PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

WickerBill
10-28-10, 06:58 PM
It is probably time for me to join the 2000s and start with the streaming video/movies instead of using Redbox and paying out the nose for DirecTV Ultimate. But I'm trying to come up to speed and don't know a lot.

1. Should I buy a Roku XDS? Or some other streamer?

2. Is the Netflix streaming selection really poor? Are there better options? (I'm surprised to see that the LoTR trilogy, for instance, isn't available to stream according to their "browse selection" website)

3. What do you use?

nrc
10-28-10, 07:37 PM
You should dump the evil DirecTV, get a proper TiVo and use that. :gomer:

We don't have Netflix because we don't routinely do enough movies in a month to make it worthwhile. For the two or three we rent every few months we use Amazon. I prefer Amazon with TiVo because it's a download instead of a stream. That means consistently good video quality and no rebuffering. You just have to start it a few minutes ahead (depending on your download speed). Note that Amazon does stream on devices like the Roku, though.

For player options you should look at what you already have and consider your other future needs. Do you have an gaming console that offers Netflix? Do you have a BluRay player and if not would a player with Netflix fit the bill?

For movies (especially HD movies), Amazon seems to have a better selection than Netflix.

racer2c
10-28-10, 08:31 PM
We've used Netflix for 2 years now. I enjoy that I can get my BluRay without having to shell out $30 a pop.

I occasionally stream through my Xbox 360 but the selection is horrid (unless you're a teen who enjoys C class horror movies...or a non teen who likes C class horror movies. ;)).

The CEO of Netflix said last week that they are a streaming content provider that also just happens to ship DVD's to people. BS! Until they start getting new releases on their 'Watch Now' list...he's full of it. It's supposed to happen soon, but there are hurdles in dealing with the DVD companies and the studios. I'll believe it when I see it.
The HD streamed movies are of decent compression, but not 1080p.

WickerBill
10-28-10, 08:39 PM
nrc, I'm addicted to the Sunday Ticket. I can watch my Broncos get demolished in historic fashion at Mile High by their arch-rivals even though I live in Indianapolis. So, DirecTV for now.

We have a 360 hooked up to the giant TV in the basement, so we can stream Netflix down there, but I would need something upstairs on the TV that is watched 80% of the time. That's why I was considering the Roku.

Talk to me about Amazon on Demand... pay per movie or monthly charge? Netflix unlimited streaming is $8/mo now, so it seems pretty unbeatable (unless the C class movies only charge is true).

racer2c
10-28-10, 09:54 PM
Talk to me about Amazon on Demand... pay per movie or monthly charge? Netflix unlimited streaming is $8/mo now, so it seems pretty unbeatable (unless the C class movies only charge is true).

Remains to be seen. As of today you can't stream new releases like 'How to Train your Dragon', 'Get Him to the Greek' or 'Kick Ass'. I don't mind a bit of a delay (maybe 2 weeks) but it seems like the Netflix streaming has about a five year delay. Supposed to change soon though they keep saying.

Ed_Severson
10-28-10, 10:05 PM
I've been using Netflix for the last year or so ... basically since my son was born and I had ample opportunity to sit at home and stare at the TV all day.

I can't argue with anything said so far. If you're willing to deal with the mailing times, they have a pretty decent selection of movies, but the streaming options are limited, to say the least. As mentioned, that's supposed to be getting better at some point, though I've yet to see it happen.

For TV shows, though, I think it's pretty handy, although again the streaming options are significantly fewer than disc-driven ones. For example, a while back I finally got around to starting "Dexter" and was able to watch the first 2 seasons online in about 30 hours. Starting with season 3 it was disc only, so seasons 3 and 4 took me about a month to see.

nrc
10-29-10, 01:24 AM
nrc, I'm addicted to the Sunday Ticket. I can watch my Broncos get demolished in historic fashion at Mile High by their arch-rivals even though I live in Indianapolis. So, DirecTV for now.

Your humiliation is incomplete unless it's suffered publicly in a sports bar. Just sayin.

A lot of folks love Roku. I personally prefer not having separate pieces of gear where it's not necessary, so I would consider BluRay players like this one that have Netflix and Amazon built in. (disclaimer: I don't have this so I'm not recommending it specifically)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WS4CA

Amazon is pay-per-movie. Movie rentals are from $3 for older SD movies to $5 for new release HD movies. Once you rent you have 30 days to start watching. Once you start watching you have it for a day.

Amazon also has "purchase" downloads where you can watch it as often as you want. The caveat there is that your "purchase" is still subject to their license terms. So if Warner Brothers says they can't stream Iron Man in November because it's showing exclusively on HBO then you can't watch your "purchase". I would never purchase a DRM download, let alone a stream with those kind of restrictions.

The main advantage for Amazon on streaming players is selection. Fortunately most players have Amazon as well as Netflix, so you have the option of Amazon rentals for stuff that Netflix doesn't have.

Andrew Longman
10-29-10, 08:39 AM
I do Direct TV because it beats my evil cable company but don't ro movies with them.

If I want movies I get them for free from the library. If I want to download a movie I do it through Trevor's playstation thingy and that works great. My library will soon have downloads for free too.

Rogue Leader
10-29-10, 09:03 AM
I generally agree with much that has been said about Netflix Streaming. I have it on my PS3, It works pretty well and now on PS3 supports 1080p and 5.1 which is nice. OCCASIONALLY you will get a sort of first run movie (like right now they have The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Bad Lieutenant off the top of my head). They have a good selection of classics... and a whole lot of less than B horror and sci-fi movies. You generally can always find something to watch that you may enjoy, its just a matter of not being able to find things that you really want to watch (like first run films). Also some sort of first run movies rotate in and out like when they are on Starz, so they are available for like a 3 month period.

I'll put it this way, I feel like I pay for the Blu-Ray discs I get weekly in the mail, and this is a bonus feature. I probably wouldn't pay for it if I wasn't getting the Blu-Ray discs as well.

TrueBrit
10-29-10, 09:28 AM
I have used Netflix for about a year now and love it. In order to deal with the delivery lag time I upgraded the plan to the 2-disc at a time dealio and now keep the movies etc in a rotation that minimizes the downtime. I also use the streaming as well. There are alot of movies on there that never got major market exposure but are available to stream whenever you want. The picture quality depends on age of the movie/tv show.

For the $14 bucks a month I pay I think I get really good value for money.

I would LOVE to dump my cable company, bastards do nothing but raise my rates and not offer the right channels in HD (I apparently need Green TV in HD but not FoxSoccerChannelHD or BBCAmericaHD...really?:shakehead) but I haven't pulled the trigger yet...

If I were to switch it would be to Dish so I could watch the cricket (and it's not owned by Rupert ****ing Murdoch:mad:)

dando
10-29-10, 10:04 AM
I've been a Netflix customer since they started doing bidness in 1999, so I've seen the good the bad and the ugly from them. I stream through a Tivo S3 and have generally had good results. Keep in mind that I have a hardwired LAN connection, so I'm not using a WiFi adapter. Tivo has Amazon, but I haven't used it yet for the reason nrc stated (but I do have a credit for a flick, so I'll try it sometime). Tivo also has Pandora now, which is all kinds of awesome. :thumbup: The only problem with Netflix is they sold their soul to the devil in order to get more streaming content from the likes of Time Warner. Disc rentals from some studios are now delayed 30 days so they could gain access to more content. Problem is it really hasn't increased the streaming inventory.

http://www.businessinsider.com/netflixs-inventory-of-streaming-content-isnt-growing-fast-enough-2010-10

What's even more sad is that TWC uses the fact that new releases are delayed on Netflix to promote their On Demand offerings. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-29-10, 08:11 PM
Seems like you could downgrade to Total Choice, take all those savings and get Netflix, keep using Redbox and get a couple foot long subs. ;)

Also, when you call to dowgrade they'll offer you free something.

WickerBill
10-30-10, 12:47 PM
I bought into the single-disc Netflix (actually 1 month free, cancel anytime, so I haven't exactly "bought in"). Streamed some on the 360 last night and it streamed and looked great.

How quickly will my first disc come? I can't find ETA listed anywhere in my "queue".

Also, nobody has a Roku? I figured in this group someone would have experience. I think I'm gonna get one and then I can review it for all ya'll.

Insomniac
10-30-10, 01:14 PM
How quickly will my first disc come? I can't find ETA listed anywhere in my "queue".

