PDA

View Full Version : STS-133

dando
10-31-10, 02:28 PM
Second to last launch re-scheduled for 03-Nov @ 3:52pm ET.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39937121/ns/technology_and_science-space/

NASA has until Sunday, Nov. 7 to launch Discovery toward the International Space Station launch within the current window. After that, the space agency would have to wait until early December to try again.

We have some friends headed down to The World this week, but I am selfishly hoping for a rogue storm to intervene until our next trip in December (:p ==> Elmo). :D

-Kevin

Indy
10-31-10, 10:03 PM
I'll bet they put it off because of the election. If something happened it could affect the outcome.

Ed_Severson
10-31-10, 10:15 PM
I'll bet they put it off because of the election. If something happened it could affect the outcome.

Nah ... RH OMS GN2 QD leak, my sources tell me. ;)

Insomniac
11-01-10, 01:25 PM

The election is the day before the window opens.

dando
11-01-10, 01:44 PM
The election is the day before the window opens.

Huh? The elections are tomorrow. The window runs from today until 7-Nov. Postponing the launch does nothing to affect the elections. Super Prez has already sunk the space program. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Gnam
11-01-10, 02:07 PM
One small trip for man, one giant leap for dexterous humanoid robot centaurs.
Hail Robonaut 2!

http://robonaut.jsc.nasa.gov/default.asp

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3496/centaursmall.jpg

Insomniac
11-01-10, 03:37 PM
Huh? The elections are tomorrow. The window runs from today until 7-Nov. Postponing the launch does nothing to affect the elections. Super Prez has already sunk the space program. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Sorry, I meant the current window had them scheduled to launch for 11/3. They weren't going to move it up.

Gnam
11-03-10, 03:17 AM
Pushed back to Thursday, Nov 4.

"Mike Moses, chair of the MMT, said the problems are believed to be tied to a circuit breaker in the shuttle's cockpit."

Just stick a penny in it. :p

dando
11-03-10, 08:53 AM
Pushed back to Thursday, Nov 4.

"Mike Moses, chair of the MMT, said the problems are believed to be tied to a circuit breaker in the shuttle's cockpit."

Just stick a penny in it. :p

With the forecast as it is, they might not get the bird off the ground by Sunday (holding out hope I can see it in December).

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=28.408312587374258&lon=-80.61149597167969&site=mlb&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Not sure what their tolerance is for winds, but winds gusting to 30 mph Fri-Sun would seem a bit extreme.

-Kevin

dando
11-04-10, 10:25 AM
Pushed again to tomorrow. 60% chance of good conditions, but winds will be a concern.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hrGsya3uBvMlx7vv-hYKIHXPeo6A?docId=92e533ed4f4c4a77983d56e32b563138

-Kevin

dando
11-05-10, 08:35 AM
They're fueling the bird for launch this afternoon @ 3:04pm.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hjz2CE8vjwuFm7RPmOxhhjhPVPrQ?docId=0f4456f79 ead42efb71feef9690cef0a

-Kevin

KLang
11-05-10, 09:16 AM
From CNN: 'NASA has scrubbed Friday's launch of Space Shuttle Discovery after reporting a gaseous leak.'

Don Quixote
11-05-10, 09:42 AM
Duct tape needed. :shakehead

dando
11-05-10, 10:34 AM
From CNN: 'NASA has scrubbed Friday's launch of Space Shuttle Discovery after reporting a gaseous leak.'

Yup. Hydrogen leak during fueling. Next possible launch is on Monday, which is odd since everything I've read until mow indicated that the current window closes on 07-Nov (Sunday). :confused:

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
11-05-10, 11:40 AM
I've got a buddy who works at KSC, and he's telling me that Tuesday might even be an option. I'm trying to get an explanation for this one ... I was under the impression that after Monday the beta angles closed the launch window until the end of the month.

racer2c
11-05-10, 11:49 AM
its freekin freezing (62!!!) and windy here today!! Brrrrr!!!!

dando
11-05-10, 12:01 PM
I've got a buddy who works at KSC, and he's telling me that Tuesday might even be an option. I'm trying to get an explanation for this one ... I was under the impression that after Monday the beta angles closed the launch window until the end of the month.

