PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi

cameraman
11-08-10, 12:25 AM
Just saw a tweet that the travel time from San Paulo to Abu Dhabi is 17 hours. Many flights are leaving between 1 and 3 am local time. :yuck:

EDwardo
11-08-10, 01:28 PM
Yabu Dhabi dooo!

cameraman
11-08-10, 05:38 PM
Not wishing to sound too much like a fanboi but this whole Pastor Maldonado thing pisses me off. He was Hulkenberg's teammate at ART and he was nowhere near as good a driver. At least it seems that Maldonado is going to do a three day test with Hispania next week so hopefully he will take Sakon's bought seat instead of Hulkenberg's earned one.

emjaya
11-10-10, 08:59 AM
The way the points in the WDC are:

If Alonso comes first or second in Abu Dhabi, he wins the championship regardless of who wins the race.
If he is third or forth to a Vettel-Webber one-two, he wins the championship.
If he comes fifth to a Vettel win, he is second due to number of wins.
If he comes home second to a Webber win, he wins.
If he is third to a Webber win, he is second in the championship.
At this point Alonso has five wins if there is a tie.

If Webber wins he needs Alonso to be no higher than third place for Webber to win the WDC.
If Webber is second he needs Vettel to be placed no higher than third and Alonso sixth.
If Webber is third he needs Vettel to place no higher than second and Alonso seventh.
If Webber is forth he needs Vettel no higher than second and Alonso ninth.
If Webber is fifth he needs Vettel placed no higher than third and Alonso tenth.
Sixth will see him equal with the points Alonso has now with one less win.
Webber has four wins now.

If Vettel wins he needs to have Alonso no better than sixth to win the WDC.
If Vettel is second he needs Webber fifth and Alonso ninth to win.
If Vettel is third he he equals the points Alonso has now with one less win.
Vettel has four wins now.

Hamilton needs to win and have Vettel third, Webber sixth and Alonso not to score points at all to win the WDC.
Hamilton has three wins now.

But I could be wrong. :gomer:

Insomniac
11-10-10, 03:21 PM
Look right to me. I did it differently the other day.

For __________ to win:

Fernando Alonso
Finish 1st or 2nd
Finish 3rd or 4th with Webber in 2nd or lower.
Finish 5th with Webber (wins on 1st tie breaker) and Vettel 2nd or lower.
Finish 6th with Webber 3rd and Vettel 2nd or lower.
Finish 7th with Webber 4th and Vettel 2nd or lower.
Finish 8th with Webber 4th (wins on 1st tie breaker) and Vettel 2nd or lower.
Finish 9th with Webber 5th (wins on 1st tie breaker) and Vettel 3rd or lower.
Finish 10th with Webber 6th and Vettel 3rd or lower.
Finish 11th or lower with Webber 6th (wins on 1st tie breaker), Vettel 3rd (wins on 1st tie breaker) and Hamilton 2nd or lower

Mark Webber
Finish 1st with Alonso 3rd or lower.
Finish 2nd with Alonso 6th and Vettel 3rd or lower.
Finish 3rd with Alonso 7th and Vettel 2nd or lower.
Finish 4th with Alonso 9th and Vettel 2nd or lower.
Finish 5th with Alonso 10th and Vettel 3rd or lower.

Sebastian Vettel
Finish 1st with Alonso 5th (wins on 4th tie breaker) and Webber 2nd (wins on 1st tie breaker) or lower.
Finish 2nd with Alonso 9th and Webber 5th or lower.

Lewis Hamilton
Finish 1st with Alonso 11th, Webber 6th and Vettel 3rd or lower.

cameraman
11-11-10, 12:34 PM
Impressions from the drivers? Alonso the least at ease oddly enough. Vettel beaming. Webber equally so. Lewis on a mission.

and...

Where's a camera when you need it? Bernie driving a golf buggy through the Yas Marina paddock. Security not brave enough to stop him.

cameraman
11-11-10, 12:42 PM
I am just amazed how the US media and the US in general is just oblivious to F1.

http://twitpic.com/35triw

Do you think we will hear word one from that press conference?