The last time I had Netflix it was supposed to be a day or 2 from when they ship. They have distribution centers all over the country so they probably don't provide an exact time frame. I'd say they came pretty much like that.

dando
10-30-10, 04:58 PM
I bought into the single-disc Netflix (actually 1 month free, cancel anytime, so I haven't exactly "bought in"). Streamed some on the 360 last night and it streamed and looked great.

Also, nobody has a Roku? I figured in this group someone would have experience. I think I'm gonna get one and then I can review it for all ya'll.

Usually shipped the day of arrival of your return, and there a day or two after. We have a local distro center, so ours arrive pronto (mail Mon, returned received Tues, new disc Wed). Generally I find that if I return a disc on Sat, I have new release DVDs on Tues...unless it's one of the embargoed titles. :irked: :saywhat: I don't anyone with a Roku, but I have read generally good reviews about it. Frankly the streaming library just wasn't compelling until I got the Tivo, and to some extent it still is (but it is getting better).

-Kevin

Steve99
11-02-10, 07:38 PM
I have a friend who has one of the original Roku boxes and has been very happy with it.

I prefer to use a BluRay player for streaming, rather than have another box. I also have an Xbox360, but prefer the BluRay player because the controls are more natural.

nissan gtp
11-03-10, 08:06 PM
Just signed up for the one-month intro plan... streamed a Battlestar Galactica episode to the wii as a test, and it worked just fine.
This innernet thing may catch on one day.

dando
01-28-11, 01:54 PM
Neflix reports huge earnings and ISP streaming data:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20029794-261.html?tag=topStories1

AT&T sucks. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-29-11, 01:43 PM
Neflix reports huge earnings and ISP streaming data:

AT&T sucks. :thumdown:

-Kevin

I imagine the majority of their customers are on DSL. While the speeds are "guaranteed", they aren't all that fast - 768k to 6m. Cable gets the big burst speeds from having a shared network.

JLMannin
07-16-11, 10:17 PM
Rather than starting a new Roku thread, I did a search and found this. I am considering firing my cable company and going streaming. I already have a Netflix account (currently streaming and 1 DVD at a time), and am considering adding HuluPlus and buying a Roku. I live close enough to Indianapolis that I can attach a wire to my antenna leads and pull in the over the air stations.

Anyone on OC have a Roku yet? Anyone fired their cable/dish company and went over the air and internet only? I am finding it quite difficult to spend ~90/mo for cable TV.

cameraman
07-16-11, 10:58 PM

The numbers are complete and utter ********. It is an average of the people using an isp who use netflix. Well guess what, if you internet service isn't fast enough to stream movies then you won't use netflix and so your speed won't be included in their math. It is a stupid and utterly useless chart.

Rogue Leader
07-17-11, 12:25 AM
Tonight sealed the deal that I'm definitely cancelling the Netflix streaming service unless they suddenly throw in a TON of new movies. I realized I've seen almost everything that I actually want to see that is on there. Me and my girlfriend looked through movies for literally 1/2 hour and found nothing we wanted to watch.

Thanks for making the decision easier for me netflix.

trish
07-17-11, 11:57 AM
They won't make any changes until September 1, so I'm just going to wait and see and enjoy online streaming as much as I can in the time left.

WickerBill
07-18-11, 06:52 AM
JLMannin - you should wait:

Roku2 coming very soon (http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/17/roku-2-launch-could-be-just-around-the-corner/)

WickerBill
07-20-11, 08:19 AM
It has been released (http://www.roku.com/roku-products).

chop456
09-16-11, 06:12 AM
Netflix stock plunges as subscribers quit (http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/15/technology/netflix/?iref=NS1)

I noticed it getting smashed yesterday but didn't know why. Figured it was an earnings estimate. Guess not. :gomer:

trish
09-19-11, 06:53 AM
Email I just got

Dear trish,

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.

Really, I've just been to lazy to make a change. If I do make changes, it will probably be to stick with streaming only and drop the mailings.

WickerBill
09-19-11, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a spinoff / sale is about to happen to the DVD by mail business. Which will give them even less leverage to negotiate with the studios for streaming.

Ed_Severson
09-19-11, 07:59 AM
I got that email too. I made it this far ...
It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

... and then it was tl;dr time and I ceased giving a ****. Seriously, dude ... we knew this was coming down the pike several months ago, you're getting lambasted in the press and losing thousands upon thousands of customers, and your response to that is to write me a love novel to tell me "I don't regret it at all, and by the way we're renaming half of the company. Aren't you excited?"

Whatever.

Rogue Leader
09-19-11, 09:09 AM
The best part of that letter, hes apologizing and almost indicating like maybe they will "make it right" but instead all they are doing is changing a name and actually making it worse! Why? because he mentions integration between Netflix and Quikster's websites won't be there, which means if I look up a movie on Quikster I won't see that its available on Streaming, I'll have to actually go to the Netflix site to search again. Also when looking through my DVD/Blu-Ray queue I won't see the little "Play" button next to movies that have been put on to streaming.

Thanks Netflix you just made it worse now.

dando
09-19-11, 09:25 AM
:shakehead You just can't make this stuff up. :saywhat: On top of this, I still haven't received the e-mail.

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
09-19-11, 10:37 AM
Some good tweets today about this topic.

@Blockbuster: Dear Netflix, we’re offering special prices & 30-day trials of Blockbuster Total Access to your members

An apology email ends w/ "we're giving you some of your money back" not "we're going to show up twice on your credit card LOL" (@Netflix)

Imagine if @Netflix and Qwikster combined services... unlimited DVD rentals and streaming. Now THAT would be awesome.

"Qwikster" sounds like the name of the ghost of every c. 2001 tech bubble company that went under. Really, great job @Netflix!

I mean, do what you're going to do, but don't pretend you're apologizing & don't be so whiny about it. #Netflix

#dearnetflix Too late. Goodbye Qwikster. I Quitster.

Also, the Twitter handle @Qwikster is owned by a guy who chose this for his profile photo:

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1331389093/elmo.gif

Nice branding work, fellas. :tony:

TrueBrit
09-19-11, 12:28 PM
I dumped them as soon as I got the e-mail telling me they wanted to double the price on me for no valid reason whatsoever.

This decision may go down as one of the worst business moves since the introduction of 'New' Coke...

And really, 'Quickster' was the very best their marketing department could come up with? :shakehead

They never had the new release DVD's I wanted to watch and their streaming library was less then impressive..

dando
09-19-11, 01:53 PM
Some good tweets today about this topic.

@Blockbuster: Dear Netflix, we’re offering special prices & 30-day trials of Blockbuster Total Access to your members

An apology email ends w/ "we're giving you some of your money back" not "we're going to show up twice on your credit card LOL" (@Netflix)

Imagine if @Netflix and Qwikster combined services... unlimited DVD rentals and streaming. Now THAT would be awesome.

"Qwikster" sounds like the name of the ghost of every c. 2001 tech bubble company that went under. Really, great job @Netflix!

I mean, do what you're going to do, but don't pretend you're apologizing & don't be so whiny about it. #Netflix

#dearnetflix Too late. Goodbye Qwikster. I Quitster.

Also, the Twitter handle @Qwikster is owned by a guy who chose this for his profile photo:

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1331389093/elmo.gif

Nice branding work, fellas. :tony:

That's what they were doing when they thought up this strategy. I was going to hang on for the 2 disc and streaming plans (paying less than I do now, mind you), but this may be the last straw. I've tested Red Box, but it's just not compelling. What's a fellow to do?

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
09-19-11, 02:36 PM
Obviously taking advice from the strategy team behind the "Kmart/Big K" turnaround. :gomer:

indyfan31
09-19-11, 03:21 PM
I got that email too. I made it this far ...

... and then it was tl;dr time and I ceased giving a ****. Seriously, dude ... we knew this was coming down the pike several months ago, you're getting lambasted in the press and losing thousands upon thousands of customers, and your response to that is to write me a love novel to tell me "I don't regret it at all, and by the way we're renaming half of the company. Aren't you excited?"

Whatever.

I started reading Trish's letter and stopped at exactly the same spot. The rest is just spin.

Gnam
09-19-11, 07:24 PM
worse!
+1
:shakehead

Insomniac
09-19-11, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a spinoff / sale is about to happen to the DVD by mail business. Which will give them even less leverage to negotiate with the studios for streaming.

I'm one of the few who thinks it's a smart move from a purely disruptive market standpoint. The execution is horrible. You "apologize" and then make it worse? He should've stuck to not communicating or made the entire move at once. Was it panic for the heavily negative move Wall St. made (huge overreaction) or was this planned out?

