an employee of the series or any team, a safety team member, race volunteer, or a fan of CART and/or Champ Car please contact your colleagues and friends, and plan to get together with them in Detroit January 7-8, 2011. Rooms at the Sheraton Detroit Novi Hotel are available both Friday and Saturday nights at a special rate of $79 per night. To get this rate call the hotel directly at 1-866-837-4180 and tell them you are attending the CART Champ Car Friends event on January 8.

If you have a safety team or medical staff story to tell, come share it. If you were part of the series from 1979 through 2007, come spend this weekend with those who were part of it with you. If you were a fan of the series come share this weekend with other fans and honor the safety team and medical staff that helped give the series its special place in history.

To participate in this special event please send your check for $35, payable to David Pixley, to 55 New London Rd., Pittsford, NY 14534. I will coordinate our combined dinner reservation and space requirements with the hotel. The size of this event is yet to be determined; it depends on how soon you make your reservations to be part of it. The sooner we receive reservations and the more reservations we receive the greater commitment we can make for rooms and dinner at the hotel. The success of this event depends on you.

If you have questions please reply to CCICFriends, ccicfriends@yahoo.com.

Please circulate this email to anyone you think might be interested in attending.

devilmaster
11-14-10, 03:15 AM
Hmm...

I now have a passport, and Novi ain't that far.... :cool:

I'll probably just forget all about it though :rofl:

TravelGal
12-15-10, 02:35 AM
bump

Napoleon
12-15-10, 06:12 AM
I would go but before I ever saw this I had put down money on a ski trip that weekend. Have fun.

chop456
12-15-10, 07:35 AM
>>>> You and Roger Penske again?

Napoleon
12-15-10, 07:59 AM
>>>> You and Roger Penske again?

:rofl:

Yes, exactly.

Spicoli
01-23-11, 12:59 AM
I'm in. :thumbup: