PDA

View Full Version : A nickel for solving this mystery....

WickerBill
11-11-10, 08:10 PM
Like millions, I have recently gotten the wonderful joy of heartburn. It's random, doesn't seem to matter if I've eaten or not, etc. It isn't super bad or even frequent or anything, so for a few months I've just popped a Pepcid Complete and the problem goes away immediately, usually for days.

About a month ago, I went to buy a new bottle, and Meijer was out. Target was out. CVS and Walgreens were out. Four weeks later, still no Pepcid Complete to be found, anywhere. There are rows of bottle holders at every pharmacy in central Indiana that are empty where the Pepcid Complete goes.

It isn't a huge deal -- I just take the Target knock-off which is about 90% as effective -- but in searching the web, I've basically come up with nothing. There was a recall two months ago on one lot of one flavor of PC, but no overarching recall. There are lots of people asking where it is, but the J&J website says nothing.

Oh hey look, Amazon has it and it's in stock. So I ordered it there; makes sense anyway to order it online vs. trekking across this wasteland looking for it. Got an email... backordered until May 2011.

Weird... wonder what problem with PC was so horrid that they've recalled every pill and won't have new for seven months? What horrors have I ingested in the name of heartburn relief? I'm going to sprout an alien out of my stomach, aren't I?

devilmaster
11-11-10, 08:21 PM
did the democrats buy it en mass leading up to mid-term elections? [/thread derail] ;)

looks like you can still get it in canada... [edit]sent an email to J&J canada and flat out asked whats up. told them i was visiting friends and couldn't buy it stateside. If i hear you will too.

trish
11-11-10, 08:22 PM
Try CVS.com and Drugstore.com to see if they have any ready to ship.

Anyway, I find nothing about it either. The original recall was because some mint flavored tablets were mixed in with a bottle of berry flavored. Some retailers probably just pulled them all off the shelves due to potential liability issues. I also read that the product won't be on the shelves until sometime next year.

SteveH
11-11-10, 08:26 PM
try Zantac

Methanolandbrats
11-11-10, 08:26 PM
Why not keep it simple and buy some Zantac?

Gnam
11-11-10, 08:33 PM
Assume you saw this: http://www.pepcid.com/faq

Also, here's an article about problems at the Pepcid factory:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/22/news/companies/mcneil_pepcid_plant_problems/index.htm

I would find another brand. :)

nrc
11-11-10, 08:34 PM
http://www.pepcid.com/faq

There has been a recall but it's supposed to be limited

Q1: Why are these products being recalled?

A1: The recall is being initiated because the potential exists for a small number of bottles to have been punctured during the packaging process. The puncture was discovered as part of the company's quality control processes.

Q2. Are there any consumer safety concerns associated with the use of these lots?

A2. If a consumer takes PEPCID® COMPLETE® TROPICAL FRUIT or ORIGINAL STRENGTH PEPCID® AC® from an affected lot (BEF062 and BFF010) which has a punctured bottle, the risk of serious adverse health consequences is remote.

Q3: What lots have been recalled?

A3: PEPCID® COMPLETE® 50 ct lot BEF062 and ORIGINAL STRENGTH PEPCID® AC® 90 ct lot BFF010 have been recalled. The lot numbers for the product can be found on the side of each bottle.

Q4. What caused the manufacturing issue?

A4. The cause of the puncture was determined to be a protruding screw on the packaging line. Corrective action has been implemented.

Q5. Are PEPCID® Products still available?

A5. This recall is limited to one lot of PEPCID® COMPLETE® TROPICAL FRUIT, lot number BEF062 and ORIGINAL STRENGTH PEPCID® AC® Tablets, lot number BFF010. PEPCID® products remain available on store shelves for all other lots as well as all other product presentations. You may experience a temporary shortage of ORIGINAL STRENGTH PEPCID® AC® 90 ct and the PEPCID® COMPLETE® Tropical Fruit 50 ct on store shelves.

We are in the process of manufacturing additional ORIGINAL STRENGTH PEPCID® AC® (10 mg) and PEPCID® COMPLETE® now that the corrective action has been implemented on our packaging line.

Edit: Ha, Gnam just beat me. No nickel for me.

WickerBill
11-11-10, 08:52 PM
I'll give you a nickel - it's your birthday.

Is there a Zantac chewable? That's the kicker for me, grab one in the car and it's instant relief.

/lazy

Methanolandbrats
11-11-10, 08:59 PM
I'll give you a nickel - it's your birthday.

Is there a Zantac chewable? That's the kicker for me, grab one in the car and it's instant relief.

/lazy

I don't know, but you're supposed to take it with a big gulp of water, just keep a water bottle in the car. It also gives instant relief that lasts.