Unchaining the two businesses is the smart move, but how they've gone about it has been abrupt and terrible to their customers. Some don't care, but others first saw a $6 price hike from when they saw the service as DVDs by mail + $2 for streaming or a streaming service + $2 for DVDs by mail. Now they see the user experience get worse. Should've separated the businesses to begin with, offered a temporary discount over a period of time ($6 for 3 months, $4 for 3 months, $2 for 3 months then $0) for bundling the two together.

dando
09-19-11, 08:36 PM
I'm one of the few who thinks it's a smart move from a purely disruptive market standpoint. The execution is horrible. You "apologize" and then make it worse? He should've stuck to not communicating or made the entire move at once. Was it panic for the heavily negative move Wall St. made (huge overreaction) or was this planned out?

Unchaining the two businesses is the smart move, but how they've gone about it has been abrupt and terrible to their customers. Some don't care, but others first saw a $6 price hike from when they saw the service as DVDs by mail + $2 for streaming or a streaming service + $2 for DVDs by mail. Now they see the user experience get worse. Should've separated the businesses to begin with, offered a temporary discount over a period of time ($6 for 3 months, $4 for 3 months, $2 for 3 months then $0) for bundling the two together.

Sorry, but this is a classic Underwear Gnome strategy:

1. Increase prices
2. ???
3. Make profit

This is called a sucker punch. Their streaming business is worse off w/the loss of Starz, they increase prices 60% and then totally disrupt the user experience by separating the queues and sites. Not to mention the idiotic corp communications, which is beyond incompetence. I've been a member since 12/99 and have been through their stupidity before (how they defeated Wally World and Blockbuster is beyond me), but I understood the growing pains, etc. They should have gotten more bang for the buck when they sold out to the studios to delay new DVD releases by 30 days (which is now being used against them by the likes of TWC, DTV, etc for OnDemand flick). I get the concept to move or be eaten (been there, done that), but this is so beyond stupid. :irked:

-Kevin

dando
09-19-11, 08:40 PM
And I've still yet to receive the e-mail, but I get the survey e-mails about streaming quality and DVD receipt dates. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

RTKar
09-19-11, 08:53 PM
I dumped them as soon as I got the e-mail telling me they wanted to double the price on me for no valid reason whatsoever.

This decision may go down as one of the worst business moves since the introduction of 'New' Coke...

And really, 'Quickster' was the very best their marketing department could come up with? :shakehead

They never had the new release DVD's I wanted to watch and their streaming library was less then impressive..

Ummm.... the irl :tony:

extramundane
09-20-11, 11:54 AM
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix :thumbup:

Gnam
09-20-11, 12:16 PM
:D

Maybe all MBA programs should use comic books instead of text books.

racer2c
09-20-11, 03:29 PM
"I suspect we in our household are like a lot of Netflix subscribers.

We were on the “Oh, yeah, I forgot I was subscribing to that” plan. With the “Honey, we’ve had this National Geographic documentary DVD for two months — are we really going to watch it, or should we just send it back?” option.

Then, in July, Netflix NFLX -7.30% tried to jack up the price of our subscription. Bad move. Why? Because it meant we noticed our subscription.

And so we cut it. It was only a few bucks. But there gets to be a point where you just get fed up leaking money at every pore.

*snip*

Who benefited? Anyone selling stock during that period.

Prominent among them is Reed Hastings, the Netflix founder and CEO. Yes, he’s been selling stock for years. But in January he announced a new plan to dump stock, under the automated “10b5” rules.

According to an analysis of public filings by InsiderScore, he’s cashed out about $41 million since, at an average price of $236.

In other words, by curious coincidence, the profits he’s made selling this stock are almost as much as the company has lost buying it."

Link (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-netflix-doomed-2011-09-19?pagenumber=1)

dando
09-20-11, 04:27 PM
Stock getting hammered yet again today. Down $13+ (~10%)

EDIT: Also a friend I had lunch with today mentioned that the split was being driven partially (if not totally) by issues with Nielsen numbers reporting. DVD numbers being included with streaming ad sales, which fudged the numbers.

-Kevin

trish
09-26-11, 02:29 AM
Has anyone tried Amazon Prime?

