PDA

View Full Version : I've heard this before...

pchall
10-20-10, 04:21 PM
Randy Bernard's Delorean finds the early 90s. :rofl:

After watching some of the most talented racers in the country compete in USAC sprint races at Kokomo and Bloomington last summer, IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard had a logical question.

“Why aren’t any of those guys running in the Indy 500?” he asked.

When it was explained that USAC was the old path to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and none of today’s owners ever considered a sprint or midget driver, Bernard made a face.

Then he made a decision designed to help USAC’s finest get back to Indianapolis in an open wheel car rather than a stock car, which had been the routine for the past 20 years.

Bernard announced Wednesday that IndyCar will award the winner of USAC’s inaugural National Driver’s Championship a ride in all the Indy Lights oval races in 2011.

link (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/usac-national-champion-to-get-indy-lights-ride/)

Yes, but will he take the Lights ride or go to ARCA or Trucks in the NASCAR ladder?

nissan gtp
10-20-10, 04:45 PM
here we go again

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/AMNick2008/facepalm.jpg

Methanolandbrats
10-20-10, 05:36 PM
How about the 10/5/4/2/2/10 rule. 10 USACers, 5 Brazilians, 4 girls, 2 asians, 2 misc Americans/ 10 "others". Fix er right up.

racer2c
10-20-10, 05:40 PM
Well, it will be simple to screw plastic fenders on the '12 Dallara's...instant stock cars!

Andrew Longman
10-20-10, 05:42 PM
...a ride in all the Indy Lights oval races in 2011. And that will surely prove his worth on the road circuits that make up the other half of the schedule?

pchall
10-20-10, 07:08 PM
And that will surely prove his worth on the road circuits that make up the other half of the schedule?

Ropin' Randy Bernard wants to turn sprint car drivers into the new Sarah Fishers!

Remember when Derrick Walker ran her briefly in a blue Kroger's sponsored IRL car. As part of that deal Walker wanted to run her in Atlantics too, and Fisher declined that part of the package saying, "I don't want to learn how to road race."

Andrew Longman
10-21-10, 08:11 AM
...Fisher declined that part of the package saying, "I don't want to learn how to road race."Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart became two of the best road racers in NASCAR... because they are very good but also because the went to school for it.

Indy
10-21-10, 08:24 AM
Yet more proof that they are terminally stupid.

Elmo T
10-21-10, 09:01 AM
Bernard has been bombarded by fans, in person and in emails, to get more Americans involved in IndyCar. Only Davey Hamilton and Ed Carpenter, who both apprenticed in USAC midgets and sprints, have represented the American oval-tracker in the past decade at IMS.

Where exactly IS this market?

Rather than give an incentive to hire Americans - thus costing the series money... Why not just ban all non-American drivers? This would force Penske, Andretti, Ganassi, etc to hire American drivers.

Problem solved and your welcome. :rolleyes::gomer:

Also, those pesky South Americans will have to be addressed. I guess we should change this to "we need more citizens of the United States of America".

We would need to clarify if we would allow naturalized citizens though. :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
10-21-10, 09:11 AM
Bernard has been bombarded by fans, in person and in emails,

:rofl:

BarillaGirl
10-21-10, 09:17 AM

Rather than give an incentive to hire Americans - thus costing the series money... Why not just ban all non-American drivers? This would force Penske, Andretti, Ganassi, etc to hire American drivers.

Problem solved and your welcome. :rolleyes::gomer:

Also, those pesky South Americans will have to be addressed. I guess we should change this to "we need more citizens of the United States of America".

We would need to clarify if we would allow naturalized citizens though. :rolleyes:

That's it, if I want to see real racing I guess I need to move to Brazil. Who's coming with me?

DagoFast
10-21-10, 10:27 AM
:rofl:

Hey now, don't laugh! If Robin Miller had your cell, office and home phone numbers, you'd feel "bombarded" too.

Methanolandbrats
10-21-10, 10:36 AM
Hey now, don't laugh! If Robin Miller had your cell, office and home phone numbers, you'd feel "bombarded" too.

Ya, you are probably right, three contacts in one day would probably be a busy day in the IRL offices. :D

oddlycalm
10-21-10, 04:06 PM
What will silence this blather in the end is the EARL reaching economic crush depth and the IMS getting sold to the Frances.

oc

datachicane
10-21-10, 05:32 PM
Economic crush depth- I like it!

http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/das-boot-movie.gif

chop456
10-22-10, 01:46 AM
Too bad the idiotgrandson's not still around or we could call him Das Boob. :tony:

opinionated ow
10-22-10, 07:06 AM
If they got some road racing experience, it wouldn't be a bad thing. But just the oval races, that's pathetic!

pchall
10-22-10, 08:11 AM
Economic crush depth- I like it!

http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/das-boot-movie.gif

crush depth

mueber
10-22-10, 08:42 AM
Roadsters.

