PDA

View Full Version : Tony Cotman Talks Up 2012 Indy Car Changes

racer2c
10-16-10, 11:29 AM
The 2012 car will be far more efficient than the current car, so it will take far less energy to propel it. Whether it's through engine, transmission, drivetrain or just the overall aerodynamic efficiency of the vehicle in its shape and design, the 2012 car will far outperform the current vehicle.

Engine-wise, we're still actively seeking additional manufacturer participation beyond Honda. The rules are pretty much set and we're continuing to do what we can to entice others. The window of opportunity for 2012 is closing pretty quickly. The vehicle design can accommodate either an I4 or V6 configuration.

http://www.racer.com/tony-cotmans-blog-kitting-out-for-2012/article/180675/

Don Quixote
10-16-10, 11:36 AM
This is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! :gomer:

chop456
10-16-10, 11:38 AM
The window of opportunity for 2012 is closing pretty quickly.

I can hear the engineers scrambling right now to get something put together.

Oh wait - that was a squirrel. Sorry.

dando
10-16-10, 12:09 PM
This is so eggciting!!!!!!!!!!!! :gomer:

Fixed.

-Kevin

dando
10-16-10, 12:10 PM
I can hear the engineers scrambling right now to get something put together.

Oh wait - that was a tree falling in the forest. Sorry.

Fixed. :gomer:

-Kevin

Elmo T
10-16-10, 01:39 PM
2012 Indy cars will be known simply by the name given by the bodywork developer, permitting exploitation of one its most valuable assets – the car name itself. Outside the bodywork, the car is absolutely identical for all competitors so that a contained cost platform is established.

So I have to be willing to put my aero kit on your $#!t box car AND be willing to put my name on it? :shakehead

So when the Audi (powered by Honda) Indycar wins the 2013 I500, their commercial will tout the performance of their aero bits?

oddlycalm
10-16-10, 02:32 PM
So when the Audi (powered by Honda) Indycar wins the 2013 I500, their commercial will tout the performance of their aero bits?Well, when you put it like that.....:gomer:

we're continuing to do what we can to entice others. The window of opportunity for 2012 is closing pretty quickly.
That echo in the forest is window of opportunity for 2012 slamming shut back in 1996.

oc

dando
10-16-10, 02:35 PM
So I have to be willing to put my aero kit on your $#!t box car AND be willing to put my name on it? :shakehead

So when the Audi (powered by Honda) Indycar wins the 2013 I500, their commercial will tout the performance of their aero bits?

Come 'on...the platypus was all the rage back in ~'98 or so....how 'bout the Hanford device? See, I just created a whole new line of car models. :tony: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
10-16-10, 02:57 PM
Chassis: Dallara
Engine: Honda
Doodads: Audi

Yeah, that will sell a lot of cars on Monday.

STD
10-16-10, 06:26 PM
Heck, a brick with square wheels would be more efficient.

Methanolandbrats
10-16-10, 08:10 PM
Efficient? WGAF. How about this, lots of power, looks good, scary fast and hard to drive, ya know a racecar. If I want efficient, I'll watch my neighbor drive her ****ing Prius to the grocerys store.

racer2c
10-17-10, 03:30 PM
Efficient? WGAF. How about this, lots of power, looks good, scary fast and hard to drive, ya know a racecar. If I want efficient, I'll watch my neighbor drive her ****ing Prius to the grocerys store.

Is she hot? ;)

Methanolandbrats
10-17-10, 03:37 PM
Is she hot? ;)

No, anti-hot.

opinionated ow
10-17-10, 07:57 PM
Is she hot? ;)

Of course not...people who drive priuses are either ecomentalist twats or hollywood actresses which amounts to the same thing really...

Methanolandbrats
10-17-10, 08:42 PM
Of course not...people who drive priuses are either ecomentalist twats or hollywood actresses which amounts to the same thing really...

Exactly, fat and stupid describe her. She drives 24.5 mph and holds up traffic wherever she goes because 25 mph is the "law". She lifts off a block before she has to stop and accelerates so slowly I could outrun her for at least a block. She is the epitome of eco-insanity and I really hate the bitch. Next time she gives me **** I am going to tell her to quit eating so much if she wants to reduce her footprint. :D

NismoZ
10-18-10, 10:18 AM
I saw a Prius and an H2 in a driveway the other day. I wonder what goes on inside THAT house!:)

rosawendel
10-18-10, 02:22 PM
side story: going to the in-laws last weekend. the exit off of the highway was a large loop. halfway around my three year old pipes in from the back: "look, daddy! we're going around in circles, just like a crapwagon!".

i love my son.

dando
10-18-10, 02:57 PM
side story: going to the in-laws last weekend. the exit off of the highway was a large loop. halfway around my three year old pipes in from the back: "look, daddy! we're going around in circles, just like a crapwagon!".

i love my son.