I'm beginning to think no one has a clue when the window closes. It was first reported as Sunday, but today they are saying it closes Monday and opens again on 30-Nov. :confused: :saywhat:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts133/101105scrub/

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
11-05-10, 12:15 PM
Based on what I'm hearing, the window would have closed Sunday using their conventional standards. However, the safety factor is so high on certain calculations that launching Monday or even Tuesday is potentially feasible. Evidently the trajectory guys in Houston and the thermal guys at Kennedy are doing the math on that one now. I assume most everyone reading this will already understand what's going on, but I'll offer a simple explanation just in case.

Beta angle is the angle between the craft's orbital plane and a line between the earth & sun. Basically the beta angle determines how much time the craft spends in direct sunlight, and as a result, how much thermal radiation it absorbs from the sun. Obviously, at some point there is a limit to the shuttle's ability to cope with the thermal radiation and regulate its environmental temperature. That limit is what really determines when the launch window closes. So there is a definitive point at which, given ideal performance of the cooling system, the thermal load still can't be overcome. The determination of Sunday/Monday/Tuesday window closing just comes down to how close to that limit they're willing to go, and what their options might be for aborting the mission and coming home if there's some failure of the cooling system.

Thus endeth the lecture. :tony:

dando
11-05-10, 12:26 PM
Based on what I'm hearing, the window would have closed Sunday using their conventional standards. However, the safety factor is so high on certain calculations that launching Monday or even Tuesday is potentially feasible. Evidently the trajectory guys in Houston and the thermal guys at Kennedy are doing the math on that one now. I assume most everyone reading this will already understand what's going on, but I'll offer a simple explanation just in case.

Beta angle is the angle between the craft's orbital plane and a line between the earth & sun. Basically the beta angle determines how much time the craft spends in direct sunlight, and as a result, how much thermal radiation it absorbs from the sun. Obviously, at some point there is a limit to the shuttle's ability to cope with the thermal radiation and regulate its environmental temperature. That limit is what really determines when the launch window closes. So there is a definitive point at which, given ideal performance of the cooling system, the thermal load still can't be overcome. The determination of Sunday/Monday/Tuesday window closing just comes down to how close to that limit they're willing to go, and what their options might be for aborting the mission and coming home if there's some failure of the cooling system.

Just so she don't go boom. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
11-05-10, 12:50 PM
Now officially postponed until at least November 30.

Methanolandbrats
11-05-10, 01:25 PM
It's cold at the end of Nov. One of them NASA boys better head to Harbor Freight and get one of these

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/179213_lg.jpg

dando
11-05-10, 01:42 PM
Word is that it'll be a night launch ~4am. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TravelGal
11-05-10, 03:23 PM

Hey, I appreciate it. I'm interested enough to read the thread but I'm far from fully informed. What you wrote educated me quite bit. Thank you. :)

Indy
11-05-10, 09:34 PM

So that means they are using traction control, right?

Ed_Severson
11-05-10, 10:47 PM
Hey, I appreciate it. I'm interested enough to read the thread but I'm far from fully informed. What you wrote educated me quite bit. Thank you. :)

No problem ... glad it was helpful to someone. I really debated whether to post it or not, because I always feel like I'm talking down to whoever reads it, even though that's not my intent. Of course, I'm sure my reputation has something to do with that. :D

So that means they are using traction control, right?

I'm delighted to see that my role in the stupidest argument in the history of innernet racing fora has stood the test of time. :tony:

Gnam
11-05-10, 11:44 PM
No problem ... glad it was helpful to someone. I really debated whether to post it or not, because I always feel like I'm talking down to whoever reads it, even though that's not my intent.

I liked it. :)

cameraman
11-06-10, 05:41 AM
It worked for me. Don't hold back.

Indy
11-06-10, 08:34 AM
I'm delighted to see that my role in the stupidest argument in the history of innernet racing fora has stood the test of time. :tony:

It's good that you can admit that it was stupid to think they weren't using it. :gomer::gomer::gomer:

grungex
11-06-10, 07:22 PM

Linky?

Andrew Longman
11-08-10, 12:38 PM
No problem ... glad it was helpful to someone.Me too. I am a space junky since I was 5 and played sick to stay home from kindergarten to wear my astronaut jumpsuit and watch Gemini launches. Actually I was hooked even younger with Mercury flights.

Anyway, I've even worked at KSC helping reduce turnaround time for the shuttles and didn't know that about how the flight windows were determined. I always assumed it had something to do with how much energy it would take to "catch" whatever it was rendezvousing with.