KLang
09-26-11, 08:41 AM

I have not but if you are interested wait a couple weeks. The new Kindle/tablet is expected to be announced in mid October and it is supposed to include Amazon Prime. Not sure if it is permanent or just a year subscription.

Edit: Amazon press conference set for September 28.

EVL29
09-26-11, 04:34 PM

I get Amazon Prime and Netflix and watch them through my Roku box. Both are about equal in quality though Netflix has way more of a selection.

As far as the complaints about Netflix streaming and content,I find it is actually pretty good. Not a lot of new Blockbusters(though I did see "G.I. Joe" and "Skyline"),but a lot of TV series,action films,foreign movies(not just arty stuff either) as well as second tier movies that I haven't always heard of are available. I get HBO for the new hits.

mapguy
09-27-11, 11:55 AM
Netflix in Canada sux. I have been in conenience stores with a better selection of movies. No Star Wars or Star Trek? No Spider-Man or Iron Man? Gimme a break. Cancelled subscription. When I was in the US I loved Netflix DVD service.

KLang
09-28-11, 11:30 AM
I have not but if you are interested wait a couple weeks. The new Kindle/tablet is expected to be announced in mid October and it is supposed to include Amazon Prime. Not sure if it is permanent or just a year subscription.

Edit: Amazon press conference set for September 28.

Only one month of Amazon Prime with the Kindle Fire. Never mind. :p

Ankf00
09-28-11, 11:56 AM
:D

Maybe all MBA programs should use comic books instead of text books.

wait, they don't already?

nrc
09-28-11, 07:39 PM

$199 for a 7" Andriod tablet is still pretty good.

Insomniac
09-28-11, 07:43 PM

But it's also only $200. :) If Amazon could somehow pull off a book service for Prime, I'd consider paying $120/yr for Prime. (I'm assuming it would be the same as movie streaming. Books that don't sell much only.)

KLang
09-28-11, 08:02 PM
$199 for a 7" Andriod tablet is still pretty good.

Highly modified and locked down version of Android from what I've read, the tweakers aren't going to be impressed. But I don't think they are the target market anyway.

But yes very reasonable price. If I didn't already have a Kindle and an iPad2 I would pre-order one myself.

cameraman
09-28-11, 09:08 PM
Meh. 8 gb of storage space and all of your stuff is stored on some distant server. I live in a state where 60% of the land mass has no cell phone coverage at all. I have the largest storage available for the iPhone/iPod/iPad because when you're out in the sticks and the child wants to watch a show whatever it is had best be on the unit before we leave the house.

Also I am a huge fan of EyeTV units. http://www.elgato.com/ I have one hooked up to a TV antenna and a second hooked up to a Dish receiver. I've recorded hundreds upon hundreds of shows for free. The shows are stored locally as it is a half dozen terrabytes of data. The library is accessible on the computers, via the AppleTV or the iPad and even the iPhone.

Insomniac
10-02-11, 11:32 AM
Highly modified and locked down version of Android from what I've read, the tweakers aren't going to be impressed. But I don't think they are the target market anyway.

I'm sure someone will break it open. :)

Insomniac
10-02-11, 11:35 AM
Meh. 8 gb of storage space and all of your stuff is stored on some distant server. I live in a state where 60% of the land mass has no cell phone coverage at all. I have the largest storage available for the iPhone/iPod/iPad because when you're out in the sticks and the child wants to watch a show whatever it is had best be on the unit before we leave the house.

Also, it's currently Wi-Fi only, so everyone will be in a similar boat if they can't locate Wi-Fi when they leave home.

KLang
10-02-11, 11:40 AM
I'm sure someone will break it open. :)

I've since read comments from people at Amazon that they haven't really tried hard to prevent it. Without external storage I'm not sure how popular it would be for the modder crowd. 8 GB is a bit limiting. Curious to see if it will still properly access the Amazon 'cloud' after being altered.

dando
10-10-11, 09:34 AM
RIP, Qwikster.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20117888-261/netflix-cancels-qwikster-spinoff/?tag=mncol;topStories

Someone finally hit Reed Hastings with a clue stick.

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
10-10-11, 09:39 AM
RIP, Qwikster.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20117888-261/netflix-cancels-qwikster-spinoff/?tag=mncol;topStories

-Kevin

Too late ... the damage is already done.

Insomniac
10-10-11, 11:57 AM
RIP, Qwikster.

