PDA

View Full Version : Chile miners

G.
10-12-10, 10:47 PM
Hope all goes well!

Everybody on the surface needs to dress up like this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/20/planet_of_the_apes_1968_apes_3.jpg

SteveH
10-12-10, 11:14 PM
:rofl:

Don Quixote
10-12-10, 11:20 PM
Now that would be funny. And build this nearby:

http://www.ballardian.com/images/statue_planet.jpg

Methanolandbrats
10-13-10, 12:51 AM
:laugh::laugh:

emjaya
10-13-10, 08:26 AM
I can't wait for miner twenty to come up. He's the one who's wife and girlfriend met at the mine while crying over him.

Methanolandbrats
10-13-10, 08:35 AM
I can't wait for miner twenty to come up. He's the one who's wife and girlfriend met at the mine while crying over him.

They might as well leave him there.

TKGAngel
10-13-10, 09:23 AM

Does he know that his wife & lady friend met up or is it going to be a surprise?

devilmaster
10-13-10, 03:22 PM
Here comes yonni barrios.... :)

He was the chief doc.... word is wife wont be there to greet him.

[Edit] woman who met him wasn't wearing a wedding band.... but state television called her espousa. (Spouse)

Elmo T
10-13-10, 03:36 PM
I've seen people do some heroic things, but my hat is off to Manuel González who went down that hole to assist in the rescue. :thumbup:

The first rescuer: former baller Manuel González (http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_football/2884490.html)

Orange anti-ignition kit, black goggles and a white helmet with his name on it: "Manuel González". This former footballer of O'Higgins of Chile, of 46 years old, faced the toughest match of his life. He became the first rescuer that went down to the gold and copper mine of San José, in Copiapó (800 km. north of Santiago), to save the 33 men that were trapped there since the 5th of August after a collapse of the walls.

devilmaster
10-13-10, 03:42 PM
Absolutely. The reality is, if the capsule gets stuck halfway in the shaft, it is entirely possible that they might never get it out and that becomes that persons' coffin.

Gangrel
10-13-10, 04:12 PM
Absolutely. The reality is, if the capsule gets stuck halfway in the shaft, it is entirely possible that they might never get it out and that becomes that persons' coffin.

This is a possibility, thought they do have two partially completed bore holes in addition to the one they are using, and the backup plan is that they complete one of the other holes and proceed with the rescue. I would hope they sent enough rations down the hole for them to have supplies to last for a backup plan.

That said, "balls the size of coconuts" doesn't even begin to sum it up when speaking of the guys who went down into the hole to assist with the rescue.

:eek:

Gnam
10-13-10, 05:49 PM
I am also impressed with the way they've been able to care for the miners' health.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/11/ascent-could-bring-bends-chokes-miners-to-be-monitored-closely/

TravelGal
10-13-10, 07:29 PM
I have to tell you, I cannot do anything today except watch the live feed. How in the world does that last man get out? He seals himself in that capsule? O M G.

Elmo T
10-13-10, 07:32 PM
I have to tell you, I cannot do anything today except watch the live feed. How in the world does that last man get out? He seals himself in that capsule? O M G.

I think the harder part is sealing in the second to last. Last dude has to wait an hour by himself. :eek:

Methanolandbrats
10-13-10, 09:04 PM
I wonder if any of them are in the looney bin now because of claustrophobia?

Andrew Longman
10-13-10, 09:51 PM
I am REALLY impressed at the level and detail of planning that has gone into every aspect of this rescue. Down to contacting NASA, much consideration to psychological aspects, to who and how many family member can greet them and how they get picked, to diet, to who comes out first and last and why, to three holes being bored and multiple testing.

And the president is all over every detail

This is hardly the stuff of a third world nation and shames some the rescue attempt I've seen recently in the USA. Very cool.

TravelGal
10-13-10, 10:14 PM
I think the harder part is sealing in the second to last. Last dude has to wait an hour by himself. :eek:

Good point. While the jubilation over the 33rd miner was taking place, I was wondering about the delay in sending down the capsule to get the rescue workers. But, as mentioned, they were probably briefed that it would be an extra 20 minutes or so before the first of them got to return to the surface.

As Andrew said, this was thoroughly thought through. One thing I've particularly noticed is that the family members were so well briefed. They were brought out with enough time to cry if necessary but to be ready when their loved one appeared. They did not rush them but waited until they were unstrapped and welcomed (evaluated) by the top-side rescue workers.

The president of Chile took a huge risk to televise all this and it paid off. I said to TravelGuy that those minors were lucky that it happened in Chile because it is the most stable and developed country in South America.

Waiting for the last of the rescue workers to come back to the surface.......

