PDA

View Full Version : DTM coming to America in 2013

Trevor Longman
10-15-10, 09:32 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87473

So it is close to being confirmed that the 2013 DTM regs will line up directly with the 2013 Super GT regs over in Japan, and to coincide with that the 2 organizations are looking to run a 12 race season over here in America. Aooarently the daytona mafia are heavily invovled with this and they want to run a 50/50 split of NASCAR and Grand Am races. Presumeably on a few crappy infield road courses with NASCAR and a few of the more natural american road courses will be run with Grand Am. I've got to say though, even with all the NASCAR backing, I would go to see these guys in a heartbeat! :D

opinionated ow
10-15-10, 10:03 AM
Sounds a tad ambitious, that's a major step up from where they are. I'd hate to see the whole thing die in the arse...

Elmo T
10-15-10, 10:04 AM
Sounds interesting - NASCAR's finger on this gives me pause though. :saywhat:

Rogue Leader
10-15-10, 04:41 PM
The advantage here is that a spec for a car that can be raced in the US, Europe, and Asia with no modifications is enticing because it reduces the risk for a team (they can sell the car/parts/spares for a good value should their team need to fold, as opposed to, for example all the CC teams out there stuck with DP-01s that are basically worthless).

That said the manufacturer involvement is always a bitch to the privateers who don't have endless pockets, and considering how thinly spread teams are in sportscars here how many will be willing to pony up to build another 1/2 million dollar race car when the two main local series are trying their best to keep things as cheap as possible.

I'll reserve judgment, I'm even hopeful, but trying to be realistic about it.

Gnam
10-15-10, 04:59 PM
2011 Grand Am road courses:
Apr 08 - Barber
Apr 23 - VIR
May 28 - Lime Rock
Jun 04 - Watkins Glen (long) <--DTM @ Red Bull Ring
Jun 18 - Mid-Ohio <-- DTM @ EuroSpeedway
Jul 16 - New Jersey <-- DTM @ Munich
Aug 6 - Watkins Glen (short) <-- DTM @ Nurburgring
Aug 27 - Montreal
Sep 10 - Tooele, Utah
Oct 19 - VIR

2011 NASCAR road courses:
Jun 19 - Road America (Nationwide)
Jun 26 - Sonoma
Aug 14 - Watkins Glen

How would they run six races with Nascar if they only visit three road courses?

Methanolandbrats
10-15-10, 05:18 PM
DTM as a warm up act for DP *****oxes and Cabs? **** that.

SteveH
10-15-10, 05:19 PM

crappy infield roadcourses :rolleyes:

oddlycalm
10-15-10, 05:32 PM

Presumably crappy ISC infield/ovals. The Daytona crowd aren't dumb enough to run DTM cars on the same circuit during a Cup road race weekend. That would invite very unflattering comparisons. Performance of the big, heavy, underbraked, hard tired Cup cars would look pathetic...:laugh:

That kind of direct comparison has always been a fantasy of mine. :thumbup:

oc

Methanolandbrats
10-15-10, 05:59 PM
Presumably crappy ISC infield/ovals. The Daytona crowd aren't dumb enough to run DTM cars on the same circuit during a Cup road race weekend. That would invite very unflattering comparisons. Performance of the big, heavy, underbraked, hard tired Cup cars would look pathetic...:laugh:

That kind of direct comparison has always been a fantasy of mine. :thumbup:

oc

Cab fans are too dumb to notice the DTM cars outperforms the Cabs.

Indy
10-15-10, 06:16 PM
**** NASCAR and anything they touch.

chop456
10-16-10, 12:12 AM
DTM as a warm up act for DP *****oxes and Cabs? **** that.

Take Friday off, get in free with two Cedar Crest ice cream lids, watch DTM, then go home and have the rest of the weekend free. :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
10-16-10, 01:15 AM
If it were the proper DTM series doing three or four rounds over here, great. If it's run by NASCAR, they'll find a way to suck the coolness out of it.

Standardized regs for the JGTC and DTM make sense, though.

opinionated ow
10-16-10, 01:30 AM
If it were the proper DTM series doing three or four rounds over here, great. If it's run by NASCAR, they'll find a way to suck the coolness out of it.

Standardized regs for the JGTC and DTM make sense, though.

Make Aussie taxis to the same rules and I'd be over the moon...

Methanolandbrats
10-16-10, 08:36 AM
Take Friday off, get in free with two Cedar Crest ice cream lids, watch DTM, then go home and have the rest of the weekend free. :thumbup:

That's a good plan, sometimes ya can get in free for eating brats :gomer:

oddlycalm
10-16-10, 02:36 PM
If it's run by NASCAR, they'll find a way to suck the coolness out of it. ....and find a way to inject a heaping helping of lowest common denominator stooopid into where the coolness used to be.

oc

Don Quixote
10-16-10, 02:59 PM
I think the NASCAR influence will just relax the rules regarding duct tape, bailing wire and hitting the cars with hammers.

pchall
10-18-10, 01:05 PM

You're forgetting the infield/oval road courses. With the right cars it can be spectacular racing. I remember trekking to North Carolina to visit the parents of my then girl friend and combining that trip with IMSA GTP at Charlotte Motorspeedway. Either 84 or 85 -- anyway, spectacular stuff with Lolas, Poarsches, Jags, and Vettes tearing up the place. The wall contacts and the GTPs beating on each other on the banking must have cost a small fortune, though.

Gnam
10-18-10, 01:12 PM
Isn't the infield full of bubbas and RVs during a NASCAR weekend?