-Kevin

Now he just has to cut prices $6 and we're right back to 6 months ago. I thought Hastings was supposed to be smart?

nrc
10-10-11, 12:27 PM
How dire are their financials? They're flailing about like a company about to go under. Or maybe like HP.

Napoleon
10-10-11, 01:52 PM
How dire are their financials?

Their 10-k shows they are making money:

http://ir.netflix.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1193125-11-40217&CIK=1065280

There latest reported quarter (a new one should be out shortly) is the best of the last 4:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=nflx

I thought though that the problem they face is a bunch of their deals will be expiring and for the most part they were highly favorable to Netflix, which is unlikely to continue.

Don Quixote
10-10-11, 02:19 PM
Next I expect them to say they are going back to the original Coke recipe and call it "Coke Classic".

trish
10-10-11, 04:28 PM
This email was delivered to me about an hour ago

Dear trish,

We know you recently canceled your Netflix membership, but we want to share this news with you. It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

racer2c
10-10-11, 11:04 PM

Dear trish,

... we are now done with price changes.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

That's a dangerous promise to make for a company in business to make money. These guys are so befuddled they are stumbling around the ring like Cleveland Williams against Ali. Somewhere Amazon is smirking.

WickerBill
10-11-11, 07:12 AM
That's a dangerous promise to make for a company in business to make money.

"Read my lips! No new price hikes!"

Insomniac
10-11-11, 04:03 PM
That's a dangerous promise to make for a company in business to make money. These guys are so befuddled they are stumbling around the ring like Cleveland Williams against Ali. Somewhere Amazon is smirking.

Amazon wins no matter what. :) Netflix's platform runs on AWS.

TrueBrit
10-11-11, 04:30 PM

Dear trish,

We know you recently canceled your Netflix membership, but we want to share this news with you. It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

I got a similar e-mail to which my response was 'BFD'. Splitting the company in half was the least of my worries, dipping their fingers into my wallet for double the price for the same service I had been receiving previously was the issue. He could have called the new service anything he wanted to, I dunno, 'Dipster'...he STILL doesn't get it. People aren't leaving because they split the company up, they left because he DOUBLED the price...

Gnam
10-24-11, 07:41 PM
To continue the comic book theme...

BIFF!
POW!
BAM!

Netflix's video subscription service lost 800,000 customers in the third quarter _the biggest exodus in its history_ even as its earnings rose 65 percent.

The losses were larger than management had previously warned. The unwelcome surprise, contained in financial results released Monday, was compounded by a forecast calling for millions of Netflix Inc.'s DVD-by-mail subscribers to cancel the service in reaction to dramatic price increase that took effect last month.

Netflix shares shed $24.78, or nearly 21 percent, to $94.06 in Monday's extended trading.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/10/24/financial/f133033D18.DTL&tsp=1

KLang
10-24-11, 08:30 PM
Saw a rumor somewhere that might suggest a hookup between Netflix (or some other streaming service) and DirectTV to compete with Dish/Blockbuster....

Napoleon
10-25-11, 06:24 AM
Even the CEO's friend told him his idea was idiotic in advance:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/25/technology/netflix-lost-800000-members-with-price-rise-and-split-plan.html

RTKar
10-25-11, 07:16 AM
Does tony george run Netflix too? :p

SteveH
10-27-11, 08:55 PM
Quite interesting

http://mashable.com/2011/10/27/netflix-takes-up-32-7-of-internet-bandwidth-study/

Netflix Takes Up 32.7% of Internet Bandwidth [STUDY]
6 hours ago by Todd Wasserman

Despite recent troubles, Netflix is a major force on the Internet, accounting for 32.7% of peak U.S. downstream traffic, according to a new report.

Only part of the article quoted

WickerBill
10-28-11, 07:28 AM
Redbox increased their prices also, starting on Monday. From a dollar to $1.20 per day. Blu-ray prices didn't change.

Insomniac
07-12-12, 11:04 AM
Lengthy article: Netflix's lost year: The inside story of the price-hike train wreck

One year ago tomorrow, CEO Reed Hastings took the first of a series of missteps that angered customers and nearly derailed his company. Current and former employees disclose what went wrong.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57468798-93/netflixs-lost-year-the-inside-story-of-the-price-hike-train-wreck/