A GP2 engine right out of the box.

http://twitpic.com/35st5x

Russian sports car manufacturer Marussia Motors, a current sponsor of the Virgin team, has acquired a 'significant stake' in the outfit, company President Nikolai Fomenko revealed.
The British team will be renamed Marussia Virgin Racing next season as part of the deal and the car will be launched in both London and Moscow.

The team will remain based in donnington, don't worry and management remains the same

Methanolandbrats
11-11-10, 01:33 PM
A GP2 engine right out of the box.

http://twitpic.com/35st5x

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/191140773.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1289497736&Signature=%2FnW3zM6ZNpirABivXEGI8vJQ0mA%3D Oh I want one of those for Christmas, I'll transplant it into my 1800 lb Rabbit GTI. :D

TedN
11-11-10, 02:08 PM
Another way to put the title fight ....

Consider this scenario in the last race -- Vettel first, Webber second, Alonso fifth. They all end up with 256 points. Vettel and Alonso will have five wins while Webber has four. Both Vettel and Alonso have two runner up places. Both have three third place finishes. Vettel will take the title with three fourth place finishes while Alonso only has two. And all this will play out in Abu Dhabi, a country that probably never watches or follows Formula 1 until it shows up on their doorstep.

Link (http://www.deepthrottle.com/Thoughts/10_brazil_thoughts.shtml)

Ted

cameraman
11-11-10, 02:39 PM
I don't know about that never watches F1 statement. The race is well & truly sold out.

cameraman
11-11-10, 06:46 PM
Alonso almost loses his face:laugh::eek:

aGnQnce_SsQ

cameraman
11-12-10, 05:47 AM
It is pouring down rain in Abu Dhabi:eek::saywhat::laugh:

BarillaGirl
11-12-10, 10:50 AM

But is it raining at Indian Wells?

stroker
11-12-10, 03:53 PM

Well, ain't that a shame? It couldn't have waited until halfway through the race?

NismoZ
11-12-10, 07:12 PM
Rain? Say hello to the new champ, Fernando Alonso!;)

racer2c
11-13-10, 09:08 PM
I'm actually giddy. My wife and I have been talking about it all day. Can't wait for the green flag, er, red lights to go out. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
11-13-10, 09:23 PM
I'm actually giddy. My wife and I have been talking about it all day. Can't wait for the green flag, er, red lights to go out. :thumbup:

The safety car light is yellow, not green or red :gomer:

Cam
11-14-10, 09:59 AM
Anyone but Fred. ANYONE.:mad:

trish
11-14-10, 10:07 AM
Then hope McLaren leaves Lewis out on his current set of tyres to start with.

trish
11-14-10, 10:46 AM
Congrats to the 2010 World Champ.

Methanolandbrats
11-14-10, 10:47 AM
:thumbup:

Indy
11-14-10, 10:59 AM
Abu Dhabi sucks. Way to go, spending $1 Billion on a garbage track. And **** you, Bernie for being such a whore.

And congrats to the champeen. Not much of a fan these days, but I remember how impressive he was during the Vettelmania days at the USGP. He deserves it, and it beats the hell out of Freddie the Ferraritard winning.

NismoZ
11-14-10, 02:01 PM
Yep, the best car won.;)

oddlycalm
11-16-10, 04:40 PM
Abu Dhabi sucks. Way to go, spending $1 Billion on a garbage track.Apparently others agree.

Abu Dhabi GP urged to alter circuit (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88322)

cameraman
11-16-10, 05:46 PM
It just gives you the warm & fuzzes over the design of the Austin track:shakehead

Insomniac
11-16-10, 06:58 PM
Apparently others agree.

Abu Dhabi GP urged to alter circuit (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88322)

Is the problem really the track?

Movable wings seems like a bad idea. All the curves on the front and back wings. Would it make sense to move more of the aero grip from the wings to the undertray? Also reduce the aero grip and increase mechanical grip? The cars really shouldn't be near perfect through every corner.