Anyway thanks.

dando
11-11-10, 03:13 PM
:eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101110/ap_on_sc/us_space_shuttle

The two cracks — each 9 inches long — were found on the exterior of the aluminum tank, beneath a larger crack in the insulating foam that covers the 15-story tank. The cracks are in an area that holds instruments, not fuel.

NASA spokesman Allard Beutel said engineers believe the tank can be repaired at the launch pad, although it's never been tried before. It's unclear, though, whether the work can be done in time to meet a Nov. 30 launch attempt.

-Kevin

Elmo T
11-11-10, 03:25 PM
NASA spokesman Allard Beutel said engineers believe the tank can be repaired at the launch pad, although it's never been tried before.

http://i54.tinypic.com/azhq2o.jpg

Methanolandbrats
11-11-10, 03:47 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/azhq2o.jpg

So zip ties are ok then? :gomer:

TravelGal
11-11-10, 04:01 PM
With the forecast as it is, they might not get the bird off the ground by Sunday (holding out hope I can see it in December).

-Kevin

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101110/ap_on_sc/us_space_shuttle
NASA spokesman Allard Beutel said engineers believe the tank can be repaired at the launch pad, although it's never been tried before. It's unclear, though, whether the work can be done in time to meet a Nov. 30 launch attempt.

-Kevin

So it's all your fault. You want to see it in December!!

Methanolandbrats
11-11-10, 04:07 PM
Ok, it's clear now, it's a tank repair, so there is only one solution.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/post-jbweld.jpg

Mix it up, slap it on, let it dry and light the fuse :gomer:

Steve99
11-11-10, 04:40 PM
So zip ties are ok then? :gomer:

As long as they'll hold until the Gorilla Glue dries.

dando
11-11-10, 04:55 PM
So it's all your fault. You want to see it in December!!

:D Please, please, please, please.... (makes Elmo even more jealous) :D

-Kevin

dando
11-27-10, 10:12 AM
Still delayed....new window 12/17-12/20. Not gonna see it when we're in The World week after next. :( Perhaps a stop @ KSC to see it on the pad. :thumbup: In other news, it appears that an additional launch has been approved. True or false?

-Kevin

Elmo T
11-27-10, 05:56 PM
Perhaps a stop @ KSC to see it on the pad.
-Kevin

It's been a long time since we took the tour - 1996 I think.

We took the "Apollo" tour which took us out to 39A & 39B, one with a shuttle on the pad. We were able to get within a couple miles or so - which is closer than you think. :thumbup:

dando
11-27-10, 06:25 PM
It's been a long time since we took the tour - 1996 I think.

We took the "Apollo" tour which took us out to 39A & 39B, one with a shuttle on the pad. We were able to get within a couple miles or so - which is closer than you think. :thumbup:

Astro Orbiter re-opens from a refurb on Fri (plus there is the whole fairy M&G lottery thing....the girls want to see Vidia :()...otherwise I'd be all in for a stop @ KSC for the afternoon. I caught Discovery on the pad in Sept 1998 (first post=Challenger flight). That and the Saturn V & VAB == truly an awesome sight. :thumbup:

-Kevin

EDwardo
12-04-10, 05:35 PM
Now postponed until February.

dando
12-04-10, 05:47 PM
Now postponed until February.

Wow. That must be one messed up bird. :saywhat:

-Kevin

EDwardo
12-04-10, 06:50 PM
Wow. That must be one messed up bird. :saywhat:

-Kevin
Apparently the long delay is partially due to the next favorable launch window.

The launch team plans to conduct a fueling test by month's end — rigging the external tank with gauges and sensors, then loading it up — in hopes of cracking the elusive crack problem.
"Analysis can only get you so far," said shuttle program manager John Shannon. "It's time to go test."
Bill Gerstenmaier, head of NASA's space operations, said liftoff tentatively is set for around Feb. 3, the opening of the next practical launch window.

Gnam
02-16-11, 03:36 PM
February 24 is the new launch date.

JoeBob
02-16-11, 03:43 PM
I have no idea how I missed this thread! I've been following STS-133 closely, as part of NASA Tweetup. I was down at KSC for the first launch attempt, and I'll be back there again next week when she finally flies - watching from the countdown clock at the press site.

If you're interested in following along on Twitter, follow #nasatweetup - we won't have the cool tours (inside the VAB!) or demos (a cool show put on by Robonaut's twin) - with the possible exception of seeing the RSS retraction from 500 yards from the pad.

I have some cool pictures and video of people are interested in seeing them.

