PDA

View Full Version : One good-ol'-boy's take on the swap

rabbit
06-12-03, 04:44 PM
http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/opinion/smith/06/12/montoya_column/index.html

Entering the tunnel, I was greeted by a glorious noise unlike any I'd ever heard. It was an eerie, high-pitched harmony, almost as if a celestial chorus of sopranos was bellowing approval of the event on behalf of the spirits of motorsports' past.

But there was no chorus, just a race car, just 1,300 pounds of precision engineering that produces a sound so intense even seasoned motorsports personalities are reduced to racing virgins. Including Gordon.
:D

rabbit
06-12-03, 04:48 PM
Another one chimes in (http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/opinion/guest/06/12/tmccarthy_indy/index.html)

It's just that the other-worldly shriek of a 19,000-rpm, three-liter motor that was practically designed yesterday will always turn more heads than the roar of a 9,000 rpm OHV motor developed in the 50s. Always.

And it would turn your head, too. That is, if you ever get the chance to experience these mechanical wonders for yourself.

So I suggest that if you can't make it to the 180 mph parade at Talladega on September 28, you should seriously consider purchasing a ticket to the United States Grand Prix that runs that same weekend. If you do, I'm certain you'll join me as one of the quiet minority who have found a way to love both NASCAR and Formula One.

Lizzerd
06-12-03, 05:25 PM
The naivete of both of these authors astounds me. It's as if they were barely aware of the existence of F1, the biggest racing series on the planet, before Wednesday. It was even as if they had never even watched a F1 race on TV with their amazement at the sound. Geez... before I ever attended my first F1 race, I knew the scream of the V10 was awesome.

And it truly is awesome to hear.

There is an obvious difference between a "Racing Fan" and a "NASCAR fan". That difference being tunnel vision.

oddlycalm
06-12-03, 06:11 PM
I suspect that the tone of the stories is more about the author's awareness of their audience than any real unfamiliarity with the sound of an F1 engine.

What's amazing to me is that these articles are on the NASCAR website. This is really getting high profile visibility in stocker circles. I've had calls from two of business friends that are serious NASCAR fans, and they had lots of questions about the Williams car. They both shake their heads and mumble at the 8000Rpm redline on my daily driver, but 19,000Rpm has them totally disoriented...

oc

cart7
06-12-03, 07:56 PM
It's like a back to the future where the writers are discovering technology for the first time.
:shakehead
What do you expect from a series that changes suspension spring rates by cramming rubber chunks in the springs and adjusts front down-force with duct tape over the front grill. :laugh:

Criss sakes, these guys would be marveled looking under the hood of my wifes '98 Taurus. "Hey, this cars got one of them fancy fuel injector things" :gomer:

SteveH
06-12-03, 08:21 PM
Can't wait until Jimmy Spencer test a Jordan or a Sauber. Think of the press that would get, assuming they can wedge him in it.

RTKar
06-12-03, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
The naivete of both of these authors astounds me. It's as if they were barely aware of the existence of F1, the biggest racing series on the planet, before Wednesday. It was even as if they had never even watched a F1 race on TV with their amazement at the sound. Geez... before I ever attended my first F1 race, I knew the scream of the V10 was awesome.

And it truly is awesome to hear.

There is an obvious difference between a "Racing Fan" and a "NASCAR fan". That difference being tunnel vision.

Lizz , I remember reading stories of fans outside of Monza not able to afford a ticket or just couldn't find one, who would listen for the sound of the Ferrari's to go by....they knew them simply by the sound and "listened" to the race as if it was on radio...these nascar rubes need to see the bigger picture.

Hot Rod Otis
06-12-03, 09:34 PM
What you all have to realize is that a lot of NASCAR fans, especially the new breed of NASCAR fans, have very little knowlege or exposure or even interest in any other type of motorsports. In fact a lot of new NASCAR fans know nothing, or next to nothing about NASCAR prior to when they became fans. Seeing Jeff in a Williams was for some, the 1st time they probably even watched another form of motorsports, except for maybe Tony Stewarts occasional Indy 500 runs, and certainly the 1st time for many watching any F1. Hearing that BMW screaming at 19,000RPM was for some NASCAR fans, the 1st time they've ever heard a racin' engine that doesn't have a carbuerator on it.

A couple of examples.

1) I know a guy at work who's a BIG NASCAR fan, was a HUGE Earnhardt fan, and now worships Dale Jr.. He eats, sleeps and breathes NASCAR. We were talking about Earnhardt's career one day, and I mentioned the name Kirk Shelmerdine. He said, "who's that?", he had NO idea who he was. He only vaguely remembered the name Alan Kulwicki, and also had no idea what ASA was when I mentioned that I followed that series. He had no knowlege of anything NASCAR before hsi time, and no interest in ANY other racing, even OTHER stock car series.

2) And its not just the fans. This happened a while ago, but its still a good example of how to many NASCAR people, NASCAR is all they care about or have any interest in. I went to the IMSA GTP race @ Watkins Glen in 92. The "support" race on Saturday was a BGN race(which drew more than the GTP race). Since the Cup guys were off that Sunday, MRN decided to stay and give "bonus" coverage of the IMSA race on the MRN network. They played the feed over the track P.A. It was hilarious listening to Eli Gold and the boys call that race. The funniest thing I remember was when one of the AAR Eagles came in for a pit stop and they cut down to pit reporter Dick Brooks. Dick was flabbergasted and totally amazed at the concept of on-board jacks. He could not believe that when you stuck an air hose in the car, the car popped off the ground. In his mind, ALL race cars went up on the jack when the jack man got over there with old-fashioned manual jack, and jacked the car up. It was priceless.

Lizzerd
06-12-03, 10:21 PM
I'm now reminded of another story...

My cousin used to come to Indy for the BY 400 with a few of his buddies and I would camp with them. One night, sitting around the campfire and consuming some adult beverages, I was talking to one of them about "other" racing. I told him of going down the path along the straight to turn five at Road America and and what a rush it was being 30 feet from the cars as they brake from 190 to about 50, hearing the bang bang bang bang of the downshifts, etc. In all, I was preaching the virtues and excitement of road racing. He seemed to understand. The next morning, I told my cousin that I think I may have made a dent in convincing his buddy that there are indeed other forms of motorsports besides Winston Cup. My cousin said, "well sure there are! Theres BGN, ARCA, ASA, Hooters Cup..."

RTKar
06-12-03, 10:49 PM
What's funny, is a guy I work with is a NASCAR fan, one of the new breed. I tend to know more of what's happening in his sport than he does and I don't really follow WC at all.

Cam
06-13-03, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
What's funny, is a guy I work with is a NASCAR fan, one of the new breed. I tend to know more of what's happening in his sport than he does and I don't really follow WC at all.

You mean the new breed of Lemming?? :gomer: :rolleyes:

cart7
06-13-03, 06:05 AM
originally posted by Hot Rod Otis
In fact a lot of new NASCAR fans know nothing, or next to nothing about NASCAR prior to when they became fans.
Reminds me of a lot of today's Hockey fans. The sport is a lot more popular now then it was say 20-25 years ago. I had some hockey cards from 1973 I wanted to peddle. Included were the Esposito's, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Henri Richard, Ken Dryden, etc. I took them around to card shops. No one was interested. It seems the new breed of Hockey fans didn't seem to think there was anything going on in hockey until Gretsky showed up! :eek: The cards had no value. I wound up selling them to an individual who knew of the value of players in the collection.

RaceChic
06-13-03, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by cart7
Reminds me of a lot of today's Hockey fans. The sport is a lot more popular now then it was say 20-25 years ago. I had some hockey cards from 1973 I wanted to peddle. Included were the Esposito's, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Henri Richard, Ken Dryden, etc. I took them around to card shops. No one was interested. It seems the new breed of Hockey fans didn't seem to think there was anything going on in hockey until Gretsky showed up! :eek: The cards had no value. I wound up selling them to an individual who knew of the value of players in the collection.

Nobody wanted a Bobby Hull or Bobby Orr card???? :eek:
You should have come north of the border!!!!!;)

Here's a scenario:
I decided to go to the BY400 to see what all the fuss was about because I just "didn't get it"(many of you know the outcome of that) and was sitting around the campsite. They had sattelite TV in a motorhome of one of Lizzerd's friends. The were watching the BUSCH race that was on live at IRP. They invited me to sit and watch and encouraged me to "have an open mind". I tried. I really did. Then, like you mentioned Hot Rod Otis, the pit stop happenned and I just had to go. I had better things to do. Like go for a walk and drink a beer. Prior to that, someone commented that there was a WC race where some driver "was down 42 laps, but at least he finished the race! He drove with broken this and smashed that, but he brought that baby home! He got a point for that." I replied, "how is being down 42 laps when he reaches the checkers FINISHING the race? He never did the full race distance! Open Wheels can't just bump into each other and drive with broken parts. You do that sort of thing and you're done. You have to drive more precise and clean than that. Points for being 42 laps down? Points paid till last place?" Something like that anyway.......
I thought to my self, they award guys with points for something like that? No wonder he kept going. Sheesh.:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Then of course came the race itself and they were groaning buy like some dying, strange beast from a Harry Potter movie slower than I had expected. Hey. They made the EARL look good. Almost........We ended up leaving ten laps early. ;)