Also, Alonso, Webber, Hamilton and Massa drove cautiously. The stewards need toquit handing out stupid penalties for racing incidents ("incident between car X and car Y is under investigation").

cameraman
11-16-10, 07:50 PM
The GP2 drivers were their usual insane selves and they had a hard time passing too. There was some passing but nowhere near the usual.

opinionated ow
11-16-10, 07:55 PM

Movable wings seems like a bad idea. All the curves on the front and back wings. Would it make sense to move more of the aero grip from the wings to the undertray? Also reduce the aero grip and increase mechanical grip? The cars really shouldn't be near perfect through every corner.

Also, Alonso, Webber, Hamilton and Massa drove cautiously. The stewards need toquit handing out stupid penalties for racing incidents ("incident between car X and car Y is under investigation").

I disagree. This is the pinnacle of motorsport, the cars should be as near to the ultimate driving machine as possible. That's the whole point!

emjaya
11-16-10, 10:55 PM

Alonso was 2kph slower though the speed trap than Petrov. If the Ferrari is slower than the Renault, then how is the track to blame?

The place was sold out, so I have been told. :\

cameraman
11-17-10, 02:41 AM
Well it seats ~55,000 and has no general admission areas so selling 55K tickets isn't really all that difficult.

oddlycalm
11-17-10, 05:00 AM
Alonso was 2kph slower though the speed trap than Petrov. If the Ferrari is slower than the Renault, then how is the track to blame?
Alonso was slower on the straights but faster everywhere else. BTW, Petrov agrees.

"Overtaking is not possible here," Petrov said when asked by AUTOSPORT. "The Ferrari was behind and he could not overtake here. But I don't know what they can change because they have already built the place.

"To help overtaking, I think you need a faster corner, maybe third or fourth gear and then you have an opportunity to overtake. If at Turn 7, the hairpin onto the back straight, if that corner was like Turn 1 then I am sure it would be better."

oc

emjaya
11-17-10, 09:51 AM
Alonso was slower on the straights but faster everywhere else. BTW, Petrov agrees.

oc
Petrov could be wrong.

I like the idea of having a track where a car that is fast in a straight line is not able to be passed by one that is slower in a straight line.

Maybe Alonso should have rolled off a little downforce and raised his top speed.

Insomniac
11-17-10, 01:00 PM
I disagree. This is the pinnacle of motorsport, the cars should be as near to the ultimate driving machine as possible. That's the whole point!

I think if they're going to tightly regulate the cars, then the limitations should make the cars a bit more difficult to drive and rely less on aero that can be disrupted by a leading car.

If they want to open it up to see who can get a car around a track fastest with constant innovation (vs. incremental within very tight rules) then I agree with you.

Here's a thought. Ban wind tunnels and wind tunnel simulation software. Use CAD/CAM, build it and test it on a track.

Insomniac
11-17-10, 01:09 PM
Petrov could be wrong.

I like the idea of having a track where a car that is fast in a straight line is not able to be passed by one that is slower in a straight line.

Maybe Alonso should have rolled off a little downforce and raised his top speed.

Maybe they would do that if F1 would stop with the parc ferme nonsense. Is it really necessary to qualify on a race setup? They dumped the stupid fuel thing, how about getting rid of parc ferme totally?

Methanolandbrats
11-17-10, 01:25 PM
Maybe they would do that if F1 would stop with the parc ferme nonsense. Is it really necessary to qualify on a race setup? They dumped the stupid fuel thing, how about getting rid of parc ferme totally?

Ya, they could parc ferme the top 10 after the race and see if the bits are legal. Up till them, bolt on any **** you want right up the time the grid is cleared. Also get rid of the option tire and mandatory stop. They should only come to the pits if it's game over.

Insomniac
11-17-10, 04:24 PM
Ya, they could parc ferme the top 10 after the race and see if the bits are legal. Up till them, bolt on any **** you want right up the time the grid is cleared. Also get rid of the option tire and mandatory stop. They should only come to the pits if it's game over.

That would be good too. Do you think that anyone would use an optional tire that can't go the full distance with the risk of a safety car?

cameraman
11-20-10, 02:50 AM
A comment on the Pirelli tire test in Abu Dhabi today.
Pirellis-similar to bridge same big understeer. Exit rear more nervous difficult to drive. Also big degradation so exciting races+strategy

Time will tell.