High Sided
11-11-10, 09:03 PM
my insurance covers my daily dose of nexium :)

Gnam
11-11-10, 09:43 PM
It might help.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/1963/medicalmarijuanadesign1.jpg

oddlycalm
11-11-10, 10:46 PM

/lazy
Zantac is not chewable but it is the most effective solution. Avoid Prilosec as it has a laundry list of side effects.

oc

Elmo T
11-11-10, 11:04 PM
Avoid Prilosec as it has a laundry list of side effects.

oc

The Prilosec works well for me - no issues.

Now Mrs. Elmo, different story. Her GI side effects were far worse than the heartburn. :yuck:

I'd check drugstore.com - we've had good success with them.

STD
11-12-10, 12:27 AM
Changed my diet and eating habits slightly, work out daily, ditched the need to take anything within six months. This after ten years of having to have Zantac or the same in a less expensive but just as effective generic.

G.
11-12-10, 12:40 AM
Rolaids have been off the shelf since January. You'd think they'd figure it out by new.:saywhat:

trish
11-12-10, 02:30 AM
Zantac is not chewable but it is the most effective solution. Avoid Prilosec as it has a laundry list of side effects.

oc

I just started taking the prescription version of Prilosec yesterday morning. Are the side effects serious?

cameraman
11-12-10, 04:28 AM
I just started taking the prescription version of Prilosec yesterday morning. Are the side effects serious?

That is somewhat of an open question at the moment. The basics are as follows:
Clinical Trials Experience with Prilosec Monotherapy

Because clinical trials are conducted under widely varying conditions, adverse reaction rates observed in the clinical trials of a drug cannot be directly compared to rates in the clinical trials of another drug and may not reflect the rates observed in practice.

The safety data described below reflects exposure to Prilosec Delayed-Release Capsules in 3096 patients from worldwide clinical trials (465 patients from US studies and 2,631 patients from international studies). Indications clinically studied in US trials included duodenal ulcer, resistant ulcer, and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. The international clinical trials were double blind and open-label in design. The most common adverse reactions reported (i.e., with an incidence rate ≥ 2%) from Prilosec-treated patients enrolled in these studies included headache (6.9%), abdominal pain (5.2%), nausea (4.0%), diarrhea (3.7%), vomiting (3.2%), and flatulence (2.7%).

Additional adverse reactions that were reported with an incidence ≥1% included acid regurgitation (1.9%), upper respiratory infection (1.9%), constipation (1.5%), dizziness (1.5%), rash (1.5%), asthenia (1.3%), back pain (1.1%), and cough (1.1%).

In uncontrolled general population use there have been reports correlating Prilosec use with just about every ailment known to humanity but the problem with that is the completely uncontrolled nature of the data. Just because someone taking Prilosec had symptom X does not mean that Prilosec caused symptom X. That little tidbit gets lost in much of what you find in Google searches.

The simplest thing is to pay attention to yourself. Be aware that an allergic reaction is possible but quite rare, any hives or itchy throat symptoms should be taken seriously. Thing is the majority of people have no problems at all.

trish
11-12-10, 05:07 AM

In uncontrolled general population use there have been reports correlating Prilosec use with just about every ailment known to humanity but the problem with that is the completely uncontrolled nature of the data. Just because someone taking Prilosec had symptom X does not mean that Prilosec caused symptom X. That little tidbit gets lost in much of what you find in Google searches.

The simplest thing is to pay attention to yourself. Be aware that an allergic reaction is possible but quite rare, any hives or itchy throat symptoms should be taken seriously. Thing is the majority of people have no problems at all.

Maybe we can add insomnia to the list. :D I'd better try to get some sleep.

RTKar
11-12-10, 09:55 PM
PRILOSEC once a day, quick easy fix.

WickerBill
11-16-10, 09:49 PM
From J&J&Merck, replying to an email I sent them:

"Due to a shortage of supply PEPCID® products are temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing you and assure you we are working diligently to get your products back as quickly as possible. PEPCID® has been challenged on product supply due to production challenges as well as the transition to new labels. We expect to have PEPCID® products back in the stores for some codes by November 2010."

Yes, I'm sure it's the labels.

emjaya
11-16-10, 10:41 PM
From J&J&Merck, replying to an email I sent them:

"Due to a shortage of supply PEPCID® products are temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing you and assure you we are working diligently to get your products back as quickly as possible. PEPCID® has been challenged on product supply due to production challenges as well as the transition to new labels. We expect to have PEPCID® products back in the stores for some codes by November 2010."

Yes, I'm sure it's the labels.

"due to production challenges" ie: one of the ingredients we use is harmfull to your health, but we can't do without it.

"new labels"ie: new disclaimer added.

Just trying to help. :gomer:

trish
11-17-10, 01:10 AM

Well, as of yesterday my left eye is twitching and I also developed some anxiety which I'm prone to have anyway. Other than that I feel fine.

cameraman
11-17-10, 02:53 AM
Well, as of yesterday my left eye is twitching and I also developed some anxiety... Were you reading the Hot Topics & Current Events section at the time? Lord knows that place makes me twitch:D