Dude, you let your kid watch crapwagons?!? That's child abuse. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

oddlycalm
10-19-10, 04:27 AM
The driver should have to way off the throttle or use the brakes on a flat oval. Make them so the ride buyers piss themselves just a little every time they even think about getting in the car.

oc

Andrew Longman
10-19-10, 11:38 AM
Efficient? WGAF. How about this, lots of power, looks good, scary fast and hard to drive, ya know a racecar. If I want efficient, I'll watch my neighbor drive her ****ing Prius to the grocerys store.Like this?

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-red-bull-x1-prototype-revealed-wspecs/

http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/red-bull-x1-prototype-front-640x689.jpg

http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/red-bull-x1-prototype-side-640x168.jpg

Seriously, maybe drop the turbine and fan (for now) and stick a 950hp I4/V8 Turbo in it and I would be more than willing to get all excited. Stuff like this was to be the logical evolution of Champ car had they not decided to get all gomerrific on us.

It’s been developed in conjunction with Formula 1’s most renowned aerodynamicist, Adrian Newey, and their star F1 driver, Sebastian Vettel. So far, we’ve only seen teaser shots, but now we get a much closer look along with some impressive specifications:
* Engine: gas turbine, 1483bhp @ 15,000RPM, 527lb ft @ 12,000RPM
* Transmission: continuously variable, rear-wheel drive
* Top Speed: 249mph
* Weight: 545kg
* Length/Width/Height: 4750/2180/980mm
* Suzuka Lap Time: 1:11.540 (compare with Vettel’s 2009 F1 lap time of 1:30.833)
* Special Features: enclosed wheels, “fan element” to increase low and medium-speed downforce (much like a vacuum cleaner)

dando
10-19-10, 11:52 AM
Like this?

Not sure about the mirrors. :gomer: :D

Batmobile design...interesting, but the key element that is missing these days is the lack of multiple chassis/engine combos. I'm still stuck in 1998. :\

-Kevin

pchall
10-19-10, 01:24 PM
This is great. Get 33 kids playing GT 5 together and call it the 500. That would be a great cost saving move! "Broadcast" it on the internet and save the expense of opening the actual track up as well.

Don Quixote
10-19-10, 01:44 PM
Not sure about the mirrors. :gomer: :D
Damn, beat me to it! :D

dando
10-19-10, 03:01 PM
Damn, beat me to it! :D

Dude, it's my line...I started it. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-19-10, 05:39 PM
This is great. Get 33 kids playing GT 5 together and call it the 500. That would be a great cost saving move! "Broadcast" it on the internet and save the expense of opening the actual track up as well.Given the time and expense put into developing each version of GT (years, thousands upon thousands of man hours), not released until the designer thinks its perfect, and the amount of interest around the planet among young people and people not so young, into every aspect and detail of the game, and the on line racing community around it, (and Trevor's interest alone) I'd say that is an absolute no brainer and has far more interest already in place than anything Indy car could do in the next 10 years.

emjaya
10-19-10, 05:41 PM
* Engine: gas turbine, 1483bhp @ 15,000RPM, 527lb ft @ 12,000RPM
* Transmission: continuously variable, rear-wheel drive
* Top Speed: 249mph

Meh, 1483bhp and it only does 249mph. I could do that in a Veyron, and have room for a supermodel and a suitcase full of blow.

Back to the drawing board, Newey.

pchall
10-19-10, 07:09 PM
Meh, 1483bhp and it only does 249mph. I could do that in a Veyron, and have room for a supermodel and a suitcase full of blow.

249 does seem rather pokey... Group C cars were hitting 250 on the Mulsanne straight in the late 80s with "only" 800 HP in qualifying trim.

Methanolandbrats
10-19-10, 07:31 PM

Maybe it's geared short for acceleration, with 1483 hp it could go a hell of a lot faster with Salt Flat Gearing.

Gnam
10-19-10, 07:55 PM

Veyron = 249mph in a straight line.
Newey's ride with vacuum assist = 249mph thru Monte Carlo hairpin. :p

mueber
10-20-10, 10:53 AM
The window of opportunity for 2012 is closing pretty quickly.

Kind of like a fruit vendor at the farmer's market saying, "Hurry up and buy, because if you don't buy this crate of rotten fruit, I'm gonna throw it out."

pchall
10-20-10, 12:44 PM
Kind of like a fruit vendor at the farmer's market saying, "Hurry up and buy, because if you don't buy this crate of rotten fruit, I'm gonna throw it out."

Let's see, all they've "delivered" so far is a dodgy rendering of a Dallara Dart Mk. II and a great indication that the engine will be whatever HPD wants to build. Not exactly the basis from which to re-invigorate NAOW racing.