Also, Friday will be the day that a definate launch date is set. Early talk was that if ATV-2 launched today, STS-133 would be pushed back a day, but it is looking like that might not be the case.

dando
02-16-11, 03:47 PM
February 24 is the new launch date.

4:50pm with a short window (~10 minutes). Still debating on a trip down to catch it.

-Kevin

Indy
02-17-11, 02:06 AM
So is this the last shuttle launch?

Gnam
02-17-11, 03:46 AM
STS-133 will be the last mission for the shuttle Discovery.

STS-134 is the last mission that has funding and the last for shuttle Endeavour.

STS-135 is the last planned mission. It is authorized but not funded. If funding comes through, it will be the final mission. :(

...until Captain Kirk needs to borrow/steal the Enterprise again. ;)

JoeBob
02-22-11, 02:46 PM
Things are looking good for Discovery on Thursday. No significant issues at the pad. Weather is 80% GO for launch.

Here's a tweet that was just sent a few minutes ago from someone I know who works out on the pad:

There it is! Just got a GO to start flowing LOX into the orbiter. Fuel cell tank loading is underway!

It was pretty foggy out at the pad yesterday. Here's some cool pictures he took of the shuttle in the fog: http://www.flickr.com/photos/apacheman/sets/72157623009108290/

JoeBob
02-22-11, 02:49 PM
While I'm posting spacenerd goodness. If you haven't checked out this 45 minutes of high speed camera footage of shuttle ascent, set aside the time and watch. The first 5 minutes are a little slow, but after that, you'll be awestruck:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2VygftZSCs

Embedded, for people who don't want to click links:
W2VygftZSCs

pchall
02-22-11, 03:09 PM
Ok, it's clear now, it's a tank repair, so there is only one solution.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/post-jbweld.jpg

Mix it up, slap it on, let it dry and light the fuse :gomer:

JB Weld is good stuff but not that good. The best use I've found for it is as a Bondo reolacement when I grind down a rust blister to bare metal. It also fills those nasty plastic bumper cap parking lot gouges: scrape it clean, fill it up, carefully grind and sand it smioooooth. JB Weld!

Now if I could only get around to spraying the Dragon Pearl Green and clear coating the Passat's zits. She's 13 now and probably want Proactive and Mineral Magic more than the custom mixed color and a clear coat or two.

JoeBob
02-24-11, 08:57 AM
Weather has been upgraded to 90% GO! Tanking is under way.

Here's a picture I took last night out at the RSS retraction: http://twitpic.com/434weg

chop456
02-24-11, 02:41 PM
The wife gets in to Orlando at 7PM. D'oh!

dando
02-24-11, 04:18 PM
Weather has been upgraded to 90% GO! Tanking is under way.

Here's a picture I took last night out at the RSS retraction: http://twitpic.com/434weg

:irked: I am so jealous. :saywhat: :cool:

-Kevin

Gnam
02-24-11, 05:48 PM
T-2:00 minutes...:thumbup:

KLang
02-24-11, 05:56 PM
Go Baby!

SRB sep good!

dando
02-25-11, 09:09 AM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/us/news/editorial/1/3f/13f94e25c23bf7a9420b57ee6b92cb05.jpeg

Perhaps 2 to go. :(

Discovery already has 143 million miles to its credit, beginning with its first flight in 1984. By the time this mission ends, the shuttle will have tacked on another 4.5 million miles. And it will have spent 363 days in space and circled Earth 5,800 times when it returns March 7.

No other spacecraft has been launched so many times.

Discovery's list of achievements include delivering the Hubble Space Telescope to orbit, carrying the first Russian cosmonaut to launch on a U.S. spaceship, performing the first rendezvous with the Russian space station Mir with the first female shuttle pilot in the cockpit, returning Mercury astronaut John Glenn to orbit, and bringing shuttle flights back to life after the Challenger and Columbia accidents.

Discovery is expected to be eventually put on display by the Smithsonian Institution.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110224/ap_on_sc/us_space_shuttle

-Kevin

racer2c
02-25-11, 02:37 PM
SPACE.com: What's your fondest memory of Discovery? Or your fondest memory from Discovery's first flight?

Mike Coats: "Well, the fondest memory was after we landed and I got to hold my wife and kids again. That was a nice memory.

