PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone advice needed...

Michaelhatesfans
10-28-10, 01:03 AM
Ok, it's not as exciting as bacon or the Boeing vs Airbus wars, but we're thinking of renting an RV and touring around Yellowstone this summer. Preferably drive from Portland to Wyoming in a real car, then renting the RV in Wyoming or Montana.

Anyone know good places to rent RV's around there? How much time would we want? We're meeting up with other family and dragging kids around, so we won't be hitting the back country or anything. Is a week too long?

I haven't been there since I was six, and the websites that revolve around RV rentals in Wyoming/Montana are a bit primitive. As in they suck.

And for the visiting family who is flying in - is Billings the best option?

Any/all advise would be appreciated.:thumbup:

Gnam
10-28-10, 01:51 AM
Any/all advise would be appreciated.:thumbup:

When camping be sure to start with a solid foundation and use a quality adhesive.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5057/img4540ajc3.jpg

datachicane
10-28-10, 03:09 AM
As insanely expensive as rental RVs are, and as depressed as the used RV market is, you're almost certainly better off buying one and turning it when you're done. As an added bonus you won't get cold sweats at night worrying if that RV with your name on it in Montana has one or more of the following:

A. Huge rent-me graphics on the side
B. Recently had a deer cleaned in it
C. Been rented by cat owners

Indy
10-28-10, 09:22 AM
Used RV's are cheap, cheap, cheap. You might look into that.

You may find renting in a more populated area to be less expensive than in Wyoming/Montana. In my experience rental fees vary widely between regions and individual vendors.

There is more in Wyoming/Montana than you can see in a week. Personally, I could spend a week in Yellowstone, and I have been there before. Those two states are absolutely enormous, and they are the most beautiful area I have ever seen, so you will not be bored.

cameraman
10-28-10, 10:08 AM
I'd look at getting one in Idaho. If you travel on 84 it will take you through Boise, Twin Falls, Pocatello and Idaho Falls.

If you are going to fly I'd head for Bozeman MT (BZN).

TrueBrit
10-28-10, 10:11 AM
Took the fam to Yellowstone for the last week of August this year. Gob-smackingly gorgeous. We drove there from Chicagoland and stayed in a hotel in West Yellowstone so I don't have any RV expertise to share other than the fact that we saw more RV's on the road and in the park than I have ever seen in my life. A week isn't long enough to "do" the park, but if the age of the kiddies is south of 10 yrs old it should be about right.

Try and plan a day-trip to see the Grand Tetons whilst you're there, well worth it and not that far from the south entrance of Yellowstone.

I have been fortunate enough to go to some very pretty places on my travels and I have to say without doubt that Yellowstone is in the top three of my personal favourites. Its simple beauty will take your breath away. I cannot wait to go back next year.

dando
10-28-10, 10:24 AM
http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Truckster.jpg

:gomer:

-Kevin

cameraman
10-28-10, 10:24 AM
TB brings up a good point. Do you really want an RV? A car is much easier to get around in than an RV. Parking is an issue and being in a car is much much easier. You can get a nice hotel room for the cost of an RV rental.

racer2c
10-28-10, 11:59 AM
Hotel > RV. :)

Michaelhatesfans
10-29-10, 12:13 AM
Thanks, everyone - the reason we're looking at RVs is because the kids have been pestering us for years to have an RV vacation. If it were up to me, we'd stick to the car the whole trip.

The kid's ages probably averages around 10 years old, young enough that they still talk to us, but old enough to listen when we say, "If you fall in that pool it will kill you." Should be interesting.:gomer:

I was interested in renting closer to the park just to keep the fuel costs down, to be honest, but Idaho may not be a bad idea.

Keep it coming!

Indy
10-29-10, 02:08 AM
There is also an active market in RV owners who will rent, thus sparing you the indignity of the commercial ones plastered with graphics advertising the rental company. The problem is you never know what you are going to get, so if you are going to do that, it is best to rent one close to home so you can check it out before you make the commitment.

RaceGrrl
10-29-10, 12:45 PM
No picture of the park really captures its beauty.

When Mom and Dad took us to Yellowstone the first time, they did it pulling a pop up camper behind a giant Pontiac station wagon. They could unhitch the camper and drive around the park. The second time we had an RV, and I remember Dad being annoyed at having to level the thing all the time.

You will need the full week, at least, to see everything. Richard and I are hoping to go this year around Labor Day, right before the park closes for winter. We want to stay in the Old Faithful Lodge. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out for us. Yellowstone is one of my favorite vacation spots.

