PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 questions

G.
10-31-10, 02:24 PM
Might do the xbox 360 purchase this season.

Any idea why a casual gaming family would want/need more than 4 GB of memory in the xbox? I have no idea what one would want to store on it. Can it be expanded later (if needed)?

Any good buzz on kinect?

Thanks.

racer2c
10-31-10, 02:49 PM
Might do the xbox 360 purchase this season.

Any idea why a casual gaming family would want/need more than 4 GB of memory in the xbox? I have no idea what one would want to store on it. Can it be expanded later (if needed)?

Any good buzz on kinect?

Thanks.

The local mall had a very impressive Kinect display. I spend 15 minutes or so with a nice young lady who showed me all the bells and whistles. I like that you can control video (Netflix streams, DVD etc) with hand motions! The games are aimed at completing with the Wii, so very much a party game genre. I played ping pong and it worked surprisingly well.

I have the 100gig Elite and have 98% free. Unless you purchase movies and store them on the harddrive...4G will suffice.

The F1 2010 rocks.

WickerBill
10-31-10, 04:31 PM
Get the hard drive. All of your game saves will be on the hard drive, and you can "install" games onto the hard drive vs. having them load from the disc all the time. This means your DVD drive lasts longer and your games load faster. (You still have to have the disc in the drive to play the game, but it doesn't spin the whole time you're playing).

Trevor Longman
11-01-10, 08:18 AM
If you want any sort of decent racing game or really any seriously good title then buy a PS3 instead. The game lineup is much much better and the best racing games are all on PS3. Plus, you don't have to pay $50/year to access the online features, or pay another $100 for the wi fi adapter. It's just an all around better system. Also, the PS3 doubles as a blu ray player which the 360 doesn't. I know you may not need a blu ray player now but down the road instead of shelling out for another device you will already have one.

racer2c
11-01-10, 10:03 AM
If you want any sort of decent racing game or really any seriously good title then buy a PS3 instead. The game lineup is much much better and the best racing games are all on PS3. Plus, you don't have to pay $50/year to access the online features, or pay another $100 for the wi fi adapter. It's just an all around better system. Also, the PS3 doubles as a blu ray player which the 360 doesn't. I know you may not need a blu ray player now but down the road instead of shelling out for another device you will already have one.

:rofl: Where to begin. Forza has owned GT since it debuted and all other race games are available on both. As for games in general, there are few platform specific games (worth a crap) any more outside of God of War, Grand Tourismo and the Resistance franchises for the PS3 and Gears of War, Halo and Forza franchises for the 360. The latter being the more critically acclaimed.

$5 a month for an online experience that Xbox Live offers is worth every penny. Especially if you're into the juggernaut, Call of Duty games. There is no substitute.

I never used wi-fi on the 360...got the fat pipe plugged right in...no lag. Wi-fi in multiplayer games means...you lose.

Its my understanding that the PS3 is a capable BluRay player (it should be coming from Sony). A recent Game Informer magazine had a stat that claims the majority of gamers actually own both systems. I assume the PS3 for BluRay and the 360 for Live. The 360 controller rules BTW. :)

Insomniac
11-01-10, 01:36 PM

Not going to get into the middle of a war, but all the 360 models have built in Wi-Fi now.

Trevor Longman
11-01-10, 02:24 PM
I really don't want to start anything beyond where this has already gone but I really just think that GT is a much better game than Forza, simply because they actually care. GT is a labor of love and the guys behind it actually care about cars. Forza just seems like they're doing the same thing every time just so they can be sure that they make their Holiday deadline. There's a reason GT5 has taken so long to develop. It's because they've been busy implementing weather effects and day/night change and 1000 highly detailed cars and 100 beautiful tracks and interior views that are actually usable. 6 more months of development time would have served forza 3 well, but they didn't do that because they knew that they would make more money releasing it at Christmas instead of making tbd best game they could. That might be more Microsoft's fault than turn 10's though.

BTW, the 360 controller is way better. Haha

WickerBill
11-01-10, 05:31 PM
Oh my word, PS3 fanboys still exist?? The 360 is a great machine, XBox Live is absolutely incredible and worth every penny, and all but the games listed above are available on both consoles.

I know some turn 10 people, and they care about cars more than you can possibly imagine. I think it's a lot more valuable to actually, you know, get an extraordinarily fun game to market every so often than to delay your game so much that it becomes a running joke on the internet.

But hey, the ps3 plays blu-rays

Andrew Longman
11-01-10, 05:50 PM
Do either the ps3 or xbox do homework, mow the lawn, vacuum, pick up your sister at band practice, or empty the dishwasher?

Just checking. :tony:

G.
11-01-10, 06:36 PM
Do either the ps3 or xbox do homework, mow the lawn, vacuum, pick up your sister at band practice, or empty the dishwasher?

They can be used to encourage such behavior. :D

Besides, if you get the kinect, you get to watch your kids dance around like idiots, only on purpose. That's gotta be worth something, right?

I'm still hard-pressed to drop another c-note for memory that I'm not sure I'd ever use...

(also, the current bundles with the kinect appear to only come with the 4 GB units)

Insomniac
11-01-10, 06:52 PM
They can be used to encourage such behavior. :D

Besides, if you get the kinect, you get to watch your kids dance around like idiots, only on purpose. That's gotta be worth something, right?

I'm still hard-pressed to drop another c-note for memory that I'm not sure I'd ever use...

(also, the current bundles with the kinect appear to only come with the 4 GB units)

There should be a 250 GB Kinect bundle/model.

nrc
11-01-10, 07:40 PM
I haven't paid for online gaming since I canceled my GEnie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEnie) account. :gomer:

oddlycalm
11-02-10, 04:31 AM

No, but I have heard of an aftermarket accessory called the Cheerleader All night which comes with a deep draw marine battery and a funny looking controller....:eek:

oc

racer2c
11-02-10, 09:18 AM
I really don't want to start anything beyond where this has already gone but I really just think that GT is a much better game than Forza, simply because they actually care. GT is a labor of love and the guys behind it actually care about cars. Forza just seems like they're doing the same thing every time just so they can be sure that they make their Holiday deadline. There's a reason GT5 has taken so long to develop. It's because they've been busy implementing weather effects and day/night change and 1000 highly detailed cars and 100 beautiful tracks and interior views that are actually usable. 6 more months of development time would have served forza 3 well, but they didn't do that because they knew that they would make more money releasing it at Christmas instead of making tbd best game they could. That might be more Microsoft's fault than turn 10's though.

BTW, the 360 controller is way better. Haha

We're lucky that we have choices. How cool is that?! Also, it appears there is a market for each, kinda strange considering that they are all now very close in abilities. I hope you'll give us an in depth review of your take on GT5. The shifter karts look intriguing!!

WickerBill
11-30-10, 06:17 PM
Posting this for Trevor: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/30/gran-turismo-5-review/

I definitely *would* like to kart though.