PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering about the search feature...

devilmaster
10-05-10, 11:28 PM
With the reduction of the spiders and bots, just wondering if its possible to lower the 45 second time wait between forum searches....

Its not often I get into searching for old posts, but with vbulletin's wonky search feature (can't distinguish between words that end with a period and don't, etc) there are times I'd like to speed up the search process.

If it don't hog bandwith and is possible, thanks in advance. :)

nrc
10-07-10, 09:30 PM
Hmm. Not a bad idea.

SteveH
10-07-10, 09:37 PM
With the reduction of the spiders and bots,

What's the story behind this? Do search engines use something else to index websites?

devilmaster
10-07-10, 09:47 PM
What's the story behind this? Do search engines use something else to index websites?

I had asked for this a few years back, mostly because when i'm trying to find an old post, Vbulletin has a godawful search feature. The best example I gave was that I remembered typing the word fire in a post. Countless searches missed it. The problem was that in that post, the word fire had a period at the end of it. fire. VB's search feature can't distinguish the word from the period with it.

Anyways, IIRC (and honestly, maybe i dont), the reason not to lower the wait time between searches was because of overactive spiders and such that were hogging website bandwith.

A couple years back, nrc put in a robots.txt file which stopped them from crawling the main site, and forced them to only crawl the OC archive.

Since a recent PM got me doing a search for a particular post, and once again couldn't find it in early searches, it reminded me of the annoyance of 45 second waits between them.

pchall
11-22-10, 12:04 PM
Maybe I could find my Speed Racer thread again.