You know, because we climbed in four times before we finally launched, and we had the first pad abort and then fire on the launch pad, and it was all stretched out over two months. So when we finally lit the solid rocket boosters and we were really going, it was almost a feeling of relief. And for about 10 seconds you go, "Oh, thank heavens, we're going." And then you realize, "Oh, I better pay attention!"

I'll tell you, the feeling that is still so vivid in my mind is looking out the windows when you get into orbit, and looking at the Earth for the first time from space, and seeing this living planet.

The colors — the blues of the oceans, the greens, the browns — it's just obvious this is a living planet. And this living planet is going through this big, black void. That's the perfect word because there is nothing out there. The stars don't twinkle out there; they're just harsh points of light. And the whole time you feel like we've got to take care of Earth. The blackness of space and the bright living beauty of the Earth just amaze me, and I think they have the same effect on anyone who has been up there." Mike Coats was the pilot for the shuttle Discovery's very first mission

chop456
02-25-11, 02:37 PM
If you only count the main fuel tank and not the boosters, that comes out to a little better than 7.5mpg. Not bad for such a big vehicle. :D

dando
02-25-11, 02:58 PM
Gene Cernan doing the commentary on Fox News. I remember him doing the 'color' commentary for Columbia's launch in 1981 with Walter Cronkite. Somewhere I have audio recordings of that launch.

-Kevin

EDwardo
02-26-11, 02:13 PM
Discovery is scheduled to dock with the Space Station at about 1pm CST. I heard a report on NPR that when it docks, there will be a total of six spacecraft docked at the station including Discovery, a Japanese supply ship, an ESA supply ship, and 3 Russian capsules. The report also said that NASA and the Russians are considering doing a fly around in one of the Russian capsules to take photos of all the docked spacecraft.

Gnam
02-28-11, 08:57 PM
Retract the astronaut, HAL.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110228/ap_on_sc/us_space_shuttle_59

JoeBob
03-04-11, 04:55 PM
Here's my view of the launch:
BZG88Jzwgls

Insomniac
03-04-11, 05:19 PM
Your video reminded me that I did not share:

GE_USPTmYXM

dando
03-04-11, 05:27 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/dparfitt1/SpaceShuttleoverDisneyShip275485209.jpg

The launch over the Di$ney Dream (cruise booked for this December).

-Kevin

dando
03-09-11, 03:22 PM
Welcome back, Discovery! Quite a bittersweet day. :(

-Kevin

Gnam
03-09-11, 03:43 PM
GD cloud cover obscured both flyovers the past two days. :irked:

Hats off to NASA for keeping Discovery flying as long as it did. A whole year of it's 27 year service life spent in space. Amazing. :thumbup:

dando
03-09-11, 03:47 PM
GD cloud cover obscured both flyovers the past two days. :irked:

I hear ya. And they weren't @ 4am either. :saywhat:

-Kevin

JoeBob
03-10-11, 02:41 PM
Cloud cover obscured my chances to wave goodbye to her as well. Sad to think that the next time I see her, she'll be in a museum.

Endeavour rolls out tonight. If you're on Twitter, and want a chance to watch the launch from the media site, and be treated like a VIP for a few days, They are hosting another #nasatweetup for STS-134. Registration is from Noon Monday until Noon on Tuesday: http://www.nasa.gov/tweetup

Put your name into the hat, if you get picked, the experience WILL change your life!

nrc
03-10-11, 02:49 PM
I hate contests that require that I tweet anything or friend anyone.

chop456
03-10-11, 03:24 PM

If you friend me, you will win the greatest prize of any contest in the history of the universe.

My friendship. In electronic form. :D

dando
03-10-11, 07:42 PM

I swear if you friend me, there will be a check in the mail from a Nigerian bank.... :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
03-14-11, 12:58 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42072452/ns/technology_and_science-space/

A space shuttle technician fell to his death March 14 from a launch pad at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Fla.

The man, an employee of NASA contractor United Space Alliance, fell from an elevated level on Launch Pad 39A, where the space shuttle Endeavour is being prepped for launch, around 7:40 a.m. ET, the space agency said. He died shortly afterward.

"NASA emergency medical personnel did respond but they were unable to revive the man," NASA spokesman Allard Beutel told SPACE.com.

-Kevin

JoeBob
03-15-11, 10:49 AM
I know the guy who was first on the scene. Not a good day out at the pad. :-(

SurfaceUnits
03-15-11, 10:58 AM
America has to borrow $63 million dollars from China to pay the Russians for every astronaut Vladamir launces into space now