Maybe the article meant they are hoping to run at six ISC tracks, not necessarily during a Taxi Cab weekend.

oddlycalm
10-18-10, 05:57 PM
Isn't the infield full of bubbas and RVs during a NASCAR weekend?

Now that would make for some nice infield racing....:gomer:

oc

extramundane
10-18-10, 09:01 PM
You're forgetting the infield/oval road courses. With the right cars it can be spectacular racing.

I suspect it'll be more like when World Challenge raced at Charlotte as a prelim to Cab Qualifying a couple years ago, with temporary chicanes on the front & back stretches.

Not exactly inspiring stuff.

Methanolandbrats
10-18-10, 09:38 PM
I suspect it'll be more like when World Challenge raced at Charlotte as a prelim to Cab Qualifying a couple years ago, with temporary chicanes on the front & back stretches.

Not exactly inspiring stuff.

It will be bad, but not as bad as Formula Acura. :yuck:

mueber
10-20-10, 10:58 AM
Without knowing the specifics, I hope this turns out to be a good thing. I mean, really, what can anyone do to make racing worse than it is right now?

Andrew Longman
10-20-10, 11:46 AM
Without knowing the specifics, I hope this turns out to be a good thing. I mean, really, what can anyone do to make racing worse than it is right now?No kidding. Trevor and other "yoots" have to have some reason for optimism. There is more to racing than vintage youtube clips

extramundane
10-20-10, 12:47 PM
Without knowing the specifics, I hope this turns out to be a good thing. I mean, really, what can anyone do to make racing worse than it is right now?

Bring in yet another "sports car" series to dilute ALMS, GA, Continental and World Challenge even further?

Methanolandbrats
10-20-10, 12:51 PM
..... There is more to racing than vintage youtube clips

You are right, vintage events :gomer:

opinionated ow
10-21-10, 04:23 AM
Bring in yet another "sports car" series to dilute ALMS, GA, Continental and World Challenge even further?

Sorry to be anal, but isn't a sportscar series. It's a touring car series in that it is meant to represent regular road cars rather than sports cars.

chop456
10-21-10, 04:57 AM
The only place you'll find the word "touring" related to cars in the U.S is on the back of a Honda Odyssey.

extramundane
10-21-10, 07:59 AM
Sorry to be anal, but isn't a sportscar series. It's a touring car series in that it is meant to represent regular road cars rather than sports cars.

...which is why there are quotes involved. Most of what passes for "sports cars" (there's those tricky quotes again!) in this country isn't actually sports cars (no quotes this time!), but pretty much anything that's not NASCAR/stock car, open-wheel or motorcycles gets dumped into the vague "sports car" (quotes again!) catch-all.

Gnam
10-21-10, 01:05 PM
BMW has confirmed their return to DTM for 2012.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=391246&FS=DTM

I bet it was the NASCAR connection that brought them back. What happens if you put a number '3' decal on an M3? :gomer:

http://jalopnik.com/5497408/yes-this-is-a-nascar+liveried-bmw-745li

Methanolandbrats
10-21-10, 01:55 PM
LOoks like NASCAR is nuzzling up to the Euros. Makes sense. They have alienated the traditional fan base with the COT, the chase, corporate slickery, multi-car teams.....now we got pseudo-DTM, VW to cab rumors.........they are reaching out to the hi-tech, wine and cheese, euro crowd hoping to snare some new fans. Look for Euro cabs in a next few years.

SteveH
10-21-10, 02:21 PM
LOoks like NASCAR is nuzzling up to the Euros.

Or is it the other way around? Unless the Euros want to race in ALMS (with limited exposure) what other form of racing can they pursue? It looks to me they are chasing ROI and NASCAR can bring that to them - at least the perception is there.

Methanolandbrats
10-21-10, 02:24 PM
Or is it the other way around? Unless the Euros want to race in ALMS (with limited exposure) what other form of racing can they pursue? It looks to me they are chasing ROI and NASCAR can bring that to them - at least the perception is there.

A racing synerjism :gomer:

NismoZ
10-21-10, 07:45 PM
No, BMW, Mercedes etc. have no desire to race at IMS but they'd still like to help sell cars in the US. Not many choices at present so why not introduce one that works!?

Methanolandbrats
10-21-10, 08:35 PM
ALMS GT2 Works.

cameraman
10-31-10, 03:03 PM
Well Alex Premat just made a serious attempt at killing himself in today's DTM race.

udMob3c2RSY

The ever lovely Ms Legge was fourth.

Methanolandbrats
10-31-10, 04:37 PM
Well Alex Premat just made a serious attempt at killing himself in today's DTM race.

udMob3c2RSY

The ever lovely Ms Legge was fourth.

What a mess, those cars don't hold up very well :gomer:

SteveH
10-31-10, 04:42 PM
tubbed

opinionated ow
10-31-10, 10:35 PM
What a mess, those cars don't hold up very well :gomer:

I assume you're being sarcastic because that car did it's job to perfection. It broke up to dissipate energy and the end result was Premat walking away seemingly ok.

Methanolandbrats
10-31-10, 11:00 PM
I assume you're being sarcastic because that car did it's job to perfection. It broke up to dissipate energy and the end result was Premat walking away seemingly ok.

Spot-on assumption :D

racermike
12-17-10, 06:59 AM
I would LOVE to see these cars race at PIR here in Portland! (I know slim chance of that happening, but humor me!)

The neckcar infield road courses will not serve those cars justice.