Indy
10-29-10, 07:24 PM
Say Hello to this guy:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6484/skol2012woodyharrelsona.jpg

Insomniac
10-29-10, 08:31 PM
Me and TrueBrit may've crossed paths. I agree you do need a full week (at least) if you want to take your time and see everything.

Funny story. Every time we would be fortunate to see a lone Bison, everyone would be stopped getting pictures. Then we headed over to the east side of the "figure 8" and there were huge herds hanging out, swimming and walking on the roads. You really don't know what you will get to see everyday.

We went for a week and saw Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier National Park. It was a very busy trip, but awesome.

If you have an RV it won't be a big deal, but the temperature can vary wildly through the day. I wish I had those pants that you can unzip and turn into shorts when I was there. (It ended up being a little warmer than normal.)

Elmo T
12-16-13, 04:10 PM
Resurrecting an old thread.

OC never fails me! Pondering a road trip, so why not check OC. Sure enough it is covered here. Well sort of...

We are pondering a road trip west this year. Philly to Yellowstone in probably late June early July. :saywhat::) No RV - just the loaded down Suburban.

Not sure of an exact travel timetable and that is one of the questions - How many days are needed for a trip? While I drove home from WDW non-stop (16:45 total drive time not counting gas, potty, and and meal breaks), I am not looking to do that in multiple days. I'd probably make it to Indianapolis on Day 1 easily depending on the route.

Then slowly north to South Dakota. Worth seeing the Badlands? Mount Rushmore - meh?

How many days in the Yellowstone specifically? And what are the hotel/lodging options? NOT camping! I checked online at some of the park accommodations - seems to vary wildly.

Recommended stops along the way?

Trying to keep the vacation as loose as possible. We went north and looped last year: Niagara Falls, Toronto, Kingston, Montreal, Mount Washington, Kennebunk ME, Newport RI. It was probably the single best vacation we've ever experienced. No worries, no stress, and got to see all sorts of new things.

gjc2
12-16-13, 04:44 PM
http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Truckster.jpg

:gomer:

-Kevin

You may hate it now, but wait 'till you drive it!

cameraman
12-16-13, 05:19 PM
You're going to have problems with hotels in/near Yellowstone without reservations. It is rather limited. Pick some firm dates in the park and get some reservations a couple of months ago...

Elmo T
12-16-13, 05:23 PM
You're going to have problems with hotels in/near Yellowstone without reservations. It is rather limited. Pick some firm dates in the park and get some reservations a couple of months ago...

Yea - I checked and there are openings and more than I expected given the late start. July is fairly slammed - might need to push it closer to the end of school in June.

KLang
12-16-13, 06:33 PM
I camped the one time I was there back in early 80's so can't help with Hotels. The one at Old Faithful looked pretty cool.

If you are driving out that way I'd say do stop at Mount Rushmore, if nothing else a great photo op. We didn't bother with the Crazy Horse back then but it looks to be a lot farther along now.

Devils Tower was an interesting side trip.

cameraman
12-16-13, 08:03 PM
If you're going to drive that far swinging past Grand Teton NP wouldn't be a bad idea.

Andrew Longman
12-16-13, 08:07 PM
I was there (again - first time since I was a kid) with my brother in the summer of 2012. Tent camped happily.

My 2c:

Be prepared for traffic and crowds. It is obviously worth the trip x10 but if you let the lines of cars and people bug you (e.g. When there is a half mile of traffic behind people stopped to look at one buffalo) it will ruin it for you. So therefore don't be too invested in a schedule.

Definitely do the Titons too. They are twin places that go together.

Take a hike. There are plenty of opportunities to get out of the car for day hikes, get away from the crowds, have a picnic and really soak up and think about the awesomeness around you. Trust me too that there are plenty of places to go that may not be the most obvious and spectacular places to go that are magnificent. They just aren't the most obvious and spectacular place to go.

Be prepared for how much of the park burned. The scale of the devastation is impossible to wrap you head around because it is everywhere. It is also impossible to wrap your head around how differently it must have looked before the fire. It is tragic but also not so as fire is part of nature.

Get out of the parks too. There are amazing national forests for hundreds of miles all around that no one visits and the powerful beauty is there too.

nrc
12-16-13, 10:05 PM
How much time to spend there is a tough question. You can spend as much time as you like but three days is the bare minimum if you want more than a driving tour. It's a huge place so you should prioritize the sites that you want to see and divide the big loop around the park into sections for each day you're staying.

Here's a thread I made after our trip.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?17215-Yellowstone

We stayed at a place called Shoshone Lodge which is actually outside the park near the east entrance. Getting into the park each day added some driving time but we really enjoyed the laid back, friendly atmosphere and rustic but comfortable cabins. Not a good place if you want to watch TV in the evenings but a great place if you want to sit around a fire making Smores and talking to people from all over the world about the amazing things they saw that day.

http://www.shoshonelodge.com

Tifosi24
12-16-13, 10:07 PM
I would think Indy or just beyond Chicago can be done day one. Even though I live in MN, and grew up in IA, there isn't much to see, so you can get deep into South Dakota Day 2. The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD is interesting. On Day 3 Wall Drug, Badlands, and Mt Rushmore are doable, but I would think only two might be reasonable. Day 4 would be Devil's Tower and then a lot of driving. Thermopolis is in the area, but a little out of the way. After that, you will be in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area. The drive back is another chance to see things, but if you are coming from PA, try to stop by Little Big Horn, well worth it.

Elmo T
12-16-13, 11:01 PM
Spent the evening scoping out travel plans and chunking out days - give or take. Looked at flying to Denver - will be about $1800-$2200 roundtrip airfare plus nearly the same for car rental. We'd prefer to drive. Not even sure if it would be cheaper to drive in the long run.

I see Indianapolis, Sioux City, Badlands, then into park area - again give or take a few days along the way. Did book a hotel for 4 nights near Yellowstone (West) as an insurance policy. Home would be more southern maybe St. Louis way, then home again via I70.

What we enjoyed about the Canadian trip was the lack of a hard and fast schedule. Trying to do the same AND not have to sleep in the car in the Badlands is a bit harder!

Appreciating all the input.

dando
12-17-13, 12:03 AM
More than welcome to bunk here (wherever that may be) on the to and from if you choose to drive. :) Of course, I advise a flight into Anaheim and a visit to walk Walt's footsteps @ DL. :gomer:

RaceGrrl
12-17-13, 09:33 AM
Although Richard and I didn't get to see the Badlands or Mt Rushmore on our trip, I've been both places a couple of times as a kid and remember the Badlands as really beautiful. I concur with cameraman that the Grand Tetons are a must see. WRT when to go... avoid going after school is out if at all possible. There is one main road through the park and if you go at peak season you will waste hours sitting on that road just trying to get where you're going. (Not to mention the bison traffic jams.) If you go in June right after school is out you'll probably miss some of the crazy crowds.

About your hotel... we looked at staying in the park, but were so glad that we didn't. The hotel "villages" are very touristy and overpriced IMO. You might save on drive time but the place we stayed felt more to me like we were getting the Yellowstone experience I'd imagined.

indyfan31
12-17-13, 11:23 AM
Two things I can think of right now.

Look into "vacation rentals" in West Yellowstone instead of hotels/motels/lodges, you may get more for your money. My wife and I rented a one-bedroom condo for less than the price of a room at the lodge.

And yes, definitely hike. You have to leave the car (and the trail) to get this view of the Grand Prismatic.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8318/8021534965_a1356859c7_c.jpg

dando
12-17-13, 12:03 PM
You know that Old Yeller Stone is gonna blow soon, right? :gomer: ;)

Elmo T
12-17-13, 12:49 PM
The hotel "villages" are very touristy and overpriced IMO. You might save on drive time but the place we stayed felt more to me like we were getting the Yellowstone experience I'd imagined.

That is my hope. I told Erin that if we do this we need to do it right. Just not sure if this is the year. We finally have the vacation time (she has changed jobs twice in the last 6 years - stupid economy) and the kids are old enough to appreciate it. The are troopers on the long drives. The planets seem to be aligning themselves to make this a serious possibility.

JoeBob
12-17-13, 01:00 PM
If you find yourself in SW South Dakota, near Wall Drug and the Badlands, check out the Minuteman Missile historic site. There are no highway signs disclosing its presence, but the visitor's center has all of the maps you need - and it is less than 5 minutes off the highway: http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

TravelGal
12-17-13, 01:08 PM
I'm hardly a wild west woman so TravelGuy and I did this last June on a bus tour. Yessssss, but unlike ElmoT, we are not long distance drivers. We LOVED Rapid City. Just as a place to be. Since I'm a bit pressed for time, I'm lifting about half of my Christmas letter and pasting it below. I'll add that the driving through Yellowstone can be repetitive, that is, on the same roads, if you don't plan carefully. Also VERY much second the idea of passing through the Grand Tetons and stop at the Little Big Horn. Here's my commentary.

We began in Rapid City, SD. We loved its comfortable feel and walked the streets happily checking out the life-sized sculptures of every US president. My highlight was the first morning’s visit to Crazy Horse, the memorial in progress to the Lakota people begun by Korzcak Ziolkowski in 1948. It is still run by his wife and children with no government funds, which explains why you don’t see it on the list of national parks. The head of Crazy Horse and his arm pointing “to the lands where my people lie buried” are visible now.

A few miles later we were standing at the base of Mt. Rushmore. It seemed so large we could hardly believe it could fit inside just the head of Crazy Horse. More interesting than the miniature of what Mt. Rushmore was supposed to look like, was learning that Cary Grant, Martin Landau, et al were climbing on a replica. Even the clout of Alfred Hitchcock couldn’t get clearance for traipsing over the real thing.

After a stop in Sheridan, WY and lunch with Buffalo Bill Cody, we visited the Little Big Horn, coincidentally on the anniversary of the battle. Many Native Americans on horseback took part in the commemoration ceremonies. The park itself is beautifully and meaningfully maintained.

The last several days were scenery and more. Billings, MT, with one of the youngest populations in the US, the majestic Grand Tetons, beautiful Yellowstone and the Old Faithful Inn, Jackson, WY with its wild west shootout performed every evening, ending in Salt Lake City where we were lucky enough to sit in at the live taping of the weekly Sunday morning radio show by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Edit: I also agree about seeing Devils Tower. The tour omitted it because it would have added an hour or two to the day but everyone who "knew" anything said it was a big mistake to omit.

Andrew Longman
12-17-13, 02:31 PM
Elmo, have you thought about taking the train?

When I went to Yellowstone last year I was working a lot in Salt Lake. My brother came out and met me. We rented a car and headed up to the Titons and Yellowstone for about a week then we took the train back east. The ride from SLC to Denver on the California Zephyr is awesome and relaxing complete with a vistadome car. I loved it so much I did it again that summer with Trevor. The train in general is better than being stuffed in a car for three days or any plane for three hours.

NiKiXt7zNqk

Fares can be funny. Amtrak moves them all over the place but maybe travalgal can help you? If you can, spring for a sleeper :D

cameraman
12-17-13, 02:41 PM
And yes the California Zephyr departs Salt Lake for points east at 3AM...

But allows it to be daylight in the more interesting bits of the Rockies.

Elmo T
12-17-13, 04:06 PM
Fares can be funny. Amtrak moves them all over the place but maybe travalgal can help you? If you can, spring for a sleeper :D

Interesting idea for heading west. Will check it out tonight.

We've done the Autotrain twice :thumbup:. The fares do seem to jump around. I swear they use cookies or something to track how often you check the fares. Check once, check again and up it goes, etc, etc.

TravelGal
12-17-13, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the plug. Funny you should mention it. On a separate trip, TravelGuy and I also did the Zephyr this past summer. Westbound from Denver. Got off in Sacramento to visit some relatives.

It was one of my dreams since childhood in New Jersey. One thing I'm known for in this biz is my honesty and, honestly, I wouldn't recommend the sleepers with a family. Cost vs comfort index is less than zero. The ride, yes, terrific. Even the food is good! The people you meet are great too. But at night, the romance of the rails wore thin, at least on us.

Elmo T
12-17-13, 04:31 PM
The ride, yes, terrific. Even the food is good! The people you meet are great too. But at night, the romance of the rails wore thin, at least on us.

We did the "Family Bedroom" on the Autotrain. Private room on lower level - no strangers passing by and room for the 4 of us. Agreed on most counts. No real view except swamps in Georgia and seedy-looking backwoods bungalows. Food was unxpectedly good, service great. The room was nice: power for the movie players and just enough room for the kids to play. Sleeping at night was not great but better than sitting in the coach section for sure.

For us it was a family thing - both my grandfathers worked for PRR and my parents were working for the RR when they met.

Looking like fares from Philly to SLC or Denver are twice airfare.

Andrew Longman
12-17-13, 05:03 PM
And yes the California Zephyr departs Salt Lake for points east at 3AM...

But allows it to be daylight in the more interesting bits of the Rockies.shhh. I wasn't going to tell about that part until he got all excited. :D

And the SLC rail station (the current one not the cool old UP and Rio Grande stations) is such a joy to sit in/outside of at 2:30 am.

cameraman
12-17-13, 05:14 PM
shhh. I wasn't going to tell about that part until he got all excited. :D

And the SLC rail station (the current one not the cool old UP and Rio Grande stations) is such a joy to sit in/outside of at 2:30 am.

Are you dissin' our doublewide:flaming:

TravelGal
12-17-13, 07:00 PM
Looking like fares from Philly to SLC or Denver are twice airfare.