G.
10-13-10, 10:51 PM
I'll bet they're big fans of strip mining now.

Nice job Chile!

Opposite Lock
10-13-10, 11:47 PM
Since his last log-in date is apparently 07-30-09, I'm not gonna get too worked up aboot props and all of that, but one Mr. 'hole posted this elsewhere, and I thought it needed to be cross-posted here in this most excellent thread:

http://www.zewg.net/dump/photo/ChileMine.png

:D

Gnam
10-14-10, 12:08 AM
I am REALLY impressed at the level and detail of planning that has gone into every aspect of this rescue.
moon shot. :thumbup:

They came. They saw. They kicked some ass.

devilmaster
10-14-10, 12:18 AM
moon shot. :thumbup:
They came. They saw. They kicked some ass.

We have the tools! We have the talent!

Its miller time!

Indy
10-14-10, 02:24 AM
Chile is not a third world nation.

KLang
10-14-10, 09:04 AM
Chile is not a third world nation.

Nope. I also cannot recall a similar accident in the US either that we should feel shame over. :shakehead

Congrats to all involved.

Indy
10-14-10, 10:28 AM
As I think about the good that can come from this, I am reminded that many Americans have little idea of what exists outside of the U.S., and probably most accept the "greatest nation on earth" as gospel without every questioning it veracity. The truth is that many countries we ignorantly consider to be inferior are in fact quite advanced and their citizens enjoy standards of living equal to or superior to that which we are accustomed.

I think what I enjoyed seeing in this most of all was the obvious caring and concern displayed by the Chilean people and their government. They clearly are a people who hold every human life to be precious. Bravo to them.

ChampcarShark
10-14-10, 10:53 AM
I wonder if any of them are in the looney bin now because of claustrophobia?

I do not think you can be both a miner and claustrophobic.

The minute you start going down the entrance of the mine you will know, and you have to back up immediately, I know for experience, I can no longer visit Carlsbad Caverns cause I developed claustrophobia.

Now that is a well lit place, but the feeling of the enclosed place is enormous.

Don Quixote
10-14-10, 11:25 AM
I do not think you can be both a miner and claustrophobic.

The minute you start going down the entrance of the mine you will know, and you have to back up immediately, I know for experience, I can no longer visit Carlsbad Caverns cause I developed claustrophobia.

Now that is a well lit place, but the feeling of the enclosed place is enormous. Absolutely, underground miners, as a rule, do not suffer from claustrophobia. The cable news gurus that were suggesting this were real experts in the field I am sure.

Methanolandbrats
10-14-10, 11:43 AM
Absolutely, underground miners, as a rule, do not suffer from claustrophobia. The cable news gurus that were suggesting this were real experts in the field I am sure.

I would think most would not, but being folded up in a coffin and dragged through a little hole is extreme even for them.

Don Quixote
10-14-10, 12:00 PM
I would think most would not, but being folded up in a coffin and dragged through a little hole is extreme even for them.Based on the miners I have met here in Colorado, I bet most of those guys would go right back to work underground in short order. We are talking Macho with a capital M.

Andrew Longman
10-14-10, 12:33 PM
Nope. I also cannot recall a similar accident in the US either that we should feel shame over. :shakehead

Congrats to all involved.

No not third world but not the first place most people would think of for this sort of technical expertise and organization. And they'd obviously be wrong.

As for some of our screw ups, start with Sago Mine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sago_Mine_disaster. "They're Alive!, oops not."

oddlycalm
10-15-10, 07:12 PM
Is it true that Brett Favre texted the miners a congratulatory picture of his penis...?

oc

Gnam
10-15-10, 07:59 PM
:D

TravelGal
10-19-10, 12:55 AM
So now that they are out and the mine owners have declared bankruptcy, according to AP, they are all back home and out of a job. What happened to "we're going to take care of them for six months at a minimum?" :irked:

cameraman
10-19-10, 01:28 AM
Reality hit. The mine is a total loss and they owe cubic dollars for the rescue.

G.
10-19-10, 11:28 AM
So now that they are out and the mine owners have declared bankruptcy, according to AP, they are all back home and out of a job. What happened to "we're going to take care of them for six months at a minimum?" :irked:
That blurb was poorly written (by everyone, in other words, probably AP line crap). The 6 mos. was for mental health from the gov't.

TravelGal
10-19-10, 02:01 PM
That blurb was poorly written (by everyone, in other words, probably AP line crap). The 6 mos. was for mental health from the gov't.

I know it was supposed to be for mental health from the government but what happened to the $20,000 for the initial interview, blah, blah, blah. I just mean these guys are now yesterday's news and they are still living 16 to the room. Still :irked: