PDA

View Full Version : I know political thread are verbotten but...

TrueBrit
10-31-10, 01:11 PM
...sweet jeebus is anyone as sick to the back-teeth as me with these ads?? Fer feck's sake ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

KLang
10-31-10, 01:17 PM
Dish DVR's and 30 second skip. What ads? :)

TKGAngel
10-31-10, 01:18 PM
TV/radio stations will keep airing political ads as long as the mediums are still around. It's cash in hand for the station when the order is booked. Part of the reason that it seems like there's so many more commercials is that political ads bump traditional advertisers because politicals can/will pay more per ad aired, especially as you get closer to the election.

I'd just settle for an end to political telemarketing. It's annoying as all heck.

dando
10-31-10, 01:25 PM
I'd just settle for an end to political telemarketing. It's annoying as all heck.

You might see a phone flying in orbit the next robo call I receive. I have come up with the strategy that when there is a pregnant pause after I say hello, it's a robo call and I immediately hang up. Of course the downside is that I sometimes get a callback from the wife asking me why I keep hanging up on her. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

TravelGal
10-31-10, 01:57 PM
You might see a phone flying in orbit the next robo call I receive. I have come up with the strategy that when there is a pregnant pause after I say hello, it's a robo call and I immediately hang up. Of course the downside is that I sometimes get a callback from the wife asking me why I keep hanging up on her. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

As long as it's not the wife that's pregnant. :D

This is the time of year when caller ID is worth its weight in gold.

Methanolandbrats
10-31-10, 02:01 PM
As long as it's not the wife that's pregnant. :D

This is the time of year when caller ID is worth its weight in gold.

I never answer any number I don't recognize.

WickerBill
10-31-10, 02:02 PM
I think *this* political thread is one where we will all agree. The ads on TV are awful and I can't wait for 6pm Tuesday.

devilmaster
10-31-10, 02:15 PM
Being a former politico, a part of me does enjoy watching these commercials for the complete lack of information from both sides.... especially when competing commercials are placed back to back.

We just finished municipal elections here in Ontario, and i'm not sure how pervasive it is in American politics during your midterm elections, but the 'phone town hall' is the next big thing coming down the pike.

They have the ability to call about a thousand numbers a minute, when you pick up you hear a recorded msg from the candidate asking you if you want to join in, hang on the phone. They do a radio show with hundreds if not thousands of people listening in. You want to ask a question? press '2' where a call screener will take your question and feed it to the moderator....

At the end of it, they'll ask you: if you'll vote for this candidate, press 1, not going to vote for him press 2, still unsure press 3, not voting at all press 4. The data the candidate gets from this is immense.

Vote yes, and expect a signage call, and support calls on voting day.

For the candidate - if you say no to them or not voting, then they don't have to send you any more info, and save themselves some cash.

Unsure? Then you're on their target list.

And the cost of this to the candidate? perhaps in the 10 cent per household called range... You can save alot of money by not wasting other resources and also it gives better data back than simple tv/radio/print ads.

The new mayor of Toronto used this system extensively, and also feedback from people on it gave him his slogans for the campaign which he used to great effect.

cameraman
10-31-10, 02:22 PM
6PM? You're lucky, our polls are open until 8PM. Two more hours of ads for us.

I must say that since I watch just about everything via the DVR I really have not seen a single political ad. That plus nobody thought to put political ads in F1 races on Speed.

I've become quite good at avoiding them, I even had to go looking for a couple to see what all the controversy was about. They were enough to make me want to move to... well hell there is no place on the planet devoid of politics:flame:

EDwardo
10-31-10, 02:29 PM
One thing I have noticed this time around is that the ads never mention the party of the candidate. But since both parties have a predictable list of buzz words and phrases it is pretty easy to tell which is which.

G.
10-31-10, 02:35 PM
when you have a close race or four, you get nailed hard with ads. Not a single one is positive, most of them mention their opponent more than themselves.

I did a phone townhall once a year or two ago, but it wasn't during the election cycle (I don't think, she was a shoe-in regardless). I thought it was pretty cool, but having been cold-called, there just weren't a lot of questions from the audience.

If there were opt-in townhalls, I might actually do them.

racer2c
10-31-10, 02:50 PM
I don't watch much TV so the commercials don't bother me...it's the 15 messages on my answering machine I had ...just yesterday!!

TKGAngel
10-31-10, 02:50 PM
I think *this* political thread is one where we will all agree. The ads on TV are awful and I can't wait for 6pm Tuesday.

6pm? Polls close at 9pm here.

I also want to mention that because it's the midterms, that ABC/CBS/NBC are throwing their traditional programming out the window on Tuesday night to review the election results.