Methanolandbrats
10-22-10, 08:54 AM
Mindy will become a vintage festival when the IRL folds.

pchall
10-22-10, 09:34 AM
Mindy will become a vintage festival when the IRL folds.

Isn't it already? The cars show up in Euro Boss every now and then these days and get clobbered by the GP2 Dallaras...

Don Quixote
10-22-10, 09:41 AM
What will silence this blather in the end is the EARL reaching economic crush depth and the IMS getting sold to the Frances.

ocGood one oc! :D
"The IRL, Sitting at the Bottom of the Mariana Trench Since 1996"

TKGAngel
10-22-10, 10:16 AM

oc

The Frances aren't doing too well either. They just laid off a bunch of people at Daytona. TV ratings are dropping right along with attendance, drivers are getting whiny, teams might be folding and um, yeah. The grass might be greener on their side, but not by much.

Methanolandbrats
10-22-10, 10:27 AM
Isn't it already? The cars show up in Euro Boss every now and then these days and get clobbered by the GP2 Dallaras...

Not yet, they still pretend it's the biggest "race" in a racing "series".

G.
10-22-10, 11:37 AM
The Frances aren't doing too well either. They just laid off a bunch of people at Daytona. TV ratings are dropping right along with attendance, drivers are getting whiny, teams might be folding and um, yeah. The grass might be greener on their side, but not by much.Hmmmm, so they must be looking for a spark, a new angle...

OT, I must learn to use the term "crush depth" in casual conversation. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
10-22-10, 11:45 AM
Hmmmm, so they must be looking for a spark, a new angle...
:thumbup: see sportscar DTM thread for new angle.

oddlycalm
10-22-10, 04:01 PM
The Frances aren't doing too well either.

Agreed but as much as I'd like to think otherwise I suspect that NASCAR is tracking the broader economy when it comes to their market demographics.

oc

Duroc
10-23-10, 03:36 PM
I suspect that NASCAR is tracking the broader economy when it comes to their market demographics.

I agree, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of their (and Bruton Smith's) lesser performing facilities go the way of Gateway.

Bernard is just another IMS grifter going along to get a paycheck.

NismoZ
10-23-10, 10:44 PM

JLMannin
10-24-10, 12:56 PM

Well, the IRL headquarters biulding is in an abandoned strip mall across 16th street from the speedway. It's probably the yellowshirts and overwieght, racist, unemployed middle-age white guys who live in Indianapolis.

oddlycalm
10-25-10, 04:23 AM
I agree, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of their (and Bruton Smith's) lesser performing facilities go the way of Gateway.

Bernard is just another IMS grifter going along to get a paycheck.

NASCAR's chief marketing officer said ticket sales are off 15% and vendor sales 20%. I'm sure you're right about second tier facilities being worse.

Whatever Bernard is he's not someone that's going to be able to make anything positive happen which makes him pretty much pointless. My take is that he is there because Comcast "strongly" suggested him.

oc

Andrew Longman
10-25-10, 11:53 AM
Only Davey Hamilton and Ed Carpenter, who both apprenticed in USAC midgets and sprints, have represented the American oval-tracker in the past decade at IMS.I guess the oval tracker is the key part there. And they forgot Sarah Fischer, PJ Chesson, Hornish and AJ IV? After all Danica, Graham, Bell, Marco, Ryan, John Andretti all started the last 500. In the last ten years I think you can add Michael Andretti, Al Unser Jr. Scott Sharp, Buddy Lazier, Buddy Rice, Alex Barron, Jimmy Vassar... etc. all raced at Indy in the last ten years.

BING. ZING! Are those rivets popping as the approach crush depth?

cameraman
10-25-10, 12:39 PM
I suppose the most important question is does Levi Jones have any desire at all to get in an Indy Lights car?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Levi_Jones.jpg

He sure does not look like your average 145 lb Indy car driver to me. Hell he is 28 with a wife & kid(s) and a solid, well sponsored career in USAC, why on God's own good green earth would want to risk that driving against a bunch of kids & wannabes in Indy Lights?

Indy
10-25-10, 01:32 PM
Indy glory, cameraman. Indy glory. :gomer:

swift
10-25-10, 02:26 PM
I guess the oval tracker is the key part there. And they forgot Sarah Fischer, PJ Chesson, Hornish and AJ IV?

Hornish came from a road-racing background (USFF2000 -> Toyota Atlantics). His daddy bought him his ride in the leeeg. Don't tell the :gomer:'s; It'll crush their world.

BarillaGirl
10-25-10, 03:03 PM
why on God's own good green earth would want to risk that driving against a bunch of kids & wannabes in Indy Lights?

Clearly you don't know what Indy means. :gomer:

cameraman
10-25-10, 04:08 PM

Well my family got out of South Bend/Niles around 1925 and other than driving I-80 we haven't been to Indiana since.

pchall
10-25-10, 04:29 PM

Squat.

Andrew Longman
10-25-10, 08:36 PM
Hornish came from a road-racing background (USFF2000 -> Toyota Atlantics)Yes but he sucked.