PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City balances its budget

cameraman
10-14-10, 09:55 PM
Oh my, in a major crackdown the SLC PD is handing out $150 jaywalking tickets on Main Street. The temptation to jaywalk across the track & 12 feet of asphalt is great. So are the revenues.:saywhat:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Main.jpg

Methanolandbrats
10-14-10, 09:57 PM
Oh my, in a major crackdown the SLC PD is handing out $150 jaywalking tickets on Main Street. The temptation to jaywalk across the track & 12 feet of asphalt is great. So are the revenues.:saywhat:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Main.jpg

I'd tell the judge to **** himself and spend a few days in jail before I'd pay that. If everyone did that the nazis would quit that crap because $150 won't pay for judges, pigs and jail cells.

TravelGal
10-15-10, 01:32 AM
Welcome to LA. $175 (minimum) traffic ticket plus $156 "court costs" IF you do the online class. Only advantage to that is no license points. It's the only readily expandable revenue stream.

opinionated ow
10-15-10, 02:22 AM
Welcome to LA. $175 (minimum) traffic ticket plus $156 "court costs" IF you do the online class. Only advantage to that is no license points. It's the only readily expandable revenue stream.

Here in New South Wales (where we have the worst government in Australian history), they've put in private enterprise to catch trivial speeding offences! I'm yet to find one person who supports it; the general community feeling is that we employ a police force to uphold the law, not private enterprise...

emjaya
10-15-10, 07:46 AM
In town the police headquarters is opposite a train station and QLD police have free travel, so a lot of police officers take the train to work.

One year, during their annual jaywalking blitz, the police staked out the road outside the police headquarters and gave everybody who jaywalked a ticket. Some very unhappy senior police officers that day. :D

Of course, they will need more than jawalking revenue to balance the books in QLD, but every little bit helps.

Methanolandbrats
10-15-10, 08:28 AM
Our local storm troopers have not thought of this yet, probably just a matter of time.

Indy
10-15-10, 08:39 AM
"Tax that guy to pay for the stuff I want, just don't tax me."

To Hell with humanity.

TKGAngel
10-15-10, 09:49 AM
Our local county mounties & state storm troopers announce in advance when they will be doing their speeding/cell/seat belt/distracted driving blitz. It's funny to hear about how many people get ticketed when they know in advance that they cops will be out.

The cops also have been known to park outside the football stadium and check registration & inspection stickers while cars are stuck in postgame traffic.

Methanolandbrats
10-15-10, 10:13 AM
Our local county mounties & state storm troopers announce in advance when they will be doing their speeding/cell/seat belt/distracted driving blitz. It's funny to hear about how many people get ticketed when they know in advance that they cops will be out.

The cops also have been known to park outside the football stadium and check registration & inspection stickers while cars are stuck in postgame traffic.

If that's all they have to do, a logical person would conclude your city has too many cops and firing half of them would help the budget. :)

dando
10-15-10, 10:20 AM
Here in New South Wales (where we have the worst government in Australian history), they've put in private enterprise to catch trivial speeding offences! I'm yet to find one person who supports it; the general community feeling is that we employ a police force to uphold the law, not private enterprise...

Dude, welcome to the USSA...we employ red light cameras that are operated by a 3rd party, with a portion of the profits going to the city. $100 a pop. Sad thing is that the lights/intersections that need the cameras don't have them. :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

racer2c
10-15-10, 10:36 AM
Dude, welcome to the USSA...we employ red light cameras that are operated by a 3rd party, with a portion of the profits going to the city. $100 a pop. Sad thing is that the lights/intersections that need the cameras don't have them. :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

When red light camera's first started showing up in the late 90's in Northern VA the local gov at least pretended to be installing them for safety reasons. This summer in St Pete they installed red light camera's for the sole purpose of increased revenue as stated by the city's mayor.

TKGAngel
10-15-10, 11:12 AM
If that's all they have to do, a logical person would conclude your city has too many cops and firing half of them would help the budget. :)

Ha. The City of Buffalo cops have the real crime to deal with. The suburban dudes are big into the car violations, wild animals, loud kids and "he moved my garbage cans" calls.

dando
10-15-10, 11:14 AM
When red light camera's first started showing up in the late 90's in Northern VA the local gov at least pretended to be installing them for safety reasons. This summer in St Pete they installed red light camera's for the sole purpose of increased revenue as stated by the city's mayor.

That's pretty much the reasoning here in Cbus. :irked: Voters in Heath, OH were wise when they voted them to be removed a few years ago. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Gnam
10-15-10, 12:34 PM
Some of the smaller cities around San Francisco are disbanding their police departments and outsourcing the jobs to the county sheriff or neighboring towns. The overhead costs were just too high.

Speed and red light cameras don't get overtime or pensions, but they also don't answer 911 calls.

cameraman
10-15-10, 02:21 PM
The Salt Lake Valley desperately needs red light cameras on every damned signal. I have never witnessed so many people blowing so many red lights in my life. It is truly insane around here.:flame:

Methanolandbrats
10-15-10, 02:28 PM
The Salt Lake Valley desperately needs red light cameras on every damned signal. I have never witnessed so many people blowing so many red lights in my life. It is truly insane around here.:flame:

Ya, same here. I really don't have a problem with redlight cameras if they only ticket people who enter the intersection AFTER the light turns red. If you do that you really are a dangerous arsehole and deserve it. :mad:

Don Quixote
10-15-10, 02:51 PM
I once got a warning letter from Crested Butte, Colorado for speeding past a camera radar. I knew it happened at the time because the bright flash obviously got me. For some crazy reason the speed limit in "downtown" Crested Butte is 15mph. It is almost impossible to drive that slow. My warning notice said I was going 17 in a 15, and said that this was my final warning. :gomer:

cameraman
10-15-10, 03:41 PM
Just be careful in Utah on Highway 6/191 in Wellington. The speed drops from 65 to 40 and they ticket at 40.0001 mph. All day, everyday there is a radar looking at you. Not automatic (yet), just local cops writing tickets for a living.

It runs right through the center of town and gets tons of traffic heading to and from southern Utah. They do not put up with speeders, period.

Indy
10-15-10, 06:14 PM
Shotguns work wonders on automated cameras.

grungex
10-15-10, 10:09 PM
I'm sure they work well on traffic cops, too, but... :cool:

Methanolandbrats
10-15-10, 10:12 PM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/DogsL0403_468x336.jpg

opinionated ow
10-16-10, 01:29 AM
Shotguns work wonders on automated cameras.

FSguQg_bK38

The dutch have you beat. NSFW about 5:40 for a couple of seconds.