Indy
10-31-10, 10:10 PM
I think I could be a lot less irritated by all this if everyone would just give up their stupid ideas and simply agree with me. :gomer:

cameraman
10-31-10, 10:22 PM
I think I could be a lot less irritated by all this if everyone would just give up their stupid ideas and simply agree with me. :gomer:

No. You're wrong they should agree with Me.:tony:

opinionated ow
10-31-10, 10:39 PM
I hate political advertising! Luckily we have a three day rule-three days from the election all forms of political advertising must cease. I don't even think they're allowed to ring you up from that point (Thursday at 0000 hours).

oddlycalm
11-01-10, 03:07 AM
3X fast forward on the DVR is the best A/V defense. Out here in the rainy province we vote by mail and as soon as your ballot is received in the calls cease, so there is an incentive to vote early.

oc

Insomniac
11-01-10, 01:32 PM
It seems to be worse than usual this year. A result of more corporate money?

cameraman
11-01-10, 01:58 PM
Hell were even have rich knobs making their own ads in support of whomever without even asking whomever if it is okay or even correct:saywhat:

Gnam
11-01-10, 02:13 PM
Not a single one is positive, most of them mention their opponent more than themselves.

CANDIDATE X IS A TEXAS CHAINSAW MURDERER!

-from an old SNL skit :D

Andrew Longman
11-01-10, 04:10 PM
One advantage of living in a state without any of its own media (except three dying newspapers and a few radio stations), in between two of the most expensive media markets in the nation (NYC and Philly), is few politicians are able or willing to spend money on TV ads. Even PA and NY political races get relatively little TV ad time.

And now that everyone in the family has a mobile, if the house land line rings at all there is a good chance no one will even move to check the caller ID because it is almost certainly to be a telemarketer.

I do feel for those of you elsewhere. It sounds as if it makes watching any TV at all about the same as watching Olbermann or O'Reilly on every channel at every hour on every day. Actually, probably worse.

dando
11-01-10, 04:52 PM
I do feel for those of you elsewhere. It sounds as if it makes watching any TV at all about the same as watching Olbermann or O'Reilly on every channel at every hour on every day. Actually, probably worse.

Actually if you make a drinking game out of it, TV watching is pretty bearable. ;) Especially handy while watching the Bungles. :saywhat:

-Kevin

G.
11-02-10, 01:57 PM
Washington State residents: How did you vote?

Assigned Number: 1069
Filed: 02/01/2010

Sponsors
Mr. James E. Vaughn

Public Contact Information:
<<< I edited this out. G.>>>

Ballot Title
Statement of Subject: Initiative Measure No. 1069 concerns the state seal.

Concise Description: This measure would require the Washington State Seal to depict a tapeworm attached to a taxpayer’s intestine, encircled by the words: Committed to sucking the life blood out of each and every taxpayer.

Should this measure be enacted into law? Yes [ ] No [ ]

Ballot Measure Summary
This measure would require the Seal of the State of Washington to be changed to depict a vignette of a tapeworm dressed in a three piece suit attached to the lower intestine of a taxpayer shown as the central figure. The seal would be required to be encircled with the following words: “Committed to sucking the life blood out of each and every tax payer.” The illustration would be selected from submissions submitted by taxpayers.

:rofl:

Don Quixote
11-02-10, 04:53 PM
I don't thonk I have ever seen a tapeworm wearing a 3-piece suit. Wait, oh I guess maybe I have.

KLang
11-03-10, 06:36 AM
The ads for 2012 start today! ;):saywhat:

dando
11-03-10, 09:14 AM
The ads for 2012 start today! ;):saywhat:

I was actually thinking that last night as the election coverage wrapped up...the 2012 campaign begins today. :saywhat: :shakehead :mad:

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-03-10, 09:26 AM
Could we just get everyone to agree to air one ad?

The other person sucks, I will do better, trust me.

Elmo T
11-03-10, 09:44 AM
I will miss the "I am NOT a witch, I'm you" ads... :saywhat:

extramundane
11-03-10, 11:24 AM
I was actually thinking that last night as the election coverage wrapped up...the 2012 campaign begins today. :saywhat: :shakehead :mad:

Only 460 Days 'til the Iowa Caucuses!

/sticks head in oven

Insomniac
11-03-10, 01:51 PM
Only 460 Days 'til the Iowa Caucuses!

/sticks head in oven

Debates will start in January, right?

Opposite Lock
11-04-10, 11:03 PM
I will miss the "I am NOT a witch, I'm you" ads... :saywhat:

I feel your pain:
44mqiBrB0zI&feature=player_embedded

:cry:

:(

:rofl:

:thumbup:

nrc
11-05-10, 09:56 AM
Now they all just need to go pick up their signs.

Since the election is over this can only go wrong from here on out. Time to close.