The difference being the meals you get on the train vs the meals you don't get in the air.

Andrew Longman
12-17-13, 11:03 PM
Are you dissin' our doublewide:flaming:i was trying to be tactful and not actually call it is a double wide. Since you blew that I guess I can add that the baggage office is a shipping container. :)

Elmo when considering the cost factor that the trip itself, particularly west of Omaha, is entertainment and educational. The way I did it too is to take the Capital Limited from DC to Chicago rather than the Broadway from Philly. With apologies to your PRR family it is a nicer train and more scenic route though Harpers Ferry, etc.

Oh and you must go west of Denver. That's the best part absolutely.

Kiwifan
12-18-13, 01:15 AM
I was going to suggest they do it in a Conestoga wagon like your old folks did :p but the moaning and groaning on here about planes, trains and automobiles says I best not. :D

That is one part of your country I MUST see and I was most jealous when Gal had all of her photos up of her trip. I'm picking no matter how you get there the important thing is to make sure get there as it looks so special.

Enjoy your trip!

Rusty.

gjc2
12-18-13, 07:39 AM
I was going to suggest they do it in a Conestoga wagon

I toured Yellowstone with a couple of friends in the seventies driving an early sixties Dodge van that wasn’t much more than wagon just with a slant six and three on the tree instead of horses.

It was a great trip in an incredible place.

dando
12-18-13, 08:15 AM
I was going to suggest they do it in a Conestoga wagon like your old folks did :p but the moaning and groaning on here about planes, trains and automobiles says I best not. :D

That is one part of your country I MUST see and I was most jealous when Gal had all of her photos up of her trip. I'm picking no matter how you get there the important thing is to make sure get there as it looks so special.

Enjoy your trip!

Rusty.

Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Yellowstone would be my top three. Niagra Falls is top 5, but it's tainted since it touches our 51st state. :gomer: Monument Valley or Muir Woods would be my other choice for top 5....but then again Mt. Rushmore. Bugger. :)

cameraman
12-18-13, 12:14 PM

Well every year some group of Saints™ with too much time on their hands reenacts the settler handcart treks from the midwest to This Is The Place park in Salt Lake. I'm sure you could join in.

kXiO88R725I

Yeah I've been here a looooong time...

Kiwifan
12-18-13, 01:35 PM
So much humour in a Travel Thread, I do love this place.

Dando; been to the Canyon = jaw dropping. Yosemite = is there a more beautiful place on Earth?? Yellowstone? I gotta get there.... Niagra Falls = breath taking but the town was a bit tacky on the Canadian side. Er 51st State, that will leave a mark, Lol.

gjc2, funny how those old trips in old dunger cars live strong in the memory, possibly the Groovy Music helped, lol.

cameraman; I would but I don't think they are my type. When we were in Death Valley we did often think how hard it must have been for those early travellers crossing your great land, tuff buggers for sure.

RaceGrrl
12-18-13, 02:08 PM
Oh, and as to the comments about Yellowstone blowing at some point... Yep, it's gonna happen, but I figure the best place to be during that massive explosion is in the park. Instant incineration versus slow suffocation under volcanic ash? I'll take the super volcano please.

JoeBob
12-18-13, 02:41 PM
Here's what you need to figure out Amtrak fares: http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

Insomniac
12-21-13, 02:19 PM
I'd toss in Glacier National Park if you go late enough in June (I think they start digging out after Memorial Day). We stayed in Island Park, Idaho the last time we went. They have a lot of time share resorts which you can book for <$100/day for 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a kitchen that sleep 6. In the park is definitely nice/best though.

TravelGal
12-22-13, 01:54 PM
I'd toss in Glacier National Park if you go late enough in June (I think they start digging out after Memorial Day). We stayed in Island Park, Idaho the last time we went. They have a lot of time share resorts which you can book for <$100/day for 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a kitchen that sleep 6. In the park is definitely nice/best though.

Made me look. I didn't realize it was that "close" to Yellowstone. Not bad. There is also an AMTRAK train up thatta way but it sells out very quickly. From my reading, it's truly spectacular through the park. Wish we could have fit it in.

Insomniac
12-25-13, 06:36 PM
Made me look. I didn't realize it was that "close" to Yellowstone. Not bad. There is also an AMTRAK train up thatta way but it sells out very quickly. From my reading, it's truly spectacular through the park. Wish we could have fit it in.

I should clarify, we stayed in Island Park for Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I forget where we stayed for Glacier National Park, but I can check if anyone wants to know.